Do you prefer wires? - Don't be a cordlet

MrSugarcube

Midget horse in a suit
kiwifarms.net
Went with my pair of HD558 since it had replacement cables, or with a bit of tinkering could be made to use a wireless adapter.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wireless chargers though, are the biggest waste ever. You have to pry your phone off it's case, and it charges like 1% per hour. Meanwhile I plug my phone and tablet in and it's charged by like an hour if it's nearly fully depleted.
They make wireless chargers that can do fast charging now, but that still doesn't eliminate a lot of the usability problems with them:

-still can't use them with certain cases
-cant really use the phone while it's on the pad because unless it's especially grippy, you'll slide it around
-lots of charging pads are just little disc-shaped platforms and you need to line up your phone just right to get it to charge

Wireless chargers seem like a wonderful fit for like, a car where you can just dock your phone while you drive, or a table that happens to have one built in. Like maybe sometime I'll just take a $5 Walmart one and integrate it into one of my tables for fun.

There's also that mousepad for that one wireless mouse that charges it while it's on there, that's a clever way of using the tech. It's been around for ages anyway with like, electric toothbrushes, so I'm surprised you don't see wireless chargers just built into all sorts of things.

Reactions: queerape

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
They make wireless chargers that can do fast charging now, but that still doesn't eliminate a lot of the usability problems with them:

-still can't use them with certain cases
-cant really use the phone while it's on the pad because unless it's especially grippy, you'll slide it around
-lots of charging pads are just little disc-shaped platforms and you need to line up your phone just right to get it to charge

Wireless chargers seem like a wonderful fit for like, a car where you can just dock your phone while you drive, or a table that happens to have one built in. Like maybe sometime I'll just take a $5 Walmart one and integrate it into one of my tables for fun.

There's also that mousepad for that one wireless mouse that charges it while it's on there, that's a clever way of using the tech. It's been around for ages anyway with like, electric toothbrushes, so I'm surprised you don't see wireless chargers just built into all sorts of things.
There was a monitor from Samsung where you could place your phone on the stand/foot of it and it charged through induction, that seemed like a good idea because I usually chuck it there anyway when using a computer, but it was only for Galaxy phones. It was a decent idea.

I need wireless mice because I use them in a weird way and and anything wired feels like having hair in your mouth. Bluetooth earbuds are really nice as well except bluetooth fucking sucks. If I have keys in my pocket when using them there will be gaps in the audio from time to time.

• Agree
Reactions: Chive Turkey

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact. Did you know that many USB3 and attached devices chipsets create interference with 2.4ghz signals?
https://usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf
View attachment 1124998
FUTURE GOOD
If you knew a goddamn thing about electronics you would know these kinds of interference issues are present everywhere. This is why cables need to be shielded.
Screenshot_20200324-124740.png

Wires radiate, that's the entire basis for things like transformers, inductors, antennas, relays, etc, etc. I even saw online once, researchers had a setup that could pick up the signals off a wired keyboard cable through a wall and see what was being typed. Another setup was able to pick up the video signals from a CRT monitor through a wall and reproduce the image. Has nothing to do with "FUTURE GOOD", it's just the basics of electricity.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you knew a goddamn thing about electronics you would know these kinds of interference issues are present everywhere. This is why cables need to be shielded.
View attachment 1201301

Wires radiate, that's the entire basis for things like transformers, inductors, antennas, relays, etc, etc. I even saw online once, researchers had a setup that could pick up the signals off a wired keyboard cable through a wall and see what was being typed. Another setup was able to pick up the video signals from a CRT monitor through a wall and reproduce the image. Has nothing to do with "FUTURE GOOD", it's just the basics of electricity.
Oh.. is that why this was not a serious problem with pre USB-3.0 standards?

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Oh.. is that why this was not a serious problem with pre USB-3.0 standards?
Because USB2.0 is clocked at 480Mhz.
Most wireless shit uses 2.4GHz.
USB 3.0 uses 5GHz but it constantly shifts the clock (to spread the power over a wider frequency band (spread spectrum clocking) - ironically, a measure to reduce interference) so it will also generates noise at 2.4GHz.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because USB2.0 is clocked at 480Mhz.
Most wireless shit uses 2.4GHz.
USB 3.0 uses 5GHz but it constantly shifts the clock (to spread the power over a wider frequency band (spread spectrum clocking) - ironically, a measure to reduce interference) so it will also generates noise at 2.4GHz.
I'm well aware that most wireless stuff uses 2.4GHz.

I couldn't care less about USB 2 interference on non-2.4GHz bands. I do care- to the extent I care about wireless devices- about interference that makes 2.4GHz significantly less usable.

Given that manufacturers aren't shielding laptops properly nor using shielded cables for USB 3 devices- certainly this isn't part of the specification- this is hardly a problem caused by consumers. Why make a new standard that interferes with commonly used devices?

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shielding your cables is required by the specs for full-speed USB 3.0.
Interesting. So what you're saying is, a new standard was made that is prone to interfering with common devices if not correctly implemented, and the standards body is doing nothing against those who don't implement the standard correctly?

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
I'm kind of a younger guy in the scheme of things but I am old enough to remember when wireless devices ate batteries like candy and any interference would immediately cause the little sensors to bug out. I also remember them being slow, glitchy, and sometimes they'd just do something completely different than what you wanted them to.

I've used some newer ones recently and they have come a long way, but I'm still sticking to what I know.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
. So what you're saying is, a new standard was made that is prone to interfering with common devices if not correctly implemented, and the standards body is doing nothing against those who don't implement the standard correctly?
No, I don't even think that an USB3.0 cable ever caused anyone problems with their wireless.

In the intel test, the problem is solved by shielding the HDD and the socket inside the laptop. The cable stays unchanged.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, I don't even think that an USB3.0 cable ever caused anyone problems with their wireless.

In the intel test, the problem is solved by shielding the HDD and the socket inside the laptop. The cable stays unchanged.
OK, so the devices aren't made properly and the owner of the USB trademarks should take action against their manufacturer?

Un Platano

🐥🍌
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
OK, so the devices aren't made properly and the owner of the USB trademarks should take action against their manufacturer?
The best that the USB Implementers Forum could get you for is using their trademarked name or logo illegally. If you don't put the USB name on it, they can't touch you because the shape of the connector isn't and cannot be trademarked. In theory, only approved devices can be made using USB because they require a unique Vendor and Product ID from USB IF to function, but in reality there are people and companies that will give out their own VID/PID they got from USB IF for free or for a marginal price for anyone to use, and there's nothing that USB IF can do about this. They can order those companies to stop distributing their VID as part of their licensing agreement for USB certification, but at this point the IDs are already out there and the act of using one of them is not a crime in and of itself.

What could stop people making their own nonstandard devices that are compatible with the USB standard would be a patent. If they wanted to be nasty about it they could have made USB with a patented proprietary connector, but then that would defeat the whole purpose of creating USB and no one would be using it today had they done that. They're not protected by a patent, so there's nothing they an actually do to stop being from manufacturing unapproved USB devices.

I've never ran into problems with wifi and USB 3.0 but I have had wireless mice and keyboards that didn't work properly with USB 3.0 due to the interference from the plug. It's only a problem in very close proximity to the 3.0 connector because the connectors work when plugged into a 2.0 port right next to it.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Wires are always better than wireless.

Unless you have to move around or do anything but sit completely still like a lump. Then suddenly wireless is good.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wires are always better than wireless.

Unless you have to move around or do anything but sit completely still like a lump. Then suddenly wireless is good.
Nothing a 50 foot PS/2 extension cable won't fix.

Coffee Anon

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1201301

That's why every room in my house if Faraday caged and my keyboard uses AES with a pre-shared key in case of keyloggers hidden in the USB port.

• Informative

Baguette Child

so tender and mild
kiwifarms.net
Wired things just tend to be a better experience, in my opinion. Wired internet connection? Definitely faster than my wifi was. Wired headphones? Way better quality than the wireless ones I'd been using over the years. Add in the perk of never needing to be charged/have expensive batteries replaced, and I just tend to prefer my electronics be wired.

Tags
None