Harry Potter Tumblr-verse Drama - Dumbledore is gay, quit oppressing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shadow

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
kiwifarms.net
Any time I read about "representation" it goes one of two ways: "Group X is not being represented!" or "Group X is being represented WRONG!". Make your own fucking movies or stop complaining because obviously there's no way for anyone to do it the way you want it to. If you can't fund it and find a cast and crew that's not everyone else's problem.

Represent yourself.

Last edited:

Doug_Hitzel

A healthy, young man
kiwifarms.net
I’m sperging here, but didn’t Grindelwald kill Dumbledore’s sister or drove her insane? Also, when those two were teenagers it was the 1800’s. I wonder how that could possibly connect with the fact that Dumbledore’s sexuality isn’t going to be outwardly shown.
There is no logic, only magic.

B6C13A87-8676-44EB-86CF-1997321A1FEA.jpeg

The Shadow

kiwifarms.net
I’m sperging here, but didn’t Grindelwald kill Dumbledore’s sister or drove her insane? Also, when those two were teenagers it was the 1800’s. I wonder how that could possibly connect with the fact that Dumbledore’s sexuality isn’t going to be outwardly shown.
If they manage to work something like the Cleveland Street scandal into a dumb Harry Potter movie, then I would give them a lot of credit for having balls, I guess.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net

Dumledore's sister was attacked by a group of muggle boys, which caused her to have uncontrollable outburst with disastrous results. Grindelwald, who is basically Hitler with magic! Respected Dumbledore's magical talent and knowledge but didn't return affection. So when Dumbledore was about to leave with magic Hitler, Dumbledore's goat loving brother confronted them and a duel (fight) broke other, where Dumbledore's sister was accidentally killed, and Grindelwald left town basically. This is were Dumbledore becomes more "asexual" because of his "love" for Grindelwald was the reason his own sister was now dead. :heart-empty:

Graffiti canvas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
However due to Rowling's hatred of female Qudditch captains...
I quit reading right there. It's a fantasy children's book taking place in a make believe world where nothing is real, logical or even remotely possible. It's not a fucking platform for gender equality.

Quit injecting your real world social commentary into fantasy children's books and the world will be a much better place. That's what started this thread in the first place.

Last edited:

Spellskite

kiwifarms.net
>People bitching about how a complex relationship isn't fully shown in movie 2 out of 5

Wow, it's almost like the writers are probably trying to slowly build up characterization and inter-personal relationships so they come off as realistic instead of forced. Maybe people should wait to bring out the pitch forks until the fifth movie.

Also, I was never really a Harry Potter fan so I could be wrong, but I thought romance was pretty subdued in the series. Sure, romantic relationships did get attention (Ron x Hermione being the most prominent example), but compared to the main plot they seem unimportant. If anything, the series puts way more focus on platonic love.
In the movies, sure. But the romantic angst was nonstop in book 5, which I think probably resonated with a lot of these shippers since it seemed like everyone was into everyone. The movies were a different beast entirely and they simply had to condense and crunch content to fit all the content on screen.

Troutsmacked

kiwifarms.net
I grew up reading the books, and I don't even remember who the hell Grindelwald is supposed to be.
That's because the only mentions of him were like one sentence on the back of some card in the first book, and a scene in the last book detailing how Dumbledore's sister died. If I recall correctly he's never even mentioned in any of the Harry Potter films, but it's been years since I watched any of them so maybe I'm forgetting. Either way if he was it was extremely brief and of little importance.

So yeah, on top of how stupid this controversy is, it's all over an extremely minor character that damn near no one would have remembered if not for these Fantastic Beasts movies. It's not as if he's some beloved main character everyone grew to know and come acquainted with reading the books.

A Beached Whale

A Whale of a Tale
kiwifarms.net
Dumledore's sister was attacked by a group of muggle boys, which caused her to have uncontrollable outburst with disastrous results. Grindelwald, who is basically Hitler with magic! Respected Dumbledore's magical talent and knowledge but didn't return affection. So when Dumbledore was about to leave with magic Hitler, Dumbledore's goat loving brother confronted them and a duel (fight) broke other, where Dumbledore's sister was accidentally killed, and Grindelwald left town basically. This is were Dumbledore becomes more "asexual" because of his "love" for Grindelwald was the reason his own sister was now dead. :heart-empty:
This is exactly why I don't get this fucking outrage from tard fans. They were never a couple. Grindlewald didn't have feelings for Dumbledore at best, and used him as a pawn at worst.

DICKPICSRUS

Your local mermaid fucker
kiwifarms.net
1800’s. I wonder how that could possibly connect with the fact that Dumbledore’s sexuality isn’t going to be outwardly shown.

In the victorian times gay men did exist but those kinds of relationships were kept underground . Gay men or "inverts" were believed to wear a green carnations to signal their sexuality to other gay men.

https://www.oscarwildetours.com/about-our-symbol-the-green-carnation/

http://www.historyextra.com/period/...urprisingly-liberal-attitude-towards-gay-men/

Spellskite

kiwifarms.net
This is exactly why I don't get this fucking outrage from tard fans. They were never a couple. Grindlewald didn't have feelings for Dumbledore at best, and used him as a pawn at worst.
The implication from Rowling is that Dumbledore had feelings for him. Whether or not they were reciprocated is the more nebulous thing.

It seems really bizarre if they're going to have 5 movies that involve their relationship (and the not-so-subtle subtext of YOU SHOULDN'T BE ASHAMED OF WHO YOU ARE which was present in the first movie) and not at least acknowledge that Dumbledore had feelings for the guy. Because otherwise, that would mean Rowling was just being a limousine liberal trying to get progressive brownie points for doing nothing, and that definitely can't be the case!

The Shadow

kiwifarms.net
The world is in a sorry state when a blogger has to explain a common idiom to a bunch of people who are apparently fans of books.
Being fans of Harry Potter books doesn't really imply the person is well read any more than liking Marvel movies implies you have a deep knowledge and love of cinema, though.

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But I thought Sense8 represented all that they wanted in media: created by trans women, prominent trans character, other LGB central characters, a ton of sex, etc.
It's almost like their primary goal is expressing outrage for attention and validation, and any coherent end goal for media representation is a distant second, if that.

omori

go the fuck to sleep
kiwifarms.net
To that I'm gonna say the same thing I said ten years ago: "It's got nothing to do with the plot, who cares?"

Dumbledore's brother fucked a goat, right? Aren't they going to show/acknowledge the goat fucking as well? Gotta appease the Islamic zoophile crowd, too.
lmao I forgot about that.

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
IIRC, it first came out that Dumbledore was gay when a scriptwriter put a line where Dumbledore made a small mention of a girl he used to know, that he had a slight crush on, or something like that. Rowling told the guy that no, she always thought of Dumbledore as gay. And then it leaked out, and people lost their shit.

I have to defend Rowling -- she actually has gotten a LOT of shit from the SJW crowd about her descriptions of magic in the U.S. Apparently many were offended by her incorporating Native American mythology into her stories. (Even though she's done the same with pretty much every other culture in the world). Of course, these same people would most likely bitch if she DIDN'T include it, and say she was ignoring Native Americans.

You can't win with these dumbasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.