• < 1 week

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • < 2 weeks

Votes: 57 35.0%
  • < 3 weeks

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • < 4 weeks

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Never, DSP is actually really good, plays the game forever and finishes 4th at Evo

Votes: 42 25.8%

• Total voters

Mask_de_SMITH

I'm not a Monster, it's only a Mask
kiwifarms.net
Alright, here's a microcosm of DSP playing MK11 as Super Turbo. The things he does in this small clip are 100% a mirror to what he does in ST.

My mini-dissection actually starts like 3-4 seconds into the clip because it didn't clip right or some shit, whatever, it's fucking shitty Twitch.

We start out with Dave knocked down and actually using his Defensive Meter (vertical shield bar in the corner used for defensive maneuvers), which he's starting to use more frequently, surprisingly. He still only does that one reversal, though I believe each character has 3 for different situations. This is the equivalent to a wakeup reversal in the form of a dragon punch, except it's actually safer.

He then goes into his pretty standard setup for an "overhead mixup", which is the 2nd hit of the small combo he followed up his reversal with. The Scorpion sees it coming and blocks high. This is more of a thing from later fighting games since overheads didn't really exist in ST, but they've been in 3S, SF4, SFV, and are prevalent in pretty much all fighting games nowadays.

Scorp gets out and hits him with a teleport and knocks him back down.

AND THEN WE SEGUE INTO PEAK ST MODE

After the Scorpion doesn't do anything after the teleport, DSP does two c.fp and walks up and throws the guy. Now, I don't know enough about the game to assess if Raiden can follow that up with anything or not, but part of me wants to say you can't combo off of it, or at least nothing decent. Either way, c.lp (SF's equivalent of c.fp) into throw is a very, very old tactic and still used setup for a "tick throw", which is executing a throw directly after an opponent finishes blocking. You can't throw someone while they're in block/hit stun, and c.lp universally has fast startup and low hit/blockstun, so it's used a lot as a setup. It's a very old, very universal fighting game mechanic.

So Dave gets the throw, let's see what he does afterwards.

He tries jumping in but fucks it up because he doesn't know the timing and Scorpion anti-airs him.

He does the reversal move again to counter Scorpion's low sweep (again, actually using his defensive meter), then walks forward, the Scorpion is expecting something but it never comes, so Dave does some shitty multi-hit move that hits high, then low, Scorpion eats both of those, and then Dave does a c.fp, which again hits, into another tick throw attempt, which the Scorpion techs (tech throw is doing a throw at the same time as your opponent and it basically negates it).

This is all shit he does in ST and basically every fighting game he picks up that he doesn't want to actually learn. He figures out one or two combos and a simple high/low mixup option, and then a simple combo off of each of those two options should they hit.

The big thing is the way he's not capitalizing on all of those hits because he doesn't know any real combos. Now I'll give him a bit of leeway because it's basically Day 1 for him since he only did tutorial/story shit yesterday and NRS games have a lot of weird combos with directional inputs and command moves you have to memorize and it's a lot to take in, to be honest. But it doesn't excuse not learning new stuff, either.

This mentality is why he likes to pick big characters in games he doesn't really want to learn: their throws typically do more damage (or they have command throws), and their normal moves have more range and do more damage (generally), and they don't typically have very complex combos. You can get away with trying to play simple footsies (spacing games) and punishing your opponent, but this shit doesn't translate when you start playing people who are competent at the game.

Again, I could go on for ages, but this is just off a little 15 second clip. The way he plays this stretch is exactly how he plays every fighting game and it's a remnant of what he knows from ST.
He has a lot of bad habits from Super Turbo that bleed out into every fucking game he plays, it's stunning to me.

You can see him use a Down+1 into a throw attempt, which would be a tick throw set up in ST, but it doesn't fucking work because it's not adding that many frames on block, so all he's doing is telegraphing his grab attempt. He plays like such a fucking scrub.

Also, I think the reason he's playing Raiden in MK11 is because the character was good in MK9, which he used to go to tournaments for. The only problem is that Raiden is actually one of the worst characters in the game next to Shao Khan (which I'm surprised he didn't play, since he almost always tends to play beefy characters with high-damage normals that let him tank through matches). But from what I can see from this clip, he doesn't know how to perform successful jump-ins, and has no fucking defense whatsoever.

He really is a washout when it comes to fighting games. No wonder he runs to ST whenever he wants to play a fighting game: his brain doesn't know anything else.

LostMy1stAccount

kiwifarms.net
What on earth made him think people would be interested in watching fights between him/Kekon/Brian? He removed the one thing that's interesting about him playing MK11: the salt.

This is extremely boring.
Not gonna lie, watching someone who actually is decent at the game is way more entertaining than watching Dave trying to throw 50 times and bitch for multiple hours.

Sparkletor

kiwifarms.net
He has a lot of bad habits from Super Turbo that bleed out into every fucking game he plays, it's stunning to me.

You can see him use a Down+1 into a throw attempt, which would be a tick throw set up in ST, but it doesn't fucking work because it's not adding that many frames on block, so all he's doing is telegraphing his grab attempt. He plays like such a fucking scrub.

Also, I think the reason he's playing Raiden in MK11 is because the character was good in MK9, which he used to go to tournaments for. The only problem is that Raiden is actually one of the worst characters in the game next to Shao Khan (which I'm surprised he didn't play, since he almost always tends to play beefy characters with high-damage normals that let him tank through matches). But from what I can see from this clip, he doesn't know how to perform successful jump-ins, and has no fucking defense whatsoever.

He really is a washout when it comes to fighting games. No wonder he runs to ST whenever he wants to play a fighting game: his brain doesn't know anything else.
Maybe you missed it, Shao Khan was the first character he played right after the hours of tutorials.

Comma

kiwifarms.net
It's been over an hour and fifteen minutes since he received his last cheer, with the top cheer still being 125 from pre-stream. Hasn't received a single tip since starting the game.

Weird thing is: he actually seems to be having fun with this.

-edit- apparently "fans" will be allowed to join in the fun after the break. Mastersaruwatari thinks this boring DSP/Kekon/Brian section is taking too long, and is ordering DSP to hurry the fuck up:

Last edited:

Comma

kiwifarms.net
He's currently troubleshooting how to create a private lobby live on stream... He went on break, came back after 25 mins only to complain about how the lobby system is broken and he can't get it to work.

Zero preperation went into this.

-edit- Some random dood called CT-8008 joined the lobby and is bodying everyone, teabagging them during and after matches. :story:

Luckily Brian stepped in for a win against him so the others can play again.

Last edited:

Kheapathic

Weebs and Wall Runs
kiwifarms.net
Was actually home and getting ready to sleep, but heard Dave was gonna have an open lobby in MK11. Sadly I couldn't get into it. Maybe some other time, hopefully.

Synth

whatever
kiwifarms.net
Jesus Christ this salt is amazing, all over one dude playing one character that nobody in the lobby knows how to punish the incredibly punishable move they keep getting fucked by.

Psychobilly

kiwifarms.net
That CT guy was in Tevin's chat, it sounded like he was just fucking about with Erron Black.

Though DSP's transition from "he's actually a pretty good player" at the start since he was assuming he was a fan to "scrub player like this guy" in about 30 minutes was pretty hilarious.

Reactions: Draza and Haunter
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino