Amanda Winn-Lee / amandawinnlee / painkillershopping - IRL Friend of Brianna Wu. Professional Voice Actress. Giant Politisperg. Psychopath.

• DDoS is active again.

PorkeyDuck

kiwifarms.net
1616554539771.png

HangEight

Lvl. 50 Pog Amateur
kiwifarms.net
Agree that the new dub is shit, but damn she’s trying really hard to latch onto her role of Rei.

Whenever Eva comes up she goes and acts like she was a major part of the cast the glued everything together even though Rei barely says anything. She's the worst of the several Reis we've had even though Rei has the closest thing to no personality and has an easy voice to do, any middle aged wine-mom they could've just pulled out from the street and paid them to say some lines would've done as good as a job as she did.

Granted if the only other things I was really known for were voicing the main girl in P4 everyone hates the most and being a bitch on Twitter I’d probably latch onto Rei as much as I could too lmao

Last edited:

HangEight

Lvl. 50 Pog Amateur
kiwifarms.net
Rei Ayanami is one of my favorite characters, so the fact that she is voiced by AWL in the original series depresses me, I gotta say.
Eh don't get too upset about it, Rei has the personality of sawdust and doesn't really talk that much anyways, literally anyone could get her voice down pretty easy. Still funny that she tries so hard to latch onto reprising that role even though she's gotten the big middle finger from dubbing studios multiple times for it.

Last edited:

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Eh don't get too upset about it, Rei has the personality of sawdust and doesn't really talk that much anyways, literally anyone could get her voice down pretty easy. Still funny that she tries so hard to latch onto reprising that role even though she's gotten the big middle finger from dubbing studios multiple times for it.
Dude anyone can play rei. you aren't missing out on anything really.
True, but still, the fact that AWL is attached to her makes it hard for me to watch the original dubbed again. At least there's always the subbed version.

Also, I would argue that Rei has far more depth to her character than meets the eye, but that's an entirely different topic, and I better quit while I'm ahead. XD

The Token Ethnic

今すぐパジャマを脱ぎ舍てて
kiwifarms.net
The alleged story is that Khara wanted the dub for 3.0 redone since the Funi localization was wildly incorrect. Apparently there was someone from the company at the screening and they didn't like the audience reaction at all. So they told Funi to use a revised dub/sub script done by Khara and after that was done, went with Netflix since they had control over the translation. There's a post on Something Awful with more detail about the the whole ordeal: https://archive.ph/wip/TKF3p and there's a reddit thread on this as well

HighwayStar

kiwifarms.net
The alleged story is that Khara wanted the dub for 3.0 redone since the Funi localization was wildly incorrect. Apparently there was someone from the company at the screening and they didn't like the audience reaction at all. So they told Funi to use a revised dub/sub script done by Khara and after that was done, went with Netflix since they had control over the translation. There's a post on Something Awful with more detail about the the whole ordeal: https://archive.ph/wip/TKF3p and there's a reddit thread on this as well
I read through this post and this is very fascinating stuff. I had no idea the Otakon premiere was that badly received by Khara and the fact that a Khara employee was there is ironic considering that a Japanese producer was also present when AWL did that infamous dance with the penguin. This actually adds a different perspective on this whole thing and it makes me wonder:

Was Matt's original "script" as good as AWL claimed it to be?
Probably not.

Last edited: