• "bleaching your anus is the butt version of haircuts tbh"

A post Net Neutrality America

Discussion in 'Deep Thoughts' started by PortsideDave, Dec 4, 2017.

Forum Guidelines

This forum is for deep thoughts and more serious discussion. Please be mindful when challenging someone's opinions and beliefs.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards.
    1. Thanks to @MarvinTheParanoidAndroid for posting the article, but I'll try to summarize since Wikipedia can be autistically wordy. I recognize I have a layman's understanding of the situation, so someone can correct me if I say something exceptional.

Net neutrality is legislation that forces ISPs to not give preferential treatment to delivering any certain type of data to its customers. An example of the sort of thing NN would allegedly fix is IPSs throttling competing streaming media services like Netflix to encourage their own digital media service.

The libertarian argument against NN is that the free market will correct the ISPs if they get out of line. NN just puts arbitrary restrictions on what companies in the private sector can do, and may even put the US government in a position to muck with the internet at large.

The arguments for NN range from the socialized ('Internet should be a government-provided utility anyway') to the cynical ('ISPs are too powerful and swat down competition, NN is necessary as a band-aid')

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
      kiwifarms.is
    2. Thinking that corporations would ever look out for you and “do the right thing” when there’s money to be made is pure :autism:

• Winner Winner x 10
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feels Feels x 1
      JaneThough

JaneThough I have a headache

kiwifarms.is
    3. this is exactly why it's gonna suck - too bad this is something worth causing actual rebel activity against, instead of whining on social media, which is what millenials would rather do, instead of properly fighting back.

• Agree Agree x 6
      Shokew

Shokew ...Continues to let the world burn!

kiwifarms.is
    4. And come the 14th, they'll not be able to do that.

And I don't know if that's going to be a bad thing, or a secret blessing in disguise.

Jewelsmakerguy

Jewelsmakerguy Now with reflective shade

kiwifarms.is
    5. To get a bit pedantic, it's not actually the TYPE of data. ISPs have always prioritized certain types of data and this is actually necessary to ensure quality of service. For instance, if you used to have an ISP that could only deliver 2400 baud modem service, you obviously had to de-prioritize stuff like video or people who constantly downloaded at full capacity, so that your other customers got the stuff like text from Usenet or email that they wanted and were paying for.

Net neutrality is not about the type of data. There is always high bandwidth crap that has to be throttled to some degree just to keep the series of tubes working.

It's about it being neutral as to the source. ISPs should not get to be treated as common carriers and at the same time censor sources just because they're business competitors, any more than the phone company can't turn off your phone service because you said something in favor of Trump when you were talking to your mom and they were spying on you.

There are actually foundational documents about the Internet and how it works, that go back to the '60s, that are called RFCs (Requests for Comment). They're basically the Federalist Papers of the Internet. If you want to know why the Internet works the way it does and how it got this way, read some.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Informative Informative x 4
      AnOminous

AnOminous HO HO HO YOU HOS
      True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.is
    6. lol your parents obviously pay for your internet

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Autistic Autistic x 2
      • DRINK DRINK x 1
      • Dumb Dumb x 1
      CatParty

CatParty Boo
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    7. If only! You must be lucky.

• Feels Feels x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      Gym Leader Elesa

Gym Leader Elesa All Hail Queen Elvanna!
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    8. Don't see how that has to do with NN being total bullshit for matters that are just pulled out of nowhere, but whatever.

• Feels Feels x 1
      • Dumb Dumb x 1
      Give Her The D

Give Her The D give her the dick

kiwifarms.is
    9. it'll make sense when people who have to pay extra for the extra internet access have to pay for extra internet access. and once people who don't care about such things because they are not involved in household finances eventually do have to deal with finances then it'll make sense

• Agree Agree x 6
      CatParty

CatParty Boo
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    10. I guess.

I just wonder what KF's official stance on it is.

• Feels Feels x 2
      Give Her The D

Give Her The D give her the dick

kiwifarms.is
    11. So far, it seems an overwhelming “Net Neutrality Good” with some :autism: in between. You can read Null’s own thoughts here:

Upcoming vote on Net Neutrality laws

• Agree Agree x 2
      JaneThough

JaneThough I have a headache

kiwifarms.is
    12. I pay for both my internet and the internet of my family back home, but none of that implies that I understand the issue or what is involved. Figured it didn't hurt to ask about what I didn't know. I manage the finances of multiple households. I can't keep up with every shift in Congress. As I said, I'm dumb.

• Feels Feels x 4
      • DRINK DRINK x 1
      Gym Leader Elesa

Gym Leader Elesa All Hail Queen Elvanna!
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    13. it would be exactly the same as it is now because all of the bad stuff it was supposed to prevent is already happening indirectly

you cant win a battle you already lost a long time ago

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
      • Dumb Dumb x 1
      OwO What's This?

OwO What's This? *tackleglomps u* x3
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    14. This whole fucking thread.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid This will all end in tears, I just know it.

kiwifarms.is
    15. Law in the United States is kayfabe. Pure theatre. The topic of 'net neutrality' is a waste of everyone's time. The mega-corporations will do whatever they want until you stop paying income tax. I do not know why our country attempts to entertain its citizens with abjectly stupid shit like 'net neutrality' bills. Maybe those in power just want another thing to masturbate to. Perhaps they just want to be reminded that they have power over a country of effeminate, mentally disabled faggots.

• Autistic Autistic x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
      • Dumb Dumb x 1
      kiwifarms.is
    16. Actually, yes it has.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Deviant Deviant x 1
      MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.is
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Autistic Autistic x 1
      CWCchange

CWCchange Professional Hikikomori

kiwifarms.is
    17. The Philippines isn't real. They just pump hallucinogens into the plane and start playing Idiocracy on loop.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      OwO What's This?

OwO What's This? *tackleglomps u* x3
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    18. I want to believe, Scully.

• Feels Feels x 1
      MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.is