Healthy Sleep General - Groundbreaking study from John Hopkins finds sleep is good

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
Super unhealthy because I'm on call 24/7/365 and have to go in if someone's unavailable. This week, for example, I worked four 16 hour days, usually only getting 6 hours or so in between. I may be getting used to a 6 hour schedule, though, but since it was so irregular with the shifts being at all hours who the fuck even knows.

Apis mellifera

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1916354

For the past few weeks I've desperately been trying various 'self improvement' methods to deal with a noticeable decline in concentration and work performance I'm suffering from. The TL;DR of it all is that poor sleep seems to be the main factor contributing to it. The "obvious solution" would be "lmao just go to bed earlier bro", and that's true but it's easier said than done for most people. When you get tired, you have reduced judgement, so snappy and responsible decisions become harder to make.

I wanted to list some observations, quirks and oddities that I personally struggle with, and I wanted to know if others experienced these same things in the same way. The covid lockdowns over the past year have hit me hard, and I think elevated anxiety has certainly contributed to my screwed up schedule, but that's a much larger demon that I'm not sure I can fix.

• As it gets later into the night, if I'm working or messing around online, there's a tendency to lose track of time much easier than in the middle of the day. Two or three hours can easily slip by and it feels like 30 minutes. It doesn't help that as I get tired, my judgement reduces so it's harder to 'check myself' even if I set a timer.

• We're all familiar with going to bed earlier being more difficult due to your circadian rhythm, but I find there's an additional problem with me needing to fulfill a "ritual" of some sort before bed. For instance, no matter if I'm sticking with my schedule or not, if I don't talk to my friends before bed I find I have a much harder time sleeping. This further complicates the above point because if I get into a conversation, I don't just want to drop it, but at the same time that's when I'm in the 'danger zone' of hours flying by.

• This is less 'sleep' related per-say, but I have fairly severe problems getting out of bed in the morning. If I have my phone by me, I dick around on my phone in a zombie like state with reduced judgement for an hour. If I don't have my phone by me, I sit there and contemplate getting out of bed for an hour in a zombie state but don't actually do it. If I put my alarm clock across the room, I get up in a zombie state, turn it off, then go back to bed in said zombie state. This is definitely some kind of willpower issue but it's like I'm still half dreaming and I'm not sure what to do beyond getting shocked with a taser.

Do you suffer from stuff like this? What stupid tricks have you done to overcome them, if you have? I'd prefer to not make this about chemical assistance such as melatonin or klonopin. I'd rather stick to methodical ways of fixing the issues if possible. However, if you did have to use a chemical to solve your sleep issues, that's worth a mention as well.
I like to workout in the morning before hopping in the shower to wake myself up, try doing a personal best for pressups if you can, but any amount of exercise will suffice. Also, if you're unopposed to leftover coffee, you can leave some black coffee next to your bed for the following morning to drink. Don't put cream in it or anything, it'll go sour as you sleep.

For sleep, I like to meditate and clear my mind before going to bed, really helps me to make the ol' racing thoughts shut up, and it improves my sleep quality. Also, get yourself tested for ADHD and ASD if possible; while not a definitive symptom, a fucked up sleep schedule and a tendency hyper-focus at night seems to be a shared trait amongst me and my autist friends.

hundredpercent

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1916354

For the past few weeks I've desperately been trying various 'self improvement' methods to deal with a noticeable decline in concentration and work performance I'm suffering from. The TL;DR of it all is that poor sleep seems to be the main factor contributing to it. The "obvious solution" would be "lmao just go to bed earlier bro", and that's true but it's easier said than done for most people. When you get tired, you have reduced judgement, so snappy and responsible decisions become harder to make.

I wanted to list some observations, quirks and oddities that I personally struggle with, and I wanted to know if others experienced these same things in the same way. The covid lockdowns over the past year have hit me hard, and I think elevated anxiety has certainly contributed to my screwed up schedule, but that's a much larger demon that I'm not sure I can fix.

• As it gets later into the night, if I'm working or messing around online, there's a tendency to lose track of time much easier than in the middle of the day. Two or three hours can easily slip by and it feels like 30 minutes. It doesn't help that as I get tired, my judgement reduces so it's harder to 'check myself' even if I set a timer.

• We're all familiar with going to bed earlier being more difficult due to your circadian rhythm, but I find there's an additional problem with me needing to fulfill a "ritual" of some sort before bed. For instance, no matter if I'm sticking with my schedule or not, if I don't talk to my friends before bed I find I have a much harder time sleeping. This further complicates the above point because if I get into a conversation, I don't just want to drop it, but at the same time that's when I'm in the 'danger zone' of hours flying by.

• This is less 'sleep' related per-say, but I have fairly severe problems getting out of bed in the morning. If I have my phone by me, I dick around on my phone in a zombie like state with reduced judgement for an hour. If I don't have my phone by me, I sit there and contemplate getting out of bed for an hour in a zombie state but don't actually do it. If I put my alarm clock across the room, I get up in a zombie state, turn it off, then go back to bed in said zombie state. This is definitely some kind of willpower issue but it's like I'm still half dreaming and I'm not sure what to do beyond getting shocked with a taser.

Do you suffer from stuff like this? What stupid tricks have you done to overcome them, if you have? I'd prefer to not make this about chemical assistance such as melatonin or klonopin. I'd rather stick to methodical ways of fixing the issues if possible. However, if you did have to use a chemical to solve your sleep issues, that's worth a mention as well.
There's a few tricks, but no silver bullets.
- Make sure everything's ready once it gets late. Once you've had dinner, you might as well brush your teeth. If you have problems with procrastinating your sleep schedule, getting rid of all the obstacles helps.
- Try just getting up in the morning, without "beginning the day". Set the alarm, then just get out of bed and stand there for 10 or 15 minutes until your body wakes up. Make sure not to sit down.
- Make sure to eat breakfast as soon as you can. Your body sets the sleep schedule based on when you eat, so it sort of re-centers your sleep schedule
- There's a certain heft to it - sleep schedule isn't just a matter of "went up later, got tired later". You have to keep at it.
- On the same note, drastic changes don't work that well. If you set an alarm really early one day, it's not likely to change anything long-term. You have to be consistent about it, and go for small long-term changes.
- If all else fails, pulling an all-nighter actually does reset it. However, you still need to keep at it to get it to stabilize at the new rhythm. If you go to bed at 6 PM, then you'll wake up at 2 AM or so. That will give you a few days to establish a good schedule, with some leeway since you're going to have a few hours to spare.

Also, the usual about keeping your bedroom dark, but I'm sure you've heard all that.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
I've had sleep apnea since I was a baby so I just work as much as possible until I'm exhausted and then get my three to fours of sleep. Usually after the third hour mark is when I start having issues. Once I'm up I can't fall back to sleep until I'm exhausted again. I also have low blood pressure and anemic so that also causes sleep issues.

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net
There's a few tricks, but no silver bullets.
- Make sure everything's ready once it gets late. Once you've had dinner, you might as well brush your teeth. If you have problems with procrastinating your sleep schedule, getting rid of all the obstacles helps.
- Try just getting up in the morning, without "beginning the day". Set the alarm, then just get out of bed and stand there for 10 or 15 minutes until your body wakes up. Make sure not to sit down.
- Make sure to eat breakfast as soon as you can. Your body sets the sleep schedule based on when you eat, so it sort of re-centers your sleep schedule
- There's a certain heft to it - sleep schedule isn't just a matter of "went up later, got tired later". You have to keep at it.
- On the same note, drastic changes don't work that well. If you set an alarm really early one day, it's not likely to change anything long-term. You have to be consistent about it, and go for small long-term changes.
- If all else fails, pulling an all-nighter actually does reset it. However, you still need to keep at it to get it to stabilize at the new rhythm. If you go to bed at 6 PM, then you'll wake up at 2 AM or so. That will give you a few days to establish a good schedule, with some leeway since you're going to have a few hours to spare.

Also, the usual about keeping your bedroom dark, but I'm sure you've heard all that.
Lately my allergies have started getting to me and coughing will often keep me from sleeping if I stay in bed trying to go to sleep for too long. And no, I typically do not react too well to decongestants. Vaporub works ok on me but there's only so much it can do after 2 hours of buildup. It doesn't wake me up but it keeps me awake if I haven't fallen asleep.

I'm getting desperate enough that I think I may try the all-nighter. No time like the weekend, I suppose.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
I've invested in a new pillow, a weighted blanket (15b), and a mask. I won't say I sleep any better, but it certainly is more of an activity than just laying down. Feeling the embrace of the blanket, living in complete darkness with the mask, and then going early to bed and without much thinking cause I've cut out a lot of negative mental impact in my life.

Yet I wake once or twice a night. No idea why. If not, I'd be a fucking superhuman. 7-8 hours of sleep a day, absolute unit. Alas, maybe one day it'll come.. I've tried it all. No screens, working out all day, going to bed "despite not being tired". I read a Leddit thread, and 4/5 posts about good sleep really just was an empty head. No mental debates or thinking. Baby mode.
Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Focus on each limb and then relax them one by one. Take all of them and simply sink. You might feel a jolt as you get into the abyss. That's normal and means it's working. You should also use this website.
I remember doing something like this. Putting my tongue onto the roof of my mouth and breathing in a specific way? It gave you a real wave of severe tiredness, but it was more of a gimmick than anything. I really don't believe all these methods of sleeping immediately, cause rarely do they rival just being emptyheaded.

Spiny Rumples

kiwifarms.net
I've invested in a new pillow, a weighted blanket (15b), and a mask. I won't say I sleep any better, but it certainly is more of an activity than just laying down. Feeling the embrace of the blanket, living in complete darkness with the mask, and then going early to bed and without much thinking cause I've cut out a lot of negative mental impact in my life.

Yet I wake once or twice a night. No idea why. If not, I'd be a fucking superhuman. 7-8 hours of sleep a day, absolute unit. Alas, maybe one day it'll come.. I've tried it all. No screens, working out all day, going to bed "despite not being tired". I read a Leddit thread, and 4/5 posts about good sleep really just was an empty head. No mental debates or thinking. Baby mode.

I remember doing something like this. Putting my tongue onto the roof of my mouth and breathing in a specific way? It gave you a real wave of severe tiredness, but it was more of a gimmick than anything. I really don't believe all these methods of sleeping immediately, cause rarely do they rival just being emptyheaded.
Heads up, weighed blankets can get uncomfortable if used every day. It weighs on the joints. I recommend cycling it on and off or using every now and then.

I get a lot of benefit from white noise apps and earplugs due to living near traffic.