Is the SJW movement dying? -

Wulfpack Legend

Praise be to Ormagöden
kiwifarms.net
As much as I would like that to happen it seems as if they always double down. Especially in Hollywood and there's no stopping in education and media. I wouldn't mind this movement as much if it didn't hijack a lot of my hobbies (video games, comics, movies, etc.)

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Another thing to consider is nuance. What we see as PC today might be offensive to the next generation of "SJWs" so it will be a rinse and repeat, as today's "SJWs" could be tomorrow's Nazis.
Sometimes last Thursday's SJW is today's Nazi. All it takes is a single misstep and failing to keep up with the ever changing autism.

Agent Wet

Trash
kiwifarms.net
Another thing to consider is nuance. What we see as PC today might be offensive to the next generation of "SJWs" so it will be a rinse and repeat, as today's "SJWs" could be tomorrow's Nazis.
Personallity maybe on one hand it's obvious people are tried of the culture wars bs and along with how the pandemic is effecting alot of companies to the point of scaling back and how it seems like stuff that would ruin people's lives like canceling someone are a lot less successful and a few companies have some success despite the back lash yea. But, on the other hand plenty of people and companies are still doubling down no matter what along with how some companies still think social media is the center of the world . I think they likely would be slowly shove way as the 2020s move on probably not out right gone but to the point people will out right don't care. Even if the SJW mindset is gone the same way that the reigious right was during the mid 90s - 2000s I imagine that political correctness mindset will manfest into something else.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When identity politics does finally fade away, good riddance.

I am so tired of things previously OK becoming "problematic." If this crap drags on, who knows what stuff that's harmless now will be "called out" as some kind of "discrimination" in the future?
Identity politics will always be a thing. In 1920 the Americans banned alcohol because they hated Germans. In the 1720s the British ruling class manipulated the mob to target Irish workers. In 50 BC Pompey terrified Rome by suggesting that Caesar would give Gauls (Romanized settlers in Gaul) seats in the senate. In 2000 BC a bunch of semites cut off the tips of their penises to distinguish themselves as the toughest mountain bandits.

Always hating on a group to create pride and focusing on random nonsense.

Liberals.png

Basically.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Identity politics will always be a thing.
I think there's a difference between the examples from history you mention, and demonizing liking the exotic as "exotification," or seeing asking someone of Asian descent where their ancestry is from as a "microaggression." Current Year identity politics is like a fanatical cult that's all about dividing and controlling.

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
kiwifarms.net
Many were either too young or mentally ill to guide their movement. They'd get mad over a white chicks wearing braids, mis-gendering low effort trans-sexuals (very obvious'' troons'') and some girl showing up to her prom in a Chinese kimono. Most of their outage was entirely on social media or on campuses. This was a movement of very poor organization and no proper momentum. Why was the SJW's when it came to child poverty, senior poverty or sexual assaults on disabled women in long term care homes (an actual epidemic)?
Covid-19 killed SJWism, we are now in a pandemic and recession, with a surveillance state and WW3 looming.

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
kiwifarms.net
or seeing asking someone of Asian descent where their ancestry is from as a "microaggression."
The first, and so far only, SJW (classic dangerhair antifag troon) I ever met in real life was Asian Indian and when we first met she asked me if I was Indian too. She also said she was constantly afraid of racists and "transphobes" but also she said she'd never go back to India due to sexism and homophobia. Besides that, she was an okay person, though.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Moral movements in America have always collapsed. It isn't a matter of if, but when. It's pretty hard to predict when, as the religious right basically imploded over night.

But I think the Social Justice movement it's at its apex right now, so soon it will go backwards. The louder and more obvious a moral movement is, the more ineffective it becomes. What was once subtle is now obvious for everyone to see. They only become more angrier and more arrogant and have to resort to fear to enforce their morality, much like the religious right did.

Once fear is no longer effective, the movement collapses because there is nothing keeping it in line. The next step after fear would be violence, but it's never come to that with a moral movement in America.

The thing to really watch out for if you want to predict when it will die out is the death of MeToo and cancel culture. These are the two biggest fear driving factors of the idpol movement. Once they lose fear, they've lost the game.

So just watch. The less the fear of the mob and ideology, the closer the movement is to collapse.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Moral movements in America have always collapsed. It isn't a matter of if, but when. It's pretty hard to predict when, as the religious right basically imploded over night.

But I think the Social Justice movement it's at its apex right now, so soon it will go backwards. The louder and more obvious a moral movement is, the more ineffective it becomes. What was once subtle is now obvious for everyone to see. They only become more angrier and more arrogant and have to resort to fear to enforce their morality, much like the religious right did.

Once fear is no longer effective, the movement collapses because there is nothing keeping it in line. The next step after fear would be violence, but it's never come to that with a moral movement in America.

The thing to really watch out for if you want to predict when it will die out is the death of MeToo and cancel culture. These are the two biggest fear driving factors of the idpol movement. Once they lose fear, they've lost the game.

So just watch. The less the fear of the mob and ideology, the closer the movement is to collapse.
This is pretty much spot on, and I think we're getting closer to the demise of the SJW movement than a lot of the doomers on here think.

The MeToo movement and cancel culture are the underpinnings of the movement right now, and throughout 2019 and 2020, we've been seeing a pushback against it and it's been slowly but surely building.

The Weeb Wars is probably one of the earliest examples of a concerted and even semi-effective push back and while we're still waiting on the outcome of the appeals thanks to Chupp being an incompetent boomer, the fact that Vic even fought back at all and did so in a way where Twitter outrage meant jack shit was a shock in and of itself.

The Covington boys also took legal action and have already been awarded massive settlements, and even ProJared of all people successfully managed to bounce back somewhat after his trash fire of a scandal.

But I think the real coup de grace for MeToo is the ongoing scandals involving Joe Biden and the outright blatant hypocrisy and double-standards regarding Biden's conduct. The fact that Time's Up and several feminist talking heads on Twitter outright refused to support Tara Reade because "Orange Man Bad" is very damning and it's the kind of hypocrisy so obvious that it's impossible to ignore no matter how much the media tries to cover it up.

If Trump can win 2020, I think that will be the kick in the balls that lets the DNC know that 2016 was not a fluke and a lot of the corporations will realize pushing the woke agenda isn't going to get them anywhere, either in terms of profits or influence.

Even trivial culture war bullshit like the controversies over Joker provide evidence that SJW shit is at least weakening.

They demonized that movie to no end, and despite the dreaded R rating and the smear campaigns against it, it still was a smash success and made over a billion at the box office, and was an acclaimed hit.

The average moviegoer didn't give a shit what pretentious bearded widemouth bugmen, woke punk dangerhairs, and annoying trannies on Twitter thought, they just wanted to see a good movie, and that's what they did.

Feel free to bombard me with rainbows, puzzle pieces, and trashcans for saying this, but you can see it all around you. SJW culture is either entering a state of decline or it's at the final peak just before the decline sinks in.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Economic disaster usually strengthens crazy movements. Esoteric bullshit exploded in the 1930s.
This is true, since both communism and fascism gained ground in the 1920's and 1930's because of the aftermath of World War I and the Great Depression, and it can be said that a lot of the more extreme political and cultural movements of the later 20th Century and early 21st Century can be traced back to the political and economic unrest of the 1960's and 1970's.

Aside from the obvious groups like the hippies, the New Left, and the New Age communities, that era also was responsible for the rise of the Religious Right and the militia movement, the former of which was essentially a counter-movement that emerged as a backlash against the excesses of the New Left and countercultures of the 60's and 70's.

The SJW's got their start as a backlash against the Religious Right and were strengthened by a lot of other factors, both economic and academic.

However, a lot of the SJW's success was during a time of relative economic prosperity. While the movement really got going because of the Great Recession and Occupy Wall Street, it didn't start to really gain ground until 2014-2015, when the economy was not only stabilized but also started to visibly improve for the common man.

Their peak years of strength from 2016-2019 have been during an economic boom that was shut down by an unforeseen pandemic, and a lot of that infrastructure that underpinned the SJW's success is now threatened by the global economic meltdown.

If there's any time for the equal and opposite reaction to this insanity to emerge, it's going to hit the ground running in the near future. We're already seeing the start of it, and some of the early telltale signs happened in 2019, before the pandemic.

Much like the rise of the SJW's and "Current Year", or the rise of the Religious Right in the 80's and 90's, the demise of woke culture is the kind of thing that happens very slowly and then all at once.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Their peak years of strength from 2016-2019 have been during an economic boom that was shut down by an unforeseen pandemic, and a lot of that infrastructure that underpinned the SJW's success is now threatened by the global economic meltdown.
I disagree, because economic prosperity for the common man (or the other 55 genders) never underpinned SJWism. We're living in a ghost ship culture, where cultural institutions and internet platforms are controlled by a relative handful of rich weirdos hiring an army of destitute weirdos to astroturf.
The rich are doing fine, just as they always do. And the destitute mentally ill bloggers are destitute, just as they always are. The pandemic won't change this, except possibly to swell the ranks of the latter.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Syaoran Li

jorgoth

kiwifarms.net
Maybe if the USA gets nuked. Revolutions generally don't work unless the country in question got its ass kicked in war recently.

Also, I think there are signs of the beginning of the end for SJW-ism in pop culture and information technology.

First, there are the cancellations of SJW comic books partly as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown. Comic books in recent years have been the trend-setter for the entertainment industry generally.

Then there are the signs of conflict between the Disney higher-ups and Kathleen Kennedy's little coven.

Then there's the otherkin deer faggot everyone thought Twitch made a mod who was bragging about how much he was going to mess with gamers and then Twitch basically said that he's a nobody with no power.

Then there's Google dropping its "diversity" programs and James D'amore dropping his lawsuit around the same time.

Then there's Anita Sarkeesian's foundation losing money hand over fist for the last 3 years, and still failing to produce an annual financial report for 2019 even now.

They're getting kicked out of the few industries that would support them, if that isn't the beginning of the end, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
It has been mentioned on the Chapotraphouse podcast a couple of times recently, that all the noise about identity politics didn't amount for shit and it never actually mattered. So there's the "dirt bag left" at least saying that taking about the 'gender of the Coronavirus' is nonsense.

Wonderful Id

kiwifarms.net
I would love for it to be, but the biggest issue impeding that is the internet. With everyone having a voice and now and the companies in charge of the major platforms biased toward the SJW voice, it's going to be harder and harder to finish off the movement since it can always grow another head and amplify the message. We have been seeing some improvements here and there (things that were once sacred to the modern left being left behind by everyone else and "sure fire" liberal successes failing), but the upcoming election will change many things about the world, including the future of sjwism.

If Trump wins, we'll either see a large number of people finally and openly abandon the modern left, with corporations pandering to the right...or the left will triple down and the SJWmindset will strengthen over the next four years.
If Trump loses, we'll either see the the right regroup/refocus and strengthen in a way that the left has been over the past few years...or it might be the death knell of modern conservatism.

Either way, this continues to be an interesting year.

Tags
None