Learning to Cook - Stove top and oven

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
I thought it was a stack of pennies on top of the ice so if it thaws you see that the coins have fallen in?
That's an interesting idea, although the sublimation issue is still there with that plan.

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Best thing in terms of quality or my favorites?

In terms of quality, French Toast and brown of hash with eggs for Mother's Day breakfast. Everybody was impressed with it.

My favorite was tacos. Ground beef was easier than I thought.
Tacos were one of the first recipes I cooked on my own, ground meat is one of the easier things to learn how to cook with and after you've got that basic down there are a lot more recipes to tackle.

Best of luck with the crock pot, hopefully your next meal comes out great.

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First you get the water.
wait until it boils, now carfully with a big spoon you put 4 eggs and let them boil for about 6 and a half minutes
put them in a bowl full of cold water with ice and after 3 minutes peel them.
now you have a snack to last you all day

The Last Stand

Kiwi Farms Popularity Judge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tacos were one of the first recipes I cooked on my own, ground meat is one of the easier things to learn how to cook with and after you've got that basic down there are a lot more recipes to tackle.

Best of luck with the crock pot, hopefully your next meal comes out great.
Thank you.

I need to get some stuff for it. I'm thinking chicken as it'll be easier.

Or like you said, just get vegetables, roast, spices and broth and make something from that.

Reactions: Syikeblade

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thank you.

I need to get some stuff for it. I'm thinking chicken as it'll be easier.

Or like you said, just get vegetables, roast, spices and broth and make something from that.
I just prefer going with meat because undercooking it won't kill you, but since you're dealing with a crock pot it's imposible to undercook anything. Do what you think would turn out best like I said a while back it's more important that you learn to cook what you like so you'll actually want to experiment with it.

The Last Stand

Kiwi Farms Popularity Judge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've cooked chicken on a crockpot. From what I noticed, it takes 4 hours on high for it to be tender.

What does broth do to meals? Flavor, moisture, cooking?

Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
I was considering frying. I was concerned about the oil smell fumigating the apartment and burning myself. I do like fried food; I'm sure there's a proper way to do it.
I'm hella late here, but try using shortening like Crisco for deep frying. It seems to take that heavy fried smell out. Get a kitchen thermometer and you want to deep fry on about 350. You can control that as you go along. The temp will drop when you add whatever you're frying. Best way to not burn yourself is controlling the heat, using tongs or skimmer to put in and take out the food.
I've cooked chicken on a crockpot. From what I noticed, it takes 4 hours on high for it to be tender.

What does broth do to meals? Flavor, moisture, cooking?
All of the above. If you need something a bit thicker, use stock. Generally a stock uses bones and broth is made with bones, vegetables and herbs so it's a bit more assertive. Broth is good in a situation when you're making a pan sauce or thinning out a sauce. It's seasoned so if you are using canned broth then go for the low sodium stuff that way you can control the salt. It's used in stuffing to moisten the dry ingredients. I use it for soups, pasta sauces, chicken pot pie filling, brussels sprouts, rice, chicken an dumplings it's very versatile. It's handy to add just a bit of flavor. Most things you may use water to boil for like grains and potatoes you can substitute stock for a little flavor boost.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
And you don't technically have to use broth, in some situations. Beer or wine, fruit juices, cider (hard or otherwise), all have their places. Either entirely in place of broth, or added to it.

And yes, what Whatthefuck up there said - almost any place you could use water? Use something like chicken broth or stock instead. Pasta, rice, potatoes. A chicken or vegetable stock, preferably - beef stock has a little bit too forward a flavor profile, while chicken or vegetable will blend in to almost anything you're doing. I mean, unless you're planning something sweet like rice pudding or something...

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ovens get hot. That heat radiates outward. I've owned multiple ovens in my life, I've never had one so well-shielded that you couldn't feel the warmth of it when you were near it. Ergo, they're heating up the house.
I might have a bias against small kitchen appliances.

Tags
None