Are lolcows the result of nature or nurture? -

Begemot

What you eat defines you....
i think it's mostly nurture, and furthermore mostly nurture later in life, particularly online nurture. i'm willing to bet that most lolcows wouldn't be lolcows if they weren't involved in toxic communities that feed into and reinforce their pathologies.

null usually makes this point with respect to furries.
Yeah, agreed, it's a flow-on effect of online cultures exacerbating their pathologies as normal. Echo chambers create a need for continual tribal markers: the troon community with its current extremism being a case in point. So, a mixture, online cultures take the nature of autism and nurture them towards, well.,,lolcowdom and degeneracy.

The "participation award" generation (aka millennials) are a big part of why there are so many snowflakes out there, so I'm going to say mostly nurture.

Disagree. Technology just allows us to see more of them immediately. There were creeps and spergs for decades, they just hid away from the public or stayed hidden in like comic book stores or something.

Furry fandom is how old? Like 30 years now? There's no good external explanation for that. A bunch of people naturally thought Bugs Bunny looked hot when he put on a dress. That's nature.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
Disagree. Technology just allows us to see more of them immediately. There were creeps and spergs for decades, they just hid away from the public or stayed hidden in like comic book stores or something.

Furry fandom is how old? Like 30 years now? There's no good external explanation for that. A bunch of people naturally thought Bugs Bunny looked hot when he put on a dress. That's nature.
I dunno, man. When you raise an entire generation telling them things like "there's not such thing as a stupid question" and "you should do whatever makes you happy" and constantly tell them they're "great and wonderful and special" and shit, I think that sets a level of entitlement that real life could never promise or give.

shasetoma.

ID: Heaven
I think that nature has a lot to do with the potential for any one person to be a cow and nurture decides whether or not they actually become a cow later on in life unless their nature is just so obnoxious and shameless that it becomes an inevitability, much like how some children are predisposed to antisocial or even violent behavior even if their parents did everything they could do to mitigate it.

Furries are sex offenders trying to get close to kids while pretending to be cute animals.

The Crow

Forever Changed
It can honestly be a mix of both. Some people are just born with shit genes (eg. Erik Moracek), while plenty of others are enabled by their parents/friends/peers to be exceptional (eg. furries, bronies, troons, etc.).

A bunch of people naturally thought Bugs Bunny looked hot when he put on a dress. That's nature.

That reminds me of this scene, funny enough.

BoingBoingBoi

bad weird
True & Honest Fan

i've heard this line of argument for lots of so-called "new fads"---like trannies, faggots, school shootings. lots of people will say "there's no more of x now than there was 30 years ago. it's just easier to hear about it today because of technology, communications, and the media."

my response to this line of reasoning is that i don't think that communication and media technology is neutral in this respect, but actually plays a role in increasing the frequency of this stuff. this is especially the case with cows. remember, not only do we, the observers, now have immediate access to them thanks to technology, but also they, the perpetrators, have immediate access to like-minded individuals who feed into and reinforce their behaviors and eccentricities (as well as a media machine that glorifies fags, trannies, school shooters, etc).

in fact, i think the example of furries actually disproves your point: sure there were freaks and degenerates before the furry fandom existed, but what caused it to exist? a bunch of like-minded individuals coming together and condoning, reinforcing, and promoting this culture of anthropomorphic animal fetishism.

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
The "participation award" generation (aka millennials) are a big part of why there are so many snowflakes out there, so I'm going to say mostly nurture.

I dunno, man. When you raise an entire generation telling them things like "there's not such thing as a stupid question" and "you should do whatever makes you happy" and constantly tell them they're "great and wonderful and special" and shit, I think that sets a level of entitlement that real life could never promise or give.

People say this kind of thing to talk bad about the current generation as if the previous generation wasn't the one at fault for fostering this attitude in the first place.