Is metal the worst music scene ever? -

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
The shittier the music is the more gatekeeping that community practices, as if they are overcompensating for lack of talent or good qualities.

Like with the black metal and Punk, when a band starts figuring out how to sound competent at playing instruments and composing a song they are inmediatly labelled as fake and sellouts.

Nah. Metalheads can be pretentious twats or faggy edgelords at times, but I still don’t see them as bad as the rap/hip hop scene.
Hipsters acting all intellectual overanalizing shitty trap songs made by inbred niggers is really hard to top in the faggotry scale.

Occam's Spork

kiwifarms.net
Metal as a music subculture can be pretty damn cancerous and lame, I agree. The same is true of all music subcultures. A lot of people just take music far too seriously.

Metal music is really broad, so I can't really say the scene itself is really the source of the issues that OP (fag) takes exception to.

Any music fandom is going to eventually typify the worst elements, because they are always the ones that shriek the most.

I've listened to metal for years, and it's largely a mixed bag. Anyone trying to tell you that the metal band you like is lame/gay/whatever you can laugh at freely, because music is so subjective that it simply doesn't matter. I'll drive around and listen to Nokturnal Mortum and the next thing on the playlist might be Aretha Franklin, Alice in chains, or Herbie Mann. Or some weird shit like bassnectar or Indonesian folk music.

Music is music. Enjoy it, don't try to police it.

nekrataal

Dimensional merge survival guide.
kiwifarms.net
The ghost show community has made me really dislike a lot of metal fans, more in particular the ones who hate everything that isn’t metal and try to write it off as whatever. I wouldn’t say that metal is bad, I just don’t like those types because they’re also the kind of tools that fly off the handle and rails over the dumbest little things and act like angsty edgelords.

My world my rules

kiwifarms.net
I would say it's not very good, and sort of gatekeepy. But that can be applied to every genre fandom, some are just alot more loud about it than others. Such as K-Pop and perhaps metal, but it's not anywhere the worst IMO.

Megaroad 2012

I'M FACE FULL OF FLOOR AND LIFE SUCKS!
kiwifarms.net
Nothings worse than metal heads that are all about the posture and labels. The identity that they think comes with the music.

For being all about rebelling against authority, these types are sure about conforming to some image while having insanely narrow tastes in the genre (Gojira has become code word to me for "I think I'm smart and will tell you how smart I am." Not hating on the band.)

Windmill

What have YOU done to curb emissions?
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the time people say "gatekeeping is quality control". I'd agree to an extent.

Last edited:

TransylvanianPZ

kiwifarms.net
This is not some crazy bombshell opinion but I think the main problem w most of the metal community is that they kind o fare just obsessed with the past. They almost always seem to consider most new bands taht don't sound like they are from 20-30 years ago as not "real metal" this is most seen with those Black Metal types.

Blue Screen of Death

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy listening to metal, but I'm very aware that the people in the scene are all fucking dreadful.
It's all about staying as far away from "metal fans" or "metalheads" as you possibly can.

VIVIsectVI

Life is short. Death is forever.
kiwifarms.net
In some ways, yes. It can be intensely, absurdly insular and idiotic. Ignorant. I've noticed a tendency to dismiss other genres of music simply for not being metal. Purists and gatekeepers abound, and I generally haven't cared for most other metal fans I've met because, well, they're fucking imbeciles. I like a lot of black metal, for example, but can't stand most of its fans.

Bezmenov

отвали пизда
kiwifarms.net
Soundcloud Rap has metal beat by a country mile, easily the shittiest genre with the worst fans and worst lifestyle possible. Metal as a broad term isn't the worst; there are some dumbass fans yes but there's more to choose from and narrow down the good stuff.

Also Heavy Metal Parking Lot exists and that's enough to elevate metal up a few notches at least.

Megaroad 2012

I'M FACE FULL OF FLOOR AND LIFE SUCKS!
kiwifarms.net
This is not some crazy bombshell opinion but I think the main problem w most of the metal community is that they kind o fare just obsessed with the past. They almost always seem to consider most new bands taht don't sound like they are from 20-30 years ago as not "real metal" this is most seen with those Black Metal types.
I get this mindset when you're in your teens, I embarrassingly enough was like this, but it's just limiting to think this way and you miss out on so much.

This also applies to any older band that continues to release new solid to great new material and first reviews "ITS NOT RUST IN PEACE/PRACTICE WHAT U PREACH/MASTER OF PUPPETS" like no shit, they made those 30 years ago and want to make new things.

My personal reason though iirc was more retarded in that it took me a long time to get used to the sound of digital recordings.

Someone gave me whatever popular Avenge Sevenfold album was out at the time (City of Evil???) and the tin can sounds of the drums killed it for me. I can listen to anything now a days but that flat soulless sound of the early 00s was brutal for me.