Is it time the all-white period drama was made extinct? - Give them an inch and they'll steal your ruler

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Easterling

Exceptional Individuals are the deadliest game
kiwifarms.net
If it’s not historically accurate to depict real locations with all-white populations, they shouldn’t be allowed to do it. If it is, they should. Simple.
On one hand you are correct, the best example of a TV show like this is ripper street, set in london in the 1880s it does dedicate episodes to the Indian and chinese popualtions of London, but it does it it a mature and realistic fashion unlike dr who. You didnt get a rainbow of different ethnic groups prancing about in high society fashion back then, the immigrant popualtions in the past were typically poor and including them in any period drama should reflect that and the characters which are the exception to this are typically more intresting and thier story is worth telling because of this.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They don't like period dramas becuase it harkens back to a simpler time when an englishmans home was his castle and when you didnt live in fear of your daughters safety when catching a taxi cab and when the biggest fear of the english mind was several contients away in some far flung colonial rebellion rather than the group of hoods down the street that would happily stab you for a £10 note.
London throughout most recorded history has been an awful place filled with horrible people that would kill you for your shoes, it's just that historically most of the criminal untermensch have been Britons and/or Irish.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
I can understand it for America, but why England?
Modern BBC desperately fetishizes black persecution victim culture and fervently wishes that England had had black slavery like America.

All the rotten shit that England had, that America did away with from the start, none of that oppression matters. It's not black so it doesn't get a legbeard's clit hard it doesn't matter. Also, they give zero fucks about any other imported exotic ethnic minority.

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn’t mention that the reason there were all those black people suddenly showing up in the 18th century is because there was a vogue for black servants among the wealthy.

I mean, if you want to cast race-blind, then do that. I just hate this tiptoeing half-justification of “black people existed in the 17th century, so it’s historically accurate to make the Duke of Norfolk black!”

Absolutego

Burning in the Melting Pot
kiwifarms.net
You see, nobody gives a shit about Africa. They are just aren't that interesting and will probably raise uncomfortable questions about the perpetual stagnancy of this area and the morality of tribe warfare.
There's plenty of interesting shit, both in African history and folklore, that they could adapt, but the people at the BBC and elsewhere supporting this idea that we must crowbar nonwhites into adaptations of European history/folklore almost certainly are unaware of it. They tend to operate from the same colonialist mindset their ancestors once did, but from a perspective of racial guilt instead of superiority.

But that doesn't mean they aren't there. You know what I'd love to see? A story about the rise and fall of the Songhai Empire. Show Sunni Ali conquering the entire Niger River valley with a bunch of West African Mongols. Show the tensions growing in his court as they absorb civilization and bureaucracy from the advanced cities they keep conquering. Show the fight between his son Baru and one of his generals, Askia, to succeed him. Throw in corresponding romantic drama like screenwriters have been able to invent for nearly every drama set in Rome ever, some epic cavalry battles, and flash a titty or two and it'd do gangbusters on streaming. I could convince most people to at least give the concept the 3 episode test over a beer.

I could never convince a television producer it would sell on TV, though, because it lacks the immediate name recognition.

Cyril Sneer

Destroy All Lesbians
kiwifarms.net
There's plenty of interesting shit, both in African history and folklore, that they could adapt, but the people at the BBC and elsewhere supporting this idea that we must crowbar nonwhites into adaptations of European history/folklore almost certainly are unaware of it. They tend to operate from the same colonialist mindset their ancestors once did, but from a perspective of racial guilt instead of superiority.
I would argue that white neo-liberal racial guilt is just a different, and rather more malicious, mindset of superiority, since it hinges, when you get right down to it, on the implicit assumption that white cultures and cultural institutions are so invulnerably superior to anything else on earth that they can withstand any amount of destructive virtue-signalling and retain their hegemony. It's like the symbolic significance of the potlatch among the Indian tribes of the Pacific Northwest: "Look at me! Look how much stuff* I can afford to give away/destroy! Bow before my awesomeness!"

*In the case of the Indians, it would have been Hudson's Bay Co. blankets, steel tools, and so forth; in the case of the racial guilt fetishists, it's the lesser whites who get run down in the Weihnachtsmarkt by truck-driving Jihadis and the like (recall that in the wake of Nidal Hassan's 2009 rampage at Fort Hood, US Army Chief of Staff George Casey opined that the true tragedy of the event was not the 13 unarmed soldiers killed and 30 or more wounded, but rather, a potential loss of "diversity" in the US military).

cecograph

kiwifarms.net
Nowadays, when I catch a TV show with a token ethnic minority in a place that I'd expect to see virtually no ethnic minorities, I'm wondering if it's just us crossing over to a new theatrical convention where non-white people are simply allowed to play white people, like how back in the 16th century, it was assumed that female characters would be played by men. I've already grown up on the convention that all humans in ancient Greece and Rome spoke perfect RP English, except at the battle of Thermopylae, which was led by a Glaswegian, and the other convention that in olden times everyone wore a fuck ton of make-up, and there were no such things as pox scars. It would be cool if in this glorious future, we can finally see a white cunt playing MLK without even having to black up.

Tags
None