Favorite Bands and Artists No One Has Ever Heard of -

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's something nobody has ever heard of:

Emily, one of the singers from Ladybaby (the screamy one, who joined after the cross-dressing pro wrestler left), has a new Japanese djent band.

J-djent? Jjent...?

She's also got a Soundcloud, apparently, which is averaging less than a thousand views. This one is more like trapcore, I guess...? Is that even a thing? Anyway, if you dig metal or hardcore, check it out. You could be one of the first thousand listens!

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
Do you obscure Chilean folk-doom metal? You should. Uaral (they've split up now sadly) created possibly the most depressing music ever recorded. I'm not joking. The first track of this album is just the singer crying for four minutes. So is the last track. In between is music so incredibly bleak and cold that you can feel the freezing Andean wind. You can keep your DSBM, this is *real* misery.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v5.0

Shitlord
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
The coolest band ever: Morphine.

A 90s era Boston lo-fi band consisting of drums, sax, and a bass guitar with 2 strings (when they absolutely sold out they added a 3rd string--scandalous!). They had a dark, jazzy alt rock sound with fantastic lyrics and a guy with the smokiest voice. They had 5 great albums. They were college radio and local scene darlings, but their popular culture peak was an appearance on Conan O'Brian.

They were so 90s, their lead singer dropped dead of a heart attack on stage in Italy in 1999 because the 21st Century couldn't handle them.

Despite not having a guitar, they could rock the fuck out:

Morphine is a band I never tire of. Happy or sad, I can put them on no matter what and they enhance my mood. I might go through phases of listening to this or that band or genre, but I can always listen to Morphine, and will til I die.

We might never get to 9/9/99, but maybe one day we'll find out what happened on March 4th, 1982.

HighwayStar

kiwifarms.net
The Frank & Walters - a tremendous alternative pop band from Ireland that for whatever reason never made it in the US and was barely known in the UK. Grand Parade is probably my favorite pop rock album of the 1990's - just captivating, gorgeous melodies from the first track to the last.

Intimate Secretary

Audi, vide, tace, si vis vivere in pace.
kiwifarms.net
Zeal & Ardor has been a recent love of mine, apparently they have a decent following in Europe but out in the US I've been the gateway for a lot of folks. Blues meets black metal. New singles seem to be pulling into a more metal direction. Stranger Fruit is one of the few albums I genuinely enjoy every single track on.

I like pretty much everything Pat the Bunny has been involved with, though Ramshackle Glory is probably my favorite non-solo project. Live the Dream/Die the Nightmare is solid (with DtN being him acoustically covering the original album alone). Folk punk stuff.

Jeff Rosenstock is probably my favorite musician of all time. As much as I love Bomb The Music Industry!, his solo stuff hits different. He's all over the place and I enjoy his wordplay and offkilter vocals.

Gang of Youths is an NZ project. As far as I know, their most popular song ("Achilles Come Down") made the rounds on the internet pretty widely, but the entire Go Farther in Lightness album is tremendous. Seems like some of their vids have reached millions of views but I have yet to meet anyone who talks about 'em.

BlitzFuck

kiwifarms.net
Mutilomaquia has some decent stuff as far as I know, they've got more on their bandcamp but Amaurotic is a nice enough album.
From Amaurotic, I think Patricidal Authors is rather decent.
Obsolete Beautification is for those who want the funny song experience (non-humourous), used to be my top Mutilomaquia song a while back, still kind of is. One of the shorter Mutilomaquia pieces... the album name is also for those with a touch of edge in their hearts (who names their own album "No Matter How Wet With Tears The Palms Become, All Our Hopes Will Turn Into Black Sludge"?)
Mutilomaquia also collabed with this nigga Ex Aquis on Obsolete Beautification, and this Aquisfag made Cristallisation Emotionnelle, which is also really fucking nice - tickles my brain now and again real good.
if you hate trannies, I'd also like to recommend the classic Skepta piece: Disguise (especially fitting for "transfoobek" Transformers fans)

elite_club

kiwifarms.net

I've never heard of anyone else ever talk about Oppenheimer. I saw them open for They Might Be Giants two out of the three times I went to see them in the early 2010s. Music is pretty laid back and I listened to their first album a bunch on my Zune whenever I'd have to be on a school bus.

Titos

Buried in a very very very deep grave
kiwifarms.net
the paper chase
Fuck yeah, I found them a while ago back when /mu/ actually had good sharethreads with mediafire links, after Now You Are One Of Us spooking the shit out of me I got hooked on them.

In terms of bands nobody else really knows about is Vision / Escape, really like their shit. Kinda like post punk and goth fusion.

wanddumpster

It's in the trees! It's coming!
kiwifarms.net
the fact that not a lot of people know Disco Inferno makes me want to off myself sometimes. Essentially everyone I've shown this song to has loved it. Not uber obscure but they deserve more recognition for sure.

Speaking of old /mu/ sharethreads you're a real one if you listen to Kimonos

Akashic Retard

apples and oranges have a lot of similarities
kiwifarms.net
Bibio. He's not a total unknown, and may not even qualify for this thread but for the level of talent this guy has he is talked about far too little. He deserves more recognition. His music incorporates a lot of different styles but always remains distinct to him partially because of his use of analogue synths in combination with stringed instruments I would guess. From psychedlic funk, to acoustic finger picking with English folk melodies, to flying lotus style hip bop beats, to atmospheric and ambient instrumentals, he has a huge range and it's all executed so well. I've been listening to his music for like ten years and it's still incredible to me every time.

I'll try to give some examples of my favorite songs from a range of his work and I'll put it in chronological order so you can get an idea of stylistic progression. All of these are going to sound fairly different from one another so if you don't like one you may like another.

3ncompass&stal3mat3

kiwifarms.net
Hangman's Chair (french doom metal band)

81Jo+CgeW1L._SL1200_.jpg

feedtheoctopus

kiwifarms.net
Zeal & Ardor has been a recent love of mine, apparently they have a decent following in Europe but out in the US I've been the gateway for a lot of folks. Blues meets black metal. New singles seem to be pulling into a more metal direction. Stranger Fruit is one of the few albums I genuinely enjoy every single track on.

I like pretty much everything Pat the Bunny has been involved with, though Ramshackle Glory is probably my favorite non-solo project. Live the Dream/Die the Nightmare is solid (with DtN being him acoustically covering the original album alone). Folk punk stuff.

Jeff Rosenstock is probably my favorite musician of all time. As much as I love Bomb The Music Industry!, his solo stuff hits different. He's all over the place and I enjoy his wordplay and offkilter vocals.

Gang of Youths is an NZ project. As far as I know, their most popular song ("Achilles Come Down") made the rounds on the internet pretty widely, but the entire Go Farther in Lightness album is tremendous. Seems like some of their vids have reached millions of views but I have yet to meet anyone who talks about 'em.

Jeff Rosenstock is fantastic live if you ever get the chance. I wouldn't say nobody's heard of him though, he's done the theme songs for a few TV shows (one's on cartoon network I think) and he's worked with a lot of people who are big in the indie rock scene. Thing is he's sort of a millennial Fugazi, he just refuses to do anything that could make him actually famous.

Pat The Bunny is probably the closest thing people around my age have to a Woody Guthrie type character. An obscure folky guy who's inspired an insane amount of copycats, none of whom ever came close to being as good. Difference is he was more into black flag than the carter family as a kid. I can see people really disliking a lot of his music but when he's on point its some of the most heartfelt shit I've ever heard.

I had a chance to see Ramshackle Glory once, but very stupidly decided to go to work instead. Much like Pat and the entire punk scene.