Sonichu [FAN-FICTION] New Generation Sonichu - Novelizing the Infamous Webcomic

Euphues Evenlede

autiste extraordinaire
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This site has far too few Sonichu stories, so I decided to write my own. I don’t have the literary GEINUS of R.L. Stein, nor am I a celebrated lyricist like Monica, but surely my meager talents will suffice to entertain a few true and honest Sonichu fans for free.

Synopsis: The legally-distinct electric hedgehog Sonichu struggles to live and love while the powers around him conspire to destroy his world.

7voFJgc.jpg

Today I am pleased that Fate chose the city of CWCville as my birthplace. This little town lies on the boundary between our time and an age of darkness whose prevention will be the greatest accomplishment in our lifetime, at least for those of us from this generation, and we must use any means at our disposal to ensure it. Not for any economical reasons, no. Even if the economics were irrelevant, even if they were harmful for us, nevertheless our struggle must take place, and we must succeed, at any cost.

CWCville has become for me the symbol for my present mission. In another respect, it looms as an admonition of my previous failures. With any luck it will become a shining beacon towards our victory.

— Ricardo Naitsirhc Rodriguez

1​

Our story begins in a small white box. Within that box two fighters slide into view. The first, a female purple hedgehog with pink and blue shoes, darts back and forth. The second, a red one with white gloves, stands in a defensive position. The purple one takes this opportunity to initiate her attack. The white box containing them breaks and the entire scene pours into view.

“And Chloe begins the battle with a fierce assault!” screamed the announcer. “Oh, but Punchy bounces right back!”

The red hedgehog deflected Chloe’s attack, sending her skidding away. Chloe balanced herself before jolting forward, and the battle commenced in earnest.

They stood in the center of a massive arena. Their battlefield was basic, being composed of only well-manicured dirt layered over with various white lines, though no one was ever sure what those lines were supposed to represent or accomplish. The people couldn’t care less. The thousands seated around them cheered for each competitor with ferocious gusto.

Chloe aimed many swift jabs at Punchy. Punchy dodged them all with ease. He jumped up high to avoid her last jab, using her shoulders as a springboard to reach the other side of the field. Chloe spun around to face him.

Punchy clamped his hands together and grinned. Ripples of red energy emanated from his body.

“And there it is! The fighting power of Punchy!”

In a motion too quick to capture on television, Punchy traversed the field and struck Chloe square in the jaw. The female fighter wobbled, her expression dazed. She then fell backwards, hard, hitting her head against the compressed dirt.

“This could be the end for Chloe!” said the announcer. His voice became distant and distorted by the front window of an electronics shop. An electric hedgehog stood by watching the program intently. The honk of a horn broke his concentration.

Sonichu turned his attention away from the television and towards the street he stood by. Cars moved slowly next to him, and people strode past him. No one seemed to notice him, nor did anyone seem to care that there was a magic hedgehog monster standing in their midst.

“The city of CWCville, a big city filled with everyday business and excitement,” Sonichu said quietly to himself. “But on this fateful day in history, a hedgehog rises from the confines of his previous life, combined with the positive power of his many fantastic dreams to sweep this city off its feet!”

Sonichu had always wanted to be a competitive fighter. He could remember watching the superpowered competitions since he was a young lad. Now was his chance to turn that dream into a reality. The international championships began tomorrow, the perfect opportunity to rub elbows with the godlike idols Sonichu adored so strongly. If he were smooth enough, he could develop contacts with industry insiders and find an opening he could readily fill, working his way up towards more prominent roles as he proved to be an industrious and resourceful worker.

Unfortunately, Sonichu was anything but smooth.

“Uhhh... Wait, where’s the competition supposed to be held, anyway? Hm...”

MEANWHILE...

Naitsirhc Rodriguez stood in a blue room with his lead scientist, Ren Skysoar. Ahead of them there was a pedestal upon which was the scepter containing the disembodied spirit of an ancient sorcerer and earl of some renowned. The three of them had been arguing back and forth for the past fifteen minutes.

