Art Critique + Advice -

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just wanna know if I have an SJW art style.
I didn't try as hard as I could on this particular art piece, hence the anatomical errors, flat/nonsensical shading, and lack of background, but it's probably the most representative of my current art style.
Eyes are weird and don't quite match the rest of the characters as well as the mouths, but otherwise OK.

The Last Stand

@Mrs Paul's standing ovation.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
License Plate Cover Cosmos.jpg

I made this for @Cosmos. I haven't used Photoshop in a time. I wanted to have Sailor Moon's face as a license plate like that. I suppose I messed up the formatting. JPEG instead of PNG.

YourMommasBackstory

Gosh, I hope I’m safe it this suit!
kiwifarms.net
here are my two latest drawings! How can i improve?
i can advise to build up hand strenght to make better lines and capture volume of objects
I personally like exersices in this video. Do not look that it's industrial design, exercises shown in this video are universal for all artists. Exercises starts around 20min in the video.
Just do those for 10 min before actual drawing every day as a warm up and you'll see progress very soon!

Reactions: the_masked_man

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1033618

I made this for @Cosmos. I haven't used Photoshop in a time. I wanted to have Sailor Moon's face as a license plate like that. I suppose I messed up the formatting. JPEG instead of PNG.
- The head clearly being a square cut from another image makes it look like... well, it’s clearly cut and paste from somewhere else. You should find a full bust and use that instead.
- The wings aren’t centered, and shoild prooobably be either behind the head, or moved a bit to the side so they don’t overlap the head.
- The top of the frame is cut off sharply. I’d either round the edges, or countour it to the wings.
- The text on the bottom should not fill up the entire border, should be some space on top and on the bottom.

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Last Stand

@Mrs Paul's standing ovation.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
- The head clearly being a square cut from another image makes it look like... well, it’s clearly cut and paste from somewhere else. You should find a full bust and use that instead.
Agreed, I wasn't sure how to cut the background and just have just Sailor Moon Cosmos face on there.
- The text on the bottom should not fill up the entire border, should be some space on top and on the bottom.
It was supposed to be glossy as well. I messed up the centering.
- The wings aren’t centered, and shoild prooobably be either behind the head, or moved a bit to the side so they don’t overlap the head.
You mean like the wings behind the head? Instead of just in front?
- The top of the frame is cut off sharply. I’d either round the edges, or countour it to the wings.
I used a literal license plate frame; I admit it does look uneven. I was just going to do a rectangle, but wanted to be exact with the dimensions.

Thank you! Maybe I should just take a Photoshop course.

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Who/what do use as a reference/inspiration when it comes to art? If you can give me some, I can help you more efficiently.
Hmmm i have a lot of inspirations at the moment, but my most relevant ones ar IDKY-Hannahfu/Hannah Rose, Slb-creations, Crazedg [tho she quit art to deal with her personal life, plus she has drawn some kinky shit so be warned ], and Chris sanders.

I also take some inspo from lowbrow art

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm i have a lot of inspirations at the moment, but my most relevant ones ar IDKY-Hannahfu/Hannah Rose, Slb-creations, Crazedg [tho she quit art to deal with her personal life, plus she has drawn some kinky shit so be warned ], and Chris sanders.

I also take some inspo from lowbrow art
Ok, so here are some advice I can give you:
-More anatomy practices (from the pieces you just posted: the jaws of the characters are too big, mouth and nose are too far away and so are the eyes in some pieces->especially in the first two and last pics)

-The perspectives are off especially on the Mikey drawing. You were going for a head-tilted-up look, right? Because the upper half of the face looks like that (until the nose ) but the lower half looks like a flat angle. It's giving me a weird vibe.

-The way you draw guys is pretty feminine. The shoulders are narrow at times and the neck is too thin for a male. Sure there are guys with more feminine features but the characters you draw are ninjas who basically trained in their whole life so it's fair to assume they'd be more muscular (not beefcakes tho).

-This is just my nitpick but the outfits and hairstyles doesn't really match the characters.

Sorry if it's not a lot or too helpful, I'm not in my best shape rn but I hope I gave you some good advice.

Reactions: JeaneJanae

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Ok, so here are some advice I can give you:
-More anatomy practices (from the pieces you just posted: the jaws of the characters are too big, mouth and nose are too far away and so are the eyes in some pieces->especially in the first two and last pics)

-The perspectives are off especially on the Mikey drawing. You were going for a head-tilted-up look, right? Because the upper half of the face looks like that (until the nose ) but the lower half looks like a flat angle. It's giving me a weird vibe.

-The way you draw guys is pretty feminine. The shoulders are narrow at times and the neck is too thin for a male. Sure there are guys with more feminine features but the characters you draw are ninjas who basically trained in their whole life so it's fair to assume they'd be more muscular (not beefcakes tho).

-This is just my nitpick but the outfits and hairstyles doesn't really match the characters.

Sorry if it's not a lot or too helpful, I'm not in my best shape rn but I hope I gave you some good advice.
Thank ya for the advise, i appreciate it! As for my male characters looking masculine, i've drawn mostly female characters for most if my life so i'm still practicing drawing male characters, in fact that's why drew most of those in the first place. And oh I hope it's nothing too serious

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Thank ya for the advise, i appreciate it! As for my male characters looking masculine, i've drawn mostly female characters for most if my life so i'm still practicing drawing male characters, in fact that's why drew most of those in the first place. And oh I hope it's nothing too serious
Yeah, I had the same problem: always drawing female and not enough male characters. I try to draw equal amount of male and female characters lately like, "Oh, I drew/sketched a full page of female characters, now I'm gonna do one that's all male" but I'm not sure if it's a good method or bad so I wouldn't really recommend it, it's just something that works for me.
Also don't worry, it's just the flu so nothing to worry about.

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Holy crap look up Michael Hampton's book. The girl looks like she's losing her nose a la Voldemort and neither of them have chins or foreheads. Anatomical reference is your friend and so is life drawing.
Thank ya for the advise! I have failed my lord Voldemort! But here's thing these were personas/ocs designed for my friends based on a few things i know about them, So i didn't exactly have the best ref.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Thank ya for the advise! I have failed my lord Voldemort! But here's thing these were personas/ocs designed for my friends based on a few things i know about them, So i didn't exactly have the best ref.
No idea if you have a Pinterest, but that place is a treasure trove of ref and so is Deviantart, believe or not.

Tags
None