• ”Is it a New Zealand forum?”

DarksydePhil / TheyCallMeDSP / Phil BurnellGeneral Discussion

Discussion in 'Phil Burnell, the Onion Man' started by A Witty Name, May 17, 2013.

Forum Guidelines
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over DSP. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • Limit discussion of body parts and functions. DSP is gross. Discussing his gout in detail is unnecessary and disturbing.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • No trolling plans. We are not an autistic Illuminati. If you embarrass yourself or the forum trying to troll, we will ridicule you.
  • Write descriptive topic titles. "[14-Sep-2015] Livestreaming Sonic 2006" is better than "new update".

@SoapQueen1

Article Available:
The Lolcow Wiki has an article on Darksydephil
  1. Did Dave just use a lolcow reference in his own chat? What?

• 🤔 Thunkful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.is
    • Agree Agree x 6
    kiwifarms.is
  2. According the twittersphere, tevin made it to the persona 5 fanarts. Again.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  3. Max doesn't really need the money (although I say that without knowing how finances); I don't think I've ever been to a stream he does where he's not getting dozens of subs and ridiculous resubs. I'm sure he knows exactly what he has in overhead so giving money back somehow I can absolutely see him doing.

. . .on a tangent, people like Max, Kripp, Disguised Toast and Trump (to name a few) are exactly the successful streamers I think of when Phil whinges about "the muppetry of successful streamers." These guys aren't clowns, their overlays aren't crazy offensive and they aren't preoccupied with tips and subs. They play their games until it's time to quit, have a pretty reliable schedule, actually take time to exist in the real world and seem to enjoy what they do. Trump, the least popular of the group, in terms of stream numbers, still manages to pull 150-200K on his YT videos. . . even when he's playing not-Hearthstone his viewer numbers are usually 1K or above for fringe titles like Cult Simulator or Surviving Mars; these are numbers Phil would kill for. Hell Max just spent the last few weeks replaying Resident Evil and the stream numbers were gigantic.

TLDR: Phil is beyond out of touch on what makes a successful steamer, and even if he could get his"schtick" in order, his personality and ego would kill any quality he'd hope to squeeze out.

• Agree Agree x 8
    kiwifarms.is
  4. From my understanding, a successful streamer is like a good bro, his mind is one with his audience, they love their audience, it's like a very chilling party with everyone. They do not wait for a signal to interact with their fans, they just do it dynamically, constantly, they want to talk with the group, they play with you. Twitch is about personalities for a good reason. This is also why PDP's "Bro Fist" approach works so well, it makes him charismatic, he appears like a friend.

Phil is way too distant to his audience to ever achieve that, he just plays a game and people are just being tolerated to watch. And better throw money, you ungrateful fuck.

Kinda like, you have to be nice to be well received, not really a surprising concept. You would think Phil would have learned that after 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 8
    Wurstbrot

Wurstbrot *Annoying Goat Laugh*

kiwifarms.is
  5. The irony is if Phil ever tries to become one of the good, friendly streamers he'd immediately lose audience, money and eventually go bankrupt in a matter of months.

• Like Like x 3
    kiwifarms.is
  6. Not necessarily. I think he would surely lose some people who watch him for the toxic show, but the rest would stay and still know he needs that money, which he really does, to pay the bills. Then he would also gain new fans who stay for the friendly environment, the sub, they donate, maybe even big dollars from time to time; it's for a nice streamer, right?
    Phil doesn't need to get better at games, his failures and blindness would still be part of the hilarious "worst 21th century gamer show". He's

But thinking about a possible nice Phil isn't even worth thinking about, this nearly drifts into philosophy. What if the Sun dies tomorrow? Wouldn't happen, it's not part of reality. Just like a nice positive Phil is an impossible occurrence. It's not part of his personality and will never happen. And I don't count pretending to be nice to pay the bills, like when it's Christmas (the festivities of love and giving big money) , I mean sincere niceness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Wurstbrot

Wurstbrot *Annoying Goat Laugh*

kiwifarms.is
  7. I think what they meant was that even if Phil managed to uphold a mascarade it would crack within a couple month and he'd piss / scare away all the audience he'd gain as FakesydeShill...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    HerrKlicks

HerrKlicks Ghost is a bootleg of InfoWars.

kiwifarms.is
  8. Phil’s strawman streamer is just a major projection of his own streaming habits.

Like you listed, Phil thinks that successful streamers are annoying because they act like clowns using exaggerated reactions to cater to kids and idiots, have lazy or offensive overlays that don’t really tell you anything except where to buy their merch, are so obsessed with getting tips and subs that they barely engage with their audience, are so disconnected from reality that they can’t comment on anything outside of streaming or gaming, and are only in it for the money.

Gee, who does this list remind you of?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  9. This.

In Phil's opinion it is not possible to play and interact with the chat at the same time.
    Guess what? Max is able to talk with his chat and still play even though he gets 10k viewers on his stream.

Or someone like Cloud805, who gets around 1-2k people on stream answers questions from chat while simultaneously playing a match in a fighting game. (which according to Phil isn't possible at all.)

• Agree Agree x 8
    kiwifarms.is
  10. Moderating the chat properly and actually banning some of his supporters would be the first straw.

Toning down on the scummy begging will be the next.

Shutting his mouth and barely talking so he doesn't make random toxic outbursts will surely drive away even more people.

The new people who come to watch a mostly silent guy playing a video game horribly will not be enough to sustain his "job"

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  11. It's weird. It's like he's still stuck in the youtube streaming mindset where no shout outs, thank yous and what not. But then goes ahead and does those things he said he didn't like, while still having the mindset in the past. Simply delusional thinking. He really thinks the shit he says does not ever apply to him at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  12. Another big issue is that he's just not humble. He believes he's getting what he's owed basically. I'm sure you've all seen Youtube videos or been on streams yourself of these streamers who get low views and they're either new or sometimes they're not, sometimes they've been around a while and just get low viewers then some guy comes in and gives them $100 and they freak out over it. But I mean its not only low viewer streamers thats just something I remember seeing before but I know that there's high viewer streamers and really popular streamers who are appreciative of like $2 and stuff and will answer their cheer in depth, fuck they don't even need to cheer for them to answer a question.

And for DSP I remember two specific instances that you guys might remember too, but Swagginz I think it was gave him $300 in one go and had given him like $500 in one week and was like "Swagginz just tipped me 300 dollars! Thats the most I've ever had. Wow, thank you." and went back to streaming. I remember during a vice city stream as I was on Tevin's stream as he was restreaming it and a guy gave him $200 and Phil goes "Wow I just got a 200 dollar tip from [person I forgot who it was] and he asks me to rank the GTAs. To be honest I don't really have favourites, they're all good. I like 5 a lot though. Thank you for the 200 dollars. [snort] So there you go." and he went back to playing.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  13. You're assuming he does only that, i.e. he doesn't for once recognize his failing and try to improve his streaming. Yes, this would take time, muslces don't grow overnight, but if he REALLY wanted to be a quality streamer and have that reflected in his content, his audience and his financials, he could. He is lazy though and has thinner skin and a bigger ego than POTUS.

I've honestly never seen any of those four streamers "clown" in the way Phil describes it. Max has Dark Souls videos where he's reacting appropriately to dying, Trump has this "slump" he does when he gets blown out in Hearthstone, and I'm sure other streamers have these quirks but nothing like Phil describes. I think he's seen like a "best of" collection of folks like Jack and Pewd's and just extrapolates that to all streamers and then calls it a day. The guy needs this to be true (along with the "raw, unedited gameplay" malarkey) to keep his sanity.

. . .how easy would it be to sit back and give someone who does that like 2 minutes worth of attention? This is how you know he thinks so little of the actual fans and only views them in terms of the money they provide.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  14. It's a minor problem compared to his really shitty personality and general boringness but Phil also has a problem of not adapting to the future/current trends and fervent general technical incompetency that stems from laziness.

The most obvious example is his direct capture switch, which happened in 2013 after throwing years of shitfits at how direct capture isn't "true gaming." For half of his 10 year begacy, he unironically believed that pointing a "1080p" camcorder with onboard audio recording at his TV was the same as directly recording 1080p videos. All Phil had to do was open two browser windows and compare a direct capture Let's Play with his own to see the dramatic difference in quality.

Besides that, he puts in the bare minimum effort into updating his setup and thinks there's no more room to improve. I don't know much about acoustics, but the few bits of misaligned soundproofing foam splattered around his house isn't gonna do any good. He also doesn't add more foam to his room or adjust them or anything like that. His facecam is the same one he's used since god knows when. His TV is so far away he can't even see what's going on in the games he plays at times. His TV being so far away results in the sprawling mess of cables that is both a tripping and fire hazard. He could spend the 24 hours of his "well earned break" on Saturdays to make things more comfortable for himself, but apparently that's too much work and he'd rather be watching netflix getting the world's saddest handjobs from Kat than take a few hours to move shit around.

Nowadays, streamers use a green screen behind them so that only their face, body, and mic show up. It makes things cleaner and less distracting for the viewers. Phil doesn't use one. Now you may think that's not that big of a deal and many popular streamers also don't use them, but he has one sitting in his fucking garage and the only thing preventing him from using it is his pure, unadulterated laziness to get it and pinning it up on his wall. There is absolutely no downside to using one and yet he just sits on his stupid loveseat trying to find a way to make his facecam not intrude the games' UI.

You can argue that all these improvements he could make are small and won't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but Phil is really missing an opportunity to present himself as the guy who "gives back" to his fans. He could get more soundproof foam, cover up like 3 walls and be like "hey, thanks to all you guys' support, I was able to make 3 of my walls entirely soundproof! you can really hear the difference in my audio!" If he does that, the audience will be more enticed to support him because they know where their money goes instead of this dark, enigmatic abyss he calls "mah basic bills." Whenever he does upgrade (for example, his shitty astro headsets that cost as much as a Sennheiser/AKG/Audio technica) he doesn't say anything to thank his fans, he just went "well it's my money so shut the fuck up about what i spend it on!"

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    kiwifarms.is
  15. This. And if he ever took accountability for anything, fucking ever, youtube *would* have set him up for life & he wouldn't be in this situation over which he will ultimately never declare triumph. Even a sharp-minded & capable person would be permafucked, so he's just in a perpetual state of borrowing oxygen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Nurse Ratchet

Nurse Ratchet Lobotomized.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  16. Streamers can also be successful by doing little interaction with chat and just being good at the game they are playing while being naturally funny or charismatic. Dave is none of these things unless you're a middle schooler.

And of course his worst sin is he very blatantly only interacts with chat when they give him money or he needs help in a game, I've spent more than enough time on twitch on all level of streamers to know that you'll never find someone talk about their money like dave does unless they are exceptional like him, which I've never found. Its honestly mind boggling how anyone can actually sit through his pre streams about money everyday ironically.

• Agree Agree x 7
    kiwifarms.is
  17. This may seem like a small thing, but something I've noticed with a few streamers, and something I noticed right away about a streamer I liked named Arcus who I've mentioned before (mostly speedruns old NES games and has a few world records in games like the Ninja Gaiden series), and, whenever I've seen him set a new personal best time in a game he's shooting for a world record, or breaks one of his own, he gets super pumped (the other 99% of the time he's like a gaming Bob Ross) and will be saying, 'YES!!! WE did it!!' And I've noticed a few others do this too. It's just a subtle little thing, but it legit has this inclusive feeling to it.

Now, think about Phil. He beats some boss who he's struggled with for hours, gets handheld, uses a guide, etc... and when he finally beats them, he starts flipping out about 'I,I,I', starts shit talking 'haters', etc. It's like he tries, for someone who has stated 100 times, 'I just wanna play games and share those experiences with you', to isolate himself and the experience of the game as SEPARATE from his viewers as possible. And it's so much worse given how much of his 'accomplishments' in games are completely reliant on others.

Again, a small thing, literally just one different word, but stuff like that can really change the way you come across and how the overall vibe of your relationship with your viewers can seem. A few small changes like that, and he could have SUCH a different environment. But, it's Phil, he is genuinely incapable of thinking beyond himself, and he needs much more than things like that to change the cancer in his little community that has people talking about raping each other in the chat so, disregard the above....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  18. I don’t know where he gets all these ideals of who successful streamers and YouTubers are. Hell, he still thinks Pewdiepie is this shrieking manchild playing horror games for his tween fanbase even though he does a lot of other stuff now and has evolved to include a bit of an older crowd nowadays.

The best example of an excellent, successful streamer I can think of is Witwix. Dude can banter like a professional and is ridiculously skilled in Mario games. He draws a big crowd to play hat he ORIGINAL Hotline Miami, and even when the game is really demanding and difficult, he still banters with his viewers and just shoots the shit while beating extremely difficult Mario Maker levels and doing 72 Star runs in Mario 64. He’s always appreciative of his donations and subscriptions, and he’s such a laid back dude. Phil SHOULD watch other streamers and YouTubers to get an idea of what is ideal for successful streamers. By him living in his own little bubble he is severely limiting himself to growth and evolution. Fuck, just yesterday someone cheered about doing 10 minute videos again and he’s already thinking about reneging on his word about longer videos. Dude is just insane.

• Agree Agree x 3
    kiwifarms.is
  19. Dave doesn't want to grow nor evolve, he wants money. Money by being lazy and miminal effort while his moronic cult fund it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    Ratko_falco

Ratko_falco одморите у миру, пријатељу.

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.