cycling and century rides -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
so my bike threw the chain on the way home from work
then I got it home , and the toothy thing that rigs the pedals to the rear wheel was wobbly and totally off its thing
and there was like, this ring looking thingamabob that was all loose and looked like it should be holding the tooth thing in place
then I fixed it and mashed all that crap back into where it needed to be

I like how I can fix my bike compared to back when I had a car

Diet Coke 4 Life

When I peek, it is in the line of duty.
kiwifarms.net
Just make sure you tighten down that locking ring on your cassette otherwise it can happen again. ;) Built enough wheelsets to experience that pain.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just make sure you tighten down that locking ring on your cassette otherwise it can happen again. ;) Built enough wheelsets to experience that pain.
the ring dealy-bob is just some keychain type "loop of steel with a slight gap so you can mash it in if you try hard and hurt your finger"
not much to lock, I'm afraid

Diet Coke 4 Life

kiwifarms.net
the ring dealy-bob is just some keychain type "loop of steel with a slight gap so you can mash it in if you try hard and hurt your finger"
not much to lock, I'm afraid
Hm. If it's a cassette that goes onto a free hub (aka: it slides onto a post that sticks out of your back wheel instead of screwing on like the world's toothiest bolt), there's actually a stupid specialty tool for getting that dumb loop of steel in place. They're a pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe a screwdriver might help you get it tight enough for the interim.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hm. If it's a cassette that goes onto a free hub (aka: it slides onto a post that sticks out of your back wheel instead of screwing on like the world's toothiest bolt), there's actually a stupid specialty tool for getting that dumb loop of steel in place. They're a pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe a screwdriver might help you get it tight enough for the interim.
my bike is red
it goes forward!

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
bicycle posting means double posting
watching a Rifftrax of One Got Fat, the horrifying monkey mask bike safety short
they point out hand signals, left turn, right turn, braking
I respect they exist but I think if I started using them it would just confuse people

Diet Coke 4 Life

kiwifarms.net
Using hand signals confuses people just as much as shouts of 'on your left' which cause pedestrians to walk to their left and then look over their right shoulders.

Or riding on the road with traffic, where the law says we're supposed to ride, when drivers are used to the 70+ year old community boppin' along against traffic on the sidewalk or in the center lane (we affectionately call it the 'suicide lane' where I'm from) like the most special salmon in the river.

The-Patriarchy

The End Justifies the Memes
kiwifarms.net
Most people seem to forget hand signals as soon as they pass that part of their road test. It's almost easier to get your point across by pointing in the direction you intend to go.

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
Most people seem to forget hand signals as soon as they pass that part of their road test. It's almost easier to get your point across by pointing in the direction you intend to go.

That works for me, I also point down to one side to show that I am slowing down (thin bastards almost always use my fat ass for drafting)

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had to go by the tax collector's office today, Google maps sent me down an bunch of two lanes roads with no sidewalk and blind curves, so if somebody passed me they could have easily crashed into oncoming traffic.
Even made sure to set it to bike directions.
obviously Big Tech is trying to kill me

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My route has a dead raccoon on each side currently, and for whatever reason the vultures aren't interested in them
So now I have to ride past them every day and hope they don't decide to explode while I'm going past

Rebel Wilson

kiwifarms.net
I bought an ebike today. These rickety old bones can't handle it and I want to be able to keep up with the kids at least until they fuck off to university or careers. I went with the new giant roam line instead of paying 1500 extra for the specialized vado. Exciting time does anyone have an ebike and some tips for getting the best out of them?

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I bought an ebike today. These rickety old bones can't handle it and I want to be able to keep up with the kids at least until they fuck off to university or careers. I went with the new giant roam line instead of paying 1500 extra for the specialized vado. Exciting time does anyone have an ebike and some tips for getting the best out of them?
so like, it's all they gay of being on a bike but none of the health benefits or free transportation?

Diet Coke 4 Life

kiwifarms.net
Huh, never have given consideration to ebikes myself. I still want my ridiculous speed and super lightweight UCI-legal bicycles so I can dress like a faggot in lycra and kill myself annually to come in solid middle-of-the-pack in charity sportives.

That being said, all I can say is have fun with the kids and ride the shit outta that thing. Since it's an 'adventure' bike model, find some nearby trails to spice things up. However, I'd recommend keeping them gravel at the worst, because singletrack becomes 'let's go falling everywhere' quite swiftly if you're riding skinny tires that like to follow roots directly into trees and not used to throwing your weight right off the ass-end of the bike when going over drops and jumps.

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
A couple years ago when I first saw the ebike being offered by all the major companies I thought that it would never catch on, and they were going to be stuck with a shitload of these things they couldn't sell. I thought, who the hell is going to pay thousands of dollars for these things? Last year I saw a ton of people riding ebikes around. Surprised the hell out of me for sure. Obviously the cycling industry knows more about the market than I.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
hooray the other dead racoon has been taken away by some other varmint, and the first dead racoon is now on the sidewalk but is melted enough that it can't explode anymore

Diet Coke 4 Life

kiwifarms.net
Weather was finally somewhat decent. Sure, I got rained on for the last 20 miles of this shit, but first century in the great outdoors of this year finished.

Concho Pete

Ol' Pissy Eyes
kiwifarms.net
I used to have a steel frame Diamondback road bike. It wasn't the fastest, a bit on the heavy side. But man was it a dream to ride casually, maybe 15-30 miles on a weekend. No other material compares for ride quality, IMO.

Stolen from me, at a time when I didn't have a car either. I've been thinking lately about buying another.