• ”Laugh all you want, but don't go off crying when this website goes down for good.”

Give user descriptors based off of rating summary

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by _01, Jun 11, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Have common courtesy. Do not directly attack other users. We're all on the same team.
  • Handle problems like an adult. Personal matters involving others (including staff) should be handled privately. Post in the Talk to Staff board, use conversations, or email us at [email protected]
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. Don't post for attention. Further the conversation in some way.
  • Don't gimmick post. Accounts taking on a gimmick personality are annoying. Please stop.
  • Don't sockpuppet. If you create a second account to avoid problems you will be banned and ridiculed. See: handling problems like an adult.
  • Do not plea for sympathy. Don't make posts about how you are leaving the forums. Just leave.
  1. I think it'd be neat if we gave user descriptors on a poster's profile based off of the amount of a specific rating they've received. That probably sounded like a word salad, but I have mockups below to better get my suggestions across. It's ultimately pointless, but it'll be a fun thing to tie in the rating system a bit more, give users a more distinct sense of individuality, and give the forum as a whole a bit more quirky charm.

On a poster's profile and on their profile pop-up, it should give a descriptor of a poster's "strengths," "weaknesses," and "quirks" based off of the top two green, red, and white ratings they've received, respectively. In an adjective-noun format, the second-most given rating forms the adjective and top most given rating forms the noun, with each rating having their own adjective and noun tied to it. Some ideas off the top of my head:

upload_2018-6-11_5-0-37.png

So, for example (and using my own received ratings), my own strengths/weaknesses/quirks would be:

Strengths:
    My most received green rating is Agree followed by Winner, so:
    Incredible Voice of Reason

Weaknesses:
    My most received red rating is Islamic Content followed by Late, so:
    Absent-Minded Poster of Peace

Quirks:
    My most received white rating is Thoughtful followed by Horrifying, so:
    Terrifying Curiosity

Here's two quick mockups showing what it could look like:

upload_2018-6-11_5-13-2.png

upload_2018-6-11_5-39-38.png

I think it'd be a cute little addition that'll entertain users, and make our rating system even more unique than it already is. The big issue, though, is some ratings will never be the most-given rating for a user, like DRINK which is tied to donators or Nice Meme! which isn't even possible anymore.

• Like  x 4
    • Autistic  x 3
    •  x 2
    • Disagree  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    #1 _01, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    _01

_01 Initialized, parameterized.

kiwifarms.is
  2. they're on the shitposting board, and play a nice voice clip when awarded to others. I love giving them out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  3. This is a great idea. The mock-ups look great too. The only real problem I can see is that some ratings are overwhelmingly more common than others; even people who have a disproportionate number of "Winner" ratings will probably have even more likes because some people (such as myself) are sort of stingy with the winners but give out likes freely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  4. That would be an issue. It could maybe be solved if certain ratings carried more weight, i.e. a "DRINK" rating is worth the same as 300 "Winner" ratings" or something, but that's adding a lot of work for an ultimately superficial system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    _01

_01 Initialized, parameterized.

kiwifarms.is
  5. What if it is a tie? My most received White Ratings are a tie between Thoughtful and Optimistic, so I don't really know how that would work out.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Canned Bread

Canned Bread Wow, they have it!

kiwifarms.is
  6. I don't know man. I'd hardly classify myself as a voice of reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    Ruin

Ruin Mercenary Slut
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  7. I wanted to shit on this idea, because I think it would lead to rating-farming, and we would see a lot more posts that are just riding off each others;

User 1 makes a post that's hugely popular, users ,2,3,4,and 5 make a similar post right after for a title.

That being said, after reading the whole OP with screenshots and all, it looks fun.

I'm on the fence between a fun idea, and what kinds of shit-posts would come with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    James Howlett

James Howlett I'm the best at what I do.

kiwifarms.is
  8. lol caring about ratings

Go fuck yourself

• Like Like x 2
    Fagnasty

Fagnasty bad person
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.