Baseball Thread -

Dick Pooman

Muchacho Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It still seems too generic to me, even with the meaning behind it. It sounds like the name of an XFL expansion team that you know isn't going to exist anymore in a calendar year. Maybe I'm sperging about it too much and it will sound better when I hear it a million times.

Preferred Penne

Easy to eat
kiwifarms.net
I think I can get used to the Diamond C and the Script logo, but please throw that winged abomination in the trash.

I'll still go to the games, but I don't plan on buying any Guardians gear and I'm sure I'll be among the majority of fans wearing Indians merch to the games.

Goyaanisqatsi

The Clown World Ends With You
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't the fanbase all in on the Spiders? At least it looked that way from online outreach. I just don't get why you would go against something the fans have already accepted. Fuck us, right?

Can't wait for the same shit to go down next year with the Redskins formally announcing their new identity.

Preferred Penne

Easy to eat
kiwifarms.net
The fans' opinion never mattered. They would have also been happy with "Cleveland Tribe", but anything that sounded remotely Native American was immediately off the table.

Besides, I didn't like the Spiders name anyway. It has the stink of a greedy owner stripping the team to its bare bones and selling them off to St. Louis, leaving them with scraps.

Goyaanisqatsi

The Clown World Ends With You
kiwifarms.net
The fans' opinion never mattered. They would have also been happy with "Cleveland Tribe", but anything that sounded remotely Native American was immediately off the table.
Shit, they could have dressed up in technicolor kwanzaa jerseys and been A Tribe Called Cleveland. Works perfectly in 2021 A.F. (After Floyd)
I still think that they missed on a great opportunity to name themselves the 'Steamers'.
It's like owners hate making money. Would have sold like shitcakes. If it were a minor league team, there wouldn't be any second guessing the Steamers name.

Also, what the fuck is up with the Braves insisting on using Joc as a lead off guy? I get that Albies is an RBI machine for us but I think he'd be a lot better in that position.

Techpriest

Praise the Machine Spirits
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't the fanbase all in on the Spiders? At least it looked that way from online outreach. I just don't get why you would go against something the fans have already accepted. Fuck us, right?

Can't wait for the same shit to go down next year with the Redskins formally announcing their new identity.
At this point I want Washington to stay the Football Team. It's fun.

Local Fed

"Buddy, don't be a fuckin hero, buddy"
kiwifarms.net
Almost had another no-hitter. This time it was Patrick Sandoval of the Angels. He lost his with one out in the 9th when Brent Rooker of the Twins hit a double. Now Minnesota is on the verge of tying the game after a Donaldson RBI double off of the closer.

Down in Houston they were throwing a combined no-hitter until Ryne Stanek gave up a leadoff single in the 8th to the Rangers.

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Almost had another no-hitter. This time it was Patrick Sandoval of the Angels. He lost his with one out in the 9th when Brent Rooker of the Twins hit a double. Now Minnesota is on the verge of tying the game after a Donaldson RBI double off of the closer.

Down in Houston they were throwing a combined no-hitter until Ryne Stanek gave up a leadoff single in the 8th to the Rangers.
The Astros-Rangers game was pretty weird from a pitching standpoint. The starters combined for 14 walks and Kyle Gibson only threw 48 strikes on 104 pitches, which is about the worst strike percentage I've seen for a guy who hits 100 pitches. He somehow lasted six innings though, because a lot of his walks were four and five pitch ABs and the Astros hit into a couple of double plays.

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
Styx bitchuted about the Indians name change to guardians.

One commenter dropped that comment who gived me some chuckles.
lrrichiv
Why hasn't Biden changed the name to the Bureau of Guardian Affairs?

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And then the bullpen blows another game.
I don't want to hear boo hoo bull pen, until you're a 2021 Phillies fan :P

Also, after hearing, about how term guardian has more meaning to the area, I shrug and move on. Shame on name change tho. There's a mustard that's famous from the team, really good shit forget brand off hand.

Preferred Penne

Easy to eat
kiwifarms.net
I don't want to hear boo hoo bull pen, until you're a 2021 Phillies fan :P

Also, after hearing, about how term guardian has more meaning to the area, I shrug and move on. Shame on name change tho. There's a mustard that's famous from the team, really good shit forget brand off hand.
Bertman Ballpark Mustard.

I never even liked mustard until I tried this stuff, and now I put it on everything.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
Here's some of the bigger moves at the trade deadline which I'll just keep updating as they happen:

Miami and Oakland made a pretty significant trade just now. The Marlins are sending Starling Marte and about $4.5 million to cover the rest of his owed salary to the A's for pitcher Jesus Luzardo in a 1-for-1 deal. Marte is a free agent after this season, and Luzardo, still just 23, was a near consensus top-10 prospect in the game as recently as heading into last season.

Edit: and now in even bigger news, the Rangers have sent Joey Gallo and a reliever to the Yankees for four prospects.

Edit 2: the Yankees made another splash by trading for Anthony Rizzo of the cubs. It's the Yankees' #9 and #12 prospects (according to mlb.com) heading to Chicago.

Max Scherzer was apparently close to being a Padres.

Edit 3: looks like the Dodgers swooped in to steal San Diego's girl and then some. Scherzer AND Trea Turner are now heading to LA in a blockbuster. LA is taking on all of Turner's salary (he's arbitration eligible next year before becoming a free agent in 2023) and the rest of the salary owed to Scherzer this year (he's a free agent at the end of this season.) The Dodgers are sending a package of four prospects to Washington. It's headlined by their #1 and #2 prospects (per mlb.com): catcher Keibert Ruiz and pitcher Josiah Gray; they're ranked as the #41 and #42 prospects in the league.

I would imagine that with the acquisition of Turner they're going to allow Corey Seager walk at the end of the year.

The Dodgers keep moving and have now acquired Danny Duffy from Kansas City. They're sending cash and a player to be named later in return.

Red Sox sent their #19 prospect for Kyle Schwarber of the Nationals. He's having a career year right now, should be a good pickup.

In a couple of other notable moves: the Blue Jays acquired Brad Hand from Washington earlier today for catcher Riley Adams. The Cubs sent reliever Ryan Tepera across town to the White Sox. The White Sox also acquired infielder Cesar Hernandez from the Indians.

In some non-trade news: Terry Francona of the Indians announced that he's stepping down for the rest of the season to focus on his health. He's going to have a hip replacement next week, and then foot surgery later in the year.

Last edited:

NotJewishWario

kiwifarms.net
Twins trade Jose Berrios to the Blue Jays for prospects Austin Martin and Simeon Woods Richardson. Seems like a really steep price. This may come to bite the Blue Jays back since playoffs are unlikely this year. I don't like it.

Local Fed

kiwifarms.net
1. Craig Kimbrel is heading across town to the White Sox for Nick Madrigal and a reliever.
2. Javier Baez is heading to the Mets.
3. Oakland is getting both Josh Harrison and Yan Gomes from Washington.

This deadline has been loads of fun. Looking to see where Trevor Story goes. Apparently the Rockies have lowered their asking price with the deadline coming fast. My gut says that Kris Bryant will be a Giant tonight.

Twins trade Jose Berrios to the Blue Jays for prospects Austin Martin and Simeon Woods Richardson. Seems like a really steep price. This may come to bite the Blue Jays back since playoffs are unlikely this year. I don't like it.
I know that prospects don't mean shit unless they produce in the Majors and I I know that Berrios is both durable and decent, but man is that ever a steep price to pay for him. I'd have thought it would be more like Woods-Richardson and one or two of their 10-15 ranked prospects. I think Martin will come back to haunt them.