Guitar and Bass Discussion - Sperg about players that inspire you, gear, share your experiences, etc.

Bad Gateway

[shitposting angrily]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe this is a hot take but the only time NAMM has been useful is in the one of out every 30 "THIS YEAR AT NAMM" videos from six years ago that have clean tones for guitars that were brand new back then.

I believe I have a solution for Gibson-based GAS. From the God of youtube, a channel I think I learned about from this thread? Twoodford, guitar asmr for your worthless bitch ass who can't even be a master luthier and do an insane job like this, a binding repair job on a Gibson:

Okay, okay, it's an extraordinary repair job that few people in the world could or would bother to do, and it wasn't even the hardest version of a fix for this problem. BUT. Increasingly I'm beginning to really get that there are only two kinds of Gibsons on the face of the planet:
1) Gibsons that have headstock breaks, binding cracks, fret end issues, and neck pocket cracking.
2) Gibsons that haven't been played or traveled enough to develop ALL of these issues yet.

Regardless of how much money you spend, or what country the shit was made in, or what super limited edition Lester Polsfuss Black Label Private Stock Reserve Double Donkey Cock 15 Year Extra Sharp Edition Gibson you buy, you either play it enough to experience all of these problems and pay to get them repaired, or you just leave it in its case and play the whatever you bought to actually use. What's that thing modern economists talk about where buying cheaper shit is way more expensive in the long run? It's the opposite of that. Buying more expensive Gibson shit is ALSO catastrophically more expensive in the long run.

Did it work? Is that enough?

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net
a binding repair job on a Gibson
I swear gibson does the fret nib binding just to bait collector types to buy new as much as possible, they basically guarantee a used/played instrument will have issues, even though a fender could have a whole ass refret job and look no different from new. Same way that ric lacquers over the frets insuring that if you want collectors grade it has to've never been played.

Now the headstock snap issue is a catch 22, if they put a volute or change the angle the spergs chimp out because it isn't some flavor of 50's spec, and they have tried several iterations of solutions through the years and none caught on. Maybe the silverburst gold rush will give buyers an appreciation for that feature.

My main issue is with the relicing on higher end gibsons looking like shit, gouging the finish with razor blades, like guys, your nitro mixture is shit, all you need to do to get authentic checking on a gibson is open the doors to the factory during the winter and everything will spiderweb realistically, boom done.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I swear gibson does the fret nib binding just to bait collector types to buy new as much as possible, they basically guarantee a used/played instrument will have issues, even though a fender could have a whole ass refret job and look no different from new. Same way that ric lacquers over the frets insuring that if you want collectors grade it has to've never been played.

Now the headstock snap issue is a catch 22, if they put a volute or change the angle the spergs chimp out because it isn't some flavor of 50's spec, and they have tried several iterations of solutions through the years and none caught on. Maybe the silverburst gold rush will give buyers an appreciation for that feature.

My main issue is with the relicing on higher end gibsons looking like shit, gouging the finish with razor blades, like guys, your nitro mixture is shit, all you need to do to get authentic checking on a gibson is open the doors to the factory during the winter and everything will spiderweb realistically, boom done.
>Tool fans playing guitar

Sorry just taking an easy shot. I like Tool too. *LIKE* being the word. I own 2 or 3 albums, never been to their concert, hate Maynard's personality and his wine hobby.
Adam Jones is the quintessential rock guitarist, imho. Underappreciated, mostly unknown (until recently), yet forged the musical backbone of Tool (ignore what Maynard says).
I do agree that Tool fanatics are the worst.

So, together we found the inherent wisdom behind the relic'ing phenom. Murphy Labs/Fender Custom will fuck your guitar first, add a premium, and allow you to enjoy/play a collector-grade guitar. You can later resell it at a collector price. Wow.

How much does Murphy Labs charge for head -cracking?

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net
How much does Murphy Labs charge for head -cracking?
We kid, but if any famous gibson has a neck repair and gets a crazy re-creation we'll find that very thing out. I'm sure with how lazy they've been with their other relics that they'll just dig the razor in deeper and score the wood too instead of just the paint.

Hooky

kiwifarms.net
I just wanna buy a used Clone Theory and crack it open to try to mod it for Hook's tone so badly :'(. If you can't tell from my setup I like both doom and new wave, and getting up on the D and G when people will let me pretend to lead. It's why there are guitar pedals in my horde; I fucked around on a knockoff Les Paul before I decided "fuck chords" and got a 5-string. I need to know what's different about his Clone that makes New Order so perfect.
Making an account just to chime in on this, I had an account at one point but I can't recall the damn password or even the username to save my life. I'm a massive New Order/Joy Division nut and I like to pass the knowledge on.

Hooky doesn't mod his Clone Theories, or at least not in a way that affects the tone. He did say in one of his memoirs IIRC that when he and Barney visited the guy that imported them into the UK he showed them how to mod them to make the effect more intense, but to my knowledge this isn't something he does to his pedals. I think he currently owns 12-16 Clone Theories in various states of functionality and who knows how many ones he's used over the years. The vintage Clones are all ever so slightly different in terms of sound but at the end of the day they all acomplish the same tone. All the ones I have ever had (currently have two) all nail that Hooky sound. The reissue Clone Theories are similar but definitely not as spot on as the vintage clones so if you are a diehard for that tone you want those ones, but they aren't cheap these days, going rate is anywhere from $200-400 on the used market.

Another key part of the New Order bass tone is the bass itself, the Yamaha BB1200S, the preamp in that bass is half of the sound in my opinion. It didn't get used until around the Low-Life era but it's on everything Low-Life and on (except for the tracks where he used his Shergold Marathon 6 instead). In a nutshell the New Order bass tone is the BB1200/BB1200S/Shergold Marathon 6 running through a vintage Clone Theory with 80ms delay. The bass itself I suppose isn't as important, you can get close enough with just the Clone and the delay.

Last edited:

Child Smacker

I smack children
kiwifarms.net
Need amp suggestions/just kinda wanna talk about amps.

What amps are you guys rockin? Tell me about em, I wanna hear.

I've been using a Fender Mustang III modelling amp since I was a teenager. It's light, loud, and sounds pretty good for the price, but it reacts kinda weirdly to external pedals sometimes (which it wasn't really designed for since it has loads of onboard effects). I think I'm ready to invest in a 'proper' amp, whether that be tube or solid state, I'm open to anything. Really I'm just looking for something with nice cleans (always been a fan of those fendery cleans) that'll take pedals nicely, I'm usually just running a compressor, a big muff-style thing, and a delay pedal. Mostly been looking at combo amps in the interest of gigging portability, bonus points if it's light, I'm a total weakling.

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net

I've been using a Fender Mustang III modelling amp since I was a teenager. It's light, loud, and sounds pretty good for the price, but it reacts kinda weirdly to external pedals sometimes (which it wasn't really designed for since it has loads of onboard effects). I think I'm ready to invest in a 'proper' amp, whether that be tube or solid state, I'm open to anything. Really I'm just looking for something with nice cleans (always been a fan of those fendery cleans) that'll take pedals nicely, I'm usually just running a compressor, a big muff-style thing, and a delay pedal. Mostly been looking at combo amps in the interest of gigging portability, bonus points if it's light, I'm a total weakling.
if you can swing the price of the new fender modeler amps, they are super light clones of the orginals but with built in attenuation and cab sims

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I recommend the Blues Jr, a Boss katana, or a peavey classic 30.

Jr. is a small tube that does cleans and works well with pedals. Can mod shit if you are into soldering (don't touch the caps plz).

classic 30 is a crunch sound (edge of break-up, but can do some cleans.) and is also tubes. think Vox tones.

katana is solid state and cheapest here. it can do whatever u need pretty well but cleans are < jr and crunch < peavey. this one also is super solid if you like modeling, plugging into your PC and shit.

I recommend the classic 30 here the most, but its also the most money. If you can't swing any of these, look used.

Robert w'E'd Leef

It is well that war is so terrible
kiwifarms.net
I thought the Summer NAMM was mega disappointing this year. And it's ridiculous that Fender wants over a grand for that stupid Jagstang reissue. They should have released it as a Squier IMO. That said, I'm sure that thing is going to sell like crazy.

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought the Summer NAMM was mega disappointing this year. And it's ridiculous that Fender wants over a grand for that stupid Jagstang reissue. They should have released it as a Squier IMO. That said, I'm sure that thing is going to sell like crazy.
NAMM is dead, creepy eggman Phil McKnight made a good video about it last year.

As a big Nirvana fan, as much as I like that jag-stang, what aspect of it would make me choose it over the Cobain Jag? the price is almost the same except the Jag has better specs, way better pick-ups, has the Cobain Neckplate + picture book, AND a hard case. It's like a $100 difference. Some bean-counter must of missed this.

Robert w'E'd Leef

It is well that war is so terrible
kiwifarms.net

As a big Nirvana fan, as much as I like that jag-stang, what aspect of it would make me choose it over the Cobain Jag? the price is almost the same except the Jag has better specs, way better pick-ups, has the Cobain Neckplate + picture book, AND a hard case. It's like a $100 difference. Some bean-counter must of missed this.
I've always wanted a jagstang, but I absolutely hate being ripped off, so I wont be buying one. Fender fucking sucks lately, Squier is the more interesting guitar brand these days it seems like

edit: also that Maverick reissue they released with the dumb gretsch pickups and the bigsby for $2000 made me want to scream in frustration

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net

I'm glad Phil's stomach-band is still holding. He'll soon break that as easily as Amber breaks Ikea chairs.
That mf is disturbing to look at. I wouldn't be surprised at an incoming pedo rape charge.

Overpriced 90s (and now 70s) guitars are all the rage. Nothing more punk rock than dropping $THOUSANDS$ on a jag-stang, Tom DeLonge, or Joe Strummer custom shop Esquire. Now that's what I call... punk rock.
(actually, it really does fit with today's antifa trust-fund babies)

BTW: I am currently designing a signature strat for GG Allin. I'm hoping to get ~ $35,000. Pre-orders will be taken at my Nigerian LLC.

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm glad Phil's stomach-band is still holding. He'll soon break that as easily as Amber breaks Ikea chairs.
That mf is disturbing to look at. I wouldn't be surprised at an incoming pedo rape charge.

Overpriced 90s (and now 70s) guitars are all the rage. Nothing more punk rock than dropping $THOUSANDS$ on a jag-stang, Tom DeLonge, or Joe Strummer custom shop Esquire. Now that's what I call... punk rock.
(actually, it really does fit with today's antifa trust-fund babies)

BTW: I am currently designing a signature strat for GG Allin. I'm hoping to get ~ $35,000. Pre-orders will be taken at my Nigerian LLC.
The Joe Strummer one made me laugh. Still waiting for my R.O.C. punk to be revived, its about fuckin' time for alt-right punk rock.

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net
d9609f6918c2257df6b28370b6ed39e1(1).jpg

Hooky

kiwifarms.net

The Jag-Stang wasn't even that good of a guitar in my opinion, Cobain himself supposedly didn't even like it and planned on having Fender make changes but that never happened for obvious reasons. The body is an awkward uncomfortable shape, the pickups are shitty for what you are paying and most people swap them out, it's just a mess of a guitar, I know some people love them but there was a reason they were fairly cheap on the second hand market for such a long time. The Jaguar on the other hand, the only thing I'm not crazy about there is the tune-o-matic bridge, makes the vibrato unit useless and the radius mismatch with the neck sucks, but it is accurate to Kurt's Jag to have one.

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Jag-Stang wasn't even that good of a guitar in my opinion, Cobain himself supposedly didn't even like it and planned on having Fender make changes but that never happened for obvious reasons. The body is an awkward uncomfortable shape, the pickups are shitty for what you are paying and most people swap them out, it's just a mess of a guitar, I know some people love them but there was a reason they were fairly cheap on the second hand market for such a long time. The Jaguar on the other hand, the only thing I'm not crazy about there is the tune-o-matic bridge, makes the vibrato unit useless and the radius mismatch with the neck sucks, but it is accurate to Kurt's Jag to have one.
Fender very carefully avoidS giving details, How does the "adjusto-matic" fuck shit up? is it designed for a 12" radius, and especially how does it fuck up the Vibrato unit?

All this talk is re-kindling my GAS for a Cobain Jag.

Hooky

kiwifarms.net
Fender very carefully avoidS giving details, How does the "adjusto-matic" fuck shit up? is it designed for a 12" radius, and especially how does it fuck up the Vibrato unit?

All this talk is re-kindling my GAS for a Cobain Jag.
Well, the tune-o-matic/adjust-o-matic bridge radius is 12"-16" IIRC, whereas the fretboard of the Cobain Jaguar is 9.5", meaning that the E strings will be higher off of the fretboard than the D and G strings. It's not a huge issue for some people but I personally cannot stand that. Fender claims to use an adjust o matic with a 10.5" radius which isn't a huge mismatch and is perfectly servicable, but people have measured various bridges that came on Fender guitars and found that not to be the case.

As far as the vibrato system goes, basically the Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato system was designed to have a rocking bridge, and the pressure of the strings on the saddles would move the bridge forward towards the neck when you press the arm down and move it back towards the vibrato unit when you press the arm up. In theory (and in practice if setup properly) this ensures that the guitar stays in tune even with relatively heavy vibrato usage. The Mustang vibrato system follows the same concept despite being an otherwise completely different design. With a tune-o-matic bridge, the whole bridge is locked into place so the strings are forced to glide over the saddles, which normally wouldn't be too big of an issue, lots of people tape the posts of regular JM/Jag bridges to stop the bridge from rocking and can still get away with lots of tremolo usage. However with the saddles on the tom being a knife edge instead of something like a roller bridge or a rounded saddle, the tuning stability gets pretty spotty.

Granted, it's a nonissue if you don't use the vibrato (like Cobain) and can get over the radius mismatch, but I personally like to use the vibrato system from time to time, I can get pretty aggressive with it and it stays in tune for the most part unless I do some really extreme divebombs. The tune-o-matic was a popular replacement bridge in the 70s-90s because it was available and relatively cheap. Nowadays if you hate the old threaded style JM/Jag bridges you have plenty of options to choose from that don't compromise the guitar design, like a regular mustang bridge (if you have a 7.25" radius fretboard, though there are some 9.5" Mustang bridges too), Staytrem bridges, Mastery bridges, etc.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Truf.
Cobain hated the Jag-Stang. Nirvana's best shit was done on his 'graffitti' strat.

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, the tune-o-matic/adjust-o-matic bridge radius is 12"-16" IIRC, whereas the fretboard of the Cobain Jaguar is 9.5", meaning that the E strings will be higher off of the fretboard than the D and G strings. It's not a huge issue for some people but I personally cannot stand that. Fender claims to use an adjust o matic with a 10.5" radius which isn't a huge mismatch and is perfectly servicable, but people have measured various bridges that came on Fender guitars and found that not to be the case.

As far as the vibrato system goes, basically the Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato system was designed to have a rocking bridge, and the pressure of the strings on the saddles would move the bridge forward towards the neck when you press the arm down and move it back towards the vibrato unit when you press the arm up. In theory (and in practice if setup properly) this ensures that the guitar stays in tune even with relatively heavy vibrato usage. The Mustang vibrato system follows the same concept despite being an otherwise completely different design. With a tune-o-matic bridge, the whole bridge is locked into place so the strings are forced to glide over the saddles, which normally wouldn't be too big of an issue, lots of people tape the posts of regular JM/Jag bridges to stop the bridge from rocking and can still get away with lots of tremolo usage. However with the saddles on the tom being a knife edge instead of something like a roller bridge or a rounded saddle, the tuning stability gets pretty spotty.

Granted, it's a nonissue if you don't use the vibrato (like Cobain) and can get over the radius mismatch, but I personally like to use the vibrato system from time to time, I can get pretty aggressive with it and it stays in tune for the most part unless I do some really extreme divebombs. The tune-o-matic was a popular replacement bridge in the 70s-90s because it was available and relatively cheap. Nowadays if you hate the old threaded style JM/Jag bridges you have plenty of options to choose from that don't compromise the guitar design, like a regular mustang bridge (if you have a 7.25" radius fretboard, though there are some 9.5" Mustang bridges too), Staytrem bridges, Mastery bridges, etc.
Damn, I am conflicted cuz I love Fender offsets, but I play wrong-handed, so the cobain is my only option. I consider getting it and putting a diagonal jag single in the neck pu, but I would want the Vibrato. In reality, a Mustang Bridge is moreso what I would want (would just settle for a Mustang too), but that sounds like a lot of work.
I really do like the look and controls of the cobain jag, but I would need it to do some cleans/surf too to justify it.