Is metal the worst music scene ever? -

Syaoran Li

An Outlaw Forever, Forever An Outlaw
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can anyone find a cow like DragonLord who is a fan of jazz or classical?

Cole Smithey. Typical pretentious hipster douchebag who likes indie, punk, and jazz. Don't know about classical.

What music do you listen to, OP?
Seeing as OP is a pseudo-intellectual faggot, he's probably a fan of punk or he's a fan of indie hipster garbage.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
A lot of metal music is shit, but that applies to any genre. Likewise there are shithead metal fans, but there are shithead fans of any kind of music. And I'd rather be trapped in a lift with 4 metal fans than four Drill fans. At least I won't get robbed/stabbed/shot, the worse the metal fans would do is complain endlessly that other metal fans don't listen to "Real Metal*"

Music that is worse than even the worst kinds of metal includes:

- Punk
- Pop-punk
- Chris de Burgh
- Mumble Rap
- Chart Pop
- Rock from any band formed after about 1998
- "Electro" (aka faggot hipster garbage)
- Dream Pop
- Chris de Burgh
- That fucking whistling/ukelele music beloved of marketing cunts
- Drill
- Gabber
- Jungle/Drum n' Bass
- Hard House
- Bro Country
- Ragga
- Crunkcore
- Landfill Indie (the Strokes and their even less talented imitators)
- Dubstep
- UK Garage/Speed Garage
- Chris de Burgh
- Trance
- Jazz Fusion
- Whatever the fuck Billie Eilish is supposed to be
- Chris de Burgh
- Simply Red
- Chris de Burgh
- Chris de Burgh

*"Real Metal" is a phrase used by metal fans that basically means "the music I personally enjoy listening to".

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
The genre itself is fine, not in my top 5 favorite genres but sometimes I want to listen to some hard stuff.

Worst Fanbases? That's another story entirely

I fucking hate Metal Heads that refuse to actually listen to other music or exclusively one band.

There are greats in literally any genre, there are horrible things in every genre.
And all genres have their horrible fanbases
Indie Folk has hipsters, Country has Rednecks, rap has white trash and thugs, metalheads of Dragonlord, but don't let a fanbase alienate a genre just because you're being autistic about one.
If it wasn't for k-pop retards, I'd be inclined to agree with you. Metal is my favourite genre, but I never once forsake the music I grew up on, which surprises people when I bring them up. Like, no one ever expects me to bring up Chris de Burgh while wearing a Cannibal Corpse shirt.

Erika Furudo

Me an intellectual 🎶
kiwifarms.net
I’d rather deal with metalheads than hipsters.
I like metal, but there is a lot of overalp. It's cringe as fuck seeing people make up genres like "celtic metal" not to be confused with "folk metal" or "viking metal". It's fucking dumb.
I don't care for genrefags either.
You're a fucking retard. Goth rock sounds nothing like metal.
I would unironically rather listen to Slipknot and Marilyn Manson than any death/black metal band. At least those guys actually experienced the things they’re singing about. Whereas the Norwegian black metal scene, for example, was literally just a bunch of twinks in panda makeup reeing about imaginary persecution from Christian and burning down churches because mommy didn’t make them chicken tendies.
It's not all like that, but people twinks who sing about war and violence are indeed cringe as fuck. But those genres cover lots of topics. Death sings about topics ranging from conjoined twins (Together as one) to the death of privacy (1000 eyes).

At least metal is less fake than pop, which is ghost written by a few people. I'm not a fan of punk or pop-punk but The Kids Arent Allright by Offspring has aged pretty damn well imo.

Also the only punk band I respect are Ramones because some of their songs would never be allowed on the radio

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
What music do you listen to, OP?
I'll listen to some of almost anything as long as it isn't horrid or populated by horrid fanbases - I'm not a huge music fan or collector.

Lately, I mainly listen to blues, soul, jazz, classical, electronica; some classic rock/metal.

(Not all "metal music" is completely bad, but as a "scene" I think it's probably one of the worst there is - I have similar opinion to "scenes" centered around other topics like Sonic the Hedgehog which have a reputation for having a terrible fanbase even if the music/game whatever is just viewed completely objectively, it isn't always completely horrible).

Don't care for punk / pop punk or "indie" as a so-called genre (as opposed to just "indie" in the sense of local/non-mainstream music which doesn't do well enough on the charts to become "mainstream"). Rap / contemporary R&B I'm extremely picky about, since a lot of it is very banal - at least as far as Top 100 / mass marketing goes. Not a fan of most mainstream country (a few artists like Johnny Cash I do like), or most mainstream/contemporary religious music (if the subject matter isn't at least slightly original).

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Techno, Remixing, Dubstep, Acoustic Guitar Wankers/Breathy Piano Bitches and Modern Rap all exist.

Liber Pater

Level 2 Afghan Woman Respecter
kiwifarms.net
What do you mean by "Metal" OP?

Power metal?

Thrash?

Symphonic Black Metal?

Technical Metal?

There is no one genre called Metal.

Oh no, the lead guitarist has a distortion pedal. That means it's "edgy". Never mind that metal composition draws more from classical music than from any other genre.

Good post, but it only includes one variety of black metal. The black metal world is very diverse (like metal as a whole). It definitely has its share of edgy tryhards and degenerates, but it also does have subgenres like NSBM and pagan black metal which are more connected to European heritage and transcendent worldviews than the exhausted nihilism commonly associated with black metal.
You are right to point out the influence of classical music on metal and I think you can draw a direct line from Romanticist composers of the 19th century (especially Wagner) and the dynamic, evocative, tremulent, wall-like sounds of black metal.
Thematically, these artistic movements also share a preoccupation with the nocturnal, mystical (even occult), fantastical, and natural.
Finally, black metal (particularly NSBM) is often heavily rooted in ancient European myth, history, and worldviews and strongly rejects today's conventional (((egalitarian))) value systems.
This article includes some dicussion of said metapolitical/philosophical aspects of black metal in the context of the author's experience at Asgardsrei (probably the world's greatest annual black metal concert) in 2017 and the associated 2017 Pact of Steel Conference.
All of the impulses and philosophies that both precede and stem from this undercurrent are very reminiscent of the resurgence of interest in European heritage and ancient myths (as well as the ardent nationalism and rebellion against contemporary convention) that accompanied the late Romanticist period.

Last edited:

The Fraggle Queen

Turns out Doozers explode when you fuck them.
kiwifarms.net
As a metal fan, I can confirm the community’s a bit icky, really depends what kinda metal you’re into though. Nu metal (slipknot, Korn, limp bizkit etc.) is hit or miss, I’ve had both good and bad experiences at slipknot shows. Black metal fans seem to be pretty lovely though.
I think it’s just the assholes of the scene who give the more normal, moderate majority a bad name.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
The only bad thing I can say about the metal scene today is the policing going on from the tourists. The crying about Nazis in black metal, Metalcucks, etc. It's spawned a lot of reactionary bands with themes focusing on communism, anarchism, or trans right faggotry, but they all suck and you can tell these guys were worshipping Burzum before they got pozzed.

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
The only bad thing I can say about the metal scene today is the policing going on from the tourists. The crying about Nazis in black metal, Metalcucks, etc. It's spawned a lot of reactionary bands with themes focusing on communism, anarchism, or trans right faggotry, but they all suck and you can tell these guys were worshipping Burzum before they got pozzed.
Burzum is good in its own right as music.

Anyone who gets weird about "muh messaging" in music is taking that shit way too serious. Why would you look for deep philosophy in so much of that shit?

No Exit

From The Corner
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Nu-metal scene was pretty cringe, and the doom metal (not DOOM metal) scene was pretty gay but compared to most of the pop-star/boy band fan bases it's not that bad.
The only point I'll agree on (and even then I've met cool, chill metalheads) is:
I've encountered who is obsessively into metal is usually a socially-retarded, dangerhaired ugly loser, probably a virgin/incel by the age of 30, borderline autistic - with plenty of crossover between metal fagdom and other degenerate subcultures like Brony/anime/SJW/pol/sexual deviant fandom as well.
But to be fair the internet has pretty much ruined all scenes, music and otherwise. At this point it's easy to find the same kind of people in pretty much any fandom.

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
The Nu-metal scene was pretty cringe
A music scene that represents the very notion of never growing out of edgy adolescence is bound to be cringy as fuck. The amount of nu-metal that I can honestly say I enjoy listening to is significantly lower than most other genres. Some tunes happen to be real bangers, but they seem to be exceptions to the rule.

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
The Nu-metal scene was pretty cringe, and the doom metal (not DOOM metal) scene was pretty gay but compared to most of the pop-star/boy band fan bases it's not that bad.
The only point I'll agree on (and even then I've met cool, chill metalheads) is:

But to be fair the internet has pretty much ruined all scenes, music and otherwise. At this point it's easy to find the same kind of people in pretty much any fandom.
Doom metal was better before it was commandeered by potheads

SuperConglomerateWhale

MY BIKE!
kiwifarms.net
A lot of metal music is shit, but that applies to any genre. Likewise there are shithead metal fans, but there are shithead fans of any kind of music. And I'd rather be trapped in a lift with 4 metal fans than four Drill fans. At least I won't get robbed/stabbed/shot, the worse the metal fans would do is complain endlessly that other metal fans don't listen to "Real Metal*"

Music that is worse than even the worst kinds of metal includes:

- Punk
- Pop-punk
- Chris de Burgh
- Mumble Rap
- Chart Pop
- Rock from any band formed after about 1998
- "Electro" (aka faggot hipster garbage)
- Dream Pop
- Chris de Burgh
- That fucking whistling/ukelele music beloved of marketing cunts
- Drill
- Gabber
- Jungle/Drum n' Bass
- Hard House
- Bro Country
- Ragga
- Crunkcore
- Landfill Indie (the Strokes and their even less talented imitators)
- Dubstep
- UK Garage/Speed Garage
- Chris de Burgh
- Trance
- Jazz Fusion
- Whatever the fuck Billie Eilish is supposed to be
- Chris de Burgh
- Simply Red
- Chris de Burgh
- Chris de Burgh

*"Real Metal" is a phrase used by metal fans that basically means "the music I personally enjoy listening to".
I’m not sure if the metal fans here are really apart of the “scene” but I’m not into it. I love metal and I listen to a wide variety of bands but the scene itself is something I cannot be apart of because it’s gatekeeped by the politisperg faggots that say Sabaton and Rammstein are fronts for the Fourth Reich and the resurrection of Hitler, Lord of all Lords.
As a metal fan, I can confirm the community’s a bit icky, really depends what kinda metal you’re into though. Nu metal (slipknot, Korn, limp bizkit etc.) is hit or miss, I’ve had both good and bad experiences at slipknot shows. Black metal fans seem to be pretty lovely though.
I think it’s just the assholes of the scene who give the more normal, moderate majority a bad name.
The scene assholes have become the face of the genre and it’s how outsiders will view the genre and the community. I also see sometimes that punks will also slip their way in and corrupt everything and make metalheads look even worse because they teach impressionable scene kids their autistic shit. I despise it but they outnumber us as gatekeepers.
I don’t care what your political views are I just want to be able to go see a band and enjoy the music but it is very very hard to enjoy it live these days, at least in my area.