Art Critique + Advice -

• Trump is threatening to repeal Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to spite Twitter and I am tracking competing efforts to edit legislation here.
    P.S. A source of my income was removed by payment networks recently. If you'd like to donate crypto, my addresses are here.

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
I've got a bit of a question since people post their digital art here, My Wacom Intuos 4 just died(it's no longer powering on)

Are there better tablet alternatives to wacom out there now? I've have not needed to buy a tablet in years and amazon is loaded with stuff that I fear are garbage because about 10 other items share the same stock image and are called different names. I'm thinking about getting a drawing tablet with a screen this time so I can work with Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush, and Creative Suite more directly.
Brad Colbow has some pretty good reviews on drawing tablets (but he's more of a graphic artist/cartoonist)

• Informative
Reactions: BlueSpark

Deadwaste

it's 3 am go to bed you fuck
kiwifarms.net
I've got a bit of a question since people post their digital art here, My Wacom Intuos 4 just died(it's no longer powering on)

Are there better tablet alternatives to wacom out there now? I've have not needed to buy a tablet in years and amazon is loaded with stuff that I fear are garbage because about 10 other items share the same stock image and are called different names. I'm thinking about getting a drawing tablet with a screen this time so I can work with Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush, and Creative Suite more directly.
huion makes some nice tablets that are cheaper than a wacom. i think their cheapest screen tablet is 240 dollars o amazon? it might go for sale for 200 durig black friday if you can wait?

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
It depends on if you want a cheap Chinese knock off or not (and Wacom is the only not). Wacoms are designed to work with any art program though and I'm not a fan of supporting China and I hate finicky electronics.

YourMommasBackstory

Gosh, I hope I’m safe it this suit!
kiwifarms.net
Chinese tablets with a screen are good, i saw many praises about them. Ppl i know ordered Xp Pen from aliexpress lol and it was delivered with a courier to them.

cryptozoologist

look, mom! i'm on TV!
kiwifarms.net
i do art stuff. i'm not too old but hey, i do it. i'm trying to go for some stylized-ish anatomy but i think it looks wonky. not only that, but i don't know if any of my art is appealing to anyone aside from me, so i'm a bit stuck in a hole where i can't improve much. any help?

sorry for the poor quality. i dislike the feet on the first one though... anyone got any tips?

Reactions: BlueSpark

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
i do art stuff. i'm not too old but hey, i do it. i'm trying to go for some stylized-ish anatomy but i think it looks wonky. not only that, but i don't know if any of my art is appealing to anyone aside from me, so i'm a bit stuck in a hole where i can't improve much. any help?

sorry for the poor quality. i dislike the feet on the first one though... anyone got any tips?
1st pic: The right foot on the first pic looks broken, but it's hard to tell cause I can't clearly see the outline of that foot. And while we are there both feet seems a lot smaller than the head, which is not a problem but it might look better if they were the same size (or bigger) as the head. The eyes could go a bit lower because rn it looks like he(?) has no forehead and the waist could be wider as well.
This might sound a lot but in reality these would be minor changes only.

2nd pic: I really like how simplistic this is and I think I wouldn't really change anything here.

3rd pic: Not sure how to draw furry characters but I think the ears should be smaller if it's a kurilian bobtail. And her right eye looks kinda weird, it would look better if both of the eyes looked the same way.

If you need help with the first one just ask and I can do a sketch to show what or how I would change it.

cryptozoologist

look, mom! i'm on TV!
kiwifarms.net
1st pic: The right foot on the first pic looks broken, but it's hard to tell cause I can't clearly see the outline of that foot. And while we are there both feet seems a lot smaller than the head, which is not a problem but it might look better if they were the same size (or bigger) as the head. The eyes could go a bit lower because rn it looks like he(?) has no forehead and the waist could be wider as well.
This might sound a lot but in reality these would be minor changes only.

2nd pic: I really like how simplistic this is and I think I wouldn't really change anything here.

