Chris - The Legal Issues - A Prosecutor's Perspective

failson-lawguy

kiwifarms.net
That’s the goal of the a-logs and weens. Annoy the hell out of the PD and get Chris thrown into prison.
the fucked thing is that it might do the opposite tbh. By the standards of Strickland this harassment should it get bad enough might fuck the defense to such an extent that it is not a reasonably adequate representation and prejudices Chris to the courts. Genuinely genuinely don't fuck around with the attorneys involved on either side or the judge or the jury should this get to trial. You can submit all your ween bullshit if and when there's a sentencing hearing but otherwise fuck off with it.

Fapcop

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't be at all surprised if an evaluation gets ordered. I seem to recall one was for the GameStop assault. But as others pointed out, Chris is on the shallow end of the crazy pool so it's unlikely they're going to let him take up an expensive bed in a psych ward. Also, even if he does receive a light bail and does post with a bondsman, guy has little if any money and nowhere to live. Honestly the county lockup is possibly the best place he could be right now, if the alternative is being on the street.

Oh yay, another evaluation that Chris, dumb as he is, can slither his way through because he’s wily, knows what to say and have done this dance numerous times.

As for a mental institution, not gonna happen.

(In fact, maybe a big banner that says CHRIS WILL NOT BE INSTITUTIONALIZED would be in order and save us a couple of hundred posts a day?!)

Chris is wading in the shallow end of the crazy pool, he doesn’t have any official diagnosis aside from being on the lighter side of the autism spectrum, and most importantly. He’s never been a ward of the state before. Taking away your adult-card is (thank god) something they take pretty seriously and he isn’t going to lose it over some weird tweets and fucking Barb.

Now as for bail:

As long as the charges stay as they are, it’ll likely be set so low that Chris can afford it between his tugboat and a bondsman.

(Unless Chris is released without bail which is entirely possible, given the nature of the crime and especially with a trans/tard-card in hand:

“Your honor, my client is in no way a flight risk, she’s a member of a vulnerable community and staying in jail would be a danger to both her physical and mental health!”

There is the problem of a place to stay, but as I recall Chris’s protection order expires on the fifth.

failson-lawguy

kiwifarms.net
With a little prudent planning and initiative on the part of his PD he may bond out. this week.
>chris
>prudent planning
>PD's
>initiative
>bond within a week

Honestly even if there's a chance for bail, I don't know how it'll be paid for. I am guessing from my experience this is at least low five figure bond, lets say 10-25k, maybe aggrivated if we were to say that Chris going to Richmond was a flight attempt. I don't think Chris can get a lien on any property to pay that and I don't think white knight money goes that far, even if its being returned.

Fapcop

kiwifarms.net
the fucked thing is that it might do the opposite tbh. By the standards of Strickland this harassment should it get bad enough might fuck the defense to such an extent that it is not a reasonably adequate representation and prejudices Chris to the courts. Genuinely genuinely don't fuck around with the attorneys involved on either side or the judge or the jury should this get to trial. You can submit all your ween bullshit if and when there's a sentencing hearing but otherwise fuck off with it.

It’ll absolutely have the opposite effect.

Imagine you’re the local prosecutor and/or police. You’re getting calls daily. Dozens of time a day.

Now would that make you say: “That motherfucker will never see the sun again!”?

Or would it slowly become enough of a headache, to where you try to get the case off your hands/resolve it as quickly as possible. Even if it means some slap on the wrist plea deal?

Does he have anywhere to go though? He might be better off in jail.

Protection order expires on the fifth, no? Might not get extended.

Not familiar with the local rules regarding where you can bail out to, but shelters and motels are possibilities elsewhere.

Tennis-Ball-Tony

Coolest cracker in the box
kiwifarms.net
You think he'd bother to wait for the detectives in the interview room to spill his guts? He probably confessed in the cop car on the way to the station.

Body cam and car cam footage will be interesting.
Agree. Chris sees nothing wrong with what's he's done, either the incest or theft, and he'll happily talk about both things.

His position is not only was Barb cool with it, she even initiated it, and Chris responded with Love and Kindness. The theft? That's not theft, he was clearly going to pay her back, besides, he didn't contact her first, so he's abiding by the EPO. That theft stuff is just things those dirty trolls cause problems with.

Chris understands the EPO conditions but because he needed money, that was one condition he had no problem violating, but in his mind, since he uttered "I will pay her back", then it's not really theft. He had that excuse ready to go with asked about it.

If anything, Chris is going to get himself in MORE trouble with this lengthy word salad explanations.

Learned Hand

kiwifarms.net
>chris
>prudent planning
>PD's
>initiative
>bond within a week

Honestly even if there's a chance for bail, I don't know how it'll be paid for. I am guessing from my experience this is at least low five figure bond, lets say 10-25k, maybe aggrivated if we were to say that Chris going to Richmond was a flight attempt. I don't think Chris can get a lien on any property to pay that and I don't think white knight money goes that far, even if its being returned.
I was thinking a 5-20k bond, which he will have to pay 10% on. I know he gets his Patreonbucks, I thought he had other sources of income as well, enough to secure a bond. It's really going to depend on what he is officially charged with tomorrow.

With regards to Richmond, I personally would not construe that as a flight attempt. The EPO removed him from his home, and he went to the area he's always gone to, where his favorite shops and malls are located.

Fapcop

kiwifarms.net
The argument could be made though is that he didn't want people to harass his new "girlfriend" and not because he thought it was wrong.

