• A whole block of cheese.

Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2018Autism has never been so much fun

Discussion in 'Games' started by Alpha Loves You, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Where should we embark?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2018.
  1. Plains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mountains

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Jungle

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Glacier

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Island

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. @AnOminous were you able to save the fortress? If you could or couldn't let us know asap, we'll figure out what to do about the save afterwards

Alpha Loves You

Alpha Loves You Today is a good day for Justice
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  2. I wasn't, and I've started another. It's in a frozen nightmarish wasteland with no trees or other vegetation, and while I thought haunted biomes weren't reanimating, this one is. It's snowing frozen human blood, there's a room full of severed heads and arms and even a nose that had to be walled off because they wouldn't quit attacking people. One guy spent literally months on top of a pile of dead body parts that kept biting him before surviving long enough to get to the newly built hospital and die there (and of course come back and attack his former brethren).

And the situation is actually better than it was a few months ago.

Winter is coming to an end and I'll have at least a save file tonight. I might hold off until the report until tomorrow, though. The totally incomprehensible, insane mess it is needs a bit of explanation, and you've seen previous abominations I made, accidentally or on purpose.

I'll try not to destroy it in the next couple months.

The good: it's packed with coal of all kinds, flux stone, and iron ore. So there's steel. Also we didn't starve and have underground farming up although that was actually after the dwarf caravan showed up, and before that, people were crawling around on their hands and knees eating vermin and drinking either vomit.

• Like Like x 3
    AnOminous

AnOminous 20 year stellar government career
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.is
  3. ETA duh, the save file:
    https://mega.nz/#!yN4zQKxR!EyflG_a6O4Pr0QzdNTjVUbl3D-M5WAS6FD02BPkPgrs

(I'll clear up loose ends tomorrow.)

So there's no trees. Or plants. Just means we won't have to deal with elves and their bitching. Seems like an okay place.

[​IMG]

Oh. Well, at least it's not elf blood.

[​IMG]

Here's our embark location. At the end of the year, some of the stuff is still out there. The two important things are those wagon logs. If you burn the rest of your refined coal, we have no wood to jump start the process again. I've forbidden some of the refined charcoal so this shouldn't happen.

[​IMG]

Realizing we were likely to starve, I engaged on a rather hasty plan to flood part of the underground not connected to the rest of the fort from the brook, let it flow done several flights of stairs and fill it up, then let it dry. This didn't work as excellently as I'd hoped but there is now a rather large arable area completely contained underground.

[​IMG]

Those were the first two migrants who showed up, and their reaction to being attacked by zombie wombats, the main thing that "lives" in this area. These seemed like easy kills at first until one of them killed our expedition leader. The wombats were usually easy kills, but not the expedition leader. Or the guy he killed. Or the guy that guy killed.

[​IMG]

This is the coal stockpile, with about 70 refined coal in it as I left it. The bottom row is forbidden to keep it from being used.

[​IMG]

This isn't a fortress for clerks apparently.

[​IMG]

And things continued to get worse.

[​IMG]

I thought from the fact that we had a horse die on the map and nothing happened that it wasn't a reanimating biome, but apparently I was sadly mistaken. It's possible we could map out where it is and move somewhere else but I kind of trapped us.

[​IMG]

This isn't relevant to the narrative, I just like the idea of an architect biting someone's left lower arm in its left lower arm. This is the guy who ended up spending a couple months lying in a pile of dismembered body parts that would occasionally pimp slap him out of nowhere and then just die again.

[​IMG]

And did I mention my little flooding project wasn't drying out fast enough to create any actual farms on it? I drained it into another part of the fort in the hopes this would spread out the water a bit. This actually worked, but not quickly enough that people weren't crawling around eating vermin from the ground or quitting tasks to go eat vermin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, this poor dude is still lying in miasma while now-rotting severed arms randomly bitch slap him while he's already nearly in a coma.

[​IMG]

Skunkblood the Anger of Apes is mine. The rest is random. The Land of Paddles is our only hope at this point.

[​IMG]

Many people ignore these, but in our case, we have no wood, no spiked wooden balls or other exploitive crap because I picked the worst imaginable embark other than embarking on a terrifying glacier or something.

In any event, the dwarves showed up and we were able to trade our stone crafts for what I hope will be enough to keep us alive. We now have 300+ simple prepared meals. They're mainly plump helmets and more plump helmets. You can eat them and they don't come back to life and try to eat you. Not that there's anything around here but zombie wombats.

[​IMG]

This is a room full of dead people and dismembered bodies that I thought wouldn't come back again, since they had already come back as ghosts.

[​IMG]

Next to last thing. There's a vein of coal right next to that part of the brook that freezes in the winter. However, it wasn't frozen when I started in early spring, so if you want to try digging around it be careful to get it dammed up again before spring.

[​IMG]

And the final final thing, directly north of that room you have the only lever that matters, which should close off the front drawbridge. At least, nothing's gotten in since I shut it a couple months ago to do some quiet coal mining.

Now, why is the fort such a wreck? Everything in it was built in a blind panic while stuff was constantly attacking, and we spent more time fighting than we had to build anything. So it took a lot of hassle to get steel up, and coal, and farming (while waiting to run out of food and die).

Also there's a hand wandering around attacking people. It seems mostly harmless but I can't figure out where it is.

I recommend moving further downstairs and starting over. The fort as it currently exists is a horrifying catastrophe, but it has functioning steel production and farms, such as they are, and there is literally nothing upstairs but undead wombats that are obviously inedible. I have a Trade Depot outside the actual fort itself, but it's not going to be convenient to move it.

We have 12 citizens, but one is a baby and three are still recovering from injuries. Also one of them is starving. I turned on feeding patients for everyone but it might take more tweaking to get one of these idiots to feed him before he dies.

They also did wonderfully intelligent things like deciding a room full of evil dead body parts was a good place to sleep.

And refusing to farm when they were instead starving to death and eating vermin.

And carrying a dying guy who had just spent months being slapped around by severed body parts past three beds and a traction bench in a hospital to dump him on the far corner of the room.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #83 AnOminous, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  4. Great job AnOm, I'll fix the op later today and finish my turn on the fortress by 30th of April.
    Just a reminder that since we're at the end of our player list, if anyone wants a turn, please let us know so we can add you to the list.

Alpha Loves You

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  5. Just when I thought Dwarf Fortress couldn't get more metal it starts raining blood and piles of dismembered corpses attack dudes.

Burned Man

Burned Man Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin

kiwifarms.is
  6. Okay, now for the end of Skink Fortress.

I thought this was going to be bad, but it was obviously worse. And it got worse still.

1.png
    2.png
    3.png

So we have 15 citizens, but three of them are children and another three are injured, one of them completely unconscious and another starving. So really only nine.

It's only about two weeks until the next transformation, and nobody will do any tasks assigned to them. So I decided just to assume the injured were werebeasts and put everyone else in the remaining squad, Deagle Nation.

4.png
    The basic idea? Station them near the injured and just hope they killed them without getting turned. It wasn't a great idea but I wasn't able to coerce them into going into locked rooms.

5.png

Also there's a ghost following everyone around haunting them.

6.png
    He doesn't seem happy.

And this is what's outside.

7.png

But more on that later. Facing doom from within and without, we waited.

Finally, the day of transformation.

8.png
    This was even worse than expected. The few non-weres got killed nearly instantly. However, all but two of the skinks bled to death. This all occurred in less than a minute of real time announcement spam.

9.png

This is what we're left with. Two wereskinks, a sleeping starving guy, and three children.

10.png

And the only two semi-able-bodied adults have lost their minds and are attacking each other.

I tried for a couple weeks to do anything, but the two dwarves were totally useless. They wouldn't do anything but wander aimlessly and attack each other on sight. The sleeping starving guy apparently starved, too.

Fuck this, I'm pulling the lever. I had originally had a plan of waiting until were day and doing this, then seeing if the weres could take the undead, but they were apparently remarkably weak.

11.png

They're happy we let them in.

12.png 13.png
    As you can see, the militia commander has wandered into a dead end. The next picture is the corridor filled with undead elves.
    14.png
    This didn't last long.

15.png
    Here's the last survivor. The expedition leader who was cowering and running away died first.
    17.png

And he goes down, still accompanied by the eerie spectre of HatlerJr.

18.png

Attached Files:

• 19.png
      19.png
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 3
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  7. As the old saying goes, losing is fun.

• Like Like x 2
    Hat

Hat Tranny Sayaka Miki
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  8. My only regret is I didn't go with my original plan of stationing the entirety of the remaining group right at the gate and open it up as they turned into wereskinks.

It wouldn't have turned out any better but it might have been slightly more funny.

AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  9. Semper Fi Slink Fortress. And I'm very sorry.:semperfidelis:
    ... When's it my turn next? :optimistic::horrifying::optimistic:

In seriousness moving forward, is the new Bloodrain Fort in the same world save, or did you generate a new world @AnOminous?

• Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Sammy

Sammy Exhibits no Islamic behavior once given McNuggets
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  10. Why do people apologize for horrible results in this game? Do you realize absolutely terrible results are the norm? Have you seen some of the reports I've turned in where I flooded the fort with lava or outright destroyed it?

I don't apologize for shit! I just laugh at whoever inherits my mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
    #90 AnOminous, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  11. Hello fam, sorry it took so long, welcome to the second year at what I've dubbed "cold as fuck fort". I've called it that because it's cold as fuck and also the ground is covered in frozen blood. And also there's zombies....
    Lets begin!

Spring:
    1st of Granite: ok so this fort is a mess, we need some decent crafting facilities up and running asap, we also need bedrooms, a tavern, a hospital, a militia would help too, i guess i should get to work, everyone else here is too depressed to do anything. I guess it's up to Alfuh baring no resemblance to any other character called alpha or anything to fix this :)
    12th of Granite: we found gold under ground. Today is a good day! Poor the ale today boys, we're going to have ourselves a drink to rem....
    DF.jpg
    oh

It seems like someone has used all our plants to make easy meals. I wonder why anyone would do that when we are now in danger of dying of thirst
    :thinking:
    16th of Granite: It seems that a bunch of useful stuff has been left outside to rot in a trading post. Not that i'm complaining, there were plump helmets there we can use for booze, Ale's on me lads :)
    And just as soon, some migrants arrived:
    1 x Bone Carver
    4 x Farmers
    6 x Fishery Workers (WTF)
    1 x Mechanic
    2 x Rangers
    1 x Fisher Cleaner
    1 x Animal Trainer
    1 x Leather Worker
    1 x Hunter
    1 x Armourer
    1 x Surgeon
    3 x Children
    1 x Cheese maker
    1 x Gem Cutter

umm...
    Why do we have so many peeps, the fort has just tripled in size to 38.....
    Is it too late to take back my ale offer?
    8th of Slate: Some exceptional individual killed a camel, brought it's corpse back her and then it re-animated, killing a farmer. Thankfully, our doctor killed it with her steel battle axe. And that doctors name? Albert Einstein Alfuh likes you :)
    18th of Slate: Well, part of my work for this year is done, the workshop rooms are mostly finished and I've made some new farming rooms
    13th of Felsite: one of our new fishery dwarves has made a bracelet out of wagon wood :/
    DF.jpg
    10/10 for creativity i guess, too bad he used all our logs to make it, guess we'll just have to make do until our traders arrive.

To Be Continued...

• Like Like x 2
    Alpha Loves You

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  12. I am not sure whether to say congratulate someone for being the first dwarf ever to make an artifact out of the actual original wagon, or to kill them for doing that in a map with NO FUCKING WOOD AT ALL!

Also didn't I forbid that wood? Did you actually unforbid it?

There should still be three pieces of forbidden refined coal at the bottom of the bar stockpile.

AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  13. I didn't unforbid the wood, he just went for them. I think anything and everything is fair game when it comes to artifacts, forbidden or not.
    I'll finish the fortress tomorrow, in the meantime @diana @Burned Man @An Ghost do any of you want a game after me?

Alpha Loves You

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  14. @Alpha Loves You
    I'd prefer to wait till after May but if no one steps up I'd be happy to destroy our game save with my antics.

• Like Like x 1
    diana

diana smells of YSL and sadness
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  15. I’ll have to hold off until after finals. But also my grandmother is in the hospital and I know if I say yes it’ll jinx her.

• Feels Feels x 3
    An Ghost

An Ghost Vacca Stulta
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  16. Don't mind me I'm just here to spectate the dwarven shenanigans.

• Feels Feels x 1
    Burned Man

Burned Man Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin

kiwifarms.is
  17. Summer:
    3rd of Hematite: We've started using the new farms we made to start growing plump helmets and other veggies, thank Armok we got that influx of farmers, they'll help out a lot with this.
    24th of Hematite: For now, I've allowed the fisherdwarves to go outside the fortress to fish so we don't starve to death. I've put counter measures against this by making a new burrows and putting it in our new tarvern, were the switch for the front door is also located.
    16th of Malachite: We got some more migrants:
    4 x Fishery Workers (seriously, again)
    1 x Architect
    1 x Miner
    1 x Farmer
    1 x Suterer
    1 x Children
    1 x Weaponsmith
    1 x Woodcrafter

Our total dwarves are now up to 48, and we have way too many fisherdwarves.
    27th of Malachite: A fishery Worker has been murdered by a zombie Camel, maybe i should have seen this coming... sent the militia out to deal with this new problem.
    2nd of Galena, Problem has been solved, but not without a mechanic dying unfortunately, they will be remembered as a massive spaz.
    14th of Galena: For now, due to several zombie related incidents, i have disallowed our fisherdwarves to go outside to fish. Anyone going after me can change this if they want but for now, it's safer that they don't. In any case, here's our crafting rooms:
    DF.jpg
    22nd of Galena: So, whilst everyone else has been doing dumb shit like dying and crying about it, I've been busy
    DF.jpg
    Oh yeah
    DF.jpg
    Autumn:
    13th of Limestone: The traders are here, bout damn time, we've been making some cool stuff for them whilst they've been screwing around. But i'll forgive them though, because they brought wood.
    20th of Limestone: So somebody, not naming any names here @AnOminous Decided it would be a great idea to order literally 50 bins of tanned leather. well, that's how many we were rich enough to buy at least, Armok knows how many the traders will be leaving with. We did get a ton of wood though as well as some food and seeds.
    4th of Sandstone: Migrants for the last time this year:
    1 x Ranger
    1 x Trader
    3 x Children
    1 x Thresher
    1 x Armourer
    1 x Stonecrafter
    1 x Papermaker
    1 x Animal Dissector
    1 x Farmer
    1 x Fishery Worker

Our population now rests at a respectable 58
    5th of Timber: Some jackass has used the well dry, i'm not even sure how they did that because there's still water left inside, i guess it's time to rebuild it in a slightly different place.
    10th of Timber: just as fast, the dyke froze up, time to strike the platinum resting in the seams while we can.
    23rd of Timber:
    DF.jpg
    third artefact this year, go us.
    Winter:
    6th of Moonstone: we've been slowly recruiting human mercenaries to fix up our militia squad, they'll be doing not much else besides killing undead wombats until they die.
    15th of Moonstone: The Storage areas are finished:
    DF.jpg
    20th of Moonstone:
    DF.jpg
    Baby counter up to 1
    21st of Moonstone:
    DF.jpg
    Literally moments later, baby counter up to 2
    22nd of Moonstone:
    DF.jpg
    Oh no.... baby counter is 3 and rapidly rising
    25th of Moonstone:
    DF.jpg
    Oh Christ, first we're drowning in babies, now a cow has attacked us
    send in the militia, the babies can wait
    26th of Moonstone: the battle is won, but at a terrible cost... We fought hard and valiantly but Alpfuh, the very important dwarf, has perished against the beast. In less important news, another dwarf is injured, I will be writing this journal from beyond the grave
    R.I.P Alfuh Likes you
    191 - 251
    Died to a cow and also made a platinum toy or something

DF.jpg

To be continued tomorrow

• Like Like x 4
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    Alpha Loves You

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  18. This may have changed, but you used to be able to exploit the mood process by forbidding absolutely everything of the class the moody dwarf wanted, such as forbidding everything but adamantine wafers, and basically get them to make an incredibly valuable artifact out of items of your choosing. You could even do this while they were actually carrying it. I would usually actually do the opposite and force them to create an artifact out of utter crap rather than create an artifact that did nothing but increase the "value" of the fortress and raise it to the point of getting attacked constantly.

I'm not sure if this changed, but you used to be able to do this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  19. Winter continued:
    1st of Opal: After the tragedy of Alfuh's death, we will honour her memory by making some sweet leather clothes. We definitely have enough of the stuff and working in a glacier made of frozen human blood is tiring.
    Oh yeah, and also her fucking corpse came back to life and tried to kill a child.
    DF.jpg
    9th of Opal: The cow has come back too, this is turning into quite the nightmare:
    DF.jpg
    12th of Opal:
    DF.jpg
    Oh fuck...
    2nd of Obsidian: we have a... umm... slight issue with reanimated body parts. Let this be a lesson to you, never let anyone die. at the very least, the problem with the well is fixed.
    10th of Obsidian: well, if there's any good news to come of this:
    DF.jpg
    counter up to 4.
    20th of Obsidian: well, alfuh's burial chamber remains unfinished for this year, for the next person reign, please place a golden statue in the appropriate space:
    DF.jpg
    28th of Obsidian: well fam, i'm going to say it. Amidst Minotaur's, babies, vampires and the undead, we've ended this year in a much better place, well, i have at least, i'm fucking dead anyway.
    Here's how our fortress looks right now:
    DF.jpg

And here's the save:
    http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13719

Whoever wants it next can take it, there 2 weeks starts when they do

• Winner Winner x 2
    Alpha Loves You

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  20. I'm impressed with your ability to improve a fortress in a biome where I nearly died, and which is actively more hostile to life than biomes considered "Terrifying."

Anyone who follows you should concentrate on steel weapons and equipping and training the military with them, and on letting NOBODY die ever (which is impossible).

• Feels Feels x 1
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.