Epic Games General Thread - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
It was sizeable, yes. But if you were to compare the PC scene prior to 2009 to now, that would be equal to how you can measure Pluto to Jupiter, and yes it does matter. Before 2009 it was pretty ass. We really only had 4 landmark titles between 2004 and 2007 that pushed PC's and they were at some point ported to consoles to appeal to that audience. They didn't make their money back on PC because of how niche that audience was at the time. 2009 saw the explosion of Steam as a viable platform for various developers and creators as a hub to buy games, form communities and just making the entire platform as a whole to get into. Gave himself said that piracy was primarily a service issue, and pretty much made piracy up until recently a moot point. It does matter.
What we have now is all multiplats and indies.
I can't even think of a single modern PC exclusive that isn't an indie game or isn't from an area where PC gaming has always reigned supreme.

I guess at least multiplats run better now since consoles and PCs have become much more similar platforms to develop for.

Before the recession Sony had their own exclusive stores. I used to visit one with my parents prior to that time.
But surely not Sony PlayStation exclusive?

KanaPostsonKiwi

kiwifarms.net
Since when? There are only few games I can remember having a ton of trouble getting them to run (Morrowind for example). They are of course notoriously finnicky now when you're trying to play them on a modern OS and hardware they were never designed for.
It depends what you're trying to run and what era is it from. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 for instance is particularly notorious example because it was programmed in Assembly of all things. Then there's lesser known titles like Beasts & Bumpkins and Once Upon a Knight, among with a good number of Win 95/98 titles which' only barely functioned through backwards compatibility on XP, and after 7 no longer function at all. Some of the more endearing and niche classics of that era are just unplayable without virtual machine, and some of them fail to work even then. Of course huge titles like RCT1 have gotten complete rewrites since then, especially with GOG's rise.
I can't even think of a single modern PC exclusive that isn't an indie game or isn't from an area where PC gaming has always reigned supreme.
Considering that covers all genres that basically aren't 2D or 3D platforming, it's a bit of a tall order to find a PC exclusive non-indie game in that field.

Greenman gaming is a keyseller, they sell keys from other digital store fronts. Humble bundle similarly to greenman is just a key seller. Never heard of chrono.gg but it's funny that you point at GOG as someone who doesn't use exclusivity as they have indefinite exlusive publishing rights to a lot of classic games they sell. I admit that GoG puts more work than most but to say that they don't do exclusivity is false, they just do it with games you don't care bout.
Greenman gaming is a keyseller, despite them shipping actual game boxes. Ok then.
Humble Bundle is a keyseller, despite from the very start having their own downloads for games that don't incorporate a storefront. Sounds about right. They also have their own store nowadays, so that point is even more special.

GOG has exclusivity of those titles because the titles used to be abandonware. GOG used to stand for "good old games", and their market revolved entirely on contacting the developers of games that would not work correctly on modern machines (as mentioned above), and putting in the work with the developers to make them function properly. I'm sure this is news to you though, and you just assume this is in any way comparable to epic games. I also own more than 300 titles from the time when it was called "good old games", so sure, i really couldn't give a toss about them.

Last edited:

xr95

Chad Stallman movement
kiwifarms.net
What we have now is all multiplats and indies.
I can't even think of a single modern PC exclusive that isn't an indie game or from an area where PC gaming has always reigned supreme.

I guess at least multiplats run better now since consoles and PCs have become much more similar platforms to develop for.
That's what I'm getting at. Japanese games were practically non-existent at the time on western PCs, save for a Korean mmo here and there. When RE 5 and DMC4 was released on steam, I was shocked. Nowadays there are same day releases for Japanese titles now, and it's great.

But surely not Sony PlayStation exclusive
I think @secretasshole is conflating stores with kiosks at various outlet malls back in the day tbh

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
That's what I'm getting at. Japanese games were practically non-existent at the time on western PCs, save for a Korean mmo here and there. When RE 5 and DMC4 was released on steam, I was shocked. Nowadays there are same day releases for Japanese titles now, and it's great.
Actually, there were more than people think.
MGS 1 & 2, every main Resident Evil game (but I very much regret 4, I've never seen a worse port), FF 7 and 8, are all games I played on PC.

But anyway, this has more to do with how easy it is to develop for consoles and PCs now.
Once the Japanese ported games to the 360, more and more games were also ported to PC.
They still can't into PC gaming - none of these games are designed with a PC in mind.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
MGS 1 & 2, every main Resident Evil game (but I very much regret 4, I've never seen a worse port), FF 7 and 8, are all games I played on PC.
Quick anecdote: Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 were never, and still aren't, available to play on PC unless you're emulating them. Are you sure you're not thinking of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 for MSX?

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Oh right, the janky ports of 1 and 2 that severely gimped/broke the game, completely removed the Psycho Mantis section because it required PS infrastructure to work correctly, and required you to download separate executables to even access the VR missions, to the point they got completely wiped from existence...keep forgetting about those.

• Winner
Reactions: Martys_not_smarty

xr95

Chad Stallman movement
kiwifarms.net

But anyway, this has more to do with how easy it is to develop for consoles and PCs now.
Once the Japanese ported games to the 360, more and more games were also ported to PC.
They still can't into PC gaming - none of these games are designed with a PC in mind.
But here's the thing: a lot of the japanese ports were inferior to the console version and released later than the console version. Hell, Silent Hill 2 on PC is inferior to the Xbox version. Because they didn't want to put in the effort on PC if nobody was going to buy them on the same scale on console. If there wasn't a large platform like steam I doubt we would get a proper Ace Combat game on PC or definitive ports like Vanquish/Bayonetta.

Reactions: GloJojo

Oh Shit I'm Sorry

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
kiwifarms.net
Hold up. What? Pretty much every media, even non gaming related ones, have pocked fun and criticized him. From his bold face lying after the release of Alien Colonial Marines, to his fascination with "magic tricks", his very short lived controversy of him posting "animal abuse", the melt down over PC gamer, and so on, and so on, and so on. The dude is a gold mine for clicks. Even with EGS specific stuff there was plenty of reporting on the people getting flagged as scammers during the EGS sale, the security concern/tencens involvement and just general criticism over missed features. What i will say is that the mainstream gaming media will take any chance to criticize "toxic gamers" but they'll do that rather they're yelling about EGS, EA, Bioware, anyone.
That's Pitchford, not Sweeney you baka exceptional individual.

• Agree
Reactions: SiccDicc

ltlftp

kiwifarms.net
Now while i agree it is scummy there is already a history of things like things like this happening. Again, Rockstar, textbook example, they were paid money by...microsoft i think? To get a 6 month exclusivity deal for the Xbox and yes this also affected the PC . It didn't shater the gaming ecosystem then, it certainly won't shatter it now.
I assume you're thinking of the GTA4 expansions as that is the only game Rockstar had last gen that was exclusive to one console that I can recall. However it's a situation like I was describing earlier, nothing like the current Epic garbage. The GTA4 expansions were announced as 360 exclusive before the base game ever came out. Long before it came out actually. It wasn't something that happened just a few months before the game was about to be in people's hands.

Regardless, I was never really arguing that it would shatter the gaming ecosystem or anything like that anyway. Actually my only other post in this thread before responding to you was saying that I think Epic's strategy is pretty bad. I just don't see any of what they're doing right now working out in the long term. They're blowing way too much money on what is essentially a gamble with this "exclusive" stuff. But more importantly they have over 1000 employees now, most of which are working on fortnite according to them. That kind of number is really not going to be sustainable forever yet they are not slowing down recruitment.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am arguing for a third option. It may require some inconvenience, but in the long run it will be better than what we have. The third option is to stop relying on steam to be your social gaming center and use other launchers like Uplay, Games for Windows, something similar(NOT EPIC), and encourage other developers to develop their own launchers.
GOG Galaxy is the only non-Steam launcher worth considering using. Change my mind.

CricketyCrikes

kiwifarms.net
It was sizeable, yes. But if you were to compare the PC scene prior to 2009 to now, that would be equal to how you can measure Pluto to Jupiter, and yes it does matter. Before 2009 it was pretty ass. We really only had 4 landmark titles between 2004 and 2007 that pushed PC's and they were at some point ported to consoles to appeal to that audience. They didn't make their money back on PC because of how niche that audience was at the time. 2009 saw the explosion of Steam as a viable platform for various developers and creators as a hub to buy games, form communities and just making the entire platform as a whole to get into. Gave himself said that piracy was primarily a service issue, and pretty much made piracy up until recently a moot point. It does matter.
I'm just gonna put this very simply. Do you think those games were developed like that because they were going to be put on PC or do you think those games were put on PC because they were developed like that? Now you can do more or less one to one ports today but in early ps3/Xbox360 days and before that you used to have entire development teams who's console "ports" would really just be their own game because the original would not be in any way portable to console.

I assume you're thinking of the GTA4 expansions as that is the only game Rockstar had last gen that was exclusive to one console that I can recall. However it's a situation like I was describing earlier, nothing like the current Epic garbage. The GTA4 expansions were announced as 360 exclusive before the base game ever came out. Long before it came out actually. It wasn't something that happened just a few months before the game was about to be in people's hands.
Perhaps i'm mis-remembering but i distinctly recall GTA4 being announced for xbox 360 early then PS3 got it a few months later. Then that exclusivity deal was later extended after the game was released for the expansions though it was before we knew what the expansions were. I get your points, they're pretty good ones. While i agree that initial rush to make games exclusive was a super bad move on their part people seem to get ass mad even when something like Borderlands 3 became an exclusive or some indie game mid-development decided to go exclusive. It's just people being mad for the sake of being mad at that point.

Greenman gaming is a keyseller, despite them shipping actual game boxes. Ok then.
Humble Bundle is a keyseller, despite from the very start having their own downloads for games that don't incorporate a storefront. Sounds about right. They also have their own store nowadays, so that point is even more special.

GOG has exclusivity of those titles because the titles used to be abandonware. GOG used to stand for "good old games", and their market revolved entirely on contacting the developers of games that would not work correctly on modern machines (as mentioned above), and putting in the work with the developers to make them function properly. I'm sure this is news to you though, and you just assume this is in any way comparable to epic games. I also own more than 300 titles from the time when it was called "good old games", so sure, i really couldn't give a toss about them.
Yeah, they're key sellers. They sell keys for EGS and Steam and Uplay and Origin and GOG etc etc. Great they also send boxes which i'm sure have keys for steam or EGS or origin or whatever,but my point stands. These aren't greenmangaming keys for the greenman gaming store.
I've bought several games from humble bundle and they literally just give a key, they e-mail a key for steam. Yes they have a store front now, guess what they sell in the store front, keys. I assume you haven't actually used any of the stores you mentioned and just did a quick google search.

I don't care if it's comparable to EGS or not. You were simply wrong in saying they don't do exclusives.

But here's the thing: a lot of the japanese ports were inferior to the console version and released later than the console version. Hell, Silent Hill 2 on PC is inferior to the Xbox version. Because they didn't want to put in the effort on PC if nobody was going to buy them on the same scale on console. If there wasn't a large platform like steam I doubt we would get a proper Ace Combat game on PC or definitive ports like Vanquish/Bayonetta.
I think you're starting to conflate markets now. Japan has always been a massive market for consoles over PC. That is still true now although there has been a marginal shift. Those ports weren't bad because there wasn't a large western market for PC gaming, those ports were bad because Japanese devs didn't care for PC in general and they hardly develope with export in mind.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: KanaPostsonKiwi

Suck the Cock

kiwifarms.net
I'm not gonna bother putting the Mad on the Internet tag on basically every post in the past 2 pages, but this sperging would deserve it. How did we even get into Origin or GOG? Because one lolcow tries to make a shitty defense? Just stick to China shitposting, it's what we're good at. It doesn't matter how many other sites exist, and it doesn't matter how bad they are, the EGS is trash. If it was better than Steam, it'd still be trash. Because that's what trash is, it's not a zero-sum game. Defending exclusivity because there's more context makes you look like an idiot with arbitrary rules.

KanaPostsonKiwi

kiwifarms.net
I'm just gonna put this very simply. Do you think those games were developed like that because they were going to be put on PC or do you think those games were put on PC because they were developed like that? Now you can do more or less one to one ports today but in early ps3/Xbox360 days and before that you used to have entire development teams who's console "ports" would really just be their own game because the original would not be in any way portable to console.
"PC games are developed to work best with PC, this is bad, you guys". Can you get any smarter than this? And no, you can't do one-to-one ports, because the control schemes, hardware, user interfaces et.c. are vastly different. You could do one-to-one ports for Xbone and PS4 (which are underpowered PCs with controllers), but the moment you get Switch or PC you have significantly higher accessibility.

Yeah, they're key sellers. They sell keys for EGS and Steam and Uplay and Origin and GOG etc etc. Great they also send boxes which i'm sure have keys for steam or EGS or origin or whatever,but my point stands. These aren't greenmangaming keys for the greenman gaming store.
I've bought several games from humble bundle and they literally just give a key, they e-mail a key for steam. Yes they have a store front now, guess what they sell in the store front, keys. I assume you haven't actually used any of the stores you mentioned and just did a quick google search.
You are a very smart boy, and i'm sure your mother is very proud of you. Everyone else can see that you're an idiot, however. Green man gaming has always sold games as retail. They have never once been a key seller unless the title is explicitly digital sale only. By your galaxy brain logic Gamestop is a key seller, because you can input the CD Key (if any) on Steam and it'll accept it.

Oh, they literally just give a key? What's the deal with all of this shit then?
1565776037245.png

Is it a 1.5Gb download for a key? That's one big-ass fucking key. Do they expect you to type it down in entirety? Copying a string of that size might crash the clipboard.
In fact, i couldn't find a single thing in my library there that didn't have the download option.

What sort of chinese knock-off humble bundle do you use? They never email keys to anyone else.

I don't care if it's comparable to EGS or not.
Tattoo this on your ass backwards so you can look at your own words in the mirror. Maybe one day you'll realize what you just said.

I think you're starting to conflate markets now. Japan has always been a massive market for consoles over PC. That is still true now although there has been a marginal shift. Those ports weren't bad because there wasn't a large western market for PC gaming, those ports were bad because Japanese devs didn't care for PC in general and they hardly develope with export in mind.
いいえ、てめえは精神薄弱だ。 Japan has an absolutely massive PC scene, and console games are largely seen as exclusively children's activity. You just do not see any of it because a lot of it doesn't appear in the west. Please, claim other things about Japan too, because you have such a good track record being massively wrong in everything else.

Last edited:

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
So, while everyone had fun beating the idiot, heres another fun Epic story I read from one Russian chap. Apparently their launcher doesnt allow you to change the games language, thus you cannot play something like Alan Wake in a Russian dub, so to fix that problem you need to fumble with the launchers settings an then add an special command that will allow to play games in Russian an the kicker is that Epic emselves have no idea about this.

CricketyCrikes

kiwifarms.net
"PC games are developed to work best with PC, this is bad, you guys".
Where did you even get that from?

If you give out keys for which you NEED a third party launcher then you are a key seller. If GameStop is doing that, they are keysellers. If Humblebundle and greenman gaming make all their money doing that, they are keysellers. Offering up 1 gig flash games doesn't mean much when the majority of their share is made selling keys.

It's weird how aggressive some people get when when their circle jerk gets broken up. I'm honestly not sure why i expected to find anything more than the average quarterpounder video comments.

KanaPostsonKiwi

kiwifarms.net
If you give out keys for which you NEED a third party launcher then you are a key seller. If GameStop is doing that, they are keysellers. If Humblebundle and greenman gaming make all their money doing that, they are keysellers. Offering up 1 gig flash games doesn't mean much when the majority of their share is made selling keys.
G2A is a key seller. Green man gaming sells games as retail, as does Humblebundle, and they are not bound to any storefront unlike you try your hardest to claim, even when proven wrong repeatedly.
Sometimes digital-only releases are sold in boxes as if retail. I do not understand how many times you have to be dropped on your head as a child to not understand basic shit like this.

CricketyCrikes

kiwifarms.net
G2A is a key seller. Green man gaming sells games as retail, as does Humblebundle, and they are not bound to any storefront unlike you try your hardest to claim, even when proven wrong repeatedly.
Sometimes digital-only releases are sold in boxes as if retail. I do not understand how many times you have to be dropped on your head as a child to not understand basic shit like this.
They literally tell you in the product page which launcher the key you get is valid for. If Gamestops gives me a box with a key i can't use without having a launcher installed then they just sold me a key for that launcher.
I don't know how much simpler i can make this for you.

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: AnOminous

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
They literally tell you in the product page which launcher the key you get is valid for. If Gamestops gives me a box with a key i can't use without having a launcher installed then they just sold me a key for that launcher.
I don't know how much simpler i can make this for you.
G2A deals in keys. GMG and Humble Bundle offer standalone downloads if it's an option, G2A will not.
If GMG and Humble Bundle are given standalone downloads or even a private torrent for a specific game, that is what they will provide.
Stop stringing out this pointless argument.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino