Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker - Might not be a disaster

What will the combined score of shootings blamed on "Joker" be after opening weekend?

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • 1-10

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • 11-20

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 21-39

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 40+

Votes: 67 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alto

Space Doggity
kiwifarms.net
My hope is that they realize the formula that worked for Joker and run with it. Try smaller, more emotion-driven stories that focus on character over action and flashy effects. People love something to relate to, something that buckles down and treats them with intelligence. I would love for DC to start taking on a more psychological thriller approach that hearkens back to what Nolan was trying to do with his trilogy. They need to drop the edgy teen shit or the shameless Marvel copycat nonsense. I think people really liked the fact that this film felt like something above capeshit. Super heroes could very easily be our modern-day mythology, but mythology has to say something.

Marco Fucko

Jewbird
kiwifarms.net
Remember, those stupid bastards have been told people want one legged fat black trannies and are offended by everything, and that Joker is for "incels." Looks like those "incels" spend money.
This. A company can have a stupid through line guiding them but at the end of the day if a product doesn't perform it's getting pulled. And if the company wants to be stubborn then they can suffer for it.

I hope they don't do a sequel to Joker, I liked it and all but I would not want to see Joker in his 50s or 60s trying to go toe to toe with a young Batman (or maybe I would, who knows).

But yeah if DC started doing character explorations that might be tight. Mr. Freeze is pretty prime material if we're sticking with Batman.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
It's also good writing. Real people are complicated, and great characters reflect that complexity. Even "bad people" are not all bad, and none of them are bad solely because of their own choices.

I thought everyone understood all that, but apparently not. It's really telling that church lady SJWs and their nu-male orbiters are freaking out about a nuanced character study of a comic book antagonist. Their black⁠-or-white conceptions of people can't or won't account for realistic character complexity because that contradicts their "with us or against us" binary worldview. Just more evidence of their laughable authoritarian attitudes.
In their defense, I keep seeing things calling him an anti-hero. He's not an anything hero. It just so happens that a man that ended up becoming very evil is the protagonist.

He also will become the Clown Prince of Crime. That's "success", in a way.
It's certainly overcoming his background and channeling his issues into something positive...for himself, at least. It's just a very evil way of doing that.

Marco Fucko

Jewbird
kiwifarms.net
I like to think this Joker is a youngish guy, he just looks like shit because of how fucked up he is.
I think he's 30s at minimum tbh. Give Bruce only a decade to become batman and he'll be 40s, start him off like in BB and Joker will be in his 50s or older.

I can't remember if his birth date was given on the documents in the movie but yeah I can see mid 30s to 40s, maybe he's a Great Depression/WW2 orphan adopted by his crazy mom.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
I don't except the big guys at Warner Bros. not to screw up with Joker. Need I remind you all that Man of Steel was a financial success that had an at least decent audience score and rather than continuing its style they insisted on aping Marvel for about every film after (see the other supers in Batman v. Superman who were obviously forced in to build up a cinematic universe, the insertion of Whedon Humor into Justice League).

It's obvious that WB's leaders have been deeply absorbed into the words of "critics" and putting them above audience reception (combined with going terrified as soon as they send out a film that doesn't make Avengers level bucks ASAP). The DCverse Films from BvS onward wouldn't have gone in the direction they did otherwise.

Last edited:

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
This Joker can be whatever age they want him to be because it's a movie and if Bruce shows up being 30 in a possible sequel and it's only beein two years for Joaquin Phoenix, it won't be much of a problem, tbh. Either way, I'm sure it's mentioned he's around 30. If he's 35, in ten years Bruce will be 20 and Arthur will be 45 (the actual age of the actor). It's really not much of a difference because Phoenix isn't making his own stunts. Besides, being "old" isn't really much of a problem.

cesar-romero-jack-nicholson-joker.jpg

The question would be, is that the kind of movie Phoenix wants to make? I think he was on because of the very specific storyline, but I doubt he's interested on playing the Joker we all know. He doesn't look like the kind of man who would want to play a comic book character for the next ten years. And I'm perfectly fine with it, tbh.

It will be interesting to see who gets to play the Joker in any upcoming Batman project... poor soul...

Fox, Sony and/or Disney must be shitting their pants right now if they haven't yet.
Remember, those stupid bastards have been told people want one legged fat black trannies and are offended by everything, and that Joker is for "incels." Looks like those "incels" spend money.
Fox and Sony will get the hint and realise what people actually want. I'm sure they all get the hint that comic book fans are also adults who go to the theaters without their children and want to see their favorite characters curse, kill, get high, fuck, and being overall naughty.

b561f2a5f45651d5def1fed009a46c41.gif

Disney won't, though. They play safe and they will keep playing safe because they know the people in charge of movie criticism and media are their targets: mentally childish adults who are afraid of sex that isn't just an abstract thought about what two homosexuals do and they're meant to cheer for because "wokeness".

Scratch This Nut

Problematic Chihuahua
kiwifarms.net
This Joker can be whatever age they want him to be because it's a movie and if Bruce shows up being 30 in a possible sequel and it's only beein two years for Joaquin Phoenix, it won't be much of a problem, tbh. Either way, I'm sure it's mentioned he's around 30. If he's 35, in ten years Bruce will be 20 and Arthur will be 45 (the actual age of the actor). It's really not much of a difference because Phoenix isn't making his own stunts. Besides, being "old" isn't really much of a problem.

View attachment 980346

The question would be, is that the kind of movie Phoenix wants to make? I think he was on because of the very specific storyline, but I doubt he's interested on playing the Joker we all know. He doesn't look like the kind of man who would want to play a comic book character for the next ten years. And I'm perfectly fine with it, tbh.

It will be interesting to see who gets to play the Joker in any upcoming Batman project... poor soul...

Fox and Sony will get the hint and realise what people actually want. I'm sure they all get the hint that comic book fans are also adults who go to the theaters without their children and want to see their favorite characters curse, kill, get high, fuck, and being overall naughty.

View attachment 980353

Disney won't, though. They play safe and they will keep playing safe because they know the people in charge of movie criticism and media are their targets: mentally childish adults who are afraid of sex that isn't just an abstract thought about what two homosexuals do and they're meant to cheer for because "wokeness".
I’m so happy that Once Upon a Deadpool was a failed experiment. Like come on, Disney. Let Rocket say “fuck.”

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
This month has been crazy busy for me, so I either didn't have the time or didn't have the energy to get myself to the movie theater to see Joker ... Until tonight.

This was one of those movies where even if I didn't like the movie, I would respect it for what it is: A risky as hell move by Warner Bros. and DC. Good news, though: I thought the movie was great.

One of my reservations about this movie prior to seeing it was the fact that it's a Joker "origin movie" in the first place. I've always had the pretty staunch stance that Joker shouldn't have a definitive origin, as he is much scarier and more threatening (to me) when we don't even know who he is. This movie managed to keep a LOT of things just vague enough that it sent the message that "Hey, some of the things that happened are true ... And some aren't true. We'll let YOU decide which is which," which is fucking fantastic. The movie displays that Arthur Fleck is so mentally broken that he isn't a reliable source as to which events actually happened. Love it.

With this movie, I feel like DC finally "gets it." I love that the Box Office has given them that positive reinforcement, too. Best thing they did was drop Zack "The Limp Bizkit of Filmmaking" Snyder from the brand. All Snyder brought to the table was "Let's do what Marvel is doing with the cinematic universe, but let's make it SUPER DUPER HARDCORE BADASS." Snyder's movies weren't dark; they were fucking stupid and entirely full of themselves. This movie is dark ... And even downright cruel. It earned that tone.

This movie has only ONE actual attempt at comedy: The part where the midget couldn't reach the locks to Arthur's apartment door. That joke is funnier than the vast majority of jokes I have seen in any of the MCU movies. I cracked up in the movie theater.

Comedy really is tragedy + timing ...

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
I didn't like Joker as much as some of you guys*, but hot damn did Star Wars shill Jenny Nicholson's room temperature hot take piss me off.

*Arthur is an unsympathetic and ugly character who somehow became more likable once he started murdering people.
Well gee, I wonder why some bint named "Nicholson" doesn't like the new Joker...
Jack_Nicholson_As_The_Joker.jpg

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 980346

View attachment 980353

Nah it's because Disney wants the kiddies because kiddes buy the most merch.

That's why I doubt we'll ever see an R rated Marvel film under Disney.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I just watched Jenny Nicholson's take on this movie.

A few minutes into it, I was like, "Wow. She sounds like an even less entertaining CinemaSins." Then immediately after I thought that, she was like, "I'm not CinemaSins." Ok, Jenny. Sure. If you have to tell us that, it must be true ... lol.

I don't think Jenny Nicholson is funny at all. What IS it with current "females in comedy" who do that thing where they have a permanent "deer caught in headlights" face, talk really slowly, and end every sentence like they're asking a question?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Jenny Nicholson is funny at all. What IS it with current "females in comedy" who do that thing where they have a permanent "deer caught in headlights" face, talk really slowly, and end every sentence like they're asking a question?
She's more of a fandom thing where she comments on various fandoms. She started out with thirsty bronies and then went on to be a nu-Wars shill.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
This movie has only ONE actual attempt at comedy: The part where the midget couldn't reach the locks to Arthur's apartment door. That joke is funnier than the vast majority of jokes I have seen in any of the MCU movies. I cracked up in the movie theater.

Comedy really is tragedy + timing ...
THe other day I saw a good take on that that got me thinking.

At the start of the movie, you feel sorry for Gary being equally bullied as Arthur and you understand why Arthur likes Gary, as both are "broken" in a way. You think: wow, laughing at him is wrong just like laughing at Arthur is wrong and the other clown dude is an ass.

Then, that scene happens and you laugh at Gary.

Reminds me of Carrie. In the book, Ms Desjardin does laugh at Carrie despite the tragedy because... humor is subjective and sometimes, you just can control it.

Fuck, this movie has just so many moments of genius.

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
Yeah... I almost hate to say it, as much as I loved this Joker movie.. I really don't even *want* to see Phoenix Joker go up against Batman.

I already have no idea how Phoenix Joker fits in with the DCCU they're still trying to shove down our throats... I would honestly rather they didn't even try to connect the two, because I can't see how that would help the DCCU, and it would definitely cheapen this Joker to tie him down with the Margot Robbie shit.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Yeah... I almost hate to say it, as much as I loved this Joker movie.. I really don't even *want* to see Phoenix Joker go up against Batman.

I already have no idea how Phoenix Joker fits in with the DCCU they're still trying to shove down our throats... I would honestly rather they didn't even try to connect the two, because I can't see how that would help the DCCU, and it would definitely cheapen this Joker to tie him down with the Margot Robbie shit.
After Joker, I'm sure the DC bosses are probably thinking about rebranding the whole deal and scrap Margot Robbie shit for good.

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
After Joker, I'm sure the DC bosses are probably thinking about rebranding the whole deal and scrap Margot Robbie shit for good.
And yet...
(And yes, I know they started making "Birds of Prey" before Joker was an obvious success, but you still have to wonder why they even bothered green-lighting a Joker that contradicted their previously established bullshit, if they were going to go right back to it regardless...)

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino