Careercow Jim Sterling / James "Stephanie" Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Wally Balljacker

Nothing positively contributional.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is why I jumped ship to YongYea's content some time ago, because Yong covers the exact same subjects as Jim - even right down to the constant "crunch is bad" stuff - but without all the autistic action figure skit humor that we all left behind in the TGWTG era of the internet. Would you rather get "Activision did a bad, and here's what went down", or Jim's "Activision did a bad, here's a montage of me dancing to stock music, weird mask fetish stuff, Family Guy cutaway gags, and THANK GOD FOR ME (Now THAT'S punk! ~blues riff~)"?

What amazes me most about this is that if you listen to Jim's podcasts over the years, he has that shy introvert mentality where all his embarrassing shit keeps him up at night, but while most people move on from that, he doubles down on everything he's self conscious about. He may whine and flail like an autistic fish all he wants, but deep down inside, he knows that it's his fault for jumping out of the water to begin with, and even more his fault for continuing to breathe air out of spite that it's killing him.

Last edited:

Malaika

kiwifarms.net
I also think that current gaming youtube is experiencing a shift away from the jaded and cynical "REEE MICROTRANSACTIONS" videos Jim got popular with. It might just be the people I watch but lately I've been seeing a lot more positive lets play and review type videos, and if they're negative it's usually more of a light hearted comedic tone. Maybe people have just gotten tired of being angry about everything, but if so Jim is fucked because I don't think he's capable of being positive.
You're right. I think videos that point out the flaws of games or scumbaggery of companies still do well but you have to tread new ground or go into some detail. Jim denies it but his content is incredibly lazy. 80% of it is interchangeable between his other video's while maybe the remaining 20% goes into the specific subject, and I'm being generous.

The truth that he's not willing to admit is that his content is low-effort and is done better by younger and more charismatic people. And also that most of his videos are just a platform now for him to shove his unresearched politics into people's faces.

Last edited:

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
When Jim says that YouTube is a notoriously transphobic platform, is he referring to the users or the company itself. If it’s the latter, I have a hard time accepting that a gigantic tech company, a sector that is widely woke, would hold such views.
I see LGBT creators claim that YouTube is an anti LGBT platform for allowing some anti LGBT videos and comments to exist on their site and not letting things like sex toy reviews, sexual discussion, and female breasts be monetized despite YouTube's outward support of and making rules protecting LGBT people. There was that lawsuit by LGBT creators a few years back cuz of the latter.

Last edited:

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
You're right. I think videos that point out the flaws of games or scumbaggery of companies still do well but you have to tread new ground or go into some detail. Jim denies it but his content is incredibly lazy. 80% of it is interchangeable between his other video's while maybe the remaining 20% goes into the specific subject, and I'm being generous.
A good example of this would be Matt McMuscles' 'Wha Happun' series, where crunch is a recurring theme in almost every video, but it's baked into an over-arching deep dive into how various video game productions went horribly wrong. Plus, instead of being a whiny douchebag about it, Matt turns it into a joke and uses Captain Crunch ads to introduce the topic.

I know a lot of people hate Matt these days for doing the Super Best Friends dirty like he did, but I still think his Wha Happun show is one of the best vidya-related things on YouTube currently, and a great example of how to take industry contreversy and make it entertaining. See also: Internet Historian's amazing videos on Fall Out 76 and No Man's Sky.

Druveer

kiwifarms.net
Screenshot(17).png

LOL Cope and dilate.

Vanquished Phoenix

"A cat after my own heart." - Mike Pence
kiwifarms.net
You started actually watching his videos on Youtube after he 'transitioned'?
No, I've always watched his videos. He used to be entertaining, but he has been on the decline for a long-time. He has always been a freak, he has often been a freak in a wig with makeup, the only differences are that he insists this is the real him instead of a character, and that the quality of the show has declined significantly.

I also think that current gaming youtube is experiencing a shift away from the jaded and cynical "REEE MICROTRANSACTIONS" videos Jim got popular with. It might just be the people I watch but lately I've been seeing a lot more positive lets play and review type videos, and if they're negative it's usually more of a light hearted comedic tone. Maybe people have just gotten tired of being angry about everything, but if so Jim is fucked because I don't think he's capable of being positive.

Yeah I definitely agree. Unless you're comedic about it like Zero Punctuation, I think people are sick of the nihilistic bitching and doomering. They either want news, entertainment or something unique, like Digital Foundry's deep dives, Modern Vintage Gamer's programming videos or Ahoy's documentaries.

We know microtransactions and similar predatory bullshit sucks but the reality is there is way more to enjoy in video games today than there is to be angry about, and unfortunately that is all Jim knows how to do.

This is it exactly. He used to make genuine points with comedy thrown in. Then it was the same point again, and again, but with less comedy and more impotent rage. Konami want to make pachinko machines, EA are firing teams, CD Projekt Red are doing the crunch, Ubisoft are raping people, Blizzard have microtransactions. We know. Other than boycotts which are ineffective, there is nothing that can realistically be done. And his tone is often accusatory towards the audience, as if they are complicit. People get sick of it, especially when alternatives are more entertaining, more informative, or have a better presentation or focus than he offers.

Last edited:

Vanquished Phoenix

"A cat after my own heart." - Mike Pence
kiwifarms.net
This is why I jumped ship to YongYea's content some time ago, because Yong covers the exact same subjects as Jim - even right down to the constant "crunch is bad" stuff - but without all the autistic action figure skit humor that we all left behind in the TGWTG era of the internet.

Yong "What You Need Is 3x Speed" Yea bores the crap out of me, but at least he keeps it strictly about the topic and doesn't make it about his own indulgences. Since it is just regurgitating industry news in a digestible audio-visual form, there are no end to people who do it in a way that appeals more to Jim's audience than he does right now.

Also, there is some kind of curse where if a channel starts to cover wrestling they begin to decline. Spoony, PPP, Jim Sterling are the 3 examples that come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are others.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
A good example of this would be Matt McMuscles' 'Wha Happun' series, where crunch is a recurring theme in almost every video, but it's baked into an over-arching deep dive into how various video game productions went horribly wrong. Plus, instead of being a whiny douchebag about it, Matt turns it into a joke and uses Captain Crunch ads to introduce the topic.

I know a lot of people hate Matt these days for doing the Super Best Friends dirty like he did, but I still think his Wha Happun show is one of the best vidya-related things on YouTube currently, and a great example of how to take industry contreversy and make it entertaining. See also: Internet Historian's amazing videos on Fall Out 76 and No Man's Sky.
Honestly, I'd disagree on Matt's Wha Happun vids being good, most of his videos aren't entertaining due to the mofo's voice sounding very dry and him lacking charisma, while the other issue is Matt's brand of humor can get annoying at times. I'd say GVMERS do a better job, while they aren't throwing jokes they do cover stories of canceled projects or the "Rise&Fall" of certain game series in a much more interesting fashion.

Blamo

kiwifarms.net
When Jim says that YouTube is a notoriously transphobic platform, is he referring to the users or the company itself. If it’s the latter, I have a hard time accepting that a gigantic tech company, a sector that is widely woke, would hold such views.
The only real identity troons really have is being "oppressed" by people not playing along with their larp. The endless need for being acknowledged by everybody around them. That is a reason they make everything about them and push their nonsense on others until somebody messes up and then they can run to their social media social network.

Basically narcissism.

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I'd disagree on Matt's Wha Happun vids being good, most of his videos aren't entertaining due to the mofo's voice sounding very dry and him lacking charisma, while the other issue is Matt's brand of humor can get annoying at times. I'd say GVMERS do a better job, while they aren't throwing jokes they do cover stories of canceled projects or the "Rise&Fall" of certain game series in a much more interesting fashion.
I guess it's a subjective thing. Matt's voice doesn't really bother me, (at least not to the point it detracts from everything else in the videos,) but it is the only content I watch on his channel because yeah he doesn't really have the charisma of someone like Critikal who can make any old shit entertaining. I think that's probably why he worked better when he was being the foil to Pat's indignant rage or Woolie's excitement.

I don't think it can be denied, though, that his Wha Happun videos are well researched and produced, so even if he doesn't have the radio voice of Ahoy or Metokur I still find them really interesting, and they remain a country mile beyond anything Jimbolina shits out.

Cardenio

Earthrocker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All Jim's investments in transsexuals drugs, makeup, and gaudy wigs just makes him look like an obese version of Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter.

Edit: Listening to MATI, just wanted to add that Jim's conspiracy that Youtube is trying to eliminate all smaller creators so only the big whales survive is all kinds of stupid. Youtube costs Google more than it makes but that's fine because Google wants control of ad space. What a dunce.

Last edited:

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I guess it's a subjective thing. Matt's voice doesn't really bother me, (at least not to the point it detracts from everything else in the videos,) but it is the only content I watch on his channel because yeah he doesn't really have the charisma of someone like Critikal who can make any old shit entertaining. I think that's probably why he worked better when he was being the foil to Pat's indignant rage or Woolie's excitement.

I don't think it can be denied, though, that his Wha Happun videos are well researched and produced, so even if he doesn't have the radio voice of Ahoy or Metokur I still find them really interesting, and they remain a country mile beyond anything Jimbolina shits out.
Well, I'd argue on the research part, 'cause there are some videos where it's clear the guy just picked up surface-level cliff notes from other YouTubers, or in case of something like Postal 3 the entire video was blatantly wrong, but that's because the research info for that game is strictly Russian based. But his videos defiantly have some production behind them so I'll agree on that.

Neil

THE CLEANSE HAS BEGUN
kiwifarms.net
Sterling's new video is literally titled "The Under 900,000 Subscriber Special"
What a narcissist, though I suppose you have to acknowledge losing ~30k subs in 3 months if YouTube is your "career"

Under 900k Jimquisition

Edit: ITS 30 FUCKING MINUTES LONG?!!?View attachment 2177477
Jim, just fucking make good content if you don't want to lose subscribers. Talk about new fucking topics. Constantly shitting on Ubisoft/EA/Konami/whatever is done to fucking death.

>"Trans-hostile Youtube dot com"
Shove it, Jim. You never transitioned to female, all you're doing is crossdressing while keeping your dick and your male first name. The only thing that changed was you fronting as "gendertrash" and doing a poor falsetto on occasion.
I can't be bothered to watch it, scrolling through the girldick sucking comments congratulating him on passive agressive shit I get the idea I called it.

Also NerdCubed was there boasting he's about to go sub 2,5mil
View attachment 2177532
Fucking winners all of them.
Damn, it actually feels kinda good to see these entitled whiny fucks spiral.