College Football - Ohio and Alabama compete for most insufferable

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
That is revenue, it doesn't factor in alumni donations, which Texas dominates.

edit: Actually, might be wrong there, as it shows revenue and profit separately.

edit: Though that chart does do a good job of illustrating PAC and Big XII relevancy, each with three teams in the top 25 while the ACC only had one. Though the presence of USC (cocks) and lack of Clemson makes me think that that was partially using data from before the ACC TV agreement took effect.

Its funny that you mention other sports though, it is true that football (and basketball for smaller schools) drives revenue. Almost all other sports, with the exception of basketball, will operate in the red every year. At PSU for instance, football and basketball (due to Big Ten tv fees largely derived from the other teams) are in the black along with the relatively new hockey program, who barely turn a profit due to selling out all of their games. Wrestling, which also sells out all meets, is in the red and its only downhill from there. And thats a school that will turn out for anything that isn't basketball, most other athletic programs are even worse off.

Last edited:

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
That is revenue, it doesn't factor in alumni donations, which Texas dominates.

edit: Actually, might be wrong there, as it shows revenue and profit separately.

edit: Though that chart does do a good job of illustrating PAC and Big XII relevancy, each with three teams in the top 25 while the ACC only had one. Though the presence of USC (cocks) and lack of Clemson makes me think that that was partially using data from before the ACC TV agreement took effect.

Its funny that you mention other sports though, it is true that football (and basketball for smaller schools) drives revenue. Almost all other sports, with the exception of basketball, will operate in the red every year. At PSU for instance, football and basketball (due to Big Ten tv fees largely derived from the other teams) are in the black along with the relatively new hockey program, who barely turn a profit due to selling out all of their games. Wrestling, which also sells out all meets, is in the red and its only downhill from there. And thats a school that will turn out for anything that isn't basketball, most other athletic programs are even worse off.

Why do you think Clemson is rich? This was taken from years up to 2016, but no one really knows the financials of the ESPN deal.

A&M is rich as hell, but that doesn’t translate to success on the field. Clemson having recent success doesn’t make them rich. Also, South Carolina is in the SEC. Only schools not rich as fuck in the SEC are Kentucky and Mississippi State. Vanderbilt is sitting on mountains of cash, but they’re private so they don’t gotta tell you shit. I know they’re sitting on at least five billion. Compare that to the ten billion A&M is sitting on and compare the institutions themselves and what they are forced to report and draw some conclusions.

For reference, Clemson doesn’t even have one billion in reported endowment. 600 million or so.

Why I bring this up is because that’s a good indicator of how mobilized the alumni base can get when the school needs money. Texas A&M alumni gave a quarter of a billion dollars just because they were asked if they wanted the stadium rebuilt for SEC play.

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why I bring this up is because that’s a good indicator of how mobilized the alumni base can get when the school needs money. Texas A&M alumni gave a quarter of a billion dollars just because they were asked if they wanted the stadium rebuilt for SEC play.

UGA isn't too highly listed and we shut down Northern Indiana's largest airfields last year with private chartered aircraft when we played the Irish at home. A lot of old money SEC and ACC schools can generate revenue in a hurry when the program needs it. Infact, that particular event is why my sister went from a rep for Gulfstream to a travel and logistics manager at UGA, because when a bunch of alums and boosters went to her (also an alum) to ask about renting planes, she pulled every string within reason for a month to get planes available for charter, regardless of make or source. I even helped her a bit and got on the phone with a few FBOs in the area to make the parking somewhat possible (they still ended up parking jets on the taxiways at a few airports)

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
I am talking about the athletic departments, not the entirety of the school.

I’m saying the athletic department can be as rich as it needs to be if the alumni base has money and cares about football. Why do you think the longhorns got knocked off the number one spot? Big XII football is a joke and Texas grads are apathetic. If Texas goes to another conference you might see an uptick in money flowing in, but Texas is a leper with that network and reputation of being a conference destroyer.

T-shirt fans don’t sustain a program.

Very Honest Content

(Formerly a) Niggo(?)
kiwifarms.net
Big 12 needs to go for the expansion hail mary with like San Diego State plus one of the AAC Florida universities making them span each coast, they can do worse than admitting Cincinnati to grab an Ohio market attempt at a foothold, like revealing their total desperation by stooping to get Temple too for a play at Pennsylvania's media market, then hope they can trade that into a decent TV deal when renegotiation time draws close due to the expanded footprint into the large population states to go with what they have left in Texas. Plus anytime you can eventually trade Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri for essentially Florida and California before trying to get into those other two out of greed, you have to make that trade, especially to save face now that A&M is cashing SEC network checks despite still being just the same old Aggies.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
Big 12 needs to go for the expansion hail mary with like San Diego State plus one of the AAC Florida universities making them span each coast, they can do worse than admitting Cincinnati to grab an Ohio market attempt at a foothold, like revealing their total desperation by stooping to get Temple too for a play at Pennsylvania's media market, then hope they can trade that into a decent TV deal when renegotiation time draws close due to the expanded footprint into the large population states to go with what they have left in Texas. Plus anytime you can eventually trade Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri for essentially Florida and California before trying to get into those other two out of greed, you have to make that trade, especially to save face now that A&M is cashing SEC network checks despite still being just the same old Aggies.

