2020 Marks The Start Of Our Orwellian Dystopia -

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
The past had more glamour though, the art deco and other styles of the 1930s through 1950s get me rock hard.

What I would give to hang out in some 1940s era nightclub and maybe bed a dame or two.

This is one thing the modern world is lacking is aesthetics, everything's "minimalist" now, the modern Apple computer aesthetic, so bland, so boring.

Even the early 2000s had a nice aesthetic compared to now, the lack of aesthetics is a reflection of how soulless and empty headed people are becoming.
Isn't it strange? The Aesthetic Philosophy is all about form over function. Now that our modern Hedonists can consooom all the form they please, all we have is wintergreen. (I won't insult vanilla, I consider it one of the best flavors).

I guess some hedonists make up for it with their 'other' proclivities.
The only thing straight about Apple product purchasers is the lines on the MacBook.

Exterminate Leftists

Who needs nuance when you have a helicopter?
kiwifarms.net
Damn, came in this thread to laugh and it was feels all of the way down. Snow Crash doesn't get mentioned enough in these doomer threads. It ties in nicely with Demolition Man and BNW. VR, Google Earth, corporate mercs, burbclaves, we see a lot of it happening right now. The cool skateboards and robot attack dogs have yet to be seen, I remain optimistic.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is one thing the modern world is lacking is aesthetics, everything's "minimalist" now, the modern Apple computer aesthetic, so bland, so boring.
Beauty is expensive (and maybe problematic).

So bare minimum to be functional it is.

I live in a shitty city - there's no history or culture - and everything around here is like that. It's like a giant shopping center of shopping centers. No skyscrapers around here either. No nature, just token landscaping between excess pavement. Nothing is free except breathing and sunshine - forget growing food.

It's the Bob Chipman approved way!

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Isn't it strange? The Aesthetic Philosophy is all about form over function. Now that our modern Hedonists can consooom all the form they please, all we have is wintergreen. (I won't insult vanilla, I consider it one of the best flavors).

I guess some hedonists make up for it with their 'other' proclivities.
The only thing straight about Apple product purchasers is the lines on the MacBook.
Aesthetics are just part of the human soul, the fact that we have the aesthetic we have now speaks dividends.

I should say though that I'm talking about aesthetics as in architectural and industrial design, fashion and other stuff is a bit of a different story, some of that's ok (for example one thing I like is modern female swimwear, that looks pretty good) but some of it looks like shit (your typical SJW that makes themselves look ugly as shit)

But as for architectural and industrial design I really would love to see a "neo deco" style someday, if you're played the 2017 game Prey that imagines an alternate future with a "neo deco" design motif that looks cool as hell, there's also the Japanese artist Range Murata and his mechanical and clothing designs that are often art deco inspired, something like that is what I envision.

For an example of shitty modern architectural design though there's Disney World's upcoming "Reflections" hotel, there's just something about this that looks shitty to me and it's a real ill fit in Disney World, the 1990s Fort Wilderness hotel which is similar in theming has a lot more character.

ReflectionsADisneyLakesideLodge2.jpg

Damn, came in this thread to laugh and it was feels all of the way down. Snow Crash doesn't get mentioned enough in these doomer threads. It ties in nicely with Demolition Man and BNW. VR, Google Earth, corporate mercs, burbclaves, we see a lot of it happening right now. The cool skateboards and robot attack dogs have yet to be seen, I remain optimistic.
I've talked about Neal Stephenson on the Farms before, Snow Crash is very prophetic as if The Diamond Age, Snow Crash seems to be our near future, The Diamond Age our far future.

The world Stephenson depicts in both books is the polar opposite of the Star Trek type united world and humanity, it's a future where identity politics are still a thing and that's easily one of the most accurate predictions a sci fi writer has ever made.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can we not play this fucking game when we're LOCKED IN OUR FUCKING HOMES AND SUPPOSED TO BE ACCEPTING OF A "NEW NORMAL"?
I'm in Europe. That part is done now. It won't be until late august until they're going to pull that one again, so I'm typing this from my phone, while drinking a beer in the sun outside at a cafe, watching people hug outside.

If you're stuck as long as people were stuck in trenches, talk to me again.

Last edited:

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I think the Orwell book that's most relevant to "Current Year" is Animal Farm more than anything else.
Having reread this last week, I agree. I recommend everyone read or re-read it. If nothing else, it's extremely short and doesn't take much time to read. It's probably the shortest "classic" book there is actually, so you can feel slightly more educated without spending a lot of time. But it's also actually good.

Snow Crash is another good and very prescient one that got recommended to me by another Farmer.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Here's the dystopia I see coming...

1) You're going to need at least one social media account to function.

For example:

Mortgage companies require you to have home insurance on any mortgaged home. Municipalities generally require to keep your property in good repair, and municipal bylaws tend to be getting more and more restrictive. I think that is going to lead to most municipalities requiring you to have insurance on your home in case something should happen, even if you don't have a mortgage, because they don't want 123 main street to be a smoking crater should the house burn down. Insurance companies are increasingly making use of social media to determine premiums. I think that eventually will lead to a point where you have top submit your social media information to get insurance, and thus to get a mortgage and potentially even own a house outright, you have to allow the insurance company to monitor your social media accounts.

So what of people with no social media accounts? I think once insurance companies get used to using social media to determine premiums, they're either going to refuse to give insurance to people who won't submit accounts or charge them exorbitantly high premiums while saying, "Well, it's impossible to evaluate how big of a risk you are to insure without access to your social media."

I also think that we're rapidly approaching a point where many employers will not consider hiring you unless you submit social media accounts. It's not an issue at low wage and blue collar jobs yet, but it's coming.

It is difficult to do some things today without social media account such as dating, but you can function fine without them. I haven't had a social media account for eight years, for example. However, I think the point is rapidly coming where you're going to need it to even land minimum wage jobs or get insurance.

2) Now consider that companies like Facebook and Twitter are increasingly eroding your ability to remain anomyous on their platforms. Both now require that you use a cell phone number to register your account.

Think about what you get when you combine these two things. Are we approaching a world where if you violate Facebook's terms of service you lose your account and are unable to get a new one because it will require some form of identification? In turn will that prevent you from being able to get insurance and thus buying a home? If the white collar company hiring you wants to see your social media account and you're permabanned, do you think they'll hire a banned pantshitter? We're staring down the barrel of social media companies having de facto control of your life, are we not?

It may seem farcical, but it's not that long ago that the idea you needed a bank account to function seemed farcical.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Then what is 2030 then?
If the current trend of "everything is going to shit" continues, it'll make 2020 look like a nostalgic paradise in comparison.

Or 2030 could be better as @Syaoran Li said - the "Current Year" "zeitgeist" will finally be over - it'll just be "the present".

Or 2030 could be better because the end of the world happened by then - but on the plus side, the current shitty world is gone.

Julias_Seizure2

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
I am kinda curious how many rip offs of 1984 this shit is going to inspire. Could just call it 2048 for maximum unoriginality.

Would be kind of interesting though to see the same idea done just with modern technology where everyones phone is required by law to be on them at all times to be GPS tracked with the mic always on, facial recognition surveilance cameras everywhere leaving no blind spots anywhere, everyone is expected to police everyone else so they can get some social credit points and if your score is low anyone can do anything to you and its perfectly legal, really low and its encouraged

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: PsychoNerd054
Tags
None