MyPal browser is dead - Licensing spergfest kills browser for Windows XP

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Kot Johansson

kot
kiwifarms.net
unknown.png

6680e7dce9b8bd99b1e3ffd67f2dc0c048f15fa8.jpg

Most of the info on this post comes from this reddit post (archive), along with a few more sources.
1630485143467.png

Pale Moon is a modern fork of an old version of the famous Mozilla Firefox web browser. In 2016, Windows XP support was removed, followed by Windows Vista in 2018, leading developers to create forks that continue support for these aging operating systems, such as New Moon and MyPal, the latter being the focus of this thread. Now the Pale Moon developers have a history of harassing other developers for extremely petty reasons but this time they hit a new low.

When Feodor2 (the creator of MyPal) initially released his web browser, he only published the diffs with Pale Moon, which caused the Pale Moon developer and fat autist known as Matt A. Tobin to rage and say he's violating the MPL. Since it was an honest mistake, Feodor2 complies and publishes the full source code. Tobin seems content, but this would only be the beginning of Feodor2's problems with him.

The Pale Moon developers have another browser called Basilisk, another fork of Firefox. Feodor2 had made a fork of it called Centaury. For some reason, he decided to put the source code under a folder in the MyPal repo, with the Centaury repo consisting only of the releases and the obligatory README.md file. This gets the attention of Moonchild, a furry who just so happens to be the main developer behind Pale Moon and Basilisk. He cites another MPL violation. This in turn catches the eye of two more Pale Moon devs, one of them being Tobin yet again. Since this is the second "violation", Tobin retracts the rights to his code, even though, again, the source code was available and Feodor2 even gave him instructions on how to get it via git, but fatso doesn't care, so he forces him to delete his code. This is very hypocritical of him since according to his own rules he himself has violated the MPL by making a fork of Thunderbird without releasing the source code, making up excuses when confronted.

Anyway, since Feodor2 had had enough of the Pale Moon team, he deleted the github repo for MyPal, replacing it with only the README.md file, which announces his departure from the project, as well as discouraging anyone from engaging with the Pale Moon team.

As for the Pale Moon devs, they continued getting asspats from the Pale Moon forums, with Tobin saying that the people who develop these forks are "terrorists and criminals" because "most of their user base don't use legally licensed copies" and also because he apparently has a personal vendetta against MSFN forum users like Feodor2 or roytam1, the developer of the aforementioned New Moon browser, because they're supposedly trying to "convert new users or existing Pale Moon users to these XP hackjobs".

Mike Stoklasa

v=YbsRfRmL5Kc
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Pale Moon devs don't have much of a leg to stand on in any case considering their browser has become shittier way faster than Firefox ever did. The thing barely works anymore, glitches out all over the place and they banned noscript. I'm sticking with my assessment that open source programmers are faggots, even if their programs are decent.

OpenBASED

Ganoo Loonix users are looserz.
kiwifarms.net
Every modern GNU/FOSSfag extolls the virtues of forking other people's projects until THEIR project get forked. Then all of a sudden it's a personal attack against THEM!

If they would stop being attention whoring degenerates for a moment and actually give a shit about the well being of their projects, their code might actually help somebody for once.

Feline Supremacist

слава России! Ты никогда не станешь женщиной
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's for Windows XP. Why is anyone wasting their time developing software for Windows XP? Other than embdedded systems who is still browsing the web on Windows XP systems?
He also made a Mypal for old versions of OSX. I have an old iMac that runs Snow Leopard and Lubuntu. when I have to boot into Snow Leopard and look something up Mypal was better than Safari.

Tobin is a notorious lolcow (I'm surprised he doesn't have a thread here), the furry has had to rein him in several times. I think he also threw a tard rage over some fork for BSD and the guy just said fuck you and and your shitty browser even though Moonchild tried to smooth things over, deleting his repo, just like Fedor.

OpenBASED

kiwifarms.net
I think he also threw a tard rage over some fork for BSD and the guy just said fuck you and and your shitty browser even though Moonchild tried to smooth things over, deleting his repo, just like Fedor.
Oh, do you mean this chimpout in the openbsd-wip repository?

Basically what happened is that Tobin was angry that the port maintainers decided to use OpenBSD's internal libraries for security reasons instead of the ones that were bundled with Pale Moon itself.

Like Firefox, you have to essentially follow a checklist
to be able to distribute a binary with official branding.
Pale Meme's branding is not actually trademarked, so they don't really have a leg to stand on here.

Of course, this is irrelevant because it does not apply to source distribution, which was what was occurring here.

The repository itself wasn't deleted, as it's a place for ports that are currently being developed. The Pale Meme port itself WAS deleted.

Last edited:

Feline Supremacist

слава России! Ты никогда не станешь женщиной
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The repository itself wasn't deleted, as it's a place for ports that are currently being developed. The Pale Meme port itself WAS deleted.
I couldn't remember the exact details. He badgers people on the Pale Moon forums all the time so it was just one of the many tard rages he's thrown and Moonchild has to step in to wrangle him. I used it because Firefox has great extensions and then it went ham but now Pale Moon is a real mess so I switched to Brave.

I don't know what's up with those two but you know, furries.

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Like Firefox, you have to essentially follow a checklist
to be able to distribute a binary with official branding.
That is actually not true. The Pale Moon devs are just full of shit and like to LARP as Mozilla.
Firefox name and branding are protected by a trademark so Mozilla can dictate how it's used but Pale Moon's isn't.
The only trademarks on "Pale Moon" is from some brewery.

Licenses like MPL/GPL etc. are backed by copyright. You can't copyright a name, so those licenses can't control how you use the name.

OpenBASED

kiwifarms.net
Firefox name and branding are protected by a trademark so Mozilla can dictate how it's used but Pale Moon's isn't.
The only trademarks on "Pale Moon" is from some brewery.
I would have thought that Moon Child and his band of furniggers would have been smart enough to register a trademark before trying to enforce it.

But then again, furfags aren't exactly known for their high levels of intelligence.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's for Windows XP. Why is anyone wasting their time developing software for Windows XP? Other than embdedded systems who is still browsing the web on Windows XP systems?
Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding how you could possibly browse the web from behind however many electronic condoms it takes to keep an XP system unpozzed in the current year. I keep my XP install in a VM with no network access.

Wally

Wally
kiwifarms.net
Wow that really sucks. I used MyPal a lot.
Literally just retro pc gaming. XP is the last version of windows to keep good support for both newer and older titles. Interestingly, far more effort has been put into keeping 2K going and unpozzed than has XP. You can literally replace the 2K kernel with a patched kernel which provides many XP kernel functions re-implemented. Fan made updates to 2K continue to this day on MSFN.