Hmm... Yeah... His new “girlfriend
I have some idea of how bad it is, my grandma works medical intake at a court or jail depending on who needs staff, and shes told me some stories about people coming in. I just wanted to hold out some level of hope that chris would get some sort of help instead of just getting thrown in the rape cage and get spat out on the other side even worse and homeless.

Dude, people have been trying to “help” Chris for decades. Ironically, that’s how many get sucked into his insanity.

Oh professional help? He’s been receiving that on and off for decades as well.

This isn’t Chris’s first rodeo with the legal system, and as I recall he’s seen court ordered psychiatrists before.

I like this idea some people seem have of the psychiatric system, that some magical wand gets waved and you “get better”.

The reality is that Chris is 40. He’s far too gone, far too stubborn, far too autistic and far too lazy to change.

At this point “getting help” isn’t an option.

(Unless possibly some sort of CIA skunkworks combination of LSD, electroshock and cattle prods.)

“Getting help” for someone like Chris, and those who are far worse off, usually means keeping them doped and compliant through heavy duty psychdrugs.

He should get to work on his insanity defense and try to get into a loony bin.

“As your public defender, the best advice I can give you right now, is to start throwing feces at the guards.”

Welp, police just release statement about Chris being held without bond and “further charges” are pending.

This obviously means that much of what we discussed is no longer relevant, at least until we know more.

This is of course pure speculation, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of this is the result of Chris being true and honest and blabbing away in his interrogation, Lololol!

scalchop

kiwifarms.net
Welp, police just release statement about Chris being held without bond and “further charges” are pending.

This obviously means that much of what we discussed is no longer relevant, at least until we know more.

This is of course pure speculation, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of this is the result of Chris being true and honest and blabbing away in his interrogation, Lololol!
Absolutely. He should have asked for a lawyer right away but most people don’t realize that. Chris is definitely not the exception to this rule.

Unpleasant

I tell you what
kiwifarms.net

It's actually the 20 kees of cocaine they found in his motel room.

A Random

Lappy's on the case, partner!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay so can you summarize what it means that he is held without bond, to someone who doesn't know a word about prisoners' rights?

failson-lawguy

kiwifarms.net
Isn't Virginia a 3-strike state? He has already committed two previous violent crimes, wouldn't that mean his sentence is going to be worse then the average punishment?
the 3-strike that would probably be applicable here is

§ 19.2-297.1. Sentence of person twice previously convicted of certain violent felonies.​

which is specifically for felony convictions in the field of (1) homicide/manslaughter (2) mob conspiracy (3) kidnapping (4) malicious assault (5) robbery (6) sexual assault and (eight) arson
Note that chris' two previous convictions were misdemeanors. He does not even fit the mold of malicious assault's definition in virginia relating to an intent to maim/permanently disfigure. Thus the 3 strike probably will not apply in sentencing determination for Chris. However, his prior convictions can be used as character evidence of a violent propensity and used at sentencing to determine that he might be better off in custody of the state.

Unpleasant

I tell you what
kiwifarms.net
Okay so can you summarize what it means that he is held without bond, to someone who doesn't know a word about prisoners' rights?
His release is not currently authorized. This is likely just in place until a formal hearing where he will also be appointed an attorney (although he will likely not yet meet with the attorney). That is not tremendously unusual and is again likely very temporary- if he is arraigned this week he will likely receive a bond at the arraignment.

Virginia does have several situations where they allow no bond at all; I know in the past prisoners under an extradition hold and probation violators in VA were not allowed bond.

In most states and with most offenses, a magistrate (essentially the lowest form of judge) issues / approves most warrants or some civil matters. They are the person a police officer takes you to for booking, and the one who initially says "this is what you are charged with".

However, when charged with a felony things are a little different. An officer can charge a felony offense if they observe it occur or have a great reason to do so, but ordinarily a charge will be brought before a grand jury- a group of jurors to whom a district attorney (in VA, the commonwealth attorney) present the particulars of cases to. They do not have to present absolute proof at the time of a grand jury, just enough for the GJ to decide to issue an "indictment". A felony is preferably charged after an indictment is secured, and at that point criminal proceedings begin in earnest.

Note that if an officer effects a probable cause based felony warrant- say, he observes someone shoot somebody or there are other circumstances that lead him to arrest someone prior to the grand jury process- the case will still be presented to the grand jury, and if the GJ declines to indict that person will be released. If the person is released, law enforcement can re-investigate or seek new information and retry- double jeopardy does not attach at this point.

The precise language and process changes a bit from state to state but often a person will be re-arrested following the indictment being secured if he has been released already. A superior or higher court judge may specify that a judge higher than the magistrate set the bond, in which case the accused may be held until his hearing in front of the court at his arraignment (the formal presentation of charges to the accused in a felony proceeding).

The ideal workflow for a felony is

Crime is reported -> crime is investigated -> case is staffed with the district attorney -> evidence is presented to the grand jury -> indictment is secured -> officers arrest the accused with a warrant -> the accused is formally arraigned and then proceedings begin.

Sometimes the body of evidence, or risk is such that the accused may be arrested based on probable cause... in this case based on Chris' communications and possibly statements by or medical evaluation of Barb.

A savvy investigator may not want to immediately arrest, particularly if there are co-defendants or other factors at play. The suspect may still be engaging in criminal activity or may be about to disclose or uncover something that will assure his culpability. That is often a judgement call. Some cases are also built over a long time- you may watch a theft ring for some time before securing indictments and/or warrants for everyone involved, and bust them at once. That allows for less time for them to coordinate cover stories, destroy or obfuscate evidence, or flee.

Last edited: