Baseball Thread -

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
too bad the fags at MLB made sure it doesn't count!
Because of the spider tack shit? This going to be the roids era again isnt it. Do nothing until the problem becomes impossible to ignore, find some scapegoats to make it look like your are doing something and sweep it all under the rug. MLB are a joke. Free my nigga Barry Bonds.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Because of the spider tack shit? This going to be the roids era again isnt it. Do nothing until the problem becomes impossible to ignore, find some scapegoats to make it look like your are doing something and sweep it all under the rug. MLB are a joke. Free my nigga Barry Bonds.
I think he just meant that they're not counting 7 inning (or just games that don't go a full 9+ innings) no-hitters as being true no-hitters.

wolfpac92

User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
kiwifarms.net
The rookie relief pitcher for the Padres, Dan Camarena, hits a grand slam for his first ever career hit off Max Scherzer after Yu Darvish was chased early. This is the first grand slam from a relief pitcher since Don Robinson in 1985 and the first time a pitcher hit a grand slam for their first career hit since Bill Duggleby in 1898

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1413330917905506310

Mist3

kiwifarms.net
Why did the spider tack thing start out of no where? Is it because we had like 3 no hitters in a month?

CapricornusRex

kiwifarms.net
Why did the spider tack thing start out of no where? Is it because we had like 3 no hitters in a month?

It started out of nowhere with the media and MLB taking notice. Trevor Bauer has been talking about this issue since 2017/18, most notably how the Astros were acquiring starters that were sub-par and suddenly they were becoming better than they ever were. When MLB did nothing, more pitchers started doing it, to the point there were teams using their own custom formula for tack to lure in pitchers to their team.

Pitchers have been using sticky stuff for a long time though. Usually it was just a mix of sun screen and rosin for grip, and the more they started adding shit to the mix the more they would come out with their bullshit lie of, "I need it to keep from hitting batters." and batters, like the idiots they are believed it. Meanwhile pitchers have just been throwing harder and harder, their pitches move so much they make knuckleballs look like a straight fastballs, and now the league is on the verge of a 3 true outcome scenario where it's either home run, walk, or strikeout.

The commissioner had to drop a straight ban on everything because his other option is dealing with the shittiest union in the world. So now the pitchers get to suffer because of the union while the union figures out a way to get their sticky stuff back to some degree. It's actually pretty beautiful to see as the most overpaid players in professional sports get hamstrung by the union that got them their giant, undeserved paychecks.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Gerrit Cole had a fantastic start tonight in his last appearance before the All-Star break. Down in Houston facing his former team (sans the bats of Carlos Correa and Alex Bregman) he went a complete 9 innings for a shutout and allowed just 3 hits (Abraham Toro, Yuli Gurriel and Jose Altuve) and a pair of walks (to Jose Altuve and Michael Brantley). He struck out 12 batters; the Astros have the fewest strikeouts of any team in baseball while leading in average and on base percentage. He also threw a career high 129 pitches and was still hitting 99mph with the fastball until the end.

The 9th inning was super exciting. With Aroldis Chapman ready in the bullpen it began with Altuve hitting the first pitch for a single. There was then a 10 pitch battle with Brantley that resulted in a flyout to centre on a full count. Gurriel then struck out after three pitches on a terrible call by the home plate umpire. With Yordan Alvarez up to bat Aaron Boone came out looking like it was time for Chapman but Cole argued his way into staying on the mound. He then proceeded to strike out Alvarez on three pitches to complete the 1-0 shutout.

The top five of for Houston's lineup (Altuve, Brantley, Gurriel, Alvarez, and Kyle Tucker) went 2-17 with a pair of walks.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Gonna double post here I guess.