San Diego state would bring in next to zero ratings. You would need to break up the PAC for any ratings boost and they won’t do that nor will they take the Big XII scraps since you can’t just get the longhorns and Sooners. OU isn’t a “good enough” school for the PAC, there’s no goddamn way they’ll take Oklahoma state. Which they will have to because the two Oklahoma schools are beholden to the Oklahoma state government.

There’s no Florida AAC schools that would bring any tangible boost to the Big XII. It might boost the longhorn network, since it would give them a conference game to air.

Texas has no desire to save face in regards to A&M. When A&M left, the Aggies said they would continue the series with the longhorns. Longhorns said fuck off you’re “leaving the state”. Now the longhorns have come crawling back asking the Aggies to play again and Aggies are saying fuck off the SEC schedule is actually pretty brutal and you aren’t gonna agree to equal terms on the series anyway.

The thing about A&M is that the graduates have money and are willing to spend it. That’s why a t-shirt fanbase will never sustain a program. If the graduates are rabid football/basketball fans, your athletic department will always be taken care of. Baylor was making good money there for a bit thanks to being a hot team on the rise, but that all went away when the t-shirts stopped selling. Now McClane Stadium lies empty and the guy who sold his baseball team to pay for the stadium spends his days in misery.

Big XII is doomed. Dead man walking.

Edit: a conference should not span the country. Big XII schools are already pissy about going to West Virginia, there’s no way they’d enjoy going to California one week and then Florida the next. Or those schools on the coasts always leaving their time zone.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm 99.99999% certain that the modern (since the playoff started) PAC-12 is actually worse than the BIG12 skillwise. They just play in a much worse league

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
I'm 99.99999% certain that the modern (since the playoff started) PAC-12 is actually worse than the BIG12 skillwise. They just play in a much worse league

Wrong. You can argue about the “top teams” and who is better, but the dregs of the PAC-12 are better than the dregsof the Big XII.

Just depends on who you say are the top teams and who you say are the dregs.

Edit: remember, Big XII lost the (nearly) yearly champion of their north division. Big XII evacuees: Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Texas A&M. Big XII immigrants: TCU, West Virginia.

Let’s compare what I think are the dregs:

Big XII hanger-ons (in football):
Texas Tech (Mike Leach is taking Washington State all the way and in his post game he’s gonna shit all over the red raiders)
Baylor (has always been trash, Art Briles had to allow sexual predators free reign to win games)
Iowa State (plucky underdogs no one hates)
Kansas (is it basketball season yet? No? Zzzz)

PAC-12:
Utah (we seriously aren’t Mormons you guys, that’s BYU)
Oregon State (can we get some nike money?)
Arizona (fucking Texas A&M, fucking Kevin Sumlin , fucking goddamnit)
Arizona State (we’re just here to party, chill out)
Washington State:

Last edited:

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Washington State and ASU are high upside teams right now for sure, but I wouldnt take either to cover against Oklahoma, ok State, Texas or WV. USC is awful like that have been since they lost that title to Texas. ASU is a different team every week right now, if Herm can stabilize them though they'll be good team that will make sure to about Big10, ACC and SEC schools to try and convince the committee they're worth a playoff spot.

Mike Leach is my favorite coach in interviewe btw. That man is a treasure

Utah though, there's a team I think it's extremely dangerous in the stretch if you're trying to scrape together wins, they play great football

Lazybird8654

kiwifarms.net
As always, Syracuse will hype up their "#OrangeIsTheNewFast" offense and bring glory back to the Dome like in the Schwartzwalder and McPherson eras but will get destroyed by FSU and Clemson. At this rate I bet even Kansas can fuck 'em up pretty good. Seriously, our move to the ACC was extremely stupid especially for the Football program.

This claim is outdated Syracuse Defeated FSU 30-7 and almost won against Clemson at Clemson 27-23 They have gone 9-3 and will likely be ranked in the top 20 by bowl season.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
Seven overtimes last night.
This claim is outdated Syracuse Defeated FSU 30-7 and almost won against Clemson at Clemson 27-23 They have gone 9-3 and will likely be ranked in the top 20 by bowl season.

Like it or not, Jimbo leaving set FSU back when you learn why he left. Wasn’t just money, FSU was refusing to invest in their facilities. I maintain he didn’t want to leave at all, but was forced to because he knew he would be at an incredible disadvantage due to the aging facilities at FSU.

He did just win against LSU after seven overtimes in a game that will probably be named something silly by some blog before too long.

Samuel Belmont

It's like one of my Japanese animes.
kiwifarms.net
Gotta prepare for a long couple weeks of Bama fans..I honestly thought they were out before the half.
Roll Tide and shit, but you want someone else to even have a chance...

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gotta prepare for a long couple weeks of Bama fans..I honestly thought they were out before the half.
Roll Tide and shit, but you want someone else to even have a chance...
The fact that Hurts is the one that beat us out after we humiliated him last year, thats rough guys

Very Honest Content

(Formerly a) Niggo(?)
kiwifarms.net
I expect this to be the best of the four games they've played against each other for the title/final berth since 2015 tbh.

Make or breaking Swinney's legacy with this result is the top story for me.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I respect both programs and Dabo always seems to be able to exploit weaknesses in Saban's schemes, so Im sure it will be an entertaining game, albeit an anti-climatic one

1/2: As we were watching the Dawgs piss away the game lastnight my brother in his most disgusted tone says to me "We should change the mascot fromt he bulldogs to the trick-or-treaters"

I asked him why

"Because they sure as hell aren't showing up in January"

Last edited by a moderator: