Chris Pratt asks followers to pray for Kevin Smith - Euphoria ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemonquistador

kiwifarms.net
It might seem like that, but Chris Pratt is really Christian and he's mentioned his faith before, so it isn't like this is out of nowhere.

The problem with atheists is that they never took a theology course, which they consider indoctrination. I've went to Catholic universities all my life and believe me, they dissect the fuck out of the Bible (bible stories being copies of other ancient stories isn't some revolutionary discovery atheists like to think. This has been talked about by biblical scholars, priests, preachers and every theological academic since forever).

It'd blow their mind to know that there's a Jesuit science: Seismology. Not to mention theologians teach that science is one way of understanding the language of God. Some scientists who are religious feel that there is no greater form of worship than uncovering the mysteries of God's creation. Science and Faith can be reconciled rather easily. Faith is well, faith. You accept that there is no proof for it, but you believe. That's why it is faith. Science, on the other hand, requires empirical evidence, factual discovery and the scientific method. You can have both. Not to mention a large number of these types reject the scientific method anyway, making it even more hilarious.

There's also the fact that the Church was a HUGE patron of science and medicine basically throughout its history. The problem is fedora tippers are so narrow minded they can't fucking stop deep-throating Black Science Man, Bill Nye and Charles Dawkins. Yes, people who pray know it might not work and they might be praying for nothing, they aren't fucking stupid. That's why its called faith.

Of all the atheists I know, only two actually adopted atheism after a long and thoughtful bout of philosophical rumination. The rest of them became atheists because God told them they can't shove random things (like penises) into their asses.

What I can't reconcile is the fact that the people who are yelling the loudest about God being a fairy tale are the same ones who scream that Communism and open-borders Libertarianism can work- they just haven't been implemented properly yet. And how is White Privilege any different from the idea of Original Sin? A person is born into this world bearing the stain of a transgression committed by a thoughtless ancestor. Their only hope for redemption is to believe in something transcendant and to join a collective of others who share their beliefs. I've heard it said that Social Justice is nothing more than Christianity stripped of that nasty, disapproving, won't-let-you-shove-bananas-into-your-tailpipe Christ person and with the moralism and shunning shoved way up to 11.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of all the atheists I know, only two actually adopted atheism after a long and thoughtful bout of philosophical rumination. The rest of them became atheists because God told them they can't shove random things (like penises) into their asses.

What I can't reconcile is the fact that the people who are yelling the loudest about God being a fairy tale are the same ones who scream that Communism and open-borders Libertarianism can work- they just haven't been implemented properly yet. And how is White Privilege any different from the idea of Original Sin? A person is born into this world bearing the stain of a transgression committed by a thoughtless ancestor. Their only hope for redemption is to believe in something transcendant and to join a collective of others who share their beliefs. I've heard it said that Social Justice is nothing more than Christianity stripped of that nasty, disapproving, won't-let-you-shove-bananas-into-your-tailpipe Christ person and with the moralism and shunning shoved way up to 11.

Social Justice is basically a secular faith. Its tenets are endlessly interpret-able, depending on the power of the one doing the interpretating. Its tenets are vauge and ambigious and allows for easy persecution of heretics.

The funny thing is that every culture that had a 'Sins of the Father' clause had a statute of limitations on it. SJWs don't, which makes it original sin.

Owen Grady

Back for more, huh?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited by a moderator:

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here is a thing about Chris Pratt. Pratt and Anna Faris' baby was born significantly premature. Long stay in the NICU.

I don't know if its true that there are no atheists in foxholes, but there are for sure no atheists in NICU. Doctors and nurses do incredible, cutting edge work in keeping little folk born too soon alive in NICU. But parents in that position sometimes are asking for more than science. They're asking for a miracle. They're asking for this tiny frail little person to beat some occasionally horrendous odds.

Pratt and Faris have talked about this before. They say they prayed. A lot. Intensely. No fucking wonder.

Praying for the sick isn't some kind of voodoo curse. It's a request to someone who may or may not be out there, who may or may not be listening, that if they are there, and they are listening, to send that bit of good fortune, even that miracle, that will let this sick person beat their odds. Let them get better. Let them live.

It doesn't mean "HURR SPAGHETTI VOODOO CURSE SHAME THE UNBELIEVER". It means "I want you to get better, and this is all I can do to try and shift the odds in your favour".

You know, actual kindness and hell, even actually kind thoughts are in short supply. Take the ones you are offered. Even if you think its BS that doesn't work. Take those good wishes where you find them. You are gonna need all the good wishes you can get in life. Don't be so quick to push them away.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't mean "HURR SPAGHETTI VOODOO CURSE SHAME THE UNBELIEVER". It means "I want you to get better, and this is all I can do to try and shift the odds in your favour".

Euphoric atheists are shit and personally, by their mere existence, smash the myth that atheists are smarter or more decent than religious people.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Here is a thing about Chris Pratt. Pratt and Anna Faris' baby was born significantly premature. Long stay in the NICU.

I don't know if its true that there are no atheists in foxholes, but there are for sure no atheists in NICU. Doctors and nurses do incredible, cutting edge work in keeping little folk born too soon alive in NICU. But parents in that position sometimes are asking for more than science. They're asking for a miracle. They're asking for this tiny frail little person to beat some occasionally horrendous odds.

Pratt and Faris have talked about this before. They say they prayed. A lot. Intensely. No fucking wonder.

Praying for the sick isn't some kind of voodoo curse. It's a request to someone who may or may not be out there, who may or may not be listening, that if they are there, and they are listening, to send that bit of good fortune, even that miracle, that will let this sick person beat their odds. Let them get better. Let them live.

You know, actual kindness and hell, even actually kind thoughts are in short supply. Take the ones you are offered. Even if you think its BS that doesn't work. Take those good wishes where you find them. You are gonna need all the good wishes you can get in life. Don't be so quick to push them away.
Try telling that to the people wanting to tell Chris that "Prayer no good! Doctor master race!". It almost makes me wonder if they'd act like this if someone who actually knew Kevin would do the same. Or hell, if it ever happened to one of their own family members.

Twitter might as well ban all praise, because they're doing a good job being moody and angry fucks to anyone who wants to spread a little hope and happiness.

Every Crook and Nanny

My face when I see such autism
kiwifarms.net
I bet you that even after Kevin has thanked Chris for his prayers and told everyone to quit bashing Chris, they are not going to let up.

That’s the Twitterverse for you.

Diabeetus

The hyeckin frickyen sweetist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This feels like leftover outrage over the "hopes and prayers" remarks that politicians flooded twitter with after the recent school shooting. People were getting upset because the politicians could actually influence things but were only tweeting well wishes.

Nah, this is something else. It’s just edgy fedorafags being edgy fedorafags. There’s a fucking flying spaghetti monster reference in one of those tweets. The only people that find that shit funny outside of it’s absurdism are dumb atheists who think they’re smart.

Seriously, these pseudo-intellectual twats piss me off so much. Oh shit bro, you can name the acids that treat heart aches?!?! You’re such a genius!!!

The Shadow

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
kiwifarms.net
Nah, this is something else. It’s just edgy fedorafags being edgy fedorafags. There’s a fucking flying spaghetti monster reference in one of those tweets. The only people that find that shit funny outside of it’s absurdism are dumb atheists who think they’re smart.

Seriously, these pseudo-intellectual twats piss me off so much. Oh shit bro, you can name the acids that treat heart aches?!‽ You’re such a genius!!!
What I always want to ask is "So how many of you folks are actual scientists or medical professionals?". Seems that most people in those fields are a little too busy working in their respective fields to get on Twitter and tell an actor off. Euphoric atheists are trash.

Maxliam

You all disgust me.
kiwifarms.net
I used to be a cringy euphoric atheist in my teens and twenties. I'd say I'm an agnostic now but I can see why people have faith. There are things that science can't explain. It's not bad, it's just something that's outside the realm of science. To put all your faith in science is just as bad as a fanatic who puts all of his faith into his religion and won't budge.

I never got why people would get upset if someone says they're praying for them. If you don't believe in that stuff then it won't affect you. If it makes the person praying feel better and it might just work, hey why not?

The problem is that most atheists tend to be angry at something instead of really examining why they don't believe. I myself don't know if there is a God. I could very well be wrong and there is one. Having grown up Pentecostal I have a very good understanding of the bible since we had to read it constantly. I use it to run circles around people who are Christians who do not understand their own bible. At the same time I point out the good stuff in there to fedora aheists who think it's all doom and gloom. The bible has a good message to it. Unfortunately no one seems to really read it these days when they spout off their shit cannon about it.

Pratt did a nice thing and wished Smith well and since he's not a doctor he offered what he could in support. The fact people attack that and sneer just reminds me why I became an agnostic instead of an ardent atheist. They have a level of fanaticism that is usually worse than your average Christian.

Diabeetus

The hyeckin frickyen sweetist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never got why people would get upset if someone says they're praying for them. If you don't believe in that stuff then it won't affect you. If it makes the person praying feel better and it might just work, hey why not?

Because accepting their prayers would mean they’re condoning something having to do with Christianity, and apparently that’s not a good look when the rest of your peers are edgy douchebags.

Video Games

WASH YOUR HAIR!
kiwifarms.net
This feels like leftover outrage over the "hopes and prayers" remarks that politicians flooded twitter with after the recent school shooting. People were getting upset because the politicians could actually influence things but were only tweeting well wishes. None of that outrage fits this situation though so it's dumb.
Reasonable people: Hey, conservative representatives, it seems patronizing and useless for you to offer "thoughts and prayers" in the wake of all of these mass shootings, considering that you are in a position to actively create ANY sort of legislation to prevent them and fail to do so.

The rest of the Internet: PRAYER BAD!! PRAYER HURT AND NO GOOD!! CHRIS PRATT KILL KEVIN SMITH!!!

:thinking:

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reasonable people: Hey, conservative representatives, it seems patronizing and useless for you to offer "thoughts and prayers" in the wake of all of these mass shootings, considering that you are in a position to actively create ANY sort of legislation to prevent them and fail to do so.

The rest of the Internet: PRAYER BAD!! PRAYER HURT AND NO GOOD!! CHRIS PRATT KILL KEVIN SMITH!!!
On the other hand, celebrities and politicians are more or less the same now.

Status
Not open for further replies.