Is metal the worst music scene ever? -

talk sh1t

Was the NPC all along
kiwifarms.net
Metal cannot be the worst music scene because hardcore punk and K-Pop still exist.

What do you mean with "hardcore punk", though? I used to think it referred to a specific style (basically the '80es NYHC Yo Vinnie Yo We're All In It Slammin' Together sound), which I don't dig at all, but recently I've seen it used for all kinds of bands that sound very different.

Also to stay on topic, there isn't a type of music that doesn't have annoying or insufferable fans. There will always be the boneheads that think liking their favorite genre makes them better than everyone else for reason X. "Adult" genres like jazz or whatever period of classical music are no exception.

Syaoran Li

An Outlaw Forever, Forever An Outlaw
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What do you mean with "hardcore punk", though? I used to think it referred to a specific style (basically the '80es NYHC Yo Vinnie Yo We're All In It Slammin' Together sound), which I don't dig at all, but recently I've seen it used for all kinds of bands that sound very different.

Also to stay on topic, there isn't a type of music that doesn't have annoying or insufferable fans. There will always be the boneheads that think liking their favorite genre makes them better than everyone else for reason X. "Adult" genres like jazz or whatever period of classical music are no exception.

By "hardcore punk", I mean any of the artists considered to be "real punk" by the punk subculture. Might not be an accurate definition in the textbook sense of the word but the punk scene is hands down the most pretentious, insufferable, and pseudo-intellectual music scene I've ever had the displeasure of encountering.

Even jazz fans are less pretentious, smug, and arty than punks.

All punks are bastards and the only good things that came out of that wretched scene were New Wave, some of the early goth rock acts of the 80's, and arguably thrash metal.

Personally, I've never met anyone in the punk scene who also wasn't a pretentious artsy pseudo-intellectual bastard.

Harlay de Champvallon

Archevêque de Paris, Duc de Saint-Cloud
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Metal is one of the broadest genres there is. Sure, some of it might be edgy garbage (e.g Slipknot, Marilyn Manson) but there are hundreds of other examples which produce great music.

tl;dr: OP is a faggot
OP is always a faggot and jannies are trannies, but I agree. It's beyond vast. Even stupid stuff is okay if played well.

BingBong

Living ghost, leaves no trace.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
By "hardcore punk", I mean any of the artists considered to be "real punk" by the punk subculture. Might not be an accurate definition in the textbook sense of the word but the punk scene is hands down the most pretentious, insufferable, and pseudo-intellectual music scene I've ever had the displeasure of encountering.

All punks are bastards and the only good things that came out of that wretched scene were New Wave, some of the early goth rock acts of the 80's, and arguably thrash metal.

Personally, I've never met anyone in the punk scene who also wasn't a pretentious artsy pseudo-intellectual bastard.
well I agree a lot of punk is gay af, I can't not love The Misfits.

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net
What do you mean by "Metal" OP?

Power metal?

Thrash?

Symphonic Black Metal?

Technical Metal?

There is no one genre called Metal.

Oh no, the lead guitarist has a distortion pedal. That means it's "edgy". Never mind that metal composition draws more from classical music than from any other genre.

Sounds like he's talking about nu-metal. Shit like "Crawling" by Linkin Park.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Metal is still cool, even if like everything it was better like 15 years ago when mallcore kids and scene kids got swirlies and no one gave a shit about Nazis or commies as long as they didn't cause trouble at the show (that was after the show). It seems like the kvlt metalhead with the long hair and vest with the patches who dominated the scene and told you that your favorite metal was shit doesn't exist anymore, or have lost their edge and now cries about Nazis or commies. Metal-Archives is a great example, just check their site back in the early-mid 2000s compared to now where the administrators and jannies are all ResetEra posters (or literally moderators there) and they've purged all wrongthink (except for still telling you about new NSBM bands). Sure they were pretentious, but there's something admirable about the "classic" metalhead with how he doesn't give a fuck that he doesn't fit in with society, doesn't give a fuck about politics (he hates the system and personally might be a fascist or commie, but won't identify with either group because that's conformist shit), and judges people by their skills (just as he judges the music he listens to).

I'm sure I just have ideal memories about what things used to be when I was a teenager and really into that scene shit, but there's a kernal of truth to what I'm saying.

Poppavalyim Andropoff

Pussy Destroyer
kiwifarms.net

You try real hard. It’s cute. Keep it up. You’ll do well & go far 🙄

Pretty much every person I've encountered who is obsessively into metal is usually a socially-retarded....
that's the "obsessively" part - there's a website that's great for watching obsessive freaks. It's called kiwifarms, check it out sometime
You don't see this with any real genre of music like jazz, classical, opera, choral and so forth,
except for jazz, classical, opera, choral and so forth
from maynard krebs to classical music freaks being the original "longhairs",to some ICM ponytail boy,to my neighbor practicing his operatic solo, to johnny EDM-freak on an MDMA comedown , to a pomaded pompadour rockabilly wannabe 70 years out of date..

douchebaggery united douchebags, that's the common trait

Last edited:

Poppavalyim Andropoff

Pussy Destroyer
kiwifarms.net
Butthurt punk detected. Way to prove me wrong on the "all punks are smug assholes" statement!

Don't you have some Crass albums to listen to?
Still trying. Still failing miserably. Yeah nah you’re good for a giggle but batshit boring really. You do certainly exemplify the old adage of some people being so far behind in the race they actually think they’re winning 😂🤦‍♂️

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I understand the reason for the OP's confusion. This ancient meme explains it.

1619041285905.png

Windmill

What have YOU done to curb emissions?
kiwifarms.net
It's almost as if all communities (musical or otherwise) have their share of obnoxious assholes...

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
well I agree a lot of punk is gay af, I can't not love The Misfits.
Graves era Misfits is pretty fun. The entire point of music is to be fun in some way. The whole "this is super serious and deep" shit is something most people grow out of by early adulthood, and the only thing dumber than tryhard musicians are tryhard fans. Angst and misery aren't fun, Sturm und Drang as a fashion just makes you look like a pretentious miserable person.