• Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

Bungie splitting from Activision, taking Destiny with them

Discussion in 'Games' started by RJ MacReady, Jan 10, 2019.

1. http://archive.li/WORQL

This is surprising, and smells like another precursor to a much-hypothesised industry bubble burst. Phil Spencer also vaguely implied that Microsoft is or will be backing them financially:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady cheating bitch
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  2. So much for 10 year plan. If Microsoft is buying Bungie, I assume it would make Bungie a first party publisher. MS needs exclusives so I can see how that would play (probably Destiny/Halo). Activision is probably thinking how to blame Destiny's failure on Bungie.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  3. Amazing they were able to escape Activision's grasp.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Feels Feels x 3
    Baldur's Gait

Baldur's Gait Huh, you're a queer fellow!

kiwifarms.is
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Feels Feels x 1
    #4 FatFuckFrank, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    FatFuckFrank

FatFuckFrank Am I wrong cause I wanna get it on till I die?

kiwifarms.is
  4. Screw Destiny. Make something with a Marathon or Pathways into Darkness feel.

#MakeBungieWeirdAgain

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Feels Feels x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

kiwifarms.is
  5. Never thought this would happen. Good for Bungie. I wish this would happen with more studios, especially those owned by EA.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    IAmNotAlpharius

IAmNotAlpharius For the Emperor?!

kiwifarms.is
  6. If they're not reviving myth idgaf

• Feels Feels x 7
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  7. I am actually shocked by this happening and Blizzard not doing something similar, but it isn't surprising considering what a shitshow Bungie had become under Activision that they want out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Racist Trash

Racist Trash Fucking Lidl doesn't have any Custard Creams.

kiwifarms.is
  8. The thing is, activision doesn't have as much control as people are led on to believe. The real evil is that they're replacing people who quit/retire, effectively diluting the passion and the 'we're both gamers AND developers' vibe. Blizzard for example is being completely shit all on their own because the big guys are leaving, being replaced by NPCs.

I mean, why would Blizzard do anything? If above is the case, they're still on free reins. "Oh we lost a guy but whatever, we still got a powerhouse" until they realize they're 3 Neos surrounded by Smiths.

•  x 3
    • Agree  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Informative  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    Cactus Wings

Cactus Wings Coughing for Cash

kiwifarms.is
  9. I'd love to see some companies jump ship from EA. Maybe other developers will once again realize that making the quality game is far more impressive than sinking everything into shady, shoddy microtransactions and kiddy gambling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster Back in the Stone Age.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  10. Take 2 owns the rights to the myth franchise. Maybe they could work out a deal to use the property again.

• Informative Informative x 3
    tehpope

tehpope privacytools.io | prism-break.org

kiwifarms.is
  11. It seems like a lot of senior employees (i.e. the most important) are leaving for smaller studios or founding their own, which is a pretty objective signal for where an industry is headed: The smartest employees will always be the first to see the writing on the wall and get sick of their employer's bullshit. An entire company cutting its moorings is an even worse sign, since management is always the last party to realise that the ship is taking on water.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady cheating bitch
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  12. hopefully blizzard will follow suit. It's felt wrong ever since Guitar Hero World Tour ads said "Activision Blizzard"

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Feels Feels x 1
    HomeAloneTwo

HomeAloneTwo I was saying 'Boo-Urns'

kiwifarms.is
  13. Blizzard has had a major talent drain lately. It's essentially happened already

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  14. Bungie was independent this whole time though Activision influenced a decision here and there, they just ended a ten year long publishing deal two years early. As for Blizzard, they're stuck being Activision's conjoined twin.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Feels Feels x 2
    #15 Smug Chuckler, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    kiwifarms.is
  15. Blizzard will never follow suit because they're owned by Activision.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Zaragoza

Zaragoza Love Saw It
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  16. All I want out of this is Oni 2. Good on Bungie for jumping ship.

• Feels Feels x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Bob Page

Bob Page Electronic Old Gendo Ikari
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  17. EA would rather kill them than let them leave.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Apoth42

Apoth42 Hehe xd

kiwifarms.is
  18. Watch as Squenix buys them.

• Feels Feels x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  19. Well it's nice to see at least one company escape from activisions/Ea's shadow. Kinda like finding a small child alive after a natural disaster, a small miracle amid the horror.

Fuck Activision. They've killed blizzard blizzard and parade it's hallowed out corpse while whoring out once great franchises. they're only better than EA because the damage isnt as extensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.