Healthy Sleep General - Groundbreaking study from John Hopkins finds sleep is good

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net

For the past few weeks I've desperately been trying various 'self improvement' methods to deal with a noticeable decline in concentration and work performance I'm suffering from. The TL;DR of it all is that poor sleep seems to be the main factor contributing to it. The "obvious solution" would be "lmao just go to bed earlier bro", and that's true but it's easier said than done for most people. When you get tired, you have reduced judgement, so snappy and responsible decisions become harder to make.

I wanted to list some observations, quirks and oddities that I personally struggle with, and I wanted to know if others experienced these same things in the same way. The covid lockdowns over the past year have hit me hard, and I think elevated anxiety has certainly contributed to my screwed up schedule, but that's a much larger demon that I'm not sure I can fix.

• As it gets later into the night, if I'm working or messing around online, there's a tendency to lose track of time much easier than in the middle of the day. Two or three hours can easily slip by and it feels like 30 minutes. It doesn't help that as I get tired, my judgement reduces so it's harder to 'check myself' even if I set a timer.

• We're all familiar with going to bed earlier being more difficult due to your circadian rhythm, but I find there's an additional problem with me needing to fulfill a "ritual" of some sort before bed. For instance, no matter if I'm sticking with my schedule or not, if I don't talk to my friends before bed I find I have a much harder time sleeping. This further complicates the above point because if I get into a conversation, I don't just want to drop it, but at the same time that's when I'm in the 'danger zone' of hours flying by.

• This is less 'sleep' related per-say, but I have fairly severe problems getting out of bed in the morning. If I have my phone by me, I dick around on my phone in a zombie like state with reduced judgement for an hour. If I don't have my phone by me, I sit there and contemplate getting out of bed for an hour in a zombie state but don't actually do it. If I put my alarm clock across the room, I get up in a zombie state, turn it off, then go back to bed in said zombie state. This is definitely some kind of willpower issue but it's like I'm still half dreaming and I'm not sure what to do beyond getting shocked with a taser.

Do you suffer from stuff like this? What stupid tricks have you done to overcome them, if you have? I'd prefer to not make this about chemical assistance such as melatonin or klonopin. I'd rather stick to methodical ways of fixing the issues if possible. However, if you did have to use a chemical to solve your sleep issues, that's worth a mention as well.

Last edited:

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
Trying and failing to stick to a rigid schedule of "go to sleep lmao" might increase your anxiety even more. Get yourself checked for sleep apnea even if you aren't a fat fuck. Stop "messing around online".

I have a dram of whisk(e)y on every weekday before going to sleep, if you count that as a chemical. Other sleep aids include having a decent bed, turning down heating a bit, and having jazz play while I sleep. However, you definitely seem to have a circadian rhythm issue.

albert macdonald chan

Novice computer programmer and Norm Macdonald fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always like to think that 7 to 8 hours of sleep for adults ages 25-64 was the ideal to at least remain stable and healthy. Sometimes, even 6 1/2 hours of sleep can be OK, as long as you don’t overload on sweets or have strong excessive exercise that can disrupt your sleep.

oldTireWater

Incompetent as fuck
kiwifarms.net
if I don't talk to my friends before bed I find I have a much harder time sleeping.
I get the pre-bed ritual, but this sounds like one you need to try and change. If someone else is part of the "ritual", then you give up a lot of control.

I dick around on my phone in a zombie like state with reduced judgement for an hour.
Good lord. What can I say? Have you considered NOT being a millennial?

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
Being able to get steady sleep was always a pretty difficult for me until I spoke to my doctor during a check-up. Getting a fairly gentle medication for it was a big help for me, another was using f.lux on my PC to hit me with less blue light towards the latter half of my "day" which has not only made my eyes feel notably better but I think has aided in it. I never take a phone to bed as I just don't care for smart phones, but I know it keeps you awake by keeping your brain engaged and your eyes strained.

Also strong seconding @Boris Blank's glass eye on both considering a check for sleep apnea and not getting too strict with sleep. Trying to make a huge change to your sleep schedule is like a hard-turn on a ship's wheel, you may change course but your body and mind will be reeling from it. Do your best to not get too tight with when you do or do not sleep, just try to be more mindful of when you are edging towards being tired. Even if it's just an hour or two earlier than before it's an improvement. Success on that will naturally vary due to level of broke-brain.

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
I get the pre-bed ritual, but this sounds like one you need to try and change. If someone else is part of the "ritual", then you give up a lot of control.
I get that, though it's a challenge because these days I don't have any other free time to contact them. I can't just self isolate forever. Maybe reworking the afternoon schedule is in order, or trying to shift my schedule so that spending time with them doesn't eat into my sleep start time. I didn't want to do that, but unless I force them to change their schedules (not happening) I don't think I have much choice.

Good lord. What can I say? Have you considered NOT being a millennial?
Believe me, I'm not proud of it. However the phone itself seems to be less of a problem than just getting out of bed in general.

Being able to get steady sleep was always a pretty difficult for me until I spoke to my doctor during a check-up. Getting a fairly gentle medication for it was a big help for me, another was using f.lux on my PC to hit me with less blue light towards the latter half of my "day" which has not only made my eyes feel notably better but I think has aided in it. I never take a phone to bed as I just don't care for smart phones, but I know it keeps you awake by keeping your brain engaged and your eyes strained.

Also strong seconding @Boris Blank's glass eye on both considering a check for sleep apnea and not getting too strict with sleep. Trying to make a huge change to your sleep schedule is like a hard-turn on a ship's wheel, you may change course but your body and mind will be reeling from it. Do your best to not get too tight with when you do or do not sleep, just try to be more mindful of when you are edging towards being tired. Even if it's just an hour or two earlier than before it's an improvement. Success on that will naturally vary due to level of broke-brain.
Already doing flux, and it does help. I'm spending less time with my phone now-days, though as I mentioned the problem is more just getting out of bed in general. I guess the phone is more of an "excuse"... if that makes sense.

I didn't think about an apnea check. I'm not fat, but I do snore (seems to be genetic) so I wonder if that's an indication of a problem.

Spasticus Autisticus

kiwifarms.net
I was (well, still am) having similar sleep problems, for most of my adult life in fact. A few years ago I went in for a sleep study. The study definitively ruled out apnea, which I highly doubted was the problem anyway. The doctor diagnosed me with "delayed sleep phase disorder" which basically has no treatment other than melatonin to get my circadian clock temporarily back in order, which does work fairly well. Working from home has actually been a benefit to this as I can pretty much just wake up half an hour before my first meeting of the day, instead of having to account for 45 minutes to an hour for the commute.

f.lux/redshift is definitely a good thing to add. I bought some Gunnar glasses with the full amber tint which also seems to help. Some have recommended alcohol but I've found it often has the opposite effect on me.

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
Some have recommended alcohol but I've found it often has the opposite effect on me.
Alcohol has horrible effects on me for sleep. What happens is I go to sleep quickly, but then I wake up a few hours later and stay up for the rest of the night. What's worse is that for the next few nights, I can't sleep at all unless I drink. This problem is so severe that I haven't had a drop of alcohol since I turned 21. It's a genuinely awful experience.

Last edited:

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
I didn't think about an apnea check. I'm not fat, but I do snore (seems to be genetic) so I wonder if that's an indication of a problem.
People mainly associate sleep apnea with being fat, and that's indeed a risk factor. However, there are other risk factors with obstructive sleep apnea - smoking, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), and genetic predisposition - since it's essentially a blockage of the upper airways. Yes, half a ton of fat definitely restricts your windpipe, but so could floppy soft palate tissue, inflamed tonsils, or even your tongue.
Then there's central sleep apnea, which is more of a central nervous system condition.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
I often find my rhythm shifts pretty regularly, I have a night owl tendency which interferes with any reasonable work schedule. Best trick I’ve found is to workout if I’m jittery about an hour or two before sleep. You’ll wake up for awhile, then the fatigue sets in and knocks you out. Failing that, lights off and closing your eyes and forcing yourself to sleep is the other alternative.

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
Things that have helped me:

• Melatonin
  • Kirkland Sleep Aid (not technically supposed to take it long term, but my doctor says low dose is okay, check with yours)
  • Weighted blanket
  • Flonase
  • Minor surgery to clear a bunch of excess scar tissue out of my nose (this helped the most)
The weighted blanket is the easiest thing to try there. I have one gathering dust

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
I've been trying some different stuff lately and I seem to have rolled back my sleep schedule pretty well. However, I think I'm waking up too soon. I know I function optimally at 8 hours but my body refuses to sleep past 7 and I don't feel completely rested when waking up. There are times when I have slept for 8 and I felt fine. I've blacked out my windows completely so light is not an issue.

Any tips for staying alseep for that full 8?

Ciscoipphone

They're GRRREAT!!
kiwifarms.net
I've been trying some different stuff lately and I seem to have rolled back my sleep schedule pretty well. However, I think I'm waking up too soon. I know I function optimally at 8 hours but my body refuses to sleep past 7 and I don't feel completely rested when waking up. There are times when I have slept for 8 and I felt fine. I've blacked out my windows completely so light is not an issue.

Any tips for staying alseep for that full 8?
that might just be your normal circadian rythm. Some people just need less sleep. For example

sleeping-habits-rich.jpg

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
that might just be your normal circadian rythm. Some people just need less sleep. For example

View attachment 1942484
That's cool and all but it reminds me of people saying "You don't need to finish college to get a good job because Bill Gates". I pay close attention to my body and there is a stark difference between me getting 6 and a full 8 hours. I do take mid day naps some time and they do help, but they also fairly disruptive to my work availability.

Fliddaroonie

I'm a spooky ghost! Whooooo!!! Ectoplasm!!!!
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1916354

For the past few weeks I've desperately been trying various 'self improvement' methods to deal with a noticeable decline in concentration and work performance I'm suffering from. The TL;DR of it all is that poor sleep seems to be the main factor contributing to it. The "obvious solution" would be "lmao just go to bed earlier bro", and that's true but it's easier said than done for most people. When you get tired, you have reduced judgement, so snappy and responsible decisions become harder to make.

I wanted to list some observations, quirks and oddities that I personally struggle with, and I wanted to know if others experienced these same things in the same way. The covid lockdowns over the past year have hit me hard, and I think elevated anxiety has certainly contributed to my screwed up schedule, but that's a much larger demon that I'm not sure I can fix.

• As it gets later into the night, if I'm working or messing around online, there's a tendency to lose track of time much easier than in the middle of the day. Two or three hours can easily slip by and it feels like 30 minutes. It doesn't help that as I get tired, my judgement reduces so it's harder to 'check myself' even if I set a timer.

• We're all familiar with going to bed earlier being more difficult due to your circadian rhythm, but I find there's an additional problem with me needing to fulfill a "ritual" of some sort before bed. For instance, no matter if I'm sticking with my schedule or not, if I don't talk to my friends before bed I find I have a much harder time sleeping. This further complicates the above point because if I get into a conversation, I don't just want to drop it, but at the same time that's when I'm in the 'danger zone' of hours flying by.

• This is less 'sleep' related per-say, but I have fairly severe problems getting out of bed in the morning. If I have my phone by me, I dick around on my phone in a zombie like state with reduced judgement for an hour. If I don't have my phone by me, I sit there and contemplate getting out of bed for an hour in a zombie state but don't actually do it. If I put my alarm clock across the room, I get up in a zombie state, turn it off, then go back to bed in said zombie state. This is definitely some kind of willpower issue but it's like I'm still half dreaming and I'm not sure what to do beyond getting shocked with a taser.

Do you suffer from stuff like this? What stupid tricks have you done to overcome them, if you have? I'd prefer to not make this about chemical assistance such as melatonin or klonopin. I'd rather stick to methodical ways of fixing the issues if possible. However, if you did have to use a chemical to solve your sleep issues, that's worth a mention as well.
Re getting up, buy an alarm clock and put it away from your bed.

And do not ever use the snooze button. It does not work. Get out of bed as soon as your alarm goes off.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
chiming in for my sperging.

OP, have you checked yourself in the mirror lately? as in starting to take notes whenever whatever? being self aware is one huge step to help, go to a sleep doc and get tips from them.

circadian clocks can be altered no problems because world traveling so you shouldn't stick yourself that much to it, the whole routine of what you need to sleep is what is, depending on many other factors you can have positive and negative factors to help your sleeping.

being on the farms is the least place you should seek as a rule because each person here is different with different bodies and routines. for instance many farmers here need to be on the utter darkness and calmness to sleep but other farmers (myself included) can sleep/nap soundly with light and sounds while other farmers are usually mixes, i caught myself with my phone on my face after sleeping because i was browsing some dating apps and i can even sleep with my glasses on but it depends heavily. my alertness is what makes my sleep either ultra heavy or featherlight to a point of waking up for coin dropping sounds.

start to take notes about yourself when going to sleep and get help from the doctors and even consider psy help, i often concur with the kiwi theory that a healthy mind/body work in tandem, luck also plays a part, considering how sedentary i was i got ultra lucky to not develop terrible issues after the docs told me the myriad of issues that i should have, that sucks a bit since i developed dust allergy even though i had no allergies when i was younger, can still sleep without problems, only awakening to find one of my noses with that stuck sensation.

with the rona i think it'll be hard for you to get checkups at the doc and don't self med, docs hate that because in some countries a superbacteria often pops up because people selfmedded to give them resistance.