3rd pic: Not sure how to draw furry characters but I think the ears should be smaller if it's a kurilian bobtail. And her right eye looks kinda weird, it would look better if both of the eyes looked the same way.

If you need help with the first one just ask and I can do a sketch to show what or how I would change it.
i was having difficulty with the feet. the first one is a stickman and is meant to have wacky proportions. yes, he is male. thanks for that! could you maybe help me with that sketch?

randy has some hair covering her eye (shameless edgy furry bait) but it looks normal underneath that! here's a version without glasses. i might have missed the purpose of what you said, but here?

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
i was having difficulty with the feet. the first one is a stickman and is meant to have wacky proportions. yes, he is male. thanks for that! could you maybe help me with that sketch?

randy has some hair covering her eye (shameless edgy furry bait) but it looks normal underneath that! here's a version without glasses. i might have missed the purpose of what you said, but here?
Yeah, I didn't notice that Randy had one of her eye covered with hair, sorry! But you might want to cover the glasses with hair as well, cause there might be more dumbasses like me who can't see that it's hair.

I did some sketches for the first one, with different leg options and selected 3 that looks alright. There is 2 that's more cartoon-y and one that is thicc-er. I also added a sketch for the face to show what I meant. (Also I didn't add the wings and the glory cause this is about them legs, and I added a bonus sketch that I did for fun lol.)
sketches.png

Hope I could help!

Surf and TERF

kiwifarms.net

This is nice! I wish I had the time to do a redline so I could explain this better, but the 2 main things that I’m noticing right now are the tangents and the stiff posture.

The first one is fairly easy to fix. Just avoid allowing shapes to touch at the edges. this means either letting them overlap or placing a comfortable amount of space between them. Your drawing has two tangents right now. Both are located where the fur tufts on the left and right shoulders meet the lowest fur tufts on the left and right cheeks. Tangents are a problem because they create visual tension.

If I am not making sense, here is a click baity article that elaborates pretty well: https://emptyeasel.com/2008/11/18/a...l-blunders-every-artist-should-watch-out-for/

(This is unrelated to the previous or upcoming point, but I would also move its right arm (the arm on you’re left) back so that the torso overlaps it. This will remove the yellow space between the two, simplifying the silhouette.)

The second thing is that the drawing lacks movement. There is a stiff quality to the pose. This is difficult to explain (at least for me) and it requires practice to really see and understand (especially for standing or sitting poses that don’t have a lot of action.)

There are a ton of resources online. Try googling “gesture drawing for animators” and see what comes up. Sorry I can’t be more helpful with this.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Here is another gymnast picture. This time, 'she is handcuffed'.
This is gonna sound bitchy, but go do some studies and practice drawing people because your art is on the same level as a 14 year old. She also looks like she's floating, a shadow, even something basic, would help to ground her. Also ditch the anime until you have enough knowledge to bend the rules.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is this the thread for this? Alright.

I decided I want to learn how to draw.

It's a skill I've coveted for years of my sketches looking like absolute hell shit, all the way back to 5th grade when I was teased because my character's head didn't have a neck to stay connected to his body. My stick figures are out of proportion. My ovals look like jellybeans. I'm told I can write okay, and that's fine, but my ultimate goal is to transfer fiction to a visual medium.

I assembled a playlist of what some article told me are the two best teachers on YouTube, Jazza and Proko. Over 200 videos to feed off of until I exhaust them. I have set aside Monday nights from 7:30-9 to sitting down with a sketch pad, a notebook, and some pencils and devoting the entire hour and 30 minutes to nothing but learning from them.

Last night was my first self-taught course. I came away with a basic understanding of construction lines, simple body structure, and how to draw a scarf under the face oval that turns into a jaw. I also walked away with some confidence. Jazza in particular is an amazing teacher; his one blanket statement that a nice house is put together with a bunch of junk inside, same goes for lines and shapes that build an artist's six-figure paid drawing, was amazing enough to keep me there.

Today, putting what I learned into practice, some of that confidence is gone. My best face looks like the Howdy Doody puppet crossed with the Deliverance kid, and while I feel l can do a little better than before, I'm looking down and my sketches still look like shit.

Part of me has an insatiable urge to keep practicing and pinpointing the problems in my faces. The other part wants to walk away in disgust.

Someone also recommended me a book, How to Draw What You See by Rudy De Reyna. I just ordered it. Alright, so that was $15 I've put into this. Better stick with it and justify it.

Should I quit while I'm ahead? What else should I do?
It's a normal thing to feel. IMO, I think it's a good thing because it means you're self-aware enough to know flaws when you see them while others decide to think they're prodigies who are perfect enough (see artcows). All I can say is keep going and study.

As a challenge, draw a portrait (go find a photo or something) upside down. The idea is that your brain won't use auto-correct and tell you "that's an eye, I think" so you're forced to analyze more.

5ever a crab

kiwifarms.net
doodles after seeing my favorite gatchashit anime recently.
doodles_191127.png

Right now I'm focusing on drawing faster as well as being less sloppy with my lines. I've done the Peter Han/Drawabox's line exercises few times a week; and I need to hustle more.

I forgot to fix the mouth, but I fixed the eyes after I scanned my two images.
Below is the old image/how it was scanned.
gorghonold.png

Last edited:

YourMommasBackstory

Gosh, I hope I’m safe it this suit!
kiwifarms.net
I got a question: how much time should I put into drawing per day?
Depends on what you want to get from it and how fast. Tho i don't think you should seat and draw with a timer in your mind, you better set different goals. For example, 5-10 sketches daily, 1 anatomical study of body part per week\month, 1 painting per n days, etc.
I usually draw for 2-5 hours per day, imo thats the perfect amount of time for a hobby/side job. Professionals i know draw 8-10 hours daily. Asian artists often say that 10-12 hours per day are perfect and non-tiresome. see for yourself and try to find a perfect balance so you won't be burned out in few weeks.

seckdeck

yeasty
kiwifarms.net

i got some advice for ya; I draw stylized cartoon furries anthros so i have a lot of years of experience (altho my art don't fucking show it) and study behind me. like another user said, stiff posture; I would definitely try drawing more dynamic poses. There's a lot of resources out there, but try using references and expand. A big thing that I do is when sketching the basic pose, I start with a line of action. There's a lotta stuff on line of actions/action lines and I'm sure you've seen the guides all the time, but it's important. I'm gonna critique your first drawing you showed; I circled the issues I immediately noticed.

spoilered this bc big image and big wall of text. i only work on huge canvases and build big paragraphs sorry y'all

So, let's start from the top. Where I circled in blue, where the wings go behind the back to connect blah blah, those aren't even nor the same shape. Now, if the wing is folded I can see what you were trying to accomplish, however, they appear to be unevenly placed and unevenly drawn, which throws off the perspective/pose. The thinner line on the left side (character's right side, but if you're looking at it, left side) that is the 'top' of the wing differs from the thicker line on the other side, causing the wings to appear to be growing/placed in different places on the character. To the best of my knowledge, wing bones on the top that connect to the spine/shoulder idfk where they connect I can draw it just don't know the name are almost always even + they don't bend; wings bend at the joints, and that isn't a joint right there, that should stick straight out idk how to explain it very well but I hope I've explained it well enough?? I'm one step away from being autistic so forgive me.

More on the wings, since the rest of the body is symmetrical, they should be the same size and shape; however, if trying to display foreshortening, the wing farther away should appear slightly shorter horizontally but not vertically. This doesn't really work with this pose though, because the pose appears to be drawn facing head on. The straight horizontal purple lines mark the hips, shoulders, and where the wing tips SHOULD line up. As you can see, they're slightly out of balance, and it throws the whole image off.

Where I circled in green, the gap between the arms and the sides, that looks more like blank space than the wing; what you needed to do was add a line or two there, just to define that the arm IS overlapping the wing, and it'll take away the appearance of it just being empty space.

And then in orange, the feet. So, first thing you can do to fix them/show they're not just a blob is add a white line (or colored/black line) to separate them. It can be thin, I showed an example to the right. But! As you can see, they look pretty strange with a quick orange outline; you don't have to be an expert or super detailed to draw feet, especially when it's stylized, but you do want them to look like they're physically able to support your character standing. the placement of feet show the distribution of weight on the character, and what angle they're standing at blah blah. Since this character's body suggests they're standing straight and looking at you head on, the feet should be symmetrical, flat on the ground, and pointing forward; when they're twisted to the side like that and overlapping each other, they will automatically look WEIRD and like they don't belong to the rest of the body, and cause the whole pose to look off. To the left I drew a little example of what the feet could be doing; you also want to put space between the character's feet. The way legs work is they're not directly against each other, and there should be a bit of a gap between the feet when a character is standing flat on their feet.

And then down below, I drew some very rough, very basic sketches/outlines demonstrating the line of action and how it can completely change your character. Poses should express the character's personality, and the more dynamic/curvier/asymmetrical something looks, USUALLY the more intriguing it is. From the left to the right I curved the line down more and more, and it can DEFINITELY be curved much, much more. When stylizing art, you want to go almost extreme with your angles and your form; you want to fully express the character.

Following my own advice, I drew a *very* rough sketch, it kinda sloppy, but just changing a few things and keeping it from being symmetrical can bring a lot more excitement and personality to the image. I tried to keep some of the stylized elements but I fucked it up, but I was just trying to do something really fast.

Also, when going for a symmetrical look, it's best to go completely symmetrical with maybe one or two details different; otherwise it looks more like you rely too much on copy/paste versus trying to make an aesthetically pleasing image. Your second drawing is nice to look at with the symmetry because it is completely symmetrical instead of being even in some places and off in others.

You also want to keep an image balanced! With the hair and halo on one side and not the other, that side looks heavier than the other; one thing you can do when drawing to defeat that, is add an object/blob of color on the other side in roughly the same place so it looks like the image's weight? is evenly dispersed.
So there's a short critique+general advice on that first drawing, now let me introduce you to something called the shrimp method
https://www.deviantart.com/5019/art/Tutorial-How-to-draw-anything-352414195
This method will 100 percent help you learn to draw things better. It's easy to do, steps are simple, and it will go a looooong way towards helping your art. You can use it when drawing plants, objects, people, animals, landscapes, anything. I used this method just the other day to learn how to draw the bongo antelope actually. I'll show it in a spoiler below.

More general advice:

Before stylizing, reference, reference, reference, and study, study, study. The better you can draw 'realism', the better your stylizations will look. Good cartoonists can draw cute cartoons; good artists can draw nice realistic things and nice cartoons. A lot of younger artists (myself included) see all these great 'artists' on Deviantart and Tumblr and Instagram drawing these cute stylized cartoons and we think 'wow I bet I can do that! that's easy!'. Only drawing cartoons and not doing enough studies will ONLY hurt your art in the long run. It can be fine to start out with, but if you want to become a genuine good artist, rely on using photographs and real life to draw, not cartoon artists on the internet. You can't get better at drawing nor develop your own unique style if you just follow what some cartoonists online are doing; a lot of them don't understand the basic principles and elements of art, a lot have no idea how to draw anything other than stylized art, and rely on gimmicks and tricks to make their art look 'good'. If you want to draw basic shit, do what they do; but if you want to be a great artist and stand out? Study life. You can pick up great techniques and inspiration from other artists, but don't rely on them to teach you how to draw. Foreshortening help? Sure. Having trouble mimicking a certain style? Feel free. Wanna figure out how to make a cool glitch effect? Go ahead. But figure out the anatomy on your own. Push yourself, draw what you see not what you know, learn color theory, study the principles and elements of art, and you WILL improve.

And here's an example *my example* on the results of the shrimp method:
Step 1 drawing to step 4 drawing; the difference is major, and not just because I put in different amounts of effort. I genuinely thought that the step 1 bongo antelope was how they looked in my head. It was my best. And now step 4 no reference off the top of my head is my best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
None