Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
Not into anime movies (only seen a Tri-Gun one back in the day), but this was a good movie. The style of it is just visually awesome to me. If anything, just watch the first 10 minutes as its entertaining as fuck. YT uploaded it to their Movie section, so its free.
(If the media format doesn't work here is a direct link)

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
I just finished the new, "Netflix original" season of Top Boy, and it honestly blew me away. If you saw and even remotely liked The Wire, go watch all of Top Boy right now on Netflix.

(And watch in this order: first, "Top Boy: Summerhouse"⁠—which is the new name for the two, original BBC seasons/series of the show⁠—and then move on to "Top Boy," which just came out like a week ago.)

(EDIT: Based on what I'm reading on IMDB, apparently "Summerhouse" is a cropped version of the original BBC show in a different aspect ratio with new music replacing the BBC music license version. I would suggest seeking out the original two seasons online instead... but I'm sure "Summerhouse" is acceptable.)

I don't want to spend too much time sperging a wall of text that next to nobody will actually read, so let me just put it like this: Top Boy is an English crime drama that has all the novel-like complexity, huge cast, character depth, fantastic acting, grittiness, great soundtrack, and moral greyscale of The Wire. It's not as long (the first two seasons are like 4 episodes each, while the third is 10), but it's just as good. And apparently more is coming, which I couldn't be happier about.

Go watch it. (And turn on captions, innit. You'll need them.)
You'll like Gomorrah if you haven't seen it yet. I recommended it earlier itt for a lot of the same reasons you just wrote about Top Boy. I think the first two seasons are on Netflix still.

Rice Is Ready

Was she a great big fat person?
kiwifarms.net
The Screaming (2000)

It's an independent horror movie about... SCIENTOLOGY! If you like cheap and cheesey movies they don't get any better than this. It's actually very impressive how much they accomplished with a small budget. You can find it on the Spawn of The Devil 4-Pack DVD along with two other awesomely bad movies Night Crawlers and one of my favorites, HELLSPAWN!
hellspawn-menu (1).jpg

MV5BMTQ4MjM5MDY5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU5ODU4MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Titty Figurine

Internet Disaster Tourist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Evil Within, no relation to the games.

The farms would appreciate this more than most people but I'm still really not sure if I'm actually recommending it or just so wow about what I just saw and the story behind it that it's gotta go into words somewhere. Somewhere we can all laugh at a (real) dead guy's white elephant of a passion project and an actor unironically going full exceptional individual.

So a millionaire tweaker had some nightmares and thought, "Holy shit, this would make a great movie." With no filmmaking experience, $4mil, thirteen years, and untold quantities of amphetamines, he did it.

And then he fucking died before he could ever see it released.

The weirdest part of all of this is that it's not really that bad. It's not great either, but it's surprisingly good for what it is. It doesn't exactly make sense all the time, but it's strangely compelling. The whole thing revolves around an autistic man who has an evil reflection that tears him away from his thrilling life of chicken, ice cream, and hamster habitrails (no they're not underwater) to become a serial killer. And for the most part, it's played completely straight.

The sfx are on another level for a project that sounds like a bad joke about John McAfee, though. There are some fucking fantastic practical effects in this. If you like surreal horror or this bizarre backstory has your attention, it's up on Amazon Prime right now.

If you have zero interest in actually sitting through this beautiful mess but love a good spectacle, here are some articles about the movie instead.

"Oil, Drugs, and Special Effects: The Evil Within"

BMD Review: "The Evil Within is a Beautiful Mess You Must See"

Fuck The Guardian but this is a decent take.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Forget what some ignorant people have been saying about Joker, the actual movie that is directly about a killer incel is the borderline-slasher flick 10 to Midnight, starring Charles Bronson as a hardboiled cop trying to put away a serial killer who goes after women who reject him but is smart enough arrange alibis and not leave evidence behind (including committing his killings while totally starkers so he leaves no clothing fibers behind). Also shows how despite seeming to be at first a straightforward depiction of the cowboy cop who bends or breaks the rules to get those punks who get off on vague "technicalities" as happened so often in 70s and 80s flicks, how such a character might end up doing more harm than good.

And there's this moment.

Noideawhattopick

kiwifarms.net
Highly recommend the documentary Spin from Brian Springer from 1995.
Media sure hasn't changed but people are being left in the dark. Sweeping a political candidate under the rug, what a fucked up tactic.
Everyone who worked in the media for a while know this stuff, but for outsiders of that it's interesting.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:

Pee Wee Herman

Lord of the Playhouse
kiwifarms.net
Primal is a limited series from Genndy Tartakovsky, the same guy who made Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack. I only watched the first episode so far but it's already an incredible show.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
“He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.”

In the Mood for Love [2000] by Wong Kar-wai. This is a beautiful film, set again in 60's Hong Kong, the movie concerns two next door neighbors whose spouses are cheating on each other, so these two, as time goes on, begin to develop a platonic-love relationship, and begin to surrogate each other on how their spouses would react and enjoy as if their relationships hadn't become estranged. I'm not into romances but everything from the soundtrack to the color palette, time period and the little poems used in between segments like I used on top has a very enchanting charm to it. Go watch it.

la mort

do they pay you to screw that bear?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Night Of (HBO, 2016) is an eight episode miniseries, based on the first season of Criminal Justice (BBC, 2008 ).

The series opens with Naz, a college student living in Queens, New York, preparing to attend a party with friends. Unable to secure a ride to the party, he takes his father’s cab and unintentionally picks up a passenger, Andrea. Naz decides to spend the night with the young woman, who invites him to her home for drinking, drugs, and sex. When Naz awakes hours later, he finds her stabbed to death in her bedroom.

Riz Ahmed (Naz) and John Turturro (John Stone, the lawyer who represents Naz) are the main characters, and they do a great job playing their roles.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
The Andromeda Strain. (1971)

A hard sci-fi movie (based on a Crighton novel) that explores what happens when a deadly extraterrestrial virus enters the Earth's atmosphere and the only ones who can stop it are a team of scientists sequestered in a secret underground lab. The jumpsuits and lab environs may look like something out of a cheesy 60's sci fi, but it's clear a lot of work went into thinking what real world scientists would do (and what equipment they would use,) if they were ever forced to grapple with an alien virus.

Colossus: the Forbin Project (1970)

Feels like a Cold War relic, so if this movie were updated (and it totally should be,) the origin of the title computer might have less to do with defense (as in the original,) , and more to do with creating some kind of super-internet that goes rogue. Anyway, this movie starts slow, but things get really interesting once Colossus snaps its tether and decides humanity needs a little managing. The movie ends at the most intriguing part -asking the question: would you accept a computer taking over the world, if it promised to be benevolent and impartial? Or would you rather remain under the control of a bunch of hairless, self-interested apes? Freedom and risk or servitude and security? Which would you rather have? Would humanity wither or thrive if it no longer had to fight for anything?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Those are two of my favorite SF movies from that period. I was going to say the best of their respective years, but 1971, amazingly enough, also had THX 1138 and A Clockwork Orange.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
Halloween 3. I thought perhaps it was nostalgia, but it is still my second favourite of the series. Some small moments harm it a little, including a slightly over the top sequence near the end, and some poorly directed scenes that fail to convey whether a hiding character is in clear vision or not - this happens several times - but overall the production is above expectation for a slasher sequel and sometimes it looks really damn good. It has a particularly appealing ending which has echoes of Prince of Darkness/Event Horizon with the reveal of the world being immeasurably fucked but we don't get to see any of it.

The reputation of it being a Halloween film that ignores the characters and tone of the series is correct, but as somebody who didn't see it in the cinema and wasn't disappointed by that, this makes it a much better film for me. It has slight elements of 70s paranoid techno thrillers, or early Cronenberg-style sci-fi, or even Stephen King, which are entirely fascinating considering the unrelated place this came from.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recently watched Alien, Aliens and Predator for the first time. (I have watched the climax of Predator months back, but not the full movie.)

Preaching to the choir here, but these movies are just fantastic. Great action, great cinematography, they got them all.

I remember years back watching Alien vs. Predator from 2004. Might want to revisit that at some point.

“He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.”

In the Mood for Love [2000] by Wong Kar-wai. This is a beautiful film, set again in 60's Hong Kong, the movie concerns two next door neighbors whose spouses are cheating on each other, so these two, as time goes on, begin to develop a platonic-love relationship, and begin to surrogate each other on how their spouses would react and enjoy as if their relationships hadn't become estranged. I'm not into romances but everything from the soundtrack to the color palette, time period and the little poems used in between segments like I used on top has a very enchanting charm to it. Go watch it.

The soundtrack for that is amazing. As is the soundtrack to its successor 2046. From the tracks choice to the score by Shigeru Umebayashi, high quality albums. Both great films as well.

Oskar Dirlewanger

SS-Oberführer of 36th Waffen Grenadier Division
kiwifarms.net
MV5BMTMxNjYzNTg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY1MzIxNg@@._V1_.jpg

If you want Game of Thrones type shit that's much less shitty and much less stupid, and you can somehow find this turkish shit online in english, I thoroughly recommend this. First couple episodes are mostly romance oriented but later it becomes an intrigue extravaganza, basically it's like watching a live reenactment of a Crusader Kings II let's play.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Vecr

4str4staleatherbelt

AHHHHHH!
kiwifarms.net
There's a baseball documentary on Netflix called Screwball that covers the Biogenisis scandal. It features the main figures behind the scandal and presents the story in an entertaining way such as using children to act out real life events. It's humorous and filled with many twists and turns as well as interesting characters. Easily a 10/10 for documentaries.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino