Kiwi Running Club -

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to get into trail running but have the knees and back of a 70 year old boomer thanks to several years of military stuff (I don't think that's too much of a powerlevel). I've just been walking a couple miles at a time to try and get somewhat back into shape. Any protips for getting back into running?
Imo, you're pretty much doing everything right so far. Start slow, and find your base. Build on it slowly, both speed and distance. Find some strength training activities you like in between walk/run days, to help strengthen your back, core, and legs. Once you've got a steady couple of street miles down, try the trails. Always reduce your speed on the trails though; the terrain will increase the difficulty naturally, and you don't want to injure yourself. Slow hike the trails before you start running them to familiarize yourself. I miss trail running so much, hope you have fun!

I'm just some random asshole, not a pro or trainer, so take everything with a grain of salt lol. Also, I'm impressed that you're going back to running after the military. My husband is ex-military, and you can't pay him to run again now lol.

FundusOHoolihan

kiwifarms.net
I enjoy running the treadmill but I am very much a pussy about jogging around the neighborhood. You guys just took your out of shape asses out there and ran one day? okay I'm not that out of shape but I'm inexperienced and I feel so awkward.
If you're feeling insecure, it's helpful to know that you feel more awkward than you look, even on those days when you're taking frequent walking breaks. Whenever I see someone running I get jealous no matter how they're doing. :feels:

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy running the treadmill but I am very much a pussy about jogging around the neighborhood. You guys just took your out of shape asses out there and ran one day? okay I'm not that out of shape but I'm inexperienced and I feel so awkward.
Yep! I decided that, once I was comfortable running a mile nonstop, I'd start running around the neighborhood. It was more difficult, of course, but far more mentally stimulating. Plus having landmarks as goal posts was enjoyable. I think it's natural to be self conscious, but that it also goes away as you do it more frequently.

tryagainlater

kiwifarms.net
yeah actually! haha you just gotta do it! i felt so embarrassed at first but once i was going that went away. it helped me to go to a park and see other people jogging/running so i didn't feel so out of place.

simple slug

kiwifarms.net
Ok ok... good encouraging feedback from the Kiwis. I have no excuse to not try to run in front of other humans and one day I'll even do it! Maybe just very early in the morning or something.
Early morning runs are the best, it's hard to get too self-conscious when you're still sleepy and most of the people out and about from 4:30-6 are too busy to notice your pace or form. You could try buying yourself something to new wear that makes you feel more attractive or confident. If you get new shoes/shorts/whatever you'll want to go out and actually put them to use, seeing yourself in something nice makes faking confidence in public a lot easier than going out in schlubby clothes. Congrats on trying to get out of your comfort zone

MerriedxReldnahc

Gay Supervillains Against Elder Abuse
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been running for maybe... 10 years now? Holy crap, it doesn't feel like it's been that long. I kind of fell off the wagon in terms of how much effort I put into my workouts but the beginning of 2020 I got back into it and things have been going very well since. I've always trained for long distances but I'm trying to do shorter, faster, runs to pair with my weightlifting. That seems to be the way to go because even when I do a long ass run up into the hills I notice I haven't been as worn-out afterwards.
Ok ok... good encouraging feedback from the Kiwis. I have no excuse to not try to run in front of other humans and one day I'll even do it! Maybe just very early in the morning or something.
You got this! I've never got any judgement from people while running (maybe because everyone in my town is old and therefore slow as fuck) but I do understand feeling like you have an audience when you go out. That's something that was hard about learning to skateboard, I hate the idea of having people see me struggle at something so I went out when the sun was going down and there was no one to witness my incompetancy. I'm feeling the same thing again now that I'm learning to ride a bike. I'd doing ok in the backyard but I'm going to need more space soon and I need to just haul my ass to the park and ride.

Brussels Sprout

Call any vegetable
kiwifarms.net
Early morning runs are the best, it's hard to get too self-conscious when you're still sleepy and most of the people out and about from 4:30-6 are too busy to notice your pace or form. You could try buying yourself something to new wear that makes you feel more attractive or confident. If you get new shoes/shorts/whatever you'll want to go out and actually put them to use, seeing yourself in something nice makes faking confidence in public a lot easier than going out in schlubby clothes. Congrats on trying to get out of your comfort zone

I've been running for maybe... 10 years now? Holy crap, it doesn't feel like it's been that long. I kind of fell off the wagon in terms of how much effort I put into my workouts but the beginning of 2020 I got back into it and things have been going very well since. I've always trained for long distances but I'm trying to do shorter, faster, runs to pair with my weightlifting. That seems to be the way to go because even when I do a long ass run up into the hills I notice I haven't been as worn-out afterwards.

You got this! I've never got any judgement from people while running (maybe because everyone in my town is old and therefore slow as fuck) but I do understand feeling like you have an audience when you go out. That's something that was hard about learning to skateboard, I hate the idea of having people see me struggle at something so I went out when the sun was going down and there was no one to witness my incompetancy. I'm feeling the same thing again now that I'm learning to ride a bike. I'd doing ok in the backyard but I'm going to need more space soon and I need to just haul my ass to the park and ride.
Ok you supportive bastards. I heard you and I'm here to report that I have just completed my first in-public jog 8)

It was really nice! I was faster and less of a hot mess than I thought (though I don't entirely know how to interpret the data on my fitness app about my pace an all that) and I felt self conscious for maybe two minutes before getting over it. Its a really beautiful morning so that helped.

Can't wait to go out again tomorrow or the next day depending on my level of ouchies lol.

gaystoner

fucked up queer
kiwifarms.net
Update to my last post but I just ran a 9:32 mile and half.

Training sprints intervals are where its at if youre wanting to gain speed! I was just doing 30-45 second sprints at 10-11mph on the treadmill and swapping to a 3-3.5mph quick walk for 1:30-2min depending on how I felt.

FundusOHoolihan

kiwifarms.net
Update to my last post but I just ran a 9:32 mile and half.

Training sprints intervals are where its at if youre wanting to gain speed! I was just doing 30-45 second sprints at 10-11mph on the treadmill and swapping to a 3-3.5mph quick walk for 1:30-2min depending on how I felt.
This is true. I hate sprints and fartleks but my husband makes me sprint quarter miles and I always can tell it happened in my next run.

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
We've been battered with weeks of thunderstorms lately, and it's biting into my running plans. I don't have a treadmill or gym membership so I'm just waiting for the sky gods to quit shitting on us.

deadtofaunus

kiwifarms.net
After COVID I went from 20-minute 5k to barely managing week 3 of Couch to 5k without puking. So I'm building up again using the same program that got me there in the first place. Doesn't feel great seeing how much ground was lost but I'm in it for the long haul again, fellow Kiwis. Old age and complacency are a helluva drug, never again.

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
After COVID I went from 20-minute 5k to barely managing week 3 of Couch to 5k without puking. So I'm building up again using the same program that got me there in the first place. Doesn't feel great seeing how much ground was lost but I'm in it for the long haul again, fellow Kiwis. Old age and complacency are a helluva drug, never again.
Amen

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
Nasty 3 mile trail run with the dogs. It's been storming off and on lately, so everything is swampy and mucky, and when it's not raining, it's 100 degrees out. Lots of biting flies and mosquitoes 🤬 No copperheads this time though.

Nu-13

Activating Murakumo Unit experiment...
kiwifarms.net
Great to hear the progress you all are making! That's some good stuff. Keep going.

Need to get back into running myself. Last one I did was a 2.5km this month, when I used to do 4-5km last year... Quite depressing to me but just gotta build it up again and not give up.