• WE CAN'T GET THE CAP OFF!!!

HuffPo: If You Really Love LGBTQ People, You Just Can’t Keep Eating Chick-fil-A

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by CIA Nigger, Jun 13, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. https://archive.fo/BVQTx

When I was growing up, there were few things as exciting to me as a trip to the Regency Mall in Racine, Wisconsin, for lunch at Chick-fil-A.

My family didn’t have much money then so eating out was a rare treat. But when the trip included waffle fries ― an ingenious food so alien to southern Wisconsin in the early ’80s that they seemed like small, salty miracles to my tiny, still-soft mind ― it was almost too much for me to take.

Still, as delicious as the Georgia-based company’s fried foods were, they weren’t my only weakness as a kid. When I wasn’t fantasizing about grease, I was spending my young swishy days doing a really shitty job of hiding my insatiable hunger for other boys.

I was the kind of gay that doesn’t go unnoticed. It wasn’t until I escaped to college that I finally began to accept who and what I was. Once I did, I vowed to never let anyone make me feel like I was less than them simply because I lusted after and loved other men.

So you can imagine how upsetting it was for me when Chick-fil-A’s president, Dan Cathy, proudly came out as a homophobe in 2012 by claiming, “We are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’ and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”

Even worse, the company put its money where Cathy’s vile mouth was by donating millions of dollars each year to anti-LGBTQ organizations via its Winshape nonprofit organization.

As disappointed as I was to learn the chain I had loved as a child was working to make my life and the lives of my fellow queers a living hell, I was heartened by the swift response from the queer community and its supporters. For several years, the only time you’d catch an LGBTQ person or an ally at Chick-fil-A was for a protest.

And then ... something changed.

For some strange reason I still don’t fully understand, some queer people and their friends and families began eating at Chick-fil-A again and are still eating there.

I’d venture a guess that Cathy’s somewhat conciliatory yet ridiculously inadequate non-apology and the company’s (totally bogus) promise to stop donating to anti-LGBTQ groups (while it may have ceased funding some groups, it’s certainly still bankrolling others) may have made some people feel justified in returning to the chain. People can be disturbingly indignant and defiant when faced with giving up their beloved chicken sandwiches.

When Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey was called out earlier this week for tweeting about eating at Chick-fil-A during Pride Month, I was shocked to see how many queer people and their allies not only didn’t care but went out of their way to defend the fast food chain.

Excuses I’ve heard for continuing to eat at Chick-fil-A range from a nonchalant dismissal of the issue (“In the grand scheme of things, eating there isn’t really that big of a deal and we have bigger problems to worry about”) to an all-or-nothing paradigm (“I can’t possibly avoid all of the problematic companies out there, so why should I worry about this one?”) to a simple admittance that the siren song of the company’s kitchens has proven impossible to ignore (“I know I shouldn’t eat there but it’s just too good not to!”).

To all of these flimsy justifications, I say, “Bullshit.” If you care about queer people ― or you yourself are queer ― you have absolutely no business eating at Chick-fil-A. Ever. It’s really that straightforward.

If you’re arguing there are other (arguably bigger) fish (or, in this case, chicken) to fry, you may not be wrong. However, I think you’re underestimating my (and probably your) ability to be angry about ― and take action against ― more than one target at once. Just because Chick-fil-A may not be as “bad” (in your view) as the Trump administration (or countless other folks or corporations), that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t challenge Chick-fil-A on its anti-queer stance while continuing to call out and work against other offensive and/or dangerous entities.

Any effort or energy you dedicate to not filling Chick-fil-A’s queerphobic coffers does not compromise your ability to simultaneously do the same with other opponents. Surely, like me, you have enough ― and are, sadly, constantly generating more ― outrage to spread around whenever and wherever it may be needed.

If you’re arguing that virtually every company doing business today is problematic in one way or another, you’re not wrong there either. (If you want to find other anti-queer culprits, check out the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index.) But when a corporation is wafting its anti-queer stance directly under your nose, as Chick-fil-A has and continues to do, not giving them more money to use against us is a no-brainer.

I’m not saying that in order to be a “good” person or ensure you don’t support despicable businesses, you have to hermetically seal yourself inside your home and only eat food you’ve hydroponically grown and only wear clothes you’ve woven on a loom built using recycled popsicle sticks and the stickier variety of bodily fluids you have handy. I’m saying that when you know a company is anti-queer ― and, what’s more, when a company like Chick-fil-A goes out of its way to tell you as much ― you shouldn’t support them no matter how delicious a reason you can order up.

Yeah, I know, I know ― it sucks that we can’t have waffle fries. But you know what sucks even more? Not having equal rights and contributing to the profits of a company that wants to ensure you never do because it believes you’re fundamentally disordered or unnatural or sinful or some delightful combination of all three.

Am I saying Chick-fil-A and everyone who works for it is evil? Of course not. The corporation has done a lot of good and even donated food to volunteers giving blood in the wake of the Pulse nightclub massacre (though, ironically, most gay men weren’t allowed to participate in that charitable effort). But none of its generosity changes the fact that the chain has taken and continues to take an anti-queer stance and still donates large sums of money to anti-queer groups.

Ultimately, if you’re going out of your way to find a reason to continue to patronize Chick-fil-A, you might want to examine why you need to expend so much energy to do so.

No one likes to hear that they’re doing something wrong ― or that they can’t have something that brings them immense pleasure ― but that’s still exactly what I’m telling you.

It’s time to choose where your loyalties lie ― with your community or with your stomach. I’m hoping you can find another restaurant to satiate your chicken sandwich cravings. If all else fails, there’s always this recipe to make a copycat version of the Chick-fil-A favorite at home. Sure, it won’t be exactly the same but it’s pretty damn close, and I promise it’ll go down a whole lot easier without all of that nasty queerphobia you’ve been ingesting.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 2
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 1
    CIA Nigger

CIA Nigger Herding the impotent docile herd of nigger cattle.
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  2. Well, i guess i'll keep eating at Chick-fil-A then.

• Agree  x 52
    • Winner  x 9
    • Like  x 6
    • DRINK  x 3
    • Feels  x 2
    • Horrifying  x 1
    Ratko_Falco

Ratko_Falco генерал у Војсци Републике Српске

kiwifarms.is
  3. I choose stomach.

• Agree Agree x 25
    • Winner Winner x 1
    spiritofamermaid

spiritofamermaid happiest fish in the water

kiwifarms.is
  4. I don't love the homofags nearly as much as I like that honey mustard sauce. I don't even care for the chicken! I guess this is it. I'm officially "alt-right" now

• Agree Agree x 16
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  5. >lgbt+ community that hurls insults at me and blames me for shit I didn't do
    >delicious chicken that never judges me
    Huh, tough choice... I'mma go with the chicken.

• Agree  x 59
    • Winner  x 17
    • Like  x 3
    • Feels  x 3
    •  x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  6. Chicken patty sandwiches are serious business.

• Agree Agree x 7
    kiwifarms.is
  7. I live in another country, don't eat meat and yet feel it's my duty to eat at Chick-Fil-A now.

• Feels  x 29
    • Like  x 8
    • Agree  x 7
    • Winner  x 7
    • Semper Fidelis  x 2
    •  x 1
    heathercho

heathercho 何でやねん?

kiwifarms.is
  8. If there's ever going to be any cock in my mouth, I'd rather it be a Chick-fil-A sandwich.

• Winner  x 68
    • Agree  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    •  x 1
    • DRINK  x 1
    • Powerlevel  x 1
    Baldur's Gait

Baldur's Gait Must we be so insufferably charitable?!

kiwifarms.is
  9. I'll never understand company boycotts and this might be the worst. They want to spite a single family that happens to own a company by financially harming thousands of employees who probably only applied there because they don't have to come in on Sundays.

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Winner Winner x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  10. Yeah fuck all the people that work there because they needed a job and money amirite

I know it's an understatement, but holy fuck people need to find better things to be mad about

• Agree Agree x 31
    triangleboy

triangleboy Nintendo Hates Him!

kiwifarms.is
  11. Reading that rant made me hungry.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Feels Feels x 2
    AprilRains

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  12. As someone who would be considered part of the lgbt group

Fuck 'em.

All the other's I've know are a bunch of insufferable pricks in the first place and this hill is as stupid to die on as it is for conservatards to Starbucks in December. Besides, their nuggets and shakes are the best hands down

• Agree Agree x 23
    • Like Like x 2
    • Feels Feels x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Hux

Hux

kiwifarms.is
  13. I love how baffled the writer is that there are gays who don't care about the political opinions of the megacorps who serve them their greasy tendies. Hell, I'm one of them. I couldn't care less if the CEO of Chick-Fil-A isn't a fan of gay marriage, his opinion does not effect my ability to get hitched and he has never said that gays aren't welcome in his restaurants. I like their food and I'm not going to stop eating it just because some jumped up journalist thinks I'm a traitor to my kind.

• Agree Agree x 28
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  14. I'm a massive faggot yet I'm still going to eat Chick-Fil-A so suck my ass Cuckington Post.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Feels Feels x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Calooby

Calooby The phone lines are going berserk!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  15. I love the undertones in the article that not eating waffle fries is the grratest sacrifice one can be asked to make.

• Agree  x 16
    • Winner  x 6
    • Like  x 3
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  16. There is an obsession with creating an "all or nothing" binary choice between the gay community and Chick-Fil-A. Like, we have to pick one or the other, or something.
    Alright then. I pick spicy chicken sandwiches. It's almost midnight and I've had a few, people, I would kill an at-risk gay teen for a fucking spicy deluxe about now.

Joking aside, look, there's no actual fucking harm to the gay community. A CEO holding some regressive social views doesn't actually harm anyone. They still serve LGBT patrons, they're not running a fucking pogrom against the gay community, so the fuck does it matter?

If we're really determined to make this a black and white "either boycott this chicken restaurant or you're not a real LGBT ally", then yeah, count me in for team chicken.
    It's not that people "don't think about it enough". It's that in a choice between a meaningless performative gesture and a sandwich? I'll take a sandwich.

• Agree Agree x 34
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Dr. Boe Jangles Esq.

Dr. Boe Jangles Esq. Screencaps and Liquor
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  17. >Bakers should be REQUIRED BY LAW to violate their religious beliefs and make cakes for my gay wedding!
    >Fuck you Chick-Fil-A for having religious beliefs that frown upon my lifestyle! BOYCOTT

So much for consistency.

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem The One True Incel

kiwifarms.is
  18. I went to chic fil a to spite people who write huge ranting walls of text like the article in the OP.

I stayed because the food was delicious. Also there is just something about the place. As if the people who work there are actually proud to work there. And as if the feeling is reciprocated. If you met them at a bar and asked "what do you do for work" and they say "I work for chic fil a", you would respond with "cool" and drink to it.

Just don't get that vibe from any other fast food joint. I have also yet to encounter one that is not immaculately clean and churning out good quality food either. You would have to be a humongous faggot to not like Chic Fil A.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  19. fuck you faggot i eat what i want

• Winner  x 6
    • Like  x 5
    • Agree  x 5
    • DRINK  x 3
    • Feels  x 1
    Dink Smallwood

Dink Smallwood I am the beast I worship

kiwifarms.is
  20. How dare you. Your progressive overlords support gay rights, therefore they're entitled to have you think and act exactly the way they tell you.

• Feels Feels x 4
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.