Chris - The Legal Issues - A Prosecutor's Perspective

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think this is going to be the key fact that turns the decision of the court. Chris is an opportunistic predator, and there is no reason to believe he won't commit another sex crime again given opportunity.

For Chris, motive has never been in question. He's always been a highly motivated sexpest. I truly believe the only reason he hasn't raped or violated anyone else is because most women will not go near him. Consent is clearly no issue for him.
I don’t know about the US, but here most of those evaluations for background reports on sex offenders are done by women.

Guess what: most of them don’t manage to behave normally enough around their evaluator to pull the wool over her eyes. Chris will absolutely not clue into the fact that although this woman is being nice to him and pretending to be interested in him and his Lovequest, he must absolutely in no circumstances touch her or hit on her. His behaviour now is significantly disinhibited with women.

A Random

Lappy's on the case, partner!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don’t know about the US, but here most of those evaluations for background reports on sex offenders are done by women.

Guess what: most of them don’t manage to behave normally enough around their evaluator to pull the wool over her eyes. Chris will absolutely not clue into the fact that although this woman is being nice to him and pretending to be interested in him and his Lovequest, he must absolutely in no circumstances touch her or hit on her. His behaviour now is significantly disinhibited with women.
From that perspective, I don't think it'd be very similar to what the Animated Series did [in that episode where he tried to get a job], but he'd definitely try to convince her that he's not a threat to women anywhere by being a threat to women anywhere..

Deadpool

Still the Demon Prince of Patriarchy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the off chance this does go to trial, wouldn't trying to find a jury that wasn't predisposed one way or another be a fucking nightmare? How hard would it be to potentially weed out weens or White knights trying to get on the jury to influence it for their own personal agenda?

Unpleasant

I tell you what
kiwifarms.net
On the off chance this does go to trial, wouldn't trying to find a jury that wasn't predisposed one way or another be a fucking nightmare? How hard would it be to potentially weed out weens or White knights trying to get on the jury to influence it for their own personal agenda?

What country do you live in where people apply to be jurors?

A random selection of locals are unlikely to hit anyone who may be a ween, and the results aren't likely to be any more or less biased than anyone else who is featured in the news for pulling off a heinous crime.

Even then, the worst should be sorted out by both the defense and prosecution during voir dire, not that it will ever get that far.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This isn’t Chris’s first rodeo with the legal system, and as I recall he’s seen court ordered psychiatrists before.

I like this idea some people seem have of the psychiatric system, that some magical wand gets waved and you “get better”.

The reality is that Chris is 40. He’s far too gone, far too stubborn, far too autistic and far too lazy to change.
This is not just his first rodeo, it's the first time he's potentially facing life ruining charges. If they decide to upgrade this from just incest level perversion to actual rape, he's looking at life. He's looking at the sex offender registry. He's looking at being absolutely utterly fucked and essentially forbidden from ever having a normal life (well as normal as it ever was) again.

And an insanity defense on shit like this is far, far from being a magic wand. If anything, it would justify civilly committing him indefinitely. People don't cotton to this kind of shit that he did.

Deadpool

Still the Demon Prince of Patriarchy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What country do you live in where people apply to be jurors?

A random selection of locals are unlikely to hit anyone who may be a ween, and the results aren't likely to be any more or less biased than anyone else who is featured in the news for pulling off a heinous crime.

Even then, the worst should be sorted out by both the defense and prosecution during voir dire, not that it will ever get that far.
I live in the USA, and I'm probably just over estimating Chris's notoriety.

TaterBot

need a different country
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"...bail as low as 10-25k..." wouldn't a bondsman require only a 10% cut of that? say, 1 to 2.5k? easy for Chris's twatter paypigs to manage.

So, let's say Chris gets bonded out, goes back to 14BLC after the 5th, creates no problems (He can behave if he has to) and Barb is put into a nursing home. Chris gets another wrist-slap probation period, and resumes his usual internet bullcrap lifestyle .

Barb loses her home, everything , and the perp walks free.

This is how I see the American justice system. Absolute shit.

Enoby Way

Justice for Max, bath bombs for Fiona
kiwifarms.net
The chances of finding a bunch of weens in a randomly selected jury are very low.
Inb4 a bunch of weens move to Ruckersville and hope to be selected. Trials take forever to happen, they've got time to find a place there.

The chances of any of them surviving the jury selection process is essentially nonzero.
...never mind.

RBennets29

Random-access humor
kiwifarms.net

"TOP comic book designer and YouTuber Chris Chan was handed a suspended jail sentence for macing a GameStop worker - years before her shock "incest" arrest, The Sun can exclusively reveal."

