Humans Will Never Live on An Exoplanet, Nobel Laureate Says. Here's Why. - Michel Mayor in an attempt to ruin your day and your dreams

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
The bigger problem is that most planets suck shit. Mars? Too little gravity to hold a thick atmosphere, never mind the crippling effect of lesser gravity on human bone and muscle. The various moons? Way too little gravity, no atmosphere, radioactive, no magnetosphere to block solar rays. Venus? It's the right gravity but an acidic hellscape. No amount of trying to seed a planet with bacteria or plants or whatever will fix the huge gravity problem if it's the wrong mass. The gas giants? Lol. Even if you tried to build a floating habitat that would stay high enough to not be crushed by their deeper atmosphere, the wind speeds would tear it apart.

Honestly the most feasible thing is to build space stations at fixed orbital points, we could simulate the proper gravity by spinning them, get radiation shielding on them so the sun doesn't microwave everyone inside, have some kind of reflective barrier to keep the temperature down, etc. But that doesn't get us out of the solar system, everyone still dies when the sun goes apeshit. And on a habitat like that, one bad fuckup and everyone dies.

Oskar Dirlewanger

SS-Oberführer of 36th Waffen Grenadier Division
kiwifarms.net
After the incoming civilizational collapse there will be no more easily accessible fossil fuels to jump start another industrial revolution, it was a one time offer and thankfully humanity proved itself unworthy of spreading to the stars. Soon mankind will finally be at peace again where it belong, travesting the steppe on horseback.

Last edited:

SilkGnut

Gnuts of the Finest Silk
kiwifarms.net
We could send people to Mars today. We literally have the technology

It might maybe take us 50 years to be able to fart around in Jupiter

Duh? And?
If it is difficult and time consuming it is not worth doing.

It is why nobody bothered to go to the moon after America showed off their accomplishment. Why else would no other nation even attempt the trip within the last half century?
After the incoming civilizational collapse there will be no more easily accessible fossil fuels to jump start another industrial evolution, it was a one time offer and thankfully humanity proved itself unworthy of spreading to the stars. Soon mankind will finally be at peace again where it belong, travesting the steppe on horseback.
There is plenty of old tech that can be used for electricity. Just because some have found it less profitable to provide alternatives does not mean they do not exist.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
After the incoming civilizational collapse there will be no more easily accessible fossil fuels to jump start another industrial evolution, it was a one time offer and thankfully humanity proved itself unworthy of spreading to the stars. Soon mankind will finally be at peace again where it belong, travesting the steppe on horseback.
Impkying biofuel does not exist

Still Anonymous For This

I've never even been to Vienna.
kiwifarms.net
Old man who made ground-breaking scientific achievement states mankind incapable of ground-breaking scientific achievement.

True general AI is not very far away. We might be another 150 years away from an AI that is capable of truly thinking for itself, without the biological limitations of the human mind. FTL might be incredibly simple to do, but we simply haven't had the "aha" moment yet. An AI that can do 74,000 years worth of human thought in a minute would be able to solve that, climate change, terraforming, gravity, etc, etc.

Or it just might accelerate hot-house Earth in order to kill off all the pesky monkeys that keep fiddling with its off switch.

Uncanny Valley

mad scientist fetish
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Old man who made ground-breaking scientific achievement states mankind incapable of ground-breaking scientific achievement.

True general AI is not very far away. We might be another 150 years away from an AI that is capable of truly thinking for itself, without the biological limitations of the human mind. FTL might be incredibly simple to do, but we simply haven't had the "aha" moment yet. An AI that can do 74,000 years worth of human thought in a minute would be able to solve that, climate change, terraforming, gravity, etc, etc.

Or it just might accelerate hot-house Earth in order to kill off all the pesky monkeys that keep fiddling with its off switch.
Or it might keep us all here for eternity because it loves us that much.

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
Or it might keep us all here for eternity because it loves us that much.
Or because it hates us.

Two Words: Orion Drive.

Take a giant steel plate, put the spaceship on one side of it, then launch a succession of nukes at it and let them kick the spaceship forward. it does leave the problem of how to slow the damn thing down when you get where you want to go. that and those treaties saying no putting nuclear weapons in space.
I picture the elite looking down from their Super Orion at the peasants left on a dying world and laughing about how the peasants obviously don't know how to safely view a nuclear explosion.

Actually, when you think of it looking up a Super Orion launched from the ground would really suck. You'd probably go blind from the UV unless you watched through thick glass and the EMP would kill all your electronics.

If you're close enough to see this, you've got issues

1571524911231.png

From here

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: TerribleIdeas™

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
If it is difficult and time consuming it is not worth doing.

It is why nobody bothered to go to the moon after America showed off their accomplishment. Why else would no other nation even attempt the trip within the last half century?
The moon has Energy resources capable of powering the earth for several centuries

We have only just now had a really good reason to go there

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was hoping it would be some new argument about how humans wouldn't be able to adapt psychologically, or mining resources would be too much power or something new. Instead it's the same old "they're far away". I think everyone already knows they're really far.

I'm kind of against it anyway because I don't think humans should go shit up other places that are untouched. You know that the very first thing that's going to happen is people putting their genitals in the native flora and fauna to see what happens, and figuring out how to destroy anything interesting and turn it into tacky consumer products. The universe doesn't deserve that.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
I think this dude is wrong, as you could just send human embryos and robots to grow them, though we don't currently have the tech to do that.

With our current tech we could send a probe that would get to an exoplanet in a century or so.
Lemme get this out of the way up-front - I, Mother was not an optimistic movie.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but if he is, I hope they name the first extra-planetary colony after this dude as a 'Fuck You'.
I hope they name the least attractive cesspool in the future Imperium of Man after him.

So, we'll never colonize another planet because HOW DARE YOU.
I'm waiting for some rabid SJW to unironically start wailing that space travel is a projection of white supremacist force, and we should actually, collectively, die as a species, rather than let white people off the planet.

Extra points for troon, and jew, naturally.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
Seems very short-sighted to me.

100 years ago no one could have conceived an iphone, we can't conceive what we might have in another 100 years, I wouldn't write anything off.
In the past 150 years mankind has achieved all sorts of "impossible" shit.

Bottom of the ocean ✅
Powered flight ✅
Surface of the moon ✅
Near-instantaneous communication across the globe ✅
Skyscrapers ✅

This idiot can suck humanity's collective nuts.

SilkGnut

Gnuts of the Finest Silk
kiwifarms.net
The moon has Energy resources capable of powering the earth for several centuries

We have only just now had a really good reason to go there
Here's hoping that the conduct between nations towards harvesting those resources is as honorable as the original race.

Considering it has been over half a century now improving on the technology used should not be too difficult if potential profit exists.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino