Kiwi Running Club -

Brussels Sprout

Call any vegetable
kiwifarms.net
I saw people on the boardwalk jogging around and after dinner time and I don't get it. My sensitive husk of a body gets stitches so easily even if it's been hours since I ate or drank. I gotta do it first thing in the morning, mostly empty except for exactly one small banana.

Am I an inferior specimen or are this late runner people unusually awesome?

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
I saw people on the boardwalk jogging around and after dinner time and I don't get it. My sensitive husk of a body gets stitches so easily even if it's been hours since I ate or drank. I gotta do it first thing in the morning, mostly empty except for exactly one small banana.

Am I an inferior specimen or are this late runner people unusually awesome?
Everyone is comfortable with something different. I have to wait a good hour after a full meal before running, but a bit less if it's just a snack. If it's really heavy, it'll take longer.

Plus some of the distance runners have conditioned themselves to eat and drink while running to keep going. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Squirrel Nutkin

kiwifarms.net
Have been running since the glory days of Frank Shorter and Boston Billy. My best suggestion for longevity in the sport is consistent yoga practice. My knees were both on their way to being fully shot (I got the "you'll never run again" speech from 3 different orthopedists) but after I took up yoga I have been able to continue running and the last "career-ending MRI" is now 8 years in the past.

It might not work for everyone but it certainly has for me. Happy trails!

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
Have been running since the glory days of Frank Shorter and Boston Billy. My best suggestion for longevity in the sport is consistent yoga practice. My knees were both on their way to being fully shot (I got the "you'll never run again" speech from 3 different orthopedists) but after I took up yoga I have been able to continue running and the last "career-ending MRI" is now 8 years in the past.

It might not work for everyone but it certainly has for me. Happy trails!
Yoga and pilates have made the biggest improvement in my running.

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
Started running a few years back, to lose weight and to be able to keep up with the kids. Still never quite got down to optimum running weight (can't outrun a bad diet!) but have kept the running up since.

Things I've learned:
- don't obsess over marathons. Some love them, but for me and many others they'll completely fuck up your enjoyment of running.
- 10 miles up to half-marathon is the optimum race distance for me to aim at. Still enjoyable to train to, but doesn't take over life.
- hills and trails make you a better runner, and help you avoid injury. Do the work, you'll feel the benefit.
- anyone who tries to direct you to a specific brand of shoes needs a punch in the face. Try lots, see what you get on with, and stick to them. I know what I like, but your feet aren't mine.
- do core work. The vast majority of runners' injuries can be traced back to poor core strength and balance.
- most running kit is a waste of money. Other than shoes, buy cheap stuff made in wicking fabrics. My only expensive kit is a good waterproof jacket (OMM) and a merino wool base layer.

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
I enjoy running the treadmill but I am very much a pussy about jogging around the neighborhood. You guys just took your out of shape asses out there and ran one day? okay I'm not that out of shape but I'm inexperienced and I feel so awkward.
I started running at the gym, but getting outside is so much more rewarding. Runners are (mostly) a very friendly bunch so you'll get only support from us, and anyone else can go fuck themselves. Work out a route you're familiar with before you set out, and don't try to push your limit until you're comfortable.

No-one looks good running, so don't worry about what you look like. I've had shoes in all sorts of colours I'd never otherwise wear, fluorescent pink t-shirts, I'll even wear a cap and I look a humongous twat in any kind of headgear.

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
Every time I see someone running outside, I am simultaneously envious and so proud of them lol.
Ditto, especially knowing how difficult it is for some to overcome that first hurdle of actually starting.

What do you guys listen to when running alone? I tend not to use music as I find I fall into step with the beat which isn't always healthy, so I use podcasts and radio comedy instead. Also I like to be able to hear what's happening around me (safety etc) so I've got some Aftershokz open-ear headphones.

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
Ditto, especially knowing how difficult it is for some to overcome that first hurdle of actually starting.

What do you guys listen to when running alone? I tend not to use music as I find I fall into step with the beat which isn't always healthy, so I use podcasts and radio comedy instead. Also I like to be able to hear what's happening around me (safety etc) so I've got some Aftershokz open-ear headphones.
If I'm running in an isolated place, I'll play music straight from my phone on my arm band. If I'm around people, I use headphones, but keep it quiet enough to hear things. I tried listening to a podcast, but I was trying so hard to listen to the conversation that I was getting out of rhythm with running lol, so I don't use those. Occasionally I'll do a silent run, just to listen to my breathing and stride and such.

tryagainlater

kiwifarms.net
i tend to listen to upbeat electronic music since it has a steady beat and helps me stay motivated while running. usually, i'll pick an album and just let it play all the way through so i can run without constantly wanting to check the time. if i'm feeling particularly moody for some reason, then i won't listen to anything since the sounds of nature help me feel better and relax.

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think about my next training block and races. It's a while since I did a half marathon, so going to find one in the autumn, and there are a few options for 5-mile races before then.

Will probably split training into two blocks - hills to the end of August, then a few weeks of speed-work before a short taper. Weekly sessions will be a long run (8-ish miles building up to around 15 by end of Sep), a tempo run of around an hour, and a technical session. Most weeks will include either an additional short run or an erg session.

Plan to have at least one day of complete rest, and probably 3 days of strength work of some description. And lose around 25lbs of excess weight I'm currently carrying.

deadtofaunus

kiwifarms.net
It's been raining a lot here as well, though not enough for it to be anything more than an excuse for my laziness after recovering from the second Wu Flu vaccine dose yesterday. I'll be back at it tomorrow, you can hold me to that fellow Kiwis.

I second the electronic music comment. I've been listening to a lot of Eurobeat and a few Retrowave playlists off of YouTube lately and I've found autistically roleplaying as a speeding vehicle helps take my mind off the fact that my nerve endings are constantly screeching at my brain to stop.

deadtofaunus

kiwifarms.net
Double posting be damned, I got out to the track today and managed to run a 5:34 1km split, which is very encouraging considering that my splits were all 7:00-8:00+ when I started going at it again a few weeks ago. Nothing too fast and still haven't gone a full 5k but progress is progress. My lungs were ready to burst by the end of it, but it's truly impressive how adaptable our bodies are. The sub-20 dream might be real after all.

I've come to see this thread as a way to help hold myself accountable through a sense of community, so thanks for starting it @burntgrilledcheese ! Everyone else, keep it up! We're all in this together.

burntgrilledcheese

crumchy
kiwifarms.net
Double posting be damned, I got out to the track today and managed to run a 5:34 1km split, which is very encouraging considering that my splits were all 7:00-8:00+ when I started going at it again a few weeks ago. Nothing too fast and still haven't gone a full 5k but progress is progress. It's truly impressive how adaptable our bodies are. The sub-20 dream might be real after all.

I've come to see this thread as a way to help hold myself accountable through a sense of community, so thanks for starting it @burntgrilledcheese !
Hell yeah ❤️

Brussels Sprout

Call any vegetable
kiwifarms.net
It also won't stop mother fugging raining here so it's been me and the treadmill for about a week. I'm still not very fast, but my endurance had noticeably increased which feels really great!

Here's a little slice of my autistic running playlist for your amusement.
Screenshot_20210711-210327_Spotify.jpg

FundusOHoolihan

kiwifarms.net
What do you guys listen to when running alone?
I've been listening to eurobeat for running and biking for more than a year now.

Anyone here ever transition to keto? I'm on my sixth week. When I first started, my running speed was utter GARBAGE. I was dying after my first keto 5k. I'm getting better now like everyone promised, but damn, what a hell of an adaptation period.

So in the last few weeks, I've coped with my lacking performance by doing park and trail runs for the sake of soaking up the scenery, hitting new places and stopping once in a while for cool scenery and stuff. It's been really cool. My thinking is I'll get my old times and distances back eventually whether I'm paying close attention to them or not. I just really love running lately anyway.

deadtofaunus

kiwifarms.net
Another week, another grind, fellow Kiwis. Best split today was 5:14. Progress may be slowing down, but whatever enjoyment I'm no longer deriving from massive noob gains is slowly but surely being replaced by enjoyment for the process itself once again.

I'm not sure I'll ever learn to truly love running purely for the sake of running, but the health benefits, both physical and psychological, are undeniable. I appreciate them, and you all, greatly, and I encourage everyone to keep up the good work.

Last edited: