Diseased #Comicsgate - The Culture Wars Hit The Funny Books!

Newman's Own

kiwifarms.net
Sure, but that argument could be applied to any entertainment medium where effective marketing is a factor. "
Sure. I have no issue with that.

Sure, but that argument could be applied to any entertainment medium where effective marketing is a factor. "I guess TV viewers don't really care about TV because NCIS is getting way more eyeballs than Westworld". I can think of hundreds of comics within Comicsgate alone that are better than Cash Grab could ever possibly be, but after one sees the first 100 or so projects that fail to crack $10,000 come and go, it gets more difficult not to start holding the people who launch these campaigns with no means of marketing themselves or their comics just expecting people to show up like some Fields of Dreams shit a little bit responsible when they're sitting there in an empty cornfield with their fucking dick in their hand. If there's anything I've learned from sperging over Comicsgate sales numbers, it's that if you're going to be a self-employed creator of anything, the reality is you are responsible for marketing your own product. Whether it's "fair" that worse comics marketed better do better has nothing to do with it, either you accept that you need a plan to sell your creation or accept that this is a hobby and not a profession.

To compare the fortune of three creators who left CG: Tim Lim went touring conventions and building the Kamen America brand with a constant stream of quality output. Doug Ernst went on OLN to give interviews and toured online Catholic communities to promote Soulfinder while actively maintaining his channel. They took risks switching from crowdfunding to putting up the investment capital themselves with Iconic Comics. Smiller continued to stream his farting around in his den on interminable marathon livestreams set at the peak viewing hours that are 10PM-4AM on a goddamn workday.
I just commented that comics sales in CG have very little to do with the quality of the content or the reliability of delivery. Lim, Ernst and Miller aren't part of the CG club. Only Miller is still trying to follow the CG model and it's failing him.

You don't seem to disagree.

I gave up on "fair" around 9 years old. Things got better immediately.

VIkkiVerse

Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Calculation of actual unique "backers" on campaigns like Rekt Planet has become nearly impossible because every campaign is like a store full of different items that the same people purchase. Things like the “Ides of March” variant cover, the toys and other stuff make it just about impossible to figure out the size of the pool backing the book.
I think Reignbow Brute provides more accurate information on the actual size of his backer pool these days. That his total addressable market is probably in the 3000-4000 backer range. But with some of those backers being willing to spend substantially more than they did on things like Bloodhoney.
This is were Kickstarter has a distinct advantage for number crushers. Backers back once and can edit their contribution to include more tiers and add-ons.

Captain Manning

#Justice4Stu
kiwifarms.net
Spoiler that shit.

There's no point in feeding Ryu's unnatural compulsions.
My apologies. We certainly wouldn't want that. Warning added.

1631656480935.png

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
I get that some people don't like the weeb aesthetic, but his is a weak ass argument that doesn't speak to quality, efficiency, or work ethic. Those exist in and out of weeb culture.

I interpret his reply to mean that, yes... EVS is a bit salty.
"weeb aesthetic" reeks of work, results, and effort. The kind of fucking things that dominated and should had influenced/kicked the ass of comics in gear throughout the North American comics market/industry/world. Also, irregardless of who agrees with what, and this may be personal, but anime sure boasted more freedom of expression than well, an industry that sucked up to the morality squad and the censure board and fucked itself in the long run.

If I enjoyed drawing US styled comics, I sure know what I would want to draw upon as inspiration than an industry that constantly plays in ground zero of a disastrous market crash and learns nothing.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
This turd goblin is a Fandom Menace reject who became one of EVS's mentally ill super fans. Until Ethan tells this clown to fuck off, he will never leave this sphere of the internet. I personally hope he doesn't, I have too much fun trolling him.View attachment 2536288
I follow him on Twitter. I now know more than I ever cared to know about Notre Dame football. 😐

As an aside, one surprise with following Aaron LoPresti (which I dutifully did a week or so ago) was suddenly seening all these posts of people bemoaning the sad state of the University of Nebraska's team that he and his wife were re-tweeting.

Did not see either of those things coming. #Comicsgate has broadened my horizons, I guess?

Mister Dongs

kiwifarms.net
Sure. I have no issue with that.

I just commented that comics sales in CG have very little to do with the quality of the content or the reliability of delivery. Lim, Ernst and Miller aren't part of the CG club. Only Miller is still trying to follow the CG model and it's failing him.

You don't seem to disagree.

I gave up on "fair" around 9 years old. Things got better immediately.

Oh my, no.

I just disagree that that it is a real moral failing of CG instead of a good teaching lesson about what is a good approach to entrepreneurship and what isn't.
The moral failing as I see it isn't in achieving a high profile, but to take that and go from a fuckup to a high profile fuckup.

1631657321738.png
1631657427722.png

John J. Ball did things the right way, he wanted to make his way in comics by letting his art speak for itself. Let other people do the marketing and salesmanship, he was here to make comics. He chose his employers wisely; TUG got him on board to draw his dumb self-insert comic, as did Warcampaign - Gat Hanzo went so far as to choose him as the artist for his upcoming edgelord comic Bulletmaker. Matt Wenger had him draw a comic about a bunch of superheroines powered by some guy's cum, which Frog promoted for reasons that escape me even today. Truly the sky was the limit for John Ball. Yet, when he launched his fully creator owned magnum opus, the 300+ page Death Death Death, it found little traction among the community. Gat and Wenger had their own problems to deal with, to put it mildly, and TUG was too busy making videos about Johnny Depp or something. Michael Bancroft generously helped lift him up to $10,000, still woefully short of what's needed to break even on a 300 page graphic novel.

Mandy Summers had a much more difficult road than John Ball, her debut work Wart the Wizard achieving the difficult-to-manage feat of disgracing CG. Things only got more difficult for the southern belle of Comicsgate from there. One time Mandy got into a weird e-relationship with a deaf perverted retard that went sour and said tard ran to the Comicsgate creator community for help, causing no end of problems her way. Another time, a Comicsgate tranny got a hold of her lewds and used it to tell people she was engaging in sexual blackmail of the tard. Once one of her simps went rogue and destroyed her CG Ladies Night show by funneling gossip to everyone involved. This is just the stuff that we know about. Yet despite these setbacks, Mandy never gave up working on building her platform, readily offering herself as a replacement the purged Fandom Menace women on Midnight's Edge. She gained favor with larger youtubers in the FNT community and is now pushing $100,000 total on her fourth campaign within 2 years (not counting her foray into written dinosaur erotica).

Last edited:

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
Frog shitting on Kamen America definitely seems like sour grapes. Not a good look.
The book looks gay. It looks like it was made by furries for non-binary trans furries.
I don't understand how two heterosexual conservative men made that comic, but then again, it's Tim Lim.

But I acknowledged way back pages ago on this very thread that the minute Tim did what I recommended, (stop making Trump comics to get Sebastian Gorka's attention) he'd find moderate success. He did and he has.

He's welcome for the advice!

Rupin

Pronoun Warrior
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The book looks gay. It looks like it was made by furries for non-binary trans furries.
I don't understand how two heterosexual conservative men made that comic, but then again, it's Tim Lim.

But I acknowledged way back pages ago on this very thread that the minute Tim did what I recommended, (stop making Trump comics to get Sebastian Gorka's attention) he'd find moderate success. He did and he has.

he’s getting published through Antarctic press where pseudo Manga and furry shit is par for the course. But to call his book bad is just being bitter especially when his art is comparable to Fred Perry’s who has been doing similar stuff for 30 years.

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
he’s getting published through Antarctic press where pseudo Manga and furry shit is par for the course. But to call his book bad is just being bitter especially when his art is comparable to Fred Perry’s who has been doing similar stuff for 30 years.
Well, my point is, don't ask me. Tim Lim said we need to "stay in our lanes" years ago, and I agree. I'm not a fan or associate of his, and yet I'm always being sought for comment and approval over his indie venture.

My comment is, "it's not for me, but it's for someone, and continue doing that." If we're trolling each other, than my prior comment is my trolly offering.

He and his fans should stop seeking my validation.

Newman's Own

kiwifarms.net
I just disagree that that it is a real moral failing of CG instead of a good teaching lesson about what is a good approach to entrepreneurship and what isn't.
I wasn't passing moral judgement. Just observing reality. The model works.

It's just not doing anything to "save comics" because it's not about comics really. CG is really just a YouTube thing like Fandom Menace 🤷‍♂️

Extra salty.

This statement might carry more weight if you hadn't thrown your own considerable (promotional) weight behind a macrophillia fetish comic done by a much less talented artist a short while back. Instead it comes across as disingenuous and very salty.

But then again, you are you.

Well, my point is, don't ask me. Tim Lim said we need to "stay in our lanes" years ago, and I agree. I'm not a fan or associate of his, and yet I'm always being sought for comment and approval over his indie venture.
Did someone ask you?

I just commented on the book you like to do a page for every two weeks or so. Comparisons to people who get work out on time are inevitable. I brought up your buddy Shane who killed it getting his cute cat book out like a boss, not Lim. Elwood didn't ask either.

Maybe you can comment on grown heterosexual men who jump into the crowdfunding arena with testosterone fueled cute talking cat Power Rangers mashups. Looks like it's for girls under ten. Creepy.

I know you said it would be in the mail by Christmas of last year but perhaps you can promise to get Rekt out by Christmas of this year.

Any comment?

Strix454

kiwifarms.net
It would be better for everyone to keep that nice philosophical discussion about comicsgate campaigns going and not fall for that big "bait" that was thrown out by a particular person. Yeah. It used to always work to just throw one of those 2018 history topics out, say something extreme and watch all conversations end and everyone fight over the old days. But its getting less easy to do it. I somewhat think Testefy has contributed to people not being so easy to manipulate in the forum by being so obvious and trying to do the same things that others do but that he does with less success.

Someone is obviously very unhappy at the discussions going on today.

VIkkiVerse

Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Oh my, no.

The moral failing as I see it isn't in achieving a high profile, but to take that and go from a fuckup to a high profile fuckup.

View attachment 2536591View attachment 2536593

John J. Ball did things the right way, he wanted to make his way in comics by letting his art speak for itself. Let other people do the marketing and salesmanship, he was here to make comics. He chose his employers wisely; TUG got him on board to draw his dumb self-insert comic, as did Warcampaign - Gat Hanzo went so far as to choose him as the artist for his upcoming edgelord comic Bulletmaker. Matt Wenger had him draw a comic about a bunch of superheroines powered by some guy's cum, which Frog promoted for reasons that escape me even today. Truly the sky was the limit for John Ball. Yet, when he launched his fully creator owned magnum opus, the 300+ page Death Death Death, it found little traction among the community. Gat and Wenger had their own problems to deal with, to put it mildly, and TUG was too busy making videos about Johnny Depp or something. Michael Bancroft generously helped lift him up to $10,000, still woefully short of what's needed to break even on a 300 page graphic novel.

Mandy Summers had a much more difficult road than John Ball, her debut work Wart the Wizard achieving the difficult-to-manage feat of disgracing CG. Things only got more difficult for the southern belle of Comicsgate from there. One time Mandy got into a weird e-relationship with a deaf perverted retard that went sour and said tard ran to the Comicsgate creator community for help, causing no end of problems her way. Another time, a Comicsgate tranny got a hold of her lewds and used it to tell people she was engaging in sexual blackmail of the tard. Once one of her simps went rogue and destroyed her CG Ladies Night show by funneling gossip to everyone involved. This is just the stuff that we know about. Yet despite these setbacks, Mandy never gave up working on building her platform, readily offering herself as a replacement the purged Fandom Menace women on Midnight's Edge. She gained favor with larger youtubers in the FNT community and is now pushing $100,000 total on her fourth campaign within 2 years (not counting her foray into written dinosaur erotica).
Keung Lee did The Case of the Littlest Umbrella, not Joe Ball.

Unverified

kiwifarms.net
Look at this quote out of context and please understand that someone could easily think you're talking about Starlight Cats. I don't see how you can trash one and praise the other in the same breath, let alone claim that Starlight Cats is the "best book CG has put out so far."

Frankly, a grown man having that much of an interest in cats is what's truly creepy.

Captain Manning

#Justice4Stu
kiwifarms.net

You sound like Liam right now.

Also, this post makes me think you've never talked to a hetrosexual conservative man on the Internet within the last 8 years or so.

If you did, you'd know there's actually a pretty significant cross-pollination between anime fandom and Trump fandom. It's a medium that comes from a socially conservative nationalistic society (with a deeply ingrained distrust of outside influence) that has (thus far, knock on wood) largely eschewed political correctness while continuing to do their own thing. SJWs reeee over the "problematic" nature of anime with almost as much voracity as they do with Trump. In summary, anime and manga has succeeded where the American comics industry has failed. If CG is in opposition to "woke culture," it's amazing to me you don't grasp this.

Also, tits and ass. Perhaps you have an issue with it as Liam does.

Last edited:

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
Look at this quote out of context and please understand that someone could easily think you're talking about Starlight Cats. I don't see how you can trash one and praise the other in the same breath, let alone claim that Starlight Cats is the "best book CG has put out so far."

Frankly, a grown man having that much of an interest in cats is what's truly creepy.
It's a book for kids about space cats. It's realistically drawn and a well written adventure story by a skilled creator with two decades experience at DC Comics.

As such, on it's merits, it's the best book CG has put out so far. Now that backers have received their copies, it should be sold at Wal Mart alongside DOG MAN and other kids comics.

You sound like Liam right now.

Also, this post makes me think you've never talked to a hetrosexual conservative man on the Internet within the last 8 years or so.

If you did, you'd know there's actually a pretty significant cross-pollination between anime fandom and Trump fandom. It's a medium that comes from a socially conservative nationalistic society (with a deeply ingrained distrust of outside influence) that has (thus far, knock on wood) largely eschewed political correctness while continuing to do their own thing. SJWs reeee over the "problematic" nature of anime with almost as much voracity as they do with Trump. In summary, anime and manga has succeeded where the American comics industry has failed. If CG is in opposition to "woke culture," it's amazing to me you don't grasp this.

Also, tits and ass. Perhaps you have an issue with it as Liam does.

"If you don't like Tim Lim's work, you must not like tits and ass. Trump supporters like Tim Lim's work."

OK bro. 👍