• I am off my meds and I am online!

Mass Effect Andromeda: Shitstorm EditionRIP Biowear

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vault Boy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. At this point Biowares only saving throw may be Dragon Age 4 since the last one was pretty good and did pretty well. I don't see Anthem failing hard but I don't see it doing good either

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Bork Laser

Bork Laser #borked
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  2. Here's one way how to do it:

Quite literally burn the entire ending of ME3 to the ground and start over from close to ME3. You don't need to bring back Shepard or even do anything else, just find an alternative way to wrap things up and use that as your launch point. You have hundreds of other options, fucking use one of them. You can even XCOM2 this bitch and launch from a what-if scenario.

The entire ending of ME3 broke the fucking canon that hard, from storytelling conventions to the simple fact that nothing in it fits with anything that came before it. ME3's loaded with writing problems, but all are secondary to this one fuck-up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Jaimas

Jaimas Local Man Ruins Everything
    True & Honest Fan Wiki Sysop

kiwifarms.is
  3. They could always do the first contact war from either the humans or turians side, but at that point, it would lose the entire point that mass effect stood for, multiple different groups working together.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Alpha Loves You

Alpha Loves You Today is a good day for Justice
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  4. I don't understand why they had to overcomplicate shit. Paragon: Choice you control the Reapers and they help rebuild the galaxy. But it's tenuous and ppl are gonna wanna use them for their own ends.

Renegade: you destroy them at the cost of also killing other robotic life forms, like Geth. The reapers are finally gone but the galaxy is in flames.

There. Each sceneario can be hand waves or tweaked by setting the next game a 100 or so years in the future

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Bork Laser

Bork Laser #borked
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  5. They'd have to admit they fucked the ME 3 ending. My guess is completely ignore the ending and going with 'destroy' and the galaxy rebuilding itself. Shepard is a legend and you can import your Shepard and have statues of them and shit. Reapers are dead, but you've got to unite a broken galaxy. Just completely ignore what they did at the end of ME and leave Shepards fate ambiguous if he/she survived or not.

Probably, yeah.

Also, the thing is the vast majority of players chose the destroy ending. The writing was shit tier and we are expected to suddenly sympathize with genocidal robots we've been fighting for 3 games in a literal 2 minute deus ex machina explanation. I've seen Harry Potter self insert fan fiction better written than the end of that shitshow. Fuck ME 3.

Also nobody is going to give a shit about a prequel when they learned the galaxy is blown the fuck up anyway and literally nothing they do will matter. Because the first contact war ends the same way and the galaxy gets blown the fuck out. Kind of boring when you already know the ending to the story.

That and Bioware no longer has the talent to write good games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  6. did andromeda get better?

Deadwaste

Deadwaste GODDAMN SHIT BITCH

kiwifarms.is
  7. When I saw the hiring was based on diversity over talent when this game was in production, I'm assuming it can only get better.

• Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  8. Which ending for ME3 was the canon one? Given how post-apocalyptic most of the galaxy would be, I could see picking up (say) five years later on some other planet, trying to rebuild- it would require a massive tonal shift though, more Cowboy Bebop than Babylon 5.

Krokodil Overdose

Krokodil Overdose [|][||][||][|_]

kiwifarms.is
  9. Destroy is the canon ending. Everything else is incredibly poorly written fanfiction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Ruin

Ruin Mercenary Slut
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  10. Nothing about ME3 wasn't incredibly poorly written fanfiction.

• Agree Agree x 7
    Your Weird Fetish

Your Weird Fetish Intersectional fetishist

kiwifarms.is
  11. Considering like 90% of the playerbase basically spit in the face of the writers because they wanted Destroy to be the 'wrong' ending, yet the vast majority chose it over the 2 others. I think something like 5% chose synthesis or whatever fucking body-horror creepshow that was, just so Joker could fuck a robot.

There's also mods that alter the ending of ME 3, use Destroy and put the Citadel DLC as the epilogue, removing all references to how they're going to fight the reapers. I don't know how good they are, but a lot of people put in effort to try and make the ending something slavagable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  12. I took the control option, only really so the geth would live and because it had a little bit of story relevence.
    Honestly though, just make the modded "happy ending" cannon and roll on the clock 200 years or something, the cannon endings suck, nobody likes them and they just ruin everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Alpha Loves You

Alpha Loves You Today is a good day for Justice
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  13. Fixing one ending isn't going to make Bioware any better at writing endings in the future. Or any other part of a game, for that matter. ME3 was a disaster long before the RGB section. Even ME2 has some major flaws in the plotting and characterization.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Your Weird Fetish

kiwifarms.is
  14. Let it never be forgotten that the ending of ME3 is that it quite literally was written by two faggots who weren't the original writing team and wanted their exceptional twist ending. They then proceeded to not only pretend that there was no backlash to said ending, but called pretty much everyone who bitched entitled for calling the ending shit. And EA rewarded one of the assholes who caused this fucking dereliction of common sense by giving him carte blanche to do what he would with the series and he brought us all Andromeda.

Looking back on it, this shit was prophetic. So much of what we'd see later in GG and shit like the fuckstorm surrounding Star Wars: TLJ would find its fucking precursor here: Calling fans of the series entitled manbabies for disliking it? Check. Circling the wagons with the journo class and claiming that they were being harassed and attacked and ergo gamers were evil? Check. Screaming about MUH ARTISM when people point out the fucking litany of shit that doesn't make sense about the ending? Big check. All it needed was some legbeard shrieking about misogyny and we'd have a full bingo card.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Jaimas

kiwifarms.is
  15. Reading between the lines my personal theory is that no one had any idea for an ending up to only a couple of months before release so Casey Hudson (being a producer, not a writer) just locked Mac Walters in a room with him until he had literally anything they could put in the game. Casey Hudson did nothing wrong, he's been there from the start. Mac Walters was promoted beyond his competency and it's mostly his fault. That said proudly proclaiming a player molded coherent trilogy from day one without any real outline for what the trilogy's plot should actually be is idiotic and the fault of everyone that worked on the series period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Your Weird Fetish

kiwifarms.is
  16. Yeah, BioWare screwed the pooch there, but to this day I have trouble holding it against them since they almost immediately released what was at least an attempted fix for the ending. So I looked on their "oh the fans are so entitled" as a face-saving gesture more than genuine shitting on the fans. If Lucasfilm had taken the exact same tack they have with TLJ *but* released a 20-minute epilogue that fixed some of the plot holes, I'd be much less contemptuous of them.

But, as you say, it did indeed turn out to be a leading indicator. BioWare coasted on their writing chops for a long time, and when those failed, they didn't have any recourse but to attack the fans- and the JournoLists who hung off their wang (and ad dollars) had no problem circling the wagons, because journalists deserve a worse reputation than lawyers and bill collectors combined.

Krokodil Overdose

Krokodil Overdose [|][||][||][|_]

kiwifarms.is
  17. I was always under the impression they originally intended it as an episodic trilogy like Indiana Jones and only tried turning it into a tight three-part narrative when they were almost done with ME2

Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Are you still a virgin with rage? INTERLINKED

kiwifarms.is
  18. The biggest issue was that they completely changed writing staff amidships. They had a huge battery of PLOT that basically got flushed about 70% of the way through ME2 that was supposed to dictate where the series was going to go. There's some argument as to why they buried it - some have argued because parts of it were leaked and they wanted to spite those who did it, others because Walters is a zero-talent hack.

I lean towards the latter, considering the abortion Andromeda's story was.

I do not consider a fucking paltry attempt at "fixing" it to be an argument for acceptibility, considering the game languished in a non-fixed state for almost a year before that came out. There is a far bigger reason, however, that I, and presumably many others, will never forgive their alleged attempt at fixing it. It's got nothing to do with the fact that it was too little, too late, or the fact that someone fucking programmed a better ending generator in fucking Twine, designed to give you a Fallout-style epilogue, fucking months previously. It's not the fact that the new ending is a band-aid slapped over the shitty old ending, the fact that the endings are still "pick a color," and basically identical even in the extended cut, or the fact that they still fucking break the lore of the game (SYNTHETICS AND ORGANICS CANNOT CO-EXIST, they argue, after spending the bulk of a chapter proving otherwise).

It's something deeper. It's the fact that even this fix is dripping with contempt for the ME Fanbase.

They didn't make Extended Cut because they gave a shit about the game. They did it because if they didn't the fanbase would never let them live it the fuck down. ME4, which would later become Andromeda, was already in the production queue, it was damage control this bitch or it was going to fail by default (which it did anyway, but details). None of this is more viisble than the refusal ending, which, while championed as an example of player choice, also pretty much boils down to a perfect synopsis of how that crop of writers felt about the playerbase refusing to accept their shit ending:

"You didn't like our endings? Fuck you then. Reapers fall, everyone dies."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Jaimas

kiwifarms.is
  19. The plot of Mass Effect 1 makes it clear that if Sovereign is prevented from accessing the Citadel and destroyed, then the Reaper threat is effectively over. They were hanging out deep in the middle of intergalactic space. Maybe even between mega clusters. Even their drives weren't powerful enough to get anywhere in those huge voids without a mass relay. It's only at the very end, literally the last minute or so of the game, that Shepard suddenly says "The Reapers are still out there".

I believe that an episodic series with some save import on top probably was the original intent, but somewhere late in development of the first game they decided it had to be a continuing story. Yet they had no idea how to do that. Even Drew Karpyshyn's "lol dark energy pollution" story doesn't really give you any kind of ending or plausible, satisfying way to deal with what the Reapers were hyped up to be without resorting to deus ex machina.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Your Weird Fetish

kiwifarms.is
  20. The easiest way to keep the ball rolling would be to simply state that the Catalyst (aka harbinger) is a liar (which is what I assumed) and go with destroy and then roll from there. Maybe be do some smaller scope games about the setting to let people enjoy the experiance of the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #1740 Emperor Julian, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.