Does it seem like we've been a constant election cycle since 2016? -

A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Ever since Trump won and took office, it seems more and more the Democrats and Republicans are stepping up marketing to levels usually only seen on election years for 3 god damn years straight. The campaigns to stop misinformation, the attack on each other's side, the extreme partisanism, it seems like a level of division never seen before, let alone for this long. Does anyone get this feeling too, that we've been stuck in an election year since that fateful November day in 2016?

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, it's been going on since at least late 2015. Quite possibly much earlier.
Yup, this is a Merkel, May, Obama problem. It seems like it all started when leaders realized that "minorities" are actually stupid and will vote for anyone as long as you kiss their ass enough. Another strategy they imployed was that if you don't have enough minorities make new ones through division, sucking up to the LGBT, or just outsource and bring in new minorities like "immigrants".

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Yes, it surely does.

I remember the days when it was contained to the year the election actually took place, for the most part, I do remember some early rumblings with Obama in 2007, but it really didn't kickoff until 2008.

Same deal with 2004 and 2012, but modern America is frozen in 11/9/2016, like one great big flashbulb going off capturing us in a sort of photograph.

It sucks, an American culture that is basically one neverending election cycle without a breather is fucking miserable.

The Reaper

Are you well? Do you have brain damage?
kiwifarms.net
It's weird to see, but yeah. It feels like a pendulum swing back and forth with the outrage changing sides. For example the I Stand With Vic crowd after the court hearing on Friday. It was like looking back to those screenshots of people crying about Trump after the election, but this time over an anime voice actor. The level of involvement random people are beginning to have in these events is ridiculous.

I don't think it was necessarily a 2016 exclusive event, but that was just the biggest instance of the concept in internet times. We just have so much access to everything it makes it tough.

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net
Usually when someone loses a presidential race, they kinda disappear for a while. Lay low. Rebuild themselves. For example, Al Gore took his time to make an inconvenient truth. But that was 6 years later.

In contrast, Hillary just refused to leave, with her book about what happened and such. Some of the crazy last minute allegations disappeared like the kid claiming trump rape, but the russian meddling allegation dragged on very long.

Of course it allows media corporations to pressure a president, as it's harder to do certain things when there's 24/7 narrative to undermine.

There's always been some pressure to get your own side to comply, but I think Hillary's obvious corruption and inability to hide it, really accelerated things. Though I suppose the Bush florida recount could compare. But even that wasn't dragged on THIS long. I don't think there's been such a push to get people to unfriend wrong-thinkers, I guess the closest thing is the mccarthyist red scare. Because of the obvious corruption, both in cheating Bernie and the forceful attempts to instill loyalty and support, it's hard to turn off that reign of fear the moment the election is over.

JambledUpWords

Orange chicken’s #1 fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of entertainment has gone down hill too. Nowadays, tv shows, movies, and music have to have a very overt political message. This isn’t for all media, but Netflix and YouTube have especially been very forceful in political messaging. It’s making entertainment suck because sometimes you just want to escape reality for a moment, but it’s harder when there’s some F Trump message in it. Not to mention, entertainment with those kinds of references will age horribly and only a few people find it enjoyable. It gets tiring after a while. Social media has become even more plagued since then too. Due to news media going on about “muh Nazis”, Twitter speds will eat this up and get paranoid about regular people wanting to murder them.

Tl;dr entertainment was much better prior to the election of 2016.

queerape

All Kinds of Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I saw enough sperging about the Ontario election and US midterm election last year, the Alberta election this year, and I am not looking forward to the upcoming Canadian federal election. Meanwhile, I have been follow the US 2020 races, seeing that as I will be able to vote in that as well. It's gonna be like two and a half straight years of election cycles by the time 2020 rolls around, the only off year since 2016 would have been 2017 for me.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Part of it must be due to the fundraising aspect. Even if they are not actively campaigning for the election in 2-4 years time, they need to start amassing the funds and fundraising network well ahead of time in order to be ready for the big show.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino