• :neckbeard:

Best B-sidesFuck you if you don't even remember them

Discussion in 'Music' started by AnOminous, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Just to tell you who can't post in this thread. If you don't remember there used to be these things called 45s that rotated at 45rpm and played music, and bands released things called "singles" which were one song and then they sort of put another song on the other side, often called a "B side," just don't post, you fucking diaper baby.

Why was this song never released as a single on its own?

• Like Like x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous LOOK UPON ME! I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.is
  2. I remember that B-sides exist but I've never listened to one in my life because I'm too young, you need to just specify an age bracket if you want younglings not to post bad memes about Simon and Garfunkel

Vrakks

Vrakks Ooh, here it comes! Here comes the night train!

kiwifarms.is
  3. Okay. Here's another.

Everyone remembers the Walrus.

Do you even remember what this was the B-side to? Probably not even though it was a #1 hit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  4. You misunderstand, I was just saying that B-sides are hardly some forgotten relic.
    I literally know nothing about what songs are on what singles.

• DRINK DRINK x 1
    Vrakks

Vrakks Ooh, here it comes! Here comes the night train!

kiwifarms.is
  5. Only nerds care about this shit, so congratulations on not being a total nerd.

This thread is for nerds, though.

I should have also mentioned that the Pulp song I started the thread with was the B-side for "Common People."

• Informative Informative x 1
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  6. I love when studios realize they made a horrible mistake and switched the B-side to A. That happened with this little song you've probably never heard of:

It was originally the B-side to "Don't Be Cruel"

Yaks

Yaks Beware of young girls...
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  7. Here's another one:

Was the B-Side to Detroit Rock City.
    The Destroyer album had just come out and it wasn't doing well. Neither was the single Detroit Rock City. Beth is about as far from a Kiss song as you can get, it's just drummer Peter Criss with a piano singing about how he's sad over neglecting his girlfriend for band practice again. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley especially hated it and the only reason it was on the record at all was because the producer liked it and insisted.

It was put on the B-side because Gene and Paul thought it was such shit that it would guarantee Detroit Rock City would catch on in a big way. Instead, everyone started flipping it over and playing Beth. It ended up being their biggest hit, and gaining them lots of notice from women who weren't initially fans.

Paul and especially Gene who had no hand in writing it have always come off as super assblasted over the song and like to try and discredit Peter any way they can. Doesn't stop them from having not-Peter sing it at concerts though. And in the 80s they even had it re-recorded identically but with then-drummer Eric Carr on vocals just so that version would be played on the radio and featured in films and on albums and they didn't have to pay Peter anything. It's almost indistinguishable, and I remember reading somewhere that Carr, by all accounts an awesome guy, regretted doing that to him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    TheGreatCitracett

TheGreatCitracett This IS my costume.

kiwifarms.is

8. Was the B-side to "Can't We Just Sit Down (And Talk It Over)"

tehpope

tehpope the game is mine, i deal the cards

kiwifarms.is
  9. This was Zeppelin's only non album B-side (Immigrant Song single). Honestly, one of my favorite songs they ever did.

This was the B-side to Into the Lens (the first Yes single without Jon Anderson) This really should have been the A-side, since it sounds a lot more radio friendly than ItL.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  10. Smashing Pumpkins had some great bsides. Pisces Iscariot, Aeroplane Flies High, and Judas O are great records.

(also check out the demo version from Mashed Potatoes as well)

• Like Like x 2
    tehpope

tehpope the game is mine, i deal the cards

kiwifarms.is
  11. The Police had some excellent B-sides that often get overlooked altogether. These are my favorites:

• Like Like x 2
    D. Sweatshirt

D. Sweatshirt Shit's real, grip the wheel, lift steel

kiwifarms.is

• Like Like x 1
    emitter

emitter quack quack

kiwifarms.is
  13. Strawberry Fields Forever? I'm just trying to remember songs off Magical Mystery Tour tbh

Varg Did Nothing Wrong

Varg Did Nothing Wrong Resident Kremlin Shill

kiwifarms.is
  14. Hello, Goodbye.

AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  15. Unironically better than Bohemian Rhapsody

• Winner Winner x 1
    kiwifarms.is

16. The best of Nirvana's B-sides, and Dave's only main vocal part in a Nirvana song with Marigold. Sucks they weren't on In Utero.

• Winner Winner x 1
    John Lennon

John Lennon I CURSE YOU!

kiwifarms.is
  17. I like Shambelle and Flexible Strategies. I wish they did more stuff like that.

Here's one from The Residents, the B-side to their cover of Satisfaction. The actual title is Loser ≅ Weed, the person who posted this on YT must have slept through geometry class.

zerohitwonder

zerohitwonder Not to a-log or anything... but what a bamboon.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  18. Sappy is probably my favorite Nirvana song.

escapegoat

escapegoat DEVIL GOATS ESCAPE ON TWO HOOVES, TYVM.

kiwifarms.is