Heirs of the body of Angelina Silva Englisbee vs. Patrick Crusius, Jim Watkins (8chan), Matthew Prince (Cloudflare), Fredrick Brennan, Anons on /pol/ -

Null

Ooperator
Patriarch
kiwifarms.net
William C. Englisbee, Edith Hallberg, Richard Englisbee, and Elizabeth Anderson, As Heirs of the body of Angelina Silva Englisbee, Deceased
vs.
Patrick Wood Crusius, John Bryan Crusius, Lori Lynn Crusius, Larry P. Brown, Cynthia B. Brown, 8 CH and James A. Watkins, Individually and d/b/a PACIFIC INTERNET EXCHANGE, LLC and NT TECHNOLOGY INC, Matthew Prince, Individually and d/b/a CLOUDFLARE INC., Fredrick Brennan, all of whom are Joint and Severally called 8CH; and John Does 1 through Unknown

This is a thread for legal discussion. For shitposting, go here.

Civil Case No. 2019DCV4202

1572455867841.png1572455896667.png

Family of woman killed in shooting files lawsuit against Crusius family, 8chan website
The family of a woman killed in the Aug. 3 Walmart mass shooting filed a lawsuit against the suspected shooter, his family and the website where he is believed to have posted a racist, hate-filled manifesto minutes before allegedly killing 22 people.

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in El Paso district court and is the first lawsuit to be filed against the parents and grandparents of the suspected shooter Patrick Crusius, 21, or the 8chan anonymous online message board, said El Paso attorney James Scherr, who is representing the family of Angelina Englisbee.

"The (Englisbee) family seeks this lawsuit to stop the hate, to send a message to people who are going to travel 600 miles or 1 mile to injure, maim or kill someone because of their national origin, their background, their religion, whatever the case may be, just because they live hate," Scherr said.

Last edited:

Null

Ooperator
Patriarch
kiwifarms.net
This isn't North Korea, I do not see how the Crusius family can be realistically found liable here.
It's not just DPRK which punishes families, it's a lot of Asian countries. If you kill yourself in Japan by jumping in front of train tracks, your family gets fined. If you become a political dissident in China, your family's social credit score is harmed as both a punitive measure and to encourage families to keep children in line with party values. It's very effective for what it does, so expect it in the West eventually.

As for the present day, present time, it's unlikely ANY of these will stick. Almost everyone will recuse themselves immediately using CDA section 230 and any IP data relevant to /pol/ is gone by now. For the family, there is strong precedent against people getting involved. No one is compelled to help you.

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally, for once someone isn't suing Kiwi Farms for something ridiculous. But I mean, good luck with that lawsuit, which literally just sues everyone who wasn't even connected to the killer besides being/using/maintaining a website. The guy would have killed, regardless if he used 8chan or not. If this were 2007, it would've been 4chan or EDF.

The site and the people running it are obviously not the problem: learn to figure out your grief in a healthier manner than this-- to me, this feels like they are disrespecting the decease by using their corpse to sue people completely disconnected from what actually happened IRL.

Stranger Neighbors

Mondo Bizarro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Suing his family for what? I can't imagine any court taking a case suing someone for being related to someone else.

LMFAO good fucking show. This should really help the legacy and memory of your dead daughter

Edit: I see now negligence.

This is baffling, why waste your time, dishonor the memory of your dead family and make yourself (and everyone around you) look like tards?!only to not get anything out of it. This is like coming after Jershs mother because they can't get to him.

If the family made a "GoFundMe" people would shower them in cash. They could probably even open a charity or some shit in their daughter's name. They have clout now they are victims.

But noooooo this is "Justice"
This is "Sending a message", "taking a stand against hate"

Question: (While they are at it) Why not Sue the NRA too, I mean aren't they the evil bastards that make Guns legal after all? They should join March for our lives, Go on CNN. Thats the best way to make a difference, become the Greta Thumbhead of Gun control

Last edited:

Arctic Fox

You won't get past my wall.
kiwifarms.net
"The (Englisbee) family seeks this lawsuit to stop the hate, to send a message to people who are going to travel 600 miles or 1 mile to injure, maim or kill someone because of their national origin, their background, their religion, whatever the case may be, just because they live hate," Scherr said.
These people are literally suing dozens of parties as some kind of half-assed way to send a message to racists. This is basically just saying;
"You better not hurt anyone, or I'll sue your family after you're arrested!"
I don't buy this. They're trying to get a payout from this and a big one. Are they after a certain amount? I'm very interested in what they think this 'negligence' is worth.

Slimy Time

New Server: New Avatar
kiwifarms.net
"The (Englisbee) family seeks this lawsuit to stop the hate, to send a message to people who are going to travel 600 miles or 1 mile to injure, maim or kill someone because of their national origin, their background, their religion, whatever the case may be, just because they live hate" - That's not the point of a lawsuit, you file one to restore damage back to the point before the damage took place.

Grouping all those people together under the moniker of "8chan" is just exceptional. Brennan is on a holier than thou crusade to bury 8Chan and make sure it's permanently gone, Cloudflare hosted more than just 8chan. You can't just lump everyone in together.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
If you kill yourself in Japan by jumping in front of train tracks, your family gets fined.
Can happen to you in most countries where relatives of the deceased can be made liable for the damages incurred. (i.E. many european countries, no idea about the US) Isn't only valid for trains either. It's just that a lot of big corporations don't pursue because it's not exactly good PR. It does happen sometimes though, also civil suits by the train engineers themselves.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I love that they're suing that chicken nugget looking motherfucker Fredrick. How much has his virtue signaling saved him? Nothing.

More hilariously he has absolutely fucking nothing to do with it. It's still his legacy to the world, no matter what he does, he's the movie villain evil midget who started evil Nazi pedophile site 8chan.

Why are they wasting the time and money? This'll almost certainly get dismissed pretty quickly and it just makes them look like assholes. I don't understand what's going through their heads
Watkins is probably the one with a potential case against him, depending on how robust § 230 is in Texas. It's not like everywhere has taken the incredibly sweeping view of it California has. There are also Anons who may have directly encouraged him. You'd have to argue around § 230 to claim Watkins actually somehow intended results like this, riled people up, and got it.

Cloudflare more or less has to defend this aggressively because it wrecks their business model entirely if they are liable for nothing but providing DDoS mitigation to sites people don't like.

Last edited:

Stranger Neighbors

Mondo Bizarro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
These people are literally suing dozens of parties as some kind of half-assed way to send a message to racists. This is basically just saying;
"You better not hurt anyone, or I'll sue your family after you're arrested!"
I don't buy this. They're trying to get a payout from this and a big one. Are they after a certain amount? I'm very interested in what they think this 'negligence' is worth.
Do you think they still would have tried and sued the family if the son died?

I imagine they don't give a shit about the family regardless (even though they are victims in this to)
My guess is they wouldn't have tried it if he died, solely because of optics, but I can already hear their crocodile tears:

"they still have their child , I lost mine! Now pay me for not preventing something no one knew was going to happen"
&
"Pay us X to stand against hate"

like others have said good luck to them. I'm sure this isn't a huge waste of everyone's time and I'm sure this wont paint a giant fucking target on their backs for the rest of their lives

Last edited:
Tags
None