Fuck this paper. And since when was it an exclusive? The Sun only appeals to the lowest denominator, and have an awful reputation in the UK.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Fuck this paper. And since when was it an exclusive? The Sun only appeals to the lowest denominator, and have an awful reputation in the UK.
The Sun is the fucking British Chris-Chan of newspapers, a filthy Fleet Street (well until it moved) fish wrapper and anyone who works for them should be put against a wall.

TheBigZee

kiwifarms.net
Question for the real attorneys. Could the prosecutor side step this whole shitball of a case by raising competency issues about Chris themselves? How do criminal proceedings against adults with guardians go in Va.?

Fapcop

kiwifarms.net
This is not just his first rodeo, it's the first time he's potentially facing life ruining charges. If they decide to upgrade this from just incest level perversion to actual rape, he's looking at life. He's looking at the sex offender registry. He's looking at being absolutely utterly fucked and essentially forbidden from ever having a normal life (well as normal as it ever was) again.

And an insanity defense on shit like this is far, far from being a magic wand. If anything, it would justify civilly committing him indefinitely. People don't cotton to this kind of shit that he did.
If Chris had been slightly less of a dumbfuck, he would have either lawyered up or denied everything and called it roleplaying or whatever.

(Like 99% of his twitter timeline.)

Depending on what physical evidence they have, it might just have been enough to make the prosecutor offer a sweetheart plea deal, since fuck dealing with a case like this where even the facts are in doubt.

But since Chris is Chris, we can be sure that he chose to take the exact opposite route, talking about fucking Barb till he’s blue in the face.

The only defense I can see here, is lining up some psychologists who could talk about how Barb and Chris have had an unhealthy, borderline incestuous relationship for years (which in all fairness is true). And that Chris is such an absolute dumbfuck sped that he thought it was consensual and didn’t realize he was harming her.

“My client operates with the mental and psychological maturity of a child, your honor”, etc.

All of which would guarantee a very unfunny trial for Chris, who has always prided himself as being intelligent, mainstreamed and normal.

(Heck, it wouldn’t surprise me if he would attempt to sabotage his own defense if it went in that direction.)

A jury trial as opposed to a bench trial might actually work to Chris’s benefit here.

Alexander Hamilton

kiwifarms.net
Question for the real attorneys. Could the prosecutor side step this whole shitball of a case by raising competency issues about Chris themselves? How do criminal proceedings against adults with guardians go in Va.?

So, a prosecutor can raise competency in a criminal case. I've done it.

But in that case, you're talking about competency to stand trial and assist in their own defense. And all that means is pausing the proceedings and shipping them off for competency restoration and then when they're back in reality continuing.

What you're asking about in terms of a guardianship is a civil law deal that would be handled in civil court. I'm not sure how it would be handled in Va. but it's important to realize that legally insane to the point of negating guilt and clinically insane are very different standards.

Plenty of people are screamingly insane but perfectly legally sane.

cow-wannabe

kiwifarms.net
Disagree but I still love you. my assumption is that he is unaware, thus the word "mistake" in the term "mistake of law".

In *theory*, the law is the law, and its the law for a reason.

Part of the social contract when there is a society with laws, is that society therefore has a right to expect that the same base standard will be held to everyone for their behaviour, there will be a base level of safety guaranteed to everyone, and with their punishment within an accepted range.

If you rape someone, even if you were too dumb to realise it was rape, you have still traumatised them in an un-undoable way. Harm has still been done. That has to be taken into account.

In *practice*? This will come down to the judge's discretion and anything could fucking happen. People who are below average intelligence can and do get put in jail for breaking laws they didn't know about, all the time. They also get off, less often.

It depends on whether the individual judge focuses on society's right to safety from an opportunistic mother rapist, the need to uphold the integrity of the law, punishment in order to rectify harm, Chris's capacity to understand what he did wrong and reform, or something else.

Again IANAL and not in the US so someone please come in and let me know where I might be wrong.
I'm not a lawyer either, and not in the US, but I'm pretty sure their criteria for not guilty by reason of insanity is based only on the issue of if someone is unable to tell right from wrong based on mental defect or disease at the time of the crime, although, as mentioned before, this leads to incarceration in a psychiatric facility until someone is mentally healthy enough to be released.

That all depends on whether CWC is in fact like that, or whether he knew it was a violation of consent and just didn't care, and also how his cognitive ability measures up to Barb's, and if the tables of manipulation and abuse have actually turned (because honestly part of me believes her dementia might be as unreal as her threats of suicide she used to control CWC.)