Tonight is the first round of the draft (here's a link to the stream if anyone wants it.) Lots of shortstops (10) going in the top 28 picks. Some notable picks thus far:

• #1 (Pirates) - Henry Davis, catcher from Louisville; third catcher to go #1 overall this century (Joe Mauer to the Twins in 2001, Adley Rutschman to Baltimore in 2019)

• #2 (Rangers) - Jack Leiter, RHP from Vanderbilt; son of Al, nephew of Mark, cousin of Mark Jr. who is in the Tigers organization

• #4 (Red Sox) - Marcelo Mayer, shortstop out of high school; was considered the potential top pick

• #10 (Mets) - Kumar Rocker, RHP from Vanderbilt; Leiter's rotation mate and co-ace

• #14 (Giants) - Will Bednar, RHP from Mississippi State; younger brother of Pirates' pitcher David

• #16 (Marlins) - Kahlil Watson from Wake Forest; considered a lock to go in the top 5, possibly top 3 but surprisingly fell

• #25 (Athletics) - Max Muncy, shortstop out of high school; the second guy named Max Muncy who've they drafted (now an All-Star for the Dodgers), and they even share the same birthday

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lol I only caught the last three innings of the all star game, but when Liam Hendriks came out in the ninth with a mic on, I thought it was a shitty idea. My perspective was that it would be a distraction to have a pitcher on audio (evidently they did it with hitters earlier in the game too, which is equally retarded). So allegedly his end of the audio wasn't working and he couldn't hear Joe Buck yammering on in the background, so he assumed his microphone wasn't working. He dropped multiple f-bombs on Fox primetime and it was AWESOME. I'll edit my comment and try to drop clips or at least links, because it's the funniest shit in the world.

Edit: Here's the best incident courtesy of @Local Fed.

Last edited:

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Looks like Starlin Castro of the Nationals is joining Trevor Bauer on administrative leave. He's being looked into over an alleged domestic violence matter from earlier in the summer. He had previously been put on the restricted list back on the 16th of June over a "family issue" but was back with the team two days later and been playing since.

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Double posting again, but it's to say that it was just announced about half an hour ago that the Toronto Blue Jays received permission from the Canadian federal government to return and play home games at the Rogers Centre beginning on July 30th. They'll have a 10 game home stand against the Royals, Indians, and Red Sox.
Do you know if the Canadian government is granting a waiver for unvaccinated players? Not a hockey fan, but I heard they did this for the Tampa players in the Stanley Cup final in Montreal, but one team in a championship series is materially different from multiple regular season series with different teams.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Do you know if the Canadian government is granting a waiver for unvaccinated players? Not a hockey fan, but I heard they did this for the Tampa players in the Stanley Cup final in Montreal, but one team in a championship series is materially different from multiple regular season series with different teams.
Basically all I know is that players who have been vaccinated have the same ability to travel as regular Canadian citizens; those who aren't vaccinated are required to pretty much only travel between the ballpark and the residence/hotel that they're staying at or else they face some stiff penalties. Ontario is supposed to not be going into another lockdown (X to doubt) per Doug Ford (the premier of the province) so things may become more lax around the end of the season. Keep in mind that while Ontario has been pretty hardcore about lockdowns and stuff, Quebec is even worse, I believe.

NotJewishWario

kiwifarms.net
Basically all I know is that players who have been vaccinated have the same ability to travel as regular Canadian citizens; those who aren't vaccinated are required to pretty much only travel between the ballpark and the residence/hotel that they're staying at or else they face some stiff penalties. Ontario is supposed to not be going into another lockdown (X to doubt) per Doug Ford (the premier of the province) so things may become more lax around the end of the season. Keep in mind that while Ontario has been pretty hardcore about lockdowns and stuff, Quebec is even worse, I believe.
On one hand, I'm glad I left Ontario and moved out east recently. On the other, it sucks I may not be visiting the Rogers Centre anytime soon. At least I can probably go see the Jays at visiting ballpark in the States maybe next year.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Tonight's game between the Padres and Nationals in Washington had to be called in the 6th inning (it will resume tomorrow) due to gunshots heard outside of the stadium. Four people were shot.

Here's some audio of the shot and video of some of players' family rushing to the dugout to go to the clubhouse.

Last edited: