$ Capitalizing on epidemics - Can corona-chan help you buy corona beers?

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, if you don't mind waiting for possibly even years to make a return on investment, it would honestly be most stocks that aren't of companies at risk of going belly up. (e.g. don't fuck with airline stocks) Everyone's profits are going to be absolute shit for awhile, but once this does eventually clear up the markets should bounce back for the most part. I think likely the best investments would be companies which are providing alternatives to face to face business since there's a good chance that a fair chunk of their new customer base may decide to retain usage of their services even once this is over. Either way, this is going to get worse before it gets better, and ideally you want to buy on the floor of the decline.

TurdFondler

kiwifarms.net
Put white tarps in the back of your vehicle, get a gallon sprayer and put sanitizer or bleach in it and offer a sanitary grocery getting service.

Reactions: Mrs. Adams

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
I've made about $80 a day selling DIY $10 facemasks on to people I know IRL. You could if you so desire replicate my model. If you have a sewing machine, enough materials, and you know what you're doing, you can crank out probably a hundred a day or more.

I've experimented with making DIY safety glasses too.

Guide for IRL crafting NEETbux.

Face Mask Crafting Recipe
Note that this facemask does not provide anything close to 100% protection, for you or anyone else. However, it should provide SOME protection and SOME protection is better than NO protection. If you're not infected, wear some kind of eye-protection in case the virus can infect you through your eyes, and if you're already infected or infection isn't a threat to you there's no point in wearing eye-protection.

Materials
* 1 clean thick cotton rag, 6"x6" to 8"x8". Larger is better, more facial coverage.
* 2 clean thin cotton cloth squares, 6"x6" to 8"x8" (could be bandana, cut-up T-shirt or sheet, anything really).
* 2 thin cords, at least 16" long (could be shoelaces, paracord, twine, straps, clothesline, whatever)

OPTIONAL: Additional Materials
* 1 to 3 more layers of cotton cloth, 6"x6" to 8"x8". More layers should mean more protection. I wouldn't do more than 7 layers because it will be hard to keep it on your face.

Tools
* Scissors or sharp knife
* Thread, any kind but ideally cotton. Doesn't matter in an emergency but cotton is easier to sterilize via washing or boiling without damaging the thread.
* Sewing needle
* Safety pins. Alternately, staples or tape.

Instructions.

1. Prepare a work space where you have a clear view of what you're doing and enough light to see what you're doing.

2. Place a thin cotton square on your work space.

3. Put the thick cotton rag over the cotton square.

4. OPTIONAL: Put any additional layers of cotton cloth over the rag.

5. Put safety pins, staples, or tape on the edges of the gathered cloth so it holds together while you sew it.

6. Cut a 2 foot length of thread and thread the needle. Here's a YouTube video on the subject.

7. Sew along the edges of the fabric, binding them together, on all 4 edges. Be careful not to sew over the staples, tape, or safety pins. I recommend a back-stitch. This video explains how to tie the thread to the fabric and how to do a back-stitch.

8. When you are done, sew the 2 lengths of cord parallel to one another on opposite edges. Put the fabric right in the middle of each length of cord, like this:

9. Place the remaining thin cotton square over the layers of thick cotton fabric, covering them and covering the cords.

10. Attach the thin cotton square to the rest of the mask using safety pins, staples, or tape.

11. Sew the thin cotton square to the rest of the mask, using a back-stitch as instructed above in step number seven.

Using The Mask

When you are done, put it on by putting the strap around the back of your neck and tying a loose knot that is easy to undo. Then swivel the mask so it is hanging from the front of your neck. Pick it up, cover your face with it, and tie a knot over year ears and around the back of your head - make sure this knot is easy to undo.

Sterilizing The Mask

From what research I've read, this virus is encased in a layer of lipids, which are essentially fats or oils. Lipids are dissolved by hot soapy water. Thus the simplest way to sterilize your mask is to hand wash it for 5 to 10 minutes in hot soapy water, using dish soap, hand soap, bar soap, or clothing detergent. Clothing detergent contains harsh chemicals and enzymes which will attack your skin, so wear dish-washing glove if you use that.

Boiling water is another effective sterilization method used for other pathogens, and I assume it will work for this virus. Bring a pot of water to boil, and place the mask in the water. Put a lid on it if you have one, if not use a wooden spoon or spatula or something to keep it under the water. Let it sit in the boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes, or 15 if you're especially paranoid, then take out with the spoon or spatula and hang it up somewhere to dry. Be careful not to hurt yourself with boiling water or steam, or to let boiling water drip onto yourself or someone else while you are moving the mask.

You could sterilize the mask with bleach or alcohol, but bleach degrades fabric over time so I don't recommend it. Besides that, bleach and alcohol are too valuable to waste when there are cheaper and simpler sterilization alternatives that are just as effective.

@Null can I get this post linked in the Happening box on the front page?

Pastebin link for sharing:

edit

Reasoning.

1. Why does each mask cost $10?

It takes me an hour to make a mask (I'm slow at sewing) and minimum wage is $8 in my state. Parts cost me 2 to 3 dollars. It's a fair price, and I need to pay rent and buy groceries now that I'm laid off for the next 2 months or longer.

2. Why are you trying to sell masks on this site?

I'm not, where did I say that?

3. Why are you trying to profiteer off human suffering?

As I said above, I need to pay rent and bills. If I was trying to profiteer, I would charge as much money as I could get away with. I've seen masks like mine go for $50 on facebook. If I were trying to profit I also wouldn't tell everyone how to make their own masks.

Telling people how to protect themselves is the OPPOSITE of profiteering.

4. You're just fishing for upvote/good-boy-points/ass-pats/positive-ratings.

No, I don't want any of you glorious morons to fucking die, as much as many of you frustrate me.

5. lmao ur triggered.

You would be too in the face of totally unwarranted cynicism.

6. Why do I need a mask, even a shitty one like yours that only offers some protection instead of perfect protection?

Perfect Protection > Some Protection > No Protection

By your logic, it's better to not wear a seatbelt at all if you can't get a car with a Nascar-rated rollcage.

7. lmao ur dumb.

I'll put my money where my mouth is. If by a month from now - April 26th, 12:47 AM - there isn't either a national USA mask requirement to go outside or a state mask requirement to go outside in a majority of US states, I will donate $100 to Null within 30 days. If you don't believe me, post and pledge to do the same if I am correct. Otherwise stfu.

8. DIY safety glasses?

Coronavirus can be spread through your eyes. That's why I have a pair of painting goggles, but we're going to run out when people realize this and it gets worse. And no, I only have one pair for me and one for my roommate, I'm not hoarding.

9. Boiling water to sterilize fabric?

If the EPA thinks boiling water can kill viruses, then who am I to doubt them?

10. Your masks are faulty and will get people killed.

Not wearing any protection will get people killed. Wearing something that will provide some protection is better than wearing nothing at all and having no protection. Ideally we'd all be wearing N100 masks, but our elites in their infinite wisdom decided to offshore our manufacturing capacity to China.

Last edited:

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
One thing to consider is this slap fight between Russia and Saudi Arabia. Exxon Mobile has taken a fucking beating and lost over half their value since that shit started. Once that feud and the Corona shit is done, I'd expect them to bounce back.

View attachment 1197837
I entered this crisis with 25k in my bank account

I am so tempted to lose it

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Oh, for sure. I might set aside 2k to play with, though. Easy come easy go with Trumpbux since my job is coof proof.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've made about $80 a day selling DIY $10 facemasks on to people I know IRL. You could if you so desire replicate my model. If you have a sewing machine, enough materials, and you know what you're doing, you can crank out probably a hundred a day or more.

I've experimented with making DIY safety glasses too.

Guide for IRL crafting NEETbux.

Face Mask Crafting Recipe
Note that this facemask does not provide anything close to 100% protection, for you or anyone else. However, it should provide SOME protection and SOME protection is better than NO protection. If you're not infected, wear some kind of eye-protection in case the virus can infect you through your eyes, and if you're already infected or infection isn't a threat to you there's no point in wearing eye-protection.

Materials
* 1 clean thick cotton rag, 6"x6" to 8"x8". Larger is better, more facial coverage.
* 2 clean thin cotton cloth squares, 6"x6" to 8"x8" (could be bandana, cut-up T-shirt or sheet, anything really).
* 2 thin cords, at least 16" long (could be shoelaces, paracord, twine, straps, clothesline, whatever)

OPTIONAL: Additional Materials
* 1 to 3 more layers of cotton cloth, 6"x6" to 8"x8". More layers should mean more protection. I wouldn't do more than 7 layers because it will be hard to keep it on your face.

Tools
* Scissors or sharp knife
* Thread, any kind but ideally cotton. Doesn't matter in an emergency but cotton is easier to sterilize via washing or boiling without damaging the thread.
* Sewing needle
* Safety pins. Alternately, staples or tape.

Instructions.

1. Prepare a work space where you have a clear view of what you're doing and enough light to see what you're doing.

2. Place a thin cotton square on your work space.

3. Put the thick cotton rag over the cotton square.

4. OPTIONAL: Put any additional layers of cotton cloth over the rag.

5. Put safety pins, staples, or tape on the edges of the gathered cloth so it holds together while you sew it.

6. Cut a 2 foot length of thread and thread the needle. Here's a YouTube video on the subject.

7. Sew along the edges of the fabric, binding them together, on all 4 edges. Be careful not to sew over the staples, tape, or safety pins. I recommend a back-stitch. This video explains how to tie the thread to the fabric and how to do a back-stitch.

8. When you are done, sew the 2 lengths of cord parallel to one another on opposite edges. Put the fabric right in the middle of each length of cord, like this:

9. Place the remaining thin cotton square over the layers of thick cotton fabric, covering them and covering the cords.

10. Attach the thin cotton square to the rest of the mask using safety pins, staples, or tape.

11. Sew the thin cotton square to the rest of the mask, using a back-stitch as instructed above in step number seven.

Using The Mask

When you are done, put it on by putting the strap around the back of your neck and tying a loose knot that is easy to undo. Then swivel the mask so it is hanging from the front of your neck. Pick it up, cover your face with it, and tie a knot over year ears and around the back of your head - make sure this knot is easy to undo.

Sterilizing The Mask

From what research I've read, this virus is encased in a layer of lipids, which are essentially fats or oils. Lipids are dissolved by hot soapy water. Thus the simplest way to sterilize your mask is to hand wash it for 5 to 10 minutes in hot soapy water, using dish soap, hand soap, bar soap, or clothing detergent. Clothing detergent contains harsh chemicals and enzymes which will attack your skin, so wear dish-washing glove if you use that.

Boiling water is another effective sterilization method used for other pathogens, and I assume it will work for this virus. Bring a pot of water to boil, and place the mask in the water. Put a lid on it if you have one, if not use a wooden spoon or spatula or something to keep it under the water. Let it sit in the boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes, or 15 if you're especially paranoid, then take out with the spoon or spatula and hang it up somewhere to dry. Be careful not to hurt yourself with boiling water or steam, or to let boiling water drip onto yourself or someone else while you are moving the mask.

You could sterilize the mask with bleach or alcohol, but bleach degrades fabric over time so I don't recommend it. Besides that, bleach and alcohol are too valuable to waste when there are cheaper and simpler sterilization alternatives that are just as effective.

@Null can I get this post linked in the Happening box on the front page?

Pastebin link for sharing:

edit

Reasoning.

1. Why does each mask cost $10?

It takes me an hour to make a mask (I'm slow at sewing) and minimum wage is $8 in my state. Parts cost me 2 to 3 dollars. It's a fair price, and I need to pay rent and buy groceries now that I'm laid off for the next 2 months or longer.

2. Why are you trying to sell masks on this site?

I'm not, where did I say that?

3. Why are you trying to profiteer off human suffering?

As I said above, I need to pay rent and bills. If I was trying to profiteer, I would charge as much money as I could get away with. I've seen masks like mine go for $50 on facebook. If I were trying to profit I also wouldn't tell everyone how to make their own masks.

Telling people how to protect themselves is the OPPOSITE of profiteering.

4. You're just fishing for upvote/good-boy-points/ass-pats/positive-ratings.

No, I don't want any of you glorious morons to fucking die, as much as many of you frustrate me.

5. lmao ur triggered.

You would be too in the face of totally unwarranted cynicism.

6. Why do I need a mask, even a shitty one like yours that only offers some protection instead of perfect protection?

Perfect Protection > Some Protection > No Protection

By your logic, it's better to not wear a seatbelt at all if you can't get a car with a Nascar-rated rollcage.

7. lmao ur dumb.

I'll put my money where my mouth is. If by a month from now - April 26th, 12:47 AM - there isn't either a national USA mask requirement to go outside or a state mask requirement to go outside in a majority of US states, I will donate $100 to Null within 30 days. If you don't believe me, post and pledge to do the same if I am correct. Otherwise stfu.

8. DIY safety glasses?

Coronavirus can be spread through your eyes. That's why I have a pair of painting goggles, but we're going to run out when people realize this and it gets worse. And no, I only have one pair for me and one for my roommate, I'm not hoarding.

9. Boiling water to sterilize fabric?

If the EPA thinks boiling water can kill viruses, then who am I to doubt them?

10. Your masks are faulty and will get people killed.

Not wearing any protection will get people killed. Wearing something that will provide some protection is better than wearing nothing at all and having no protection. Ideally we'd all be wearing N100 masks, but our elites in their infinite wisdom decided to offshore our manufacturing capacity to China.
tl;dr I'm not a jackass for profiting of Corona, I swear.

Tags
None