“Do you really think that it’s a good idea to trust this guy?” Ren asked Naitsirhc. “How can we guarantee that he has our best interests at heart?”

Naitsirhc’s red hair stood up straight as it always had, and his right hand came up to grip the goggles on his forehead while his face contorted in concentration. “We cannot,” he told Ren. “But this is the last lead we have. We’ll have to pursue it.”

“You don’t have to. There may be another way.”

“And what if there isn’t?” Naitsirhc snapped back. “I don’t need your approval to proceed with my plans.”

“Have you come to a decision, Naitsirhc?” asked a deep and dark voice that emanated from the pedestal. “I can prepare the spell as soon as you’re ready.”

“Yes, I’ve come to a decision. We’ll proceed with your plan, but we’ll have to retrieve a subject first.” He turned to Ren. “Go get Silvana.”

Ren stared back at Naitsirhc. “Silvana? Is that really who you want to expose to that... demon?”

“She’s loyal,” was his only reply.

Ren Skysoar sighed but did as Naitsirhc had commanded. When Ren had left the room, Naitsirhc regarded the pedestal.

“Graduon, if you betray me, you won’t escape from my wrath.”

“Of course, sir,” said the sorcerer. “I wouldn’t think of betraying you.”

Ren returned with the requested subject, a fair female hedgehog monster covered in white fur and topped by a head of long yellow hair. A small smile alighted on her lips, and her eyes sparkled with well-mannered eagerness.

“You called for me?” she asked, standing with impeccable posture.

“Yes. I need you to enter into a dark demon dimension for me.”

“That sounds... easy enough?”

“It will be incredibly dangerous, but I trust you’ll come out alright. If you succeed, we’ll have acquired an invaluable asset to our mission, but the decision to carry out this operation is up to you.”

That last sentence struck her oddly, as Naitsirhc had never before given her the option to opt-out of any of his commands, and neither had she heard of this happening to any other subordinate of his.

“Of course I-I’ll do it,” she said. “I-If it’s that important.”

“I’ll connect the crystal at your command,” Ren told Naitsirhc. He stood right next to Silvana, but his face was inscrutable to her.

“Go at it, then,” Naitsirhc said. He showed no signs of nervousness. He placed his hands behind his back and watched as Ren pulled out a small red stone from his coat pocket and stepped up to the pedestal. Ren pressed a button on the pedestal that opened up a small hatch on its side. He then placed the stone inside and closed the hatch the same way he had opened it.

“Here we go. I’m initiating the connection now.” He pressed another button on the pedestal and they all watched as a hydraulic press beneath the stone pushed it up until it came into contact with the orb on top. The orb grew much brighter at the moment of contact, filling the room with purple light.

“Aha! Yes! Excellent. This should be just enough energy to cast the spell,” said the sorcerer from within the orb. “Behold, mortals, my Dark Mirror Hole!” The name was apt. A massive swirling vortex of energy framed by an ornate black trim tore into existence right before their eyes. “The young lady merely has to step inside.”

Silvana looked at Naitsirhc for further direction. He nodded his encouragement. Regret for accepting this mission seeped into her feet. Regardless, she faced the vortex and walked forward. The vortex floated in front of her, its strange opening stretching out like the mouth of a monster eager to eat her. Abandoning all of her apprehensions, she closed her eyes and surrendered herself to the void.

2​

“I gave her a choice so that I wouldn’t feel guilty if something went wrong.” Naithsirhc sipped his glass of orange juice over ice and set it back down. A whole night had passed since the magical incident. “So why isn’t it working?” He stared at Walter, waiting for an answer.

The two housemates sat at their small breakfast table talking. Walter avoided Naitsirhc’s piercing green glare while trying to come up with an answer.

“You knew she couldn’t refuse,” he said. “Her sense of honor wouldn’t let her.”

“You might be right.” Naitsirhc took a breath and sat back in his seat, folding his arms behind his head. “I honestly thought I could trust Graduon. I’ve always known when people were lying to me—and I suppose he didn’t actually lie—”

“He sounds like every storybook sorcerer to me.”

Naitsirhc nodded. “I should’ve known better. But it’s too late now.”

“How’s the girl doing?” Walter asked.

“We’ve got her on lockdown right now. I’ve got some of the guys working on a way to reverse the effects of the magic, but I don’t have high hopes for their success.”

“Pretty spooky stuff,” Walt said while shivering. “Got any good news to give me?”

“The Championships have raked in a king’s ransom this year.”

Walter chuckled. “Do you have a winner picked out yet?”

“That guy from Japan—Sonikku is his name, I believe—he’s favored by the fans. Personally I’d put money on the pink rookie. She’s got some talent.”

“Is that some investment advice I hear?” Walter said, smiling.

“It’s a prediction based on past experience. I’ve got no control over how the games will go.”

“Ya, ya, you keep telling me that, and I still don’t believe you.”

“Believe what you want,” Naitsirhc said, standing up. “I’ve got work to do.”

Walter smirked. “See you tonight, Nate.”

Naitsirhc had only taken a few steps before he turned back around and pointed at Walter. “Hey, and I don’t want you placing any bets with the Villa. I don’t care if you have bets with your buds at the bar, but the Villa’s been biting my heels about fixing the game ever since they got into the betting business. I don’t want any friend of mine patronizing low-flying buzzards like them.”

Walter held up his hands in a plea of innocence. “I wouldn’t dream of it. Rumor has it that they’re a honeypot for the Feds anyway.”

“Good man,” Naitsirhc told his friend before finally taking off.

3​

Ren Skysoar dragged himself into his laboratory. He took a long dreg of coffee before setting the mug down on some expensive machinery. He pulled his lab coat off its peg and put it on. The smell of cold air calmed him down. The caffeine chased the sleep from his eyes. His cheeks brightened. He always put a dash of brandy in his coffee, and it never failed to liven him up.

He’d worked the whole day yesterday on this project and most of the night, too. Despite his effort, he felt no closer to the solution. Every avenue he approached led to an impenetrable dead end. Nothing in his long years of research had prepared him to face this sort of problem.

He flipped the room’s light switch. One by one the large industrial light bulbs above him blinked to life. The last light turned on above a large glass cylinder filled with green liquid. Someone slept within that tube of bubbling liquid.

The only problem being that it was the wrong person.

“Bill?!” Ren rushed over to the assistant scientist trapped inside the cylinder. “Bill, how’d you get in there?” Ren shook his head. Bill couldn’t hear him.

Ren typed his security code into the containment unit’s access panel. After the unit accepted his code, he initiated the emergency release sequence. Klaxons blared to life, and the room was awash in red light. The electronic locks securing the glass popped. Hydraulic pistons pulled the container up, spilling its contents onto the laboratory floor. The scientist who had been suspended slammed into the ground and slid across it, lubricated by green goo.

“Bill! Bill! Wake up, Bill!” Ren shook the man by his shoulders. A chill ran up Ren’s spine. He pressed his fingers against Bill’s neck. Cold slime covered his hand.

Ren sighed with relief when he felt Bill’s heartbeat.

“Can you hear me?” Ren swallowed the lump of fear that had clogged his throat. “Talk to me, please.”

Bill’s eyes opened. “Ya—” he said. His voice sounded small and dry.

“What happened?”

Bill’s body shook as he sat up. He took a moment to pop his neck and stretch his muscles. Then he stared at Ren and smiled.

“You made a big mistake. That’s what happened.” Bill’s eyes changed from their natural color to a shining purple. Black fur spread across his skin. His human features morphed into a more bestial form. “But thank you for freeing me nonetheless.” The voice came out with a far higher pitch this time. It was not Bill’s voice at all, but a woman’s voice, a voice he knew.

“Silvana—”

“Shhh.” She pressed a finger against his lips. “No time to talk. Your security officers will be here soon because of that stupid siren you set off. So I’ve got to go.” She stood up. “But don’t worry. Nate’s a forgiving guy. He might not kill you for this fuck-up.” Her smile grew crueler. Sadistic excitement filled her eyes. “Though he’s probably not going to be in a very forgiving mood once he finds out what else has gone missing.”

“What else—?”

“You’ll see,” she said, walking away. She picked up the coffee mug he’d left at the door. “You should quit drinking this stuff. It’s not good for you,” she said before exiting the laboratory.

4​

Rosechu stood in the dark. She could tell that she was in an arena. She’d fought in enough of them to know that much, but no noise came from the bleachers. There were no bright lights that gave her a headache after standing under them for too long. There were no smells of dirt, sweat, or popcorn salt. It was empty.

Rosechu walked through the shadows, sure that she would find an exit on the other side of the field. While walking she had the acute sense that someone had followed her. She turned her head and saw him.

A black hedgehog was walking toward her. His eyes glowed a curious color between roses and heated steel. Small sparks of energy popped off his cheeks, his arms, and his legs. He raised his upper lip and scowled.

“Are you rearing for a fight, bub?” she asked, raising her fists.

The hedgehog said nothing. His stride never ceased.

“Not much of a talker, are you?” Rosechu said when the hedgehog was only a few feet from her. She smiled. “I can fix that in a hurry.” When he arrived, she punched him in the face, but her arm failed to connect and flew straight through him.

His body dissipated into the darkness.

“What?” She looked left and right but saw no sign of him among the shadows.

“You’re still too slow,” he said. “You’ll never win like that.” Someone ran toward her in the dark. Her eyes widened. She shielded her head with her hands right before his fist connected with her chin.

“Auagghh!”

Rosechu escaped the wreckage of her slumber. She was sitting upright in her bed. Her bedsheets were laying on the ground. Sweat matted the pink fur on her face. This was the third time that she had had that same dream. She’d woken up the same way each time: sweaty, breathing heavy, afraid.

But she wasn’t afraid, at least not intellectually. Her body on the other had was on the verge of pissing itself with fright. Her brain and her body wrestled with this dilemma for a few minutes. In the end her rational side won out, and she got out of bed.

Stepping over toys and piles of laundry (both dirty and clean), she made her way to the bathroom adjacent to her room.

Rosechu’s morning routine was relatively simple, an approach she termed hygienic minimalism. Each day she would relieve herself, shower, and pick up a clean pink and blue dress from the pile and pull it over her body. All this she did quickly. The knot in her heart eased and unfurled after her shower.

Her morning rituals completed, she stretched out her arms and walked into the hallway where she could smell Kel cooking breakfast. Eggs and bacon.

Rosechu stepped into the kitchen, causing Kel to look up from her skillet and smile.

“You’re up early,” Kel said. She was a young woman with brown hair and a sharp chin. Her eyes were blue, just like Rosechu’s.

Rosechu checked the kitchen clock. “It’s ten o’clock,” she said.

“Early for you, I mean.”

Rosechu sat down at their kitchen table. She rested her head on the knuckles of her hand. Her eyes fluttered a bit before ending up in a half-lidded position.

“Another nightmare?” Kel asked.

“Same one,” said Rosechu. “But it’s fine. I’m fine. Everything’s fine.” Rosechu sighed.

Kel walked over to her with a plate of bacon, eggs, and toast. “Are you nervous about today?”

Rosechu’s eyes flashed, and her stare grew stronger. “Of course not. There’s not a single one of those guys that could even come close to competing with me.” She sat up in her chair. “They should save themselves the trouble and just bow out now.” She lifted herself up slightly with her palms.

“You’ve had a few close calls,” Kel said with a wink.

“Un-de-feat-ed,” Rosechu said.

Kel nodded. She pushed the plate closer to Rosechu who huffed but still took it and ate. “Those were all regional and state competitions. This one will be international, the best in the world.”

“Do you think I don’t know that?” Rosechu asked through a mouthful of food. “Believe me, there’s not a single guy out there that could even come close to beating me.”

Kel prepared her own plate of food and sat down across from Rosechu. Kel’s mouth thinned as she thought.

“Sometimes,” Kel stated. “Sometimes your unconscious mind will try to tell you what you’re too afraid to tell yourself.”

“I’m not afraid of anyone.”

Kel didn’t voice her skepticism, but it still showed on her face. She glanced at the clock. “It’s just some food for thought. Once you’re ready to go, we’ll head out. That should give us plenty of time to get to the train station.”

5​

Two security officers jogged down a corridor. An alarm in Laboratory 2 had alerted them to suspicious activity, and they were hurrying to investigate it. A scientist met them in the middle of the corridor.

“Doctor Skysoar,” said one of the officers. “What’s the situation?”

“I’m sorry boys,” Ren said to them. “There seems to be some kind of mistake in the system. Nothing’s wrong on our end. You can go ahead and check it out for yourselves—” Ren pointed down the hall. “—but I’ve got a meeting I can’t miss. So send me a message if you find anything.” He waved at them and walked on.

“It’s always either a drill or some malfunction. By the time a real emergency rolls around, we won’t think anything of it,” said one of the officers. “Kind of defeats the point of the system, doesn’t it?” He headed toward the laboratory at a more leisurely pace. The other followed him after watching Ren walk away.

Behind them Ren Skysoar smiled and took a sip of his coffee mug. His smile faded as soon as the drink touched his tongue. He coughed, covering his mouth to keep the men from hearing it.

“Who the hell adds alcohol to their coffee?” Silvana said while the face of Ren Skysoar grimaced.

Focus, my child.

Silvana stopped. “Lord Graduon?”

That I am. Take a left here.

Silvana looked left and followed the corridor there.

You will find a door on your left that looks different from the others. It will not have any exterior handles or knobs. You will have to use a retinal scanner to gain access to that room. Mr. Skysoar’s eye should work.

Silvana found the door. She pressed her thumb against the biometric lock and looked into the scanner with one eye. The machine accepted her replicas without protest. She heard the door unlock and watched as it slid open.

She stepped inside the room and closed the door behind her. It was empty except for a single upright box that looked like the Modernists’ worst rendition of a sarcophagus. Wires and accordion vents covered its back. A single keypad sat at the center of the sarcophagus.

“Okay, what now?”

He secured her with an eight-digit code.

Silvana rolled her eyes. “And what would that be?”

Two-four-zero-two-one-nine-eight-two.

Silvana typed the code into the keypad. After typing the eighth digit, the pad rejected her input with a honk.

“No dice,” she said.

I should have expected as much. Try zero-two-two-four-one-nine-eight-two.

She typed the new code. The keypad made a happier sound and blinked green.

The sarcophagus’s duel doors swung open. Cold smoke billowed out and drifted across the steel floor. Inside stood a still figure with her arms crossed. She wore a white leotard, her blond hair had been cut short, and two demonic horns curled up from her head. Ice covered her skin.

The woman opened her eyes and exhaled a cloud of smoke. The ice on her melted. With stilted movements she uncrossed her arms and stepped out of the sarcophagus. She stared down at Silvana who was only half her height.

Silvana, allow me to introduce you to Marry Lee Walsh.

1. Why are you writing a Sonichu fan-fiction?
0Xql2WA.png

2. What is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International?
Learn about it here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

3. When will you update this?
When I stop shitting myself and decide to do something.

4. ROSECHU’S EYES AREN’T BLUE!
There are a few minor changes to the eye colors of several characters. Naitsirhc has green rather than reddish-brown eyes, and Rosechu has blue rather than green eyes. This signals an important relationship between the—

Uh, w-what are you doing with that can of mace?

Last edited: