Science How obesity may harm memory and learning -

ATaxingWoman

Professional Tax Investigator & Climate Activist
kiwifarms.net
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-obesity-may-harm-memory-and-learning
Obesity can affect brainpower, and a study in mice may help explain how.

In the brains of obese mice, rogue immune cells chomp nerve cell connections that are important for learning and memory, scientists report September 10 in the Journal of Neuroscience. Drugs that stop this synapse destruction may ultimately prove useful for protecting the brain against the immune cell assault.

Like people, mice that eat lots of fat quickly pack on pounds. After 12 weeks of a high-fat diet, mice weighed almost 40 percent more than mice fed standard chow. These obese mice showed signs of diminished brainpower, neuroscientist Elizabeth Gould of Princeton University and colleagues found. Obese mice were worse at escaping mazes and remembering an object’s location than mice of a normal weight.

On nerve cells, microscopic knobs called dendritic spines receive signals. Compared with normal-sized mice, obese mice had fewer dendritic spines in several parts of the mice’s hippocampi, brain structures important for learning and memory.

The dendritic spine destruction comes from immune cells called microglia, the results suggest. In obese mice, higher numbers of active microglia lurked among these sparser nerve cell connections compared with mice of normal weights. When the researchers interfered with microglia in obese mice, dendritic spines were protected and the mice’s performance on thinking tests improved.

Figuring out ways to stop microglia’s damage might one day prove to protect against obesity-related brain trouble, a concern relevant to the estimated 650 million obese adults worldwide. Obese people are also at a higher risk of dementias such as Alzheimer’s, and some researchers suspect microglia may be a culprit in those brain diseases more generally.
Amberlynn and Chantal should take note

BerriesArnold

kiwifarms.net
I've been saying this for years lol Yes, it's an actual thing that has been studied for years both in the neuroscience realm and the psychology realm.

But the question is, does stupidity cause obesity or does obesity cause stupidity? Is it a time-sensitive thing or are these fatasses just a victim to natural selection. You don't get to 400 and 540lbs without having some sort of cognitive disorder.

Zvantastika

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was going to comment something but I forgot what this thread was all about. Did someone said something about twinkies?, because I do recall something about twinkies. Also not sure if I already had my 20 daily twinkies for today tho, so I better get starting on that too. I was going to comment something but I forgot what this thread was all about.

But the question is, does stupidity cause obesity or does obesity cause stupidity?
Why not both?, it's easier to ruin things than keeping them on good working shape. Stupid get morbidly obese because they truly can't understand the consequences of their actions and average intelligence people get fat because lazy, which then turn them stupid and then morbidly obese. Don't worry tho, if WALL-E taught me anything, is that all this is part of the plan and everything will be alright in the end.

Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

thx1138

Are you now, or have you ever been?
kiwifarms.net
I've been saying this for years lol Yes, it's an actual thing that has been studied for years both in the neuroscience realm and the psychology realm.

But the question is, does stupidity cause obesity or does obesity cause stupidity? Is it a time-sensitive thing or are these fatasses just a victim to natural selection. You don't get to 400 and 540lbs without having some sort of cognitive disorder.
It's probably a death spiral. You gain weight -> get depressed, don't think about what you're eating -> gain more weight -> get more depressed, don't think about what you're eating -> gain more weight 20 goto 10.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
There is literally nothing good about fat people.

I figured this shit was the case before I was like 13, do we really need to sell people on this idea?
Yeah one of the terrible secrets of life is despite all the childhood fairy tales you were told in school, you really can usually judge a book by its cover. People that take care of themselves are usually better people overall than people that don't.

scorptatious

Happiness Bunny
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And one wonders why popular media likes to portray the fatass father as the idiot.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino