Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021: Megathread - A cozy thread for watching the supply chain fall apart just in time for the holidays

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Should the title be re-worded to expand the scope of the thread?

• The US Trucking Crisis of 2021 works fine

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • The US Logistics Crisis of 2021

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • The US Transportation Crisis of 2021

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • The US Supply Chain Crisis of 2021

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021

Votes: 206 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
This can't be blamed on mandates, this problem is 6 months in the making. Is it China tighening the noose?
Doomers and preppers where saying JustInTime supply chains where a really bad idea for years. But the smart experts all said having warehouses full of things you need was dumb. Computers and shit can overcome it all!

>So the retail stores go JIT. No more back stock rooms. Someone buys 1 coffee machine the computer system orders 1 coffee maker to replace it on the shelf.
>It works great in the store lets push JIT to the local warehouse! Things are streamlined to come in and go out the same day. No pallets of coffee makers sitting around.
>Great lets push JIT to regional distribution center! . We have zero waste! Nothing ever sits around and goes unsold when a new model comes out!
>Then JIT moves in to manufacturing. Why stock 1000's of coffee timer microchips when we can just order them on demand as orders come in?

etc etc deeper and deeper in to the supply chain.

The smart men built these massive JIT chains and we are seeing what happens when a link or 2 breaks.

The golden neckbeard

Web 1.0 Archaeologist and Professor of Goon study
kiwifarms.net
Right? All the boomers are complaining "nobody wants to work anymore." Why woukd they want to work if it just makes their lives shittier?

Its pointless. Wages ain't rising

Classic paradox. My city rents are 20% year over year every single fucking year but my wages are like some 2013 shit. I still see routinely openings for $9 or $10. Its laughable

You just get to a point where you accept your foodstamp card, your TANF check and move on with life.

Smoke weed, Play Tekken 2 and move in with mom and dad.

People will work if Wages rise or prices fall. But not the current situation as its not sustainable.

Boomers are about to get a nasty reality check...i predict the labor shortage will get many magnitudes worse before a deflationary collapse happens across the board. Its the medicine we didn't take in 2008

JustSomeDong

My own dark side lower companion...
kiwifarms.net
Spend harder on plastic made by slaves or you don't love your children.

Ya you are right. Truckers are still limited on the hours are they can drive between downtime. Any why would they want to kill themselves pushing 18 hour days? They can already name their price now and get it.

Buying chink shit with zero effort on Amazon 1click is not love. .
Maybe put some effort and real thought in and come up with a gift produced locally to you? Or make something yourself for them?

I'll go ahead and bold the relevant part for ya, and just let you guys call yourselves cunts.
Shut up fag. Maybe some of us actually want to be charitable toward people we care about by buying them thoughtful gifts, i.e. things they actually need and can make use of. Gifts are a legitimate love language for some people.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't get "buy and CONSOOM shit=love" from that. I do think the italicized part could have been phrased better, myself.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
Right? All the boomers are complaining "nobody wants to work anymore." Why woukd they want to work if it just makes their lives shittier?
The (((boomers))) solution isn't to raise your wage or making you working conditions better. Their solution is unlimited and massive illegal immigration. Build a golem population that has no status since their illegal but will work for crumbs at their starbucks and do their landscaping.
If you refuse to work your shitty job so (((they))) can live comfy then you can FOAD for all they care. They aint paying you more because they got Jose the illegal to do it for penny's on the dollar.

Actinidia

kiwifarms.net
At some point even Jose has to live somewhere, and while I've seen 9 people get out of a compact car at a construction site, the car won't even roll forward if you try to strap #10 and #11 to the roof.

It won't really be that long before Jose takes a good look around and decides that if he's going to live in a third world shithole and eat bugs, he might as well live with his friends and family somewhere pink haired junkies won't overdose on his doorstep.

Should have paid for that wall while you had the chance, Jose.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
The (((boomers))) solution isn't to raise your wage or making you working conditions better. Their solution is unlimited and massive illegal immigration. Build a golem population that has no status since their illegal but will work for crumbs at their starbucks and do their landscaping.
If you refuse to work your shitty job so (((they))) can live comfy then you can FOAD for all they care. They aint paying you more because they got Jose the illegal to do it for penny's on the dollar.

Thats not the Boomers solution

Go back to /Pol faggot. Most boomers i know are poor as fuck

The Federal Reserve wants those immigrants to keep the ponzi going not my mom and dad.

T0oCoolFool

kiwifarms.net
Local Dollar General has been out of most beer for two weeks now. Doesn't matter to me since I don't drink, but something I observed.

I went to buy some apple juice and they were out, and have been out, for weeks.

My local Walmart's shelves have been pretty sparse for weeks, but it was even worse today. Meat section looked okay, but drinks, especially juice and beer, were verrrry sparse.

Friend who works there said the empty shelves isn't all due to shortages, but due to Walmart prioritizing pickup orders and making what few staff that hasn't quit work on pickup orders only. Noticed today at Walmart that they have changed an entire row of regular parking spaces into "pickup only" spaces, which is annoying since the parking here is usually packed on a good day. So, looks like friend is right, and Walmart is focusing all their efforts on pickup orders.

Sonic still out of chicken sliders :'(

Noticed a new hiring billboard and mini hiring signs near me. It's a job fair event, promising jobs that offer $15 to $25 an hour. The event also promised free lunch to all who attend. Clearly, companies are getting more desperate for workers.

I live in the South, for reference.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
It won't really be that long before Jose takes a good look around and decides that if he's going to live in a third world shithole and eat bugs, he might as well live with his friends and family somewhere pink haired junkies won't overdose on his doorstep.

Should have paid for that wall while you had the chance, Jose.
See thats why they have opened the flood gates. Jose's who jumped the fence in 1989 has his green card now and his kids have status since they are legal. Those kids wont work for shit pay and in crap conditions.
So they need massive amounts of fresh meat. New Jose's to build up the golem class.

But back on topic:
On Monday, more than 90% of the workers spanning 14 plants across the U.S. rejected Deere's offer, which would have boosted pay 5% for some workers and 6% for others along with bolstering retirement benefits for existing employees.

Several Deere & Co. employees out of Iowa told the Des Moines Register that their managers told them not to report for their shifts on Wednesday. The agricultural equipment manufacturer based out of Moline, Illinois, hasn't seen a workers' strike for 35 years. But with labor shortages across the country and Deere raking in record profits, workers feel now is the time to hold their ground and ask for more.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
I had a thought.

People are already cranky because of the nonsense of the past couple years.

People are quitting/getting fired from jobs.

No signs of any more stimulus money in the near future.

Shortages of products, no matter the cause, is going to mean that people can't get their comfort foods/items.

I'm no oracle but I'll bet the crime rate is going to be interesting soon.

Think I'll go watch some episodes of Hoarders to wash out the fear of there not being enough goods to go around.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
See thats why they have opened the flood gates. Jose's who jumped the fence in 1989 has his green card now and his kids have status since they are legal. Those kids wont work for shit pay and in crap conditions.
So they need massive amounts of fresh meat. New Jose's to build up the golem class.

But back on topic:

And they are right

Record profits warrant a raise and now is the time

contradiction of terns

Autistic Pumpkin Bird
kiwifarms.net
The labor shortage i completely understand.
Vax mandates, retiring Boomers, women unable to get affordable childcare, and social safety net $$$ allowing lazy people to not work are the primary items driving the labor shortage, but you'll notice even that doesn't have a single exclusive cause.

TLDR answer is there is no one thing that can be blamed for the shortages and supply chain issues. If you want to fully understand it you probably should skim the thread. 38 pages isn't bad for Kiwi Farms.

Since this IS the most-asked question in the thread I will go over a few of the points you'd get from a full read.

The supply chain crumbling largely started with everything being shut down for COVID. It's difficult to spool back up on manufacturing, and lots of places shuttered or took longer to get back to production. Most of the world's goods used to made in China, and China is unable to produce a lot of the materials they need to make those goods themselves.

Currently China can't keep the factories open because they can't keep the lights on, but there's also the issue a lot of other Kiwis have talked about where raw materials are sourced in one country, then shipped around the world for processing into goods. Did you know most of China's livestock feed comes (came?) from California, for instance? It was a big deal a few years ago because alfalfa is such a water intensive crop that it was considered 'exporting water to China' while California was in a water shortage.

Finally, the primary global business model since the 80s has been to keep as little stock as possible to eek out a few more pennies, so the very way the supply chain has been structured is also now working against it.

I strongly encourage any other Kiwis who aren't tired of talking about the underpinnings of what's going on to chime in as well.

Some people ITT seem interested in taking up food gardening, but knowing KF demographics, may not have a lot of space and/or are unsure of where to start. Would anyone be interested in a long-ass garden post? I'd be happy to sperg and provide resources, but a quality post will take some time so I'd want to gauge interest first. Like if interested (or negrate if you're an urbanite bugman addicted to doordash).

Here's how I'm gonna split this baby.

Long rants about gardening go to The Gardening Thread.

Intensive explanations of how to prep goes to the General Prepper Sperging Thread.

Both of these will be linked in the OP as well so everyone can find them easily. They'll be at the bottom.

If you have quick-and-dirty advice on prepping or gardening or whatever like "The higher the sugar content in your preservatives the longer they stay good" or "You can keep chicken eggs that haven't been washed for up to six months unrefrigerated by coating them in mineral oil" then it can stay in this thread. I'm not sending people elsewhere to post a single fucking sentence.

Book recommendations stay here too. I'm checking for titles I don't have and want to pick up.

It's not that I think you're incorrect. I'm more curious why I haven't seen anything of the sort. I'll stop by the Brenham HEB today and see how things stand. It's between Austin and Houston, but I don't think it's right to call Brenham a "major city."

I was at a little podunk grocery store in a 1k person town much closer to my home Sunday, and there weren't empty shelves or suspiciously wide spaces.

I'm curious what HEB you were at that's desolated, but I understand if you don't want to tell us where to stalk you.

I'll do anything for love, but I won't tell people on Kiwi Farms where I live. lol.

How about this; I travel around a lot. I've seen a few cleaned out gas stations on the roads between Austin and Lampasas, as well as between Austin and Houston. Hell, I actually entered a couple of small gas stations in Houston proper that had some bare shelf space. I wish I could make better recommendations on how to find places with empty shelves, but all I can do is relate my tale of two gas stations.

If I go towards one major road I pass a Texaco. If I go the other main route I use, then I pass a Shell.

The Texaco constantly rotates out employees, primarily hispanic, and that's where I got some of my empty shelf pics. They're nice people and it's a decent place, but nobody there really cares about whether the shelves get filled. It's not any of the employees' livelihood, if you know what I'm saying. Sure, they show up, clock in, work, clock out, and get paid, but none of the Texaco crew are invested in what happens to it.

Contrast with the Shell station. It's run by, I swear to God, the real life incarnation of Apu from the Simpsons. Great guy. Will talk to each customer that comes in, remembers everyone, and will even offer to get you special orders if you give him some time. It's like, him and maybe two other workers (I suspect they're family) and they've been there for years. These people CARE about this Shell station, and honestly, if I was a delivery driver and both of these gas stations contacted me, I would deliver to Apu because he gets to know everyone personally and is a nice guy.

Some of the difference may just be what stores you go to and who owns them as much as where they are. I do hope this helps even though I rather appreciate the irony of having two disparate experiences in the same state. God bless Texas.

Absolutely correct. Fresh eggs, (meaning eggs that haven’t had the bloom washed off of them like the egg farms in the US do before shipping them to grocery stores), can last up to 30 days sitting out on the countertop in the kitchen, and a LOT longer than that in waterglass. Hadnt heard about wood ash but I’ll look into that, thanks.

Fresh eggs with the antimicrobial bloom still on them can be kept for up to 6 months by rubbing them in mineral oil to bolster the bloom coating. Here is an article for everyone who isn't Lorne and doesn't know cool chicken facts. You're welcome to read it too, Lorne, but it doesn't sound like you need it.

I've got a copy of a book from the mid 1600's called "Instruction and Hints for Young Officers" and it mentions it as well in relation to setting up over winter camps and how it's also suited for transporting eggs while on campaign if you are able to keep them in sealed casks along with layers of fresh clean straw.

Really interesting read as it covers a few other food preservation methods and foods like Pocket Soup.

Pleeeaaasssse get the author. I need desperately to know if this is the book by General Wolfe because I found one for a price that doesn't make my eyes water.

They can run all the hours they want but that backlog is still massive and the workers will start to tell their bosses to go fuck themselves.

This has gotten entirely too long and autistic, but you and the other guy who said something similar are both 1000% correct. The government is going to attempt to treat these civilian dock workers like they're military personnel, who can be worked all but 4 hours a day (Daddy Gov is legally required to give you 4 hours of sleep, but they don't have to be consecutive) and given 3 MREs and they'll suck it up and work like dogs because the alternative is go to the brig.

There's no jailing civilians. They're allowed to quit. Daddy G is going to be reminded of this in the most painful way possible if the Biden Admin. tries to turn the (usually unionized) dock workers into their field niggers.

Last edited:

contradiction of terns

Autistic Pumpkin Bird
kiwifarms.net
AND another thought I had -

How are people just able to quit their jobs? I know some have enough savings to live off of for a while, but is it really a thing that this many are able to do?

They've been telling us (in the US) for the last two decades that the Boomers retiring will tank the economy. A lot of the missing workers have retired, which means they're just chilling at home blissfully ignorant of what's coming down the pipes for them.

At least 1.5 million of the missing works in the US are women who've stayed at home, because the sad truth is that most women hold a job just to pay for childcare. Households with a man as primary earner and a woman handling the house and kids used to be how things were done, and it actually requires real resources to go against that grain even now.

Beyond that... well, anyone getting fired for not getting the jab probably has several months on unemployment coming to them. Not to mention there's ways to get other benefits too, as well as ways to work under the table or for yourself.

BIG BILL HELL'S

SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY ASS!
kiwifarms.net
as well as ways to work under the table or for yourself.
I didn't really think about it until I saw this, but I haven't heard anyone talking about the shadow economy, or working side jobs, or working cash jobs.

Normally, I'd be hearing about that all the time from people that I know. Now? Nothing. It's weird.