Overrated Albums Thread -

Jones McCann

“O brave new world that has such people in it.”
kiwifarms.net
Everyone always says In The Aeroplane Over The Sea but something about it is so captivating. The distorted acoustic guitar, Mangum's voice, the thrumpets, the lyrics which are just so strange and descriptive. The best song is Oh Comely which is just fantastic the entire way. That being said there's a few songs I can't stand but others that are amazing. The fact that he's talking about Anne Frank the entire time is interesting and adds a unique later but I wouldn't doubt this guy has some kind of weird questionable obsession with her. I guess you kind of need a taste for the arty kind of music to actually like this album but I feel most of hate comes from with it's association with tumbler girls who wear too much eyeliner.

Grand_Ole_Ostritch

kiwifarms.net
It's not widely considered a "great album", but a lot of people are starting to look back fondly on this piece of shit:
shit music.jpg

Jones McCann

“O brave new world that has such people in it.”
kiwifarms.net
It's not widely considered a "great album", but a lot of people are starting to look back fondly on this piece of shit:
View attachment 2022358
Maybe it's nostalgia but I unironically still enjoy this album. It's definitely too cringe for me to listen to these days but I still like the style they were going for. The lead singer eventually split with the rest of the band and makes generic pop shit that's even worse now.

All Cops Are Based

kiwifarms.net
I nominate all of Led Zeppelin's catalog of plagiarized aural feces.
Oh come on. Lifting a few blues and folk numbers early on (and re Stairway to Heaven, a pretty generic chord progression used as the basis for a song that ultimately sounds nothing like the Spirit song they "plagiarized") doesn't make 90% of their catalog less original. What exactly are songs like "No Quarter" or "Four Sticks" plagiarizing?
They got bad publicity because they didn't fess up to their lifting (common practice back then) as readily as a lot of bands did, which morphed into this meme that they stole more music than any other band of that era, which isn't true at all.

Anyway. Basically most of the top 40 albums on RYM.
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless stands out to me as particularly overrated. The whole point is that it's this "swirling transcendent wall of sound" yet it's got these cheap plastic sounding drum triggers that screams 1991 as loud as any of the worst pop music from that year. You'd think in the grueling 2 years of studio perfectionism it took to produce that album they could have come up with some drum tracks that don't sound like shit.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2022358
Emo has unironically aged well when compared to today's music.

It didn't stack up at the time when you compared it to classic rock sure, but compared to what passes for music today at least it's some form of rock and at least it's... ya know.. music made for and by white people, it's actually incredible how "white" it is compared to something like WAP.

I'm not too familiar with Panic! At The Disco but tell me this isn't a catchy little ditty.

Goyaanisqatsi

The Clown World Ends With You
kiwifarms.net
Oh come on. Lifting a few blues and folk numbers early on (and re Stairway to Heaven, a pretty generic chord progression used as the basis for a song that ultimately sounds nothing like the Spirit song they "plagiarized") doesn't make 90% of their catalog less original. What exactly are songs like "No Quarter" or "Four Sticks" plagiarizing?
They got bad publicity because they didn't fess up to their lifting (common practice back then) as readily as a lot of bands did, which morphed into this meme that they stole more music than any other band of that era, which isn't true at all.

Anyway. Basically most of the top 40 albums on RYM.
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless stands out to me as particularly overrated. The whole point is that it's this "swirling transcendent wall of sound" yet it's got these cheap plastic sounding drum triggers that screams 1991 as loud as any of the worst pop music from that year. You'd think in the grueling 2 years of studio perfectionism it took to produce that album they could have come up with some drum tracks that don't sound like shit.

I largely agree with you. While you can always make the argument for plagiarism, I don't think it should completely take away from the actual performances which stand the test of time in my opinion. Also helps that John Paul Jones and John Bonham might be my favorite all-time rhythm section outside of Geddy Lee/Neil Peart & Aaron Harris/Jeff Caxide.

But goddamn, do I love Loveless. It's not a perfect album by any means (it's not even my favorite shoegaze album, that going to Souvlaki and even Nowhere or Going Blank Again) but I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. You do make a good point about the sub-par drums though.

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
EDIT: deleted actual comment due to blasphemy
Did you miss the part where I said it aged well compared to the over 9000 soundcloud mumble rappers of today? You really would rather listen to that?

And did you miss the part where I said at least it's "white" music, is there any popular music left that isn't rap these days?

TheProdigalStunna

I'm not giving back the documents
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Unlistenable, pretentious wank.
Out of curiosity, was it your first Beefheart album? Don't start with Trout Mask Replica (although it is a masterpiece). Something like Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) is usually where I would direct people. It's a much more accessible album, but you still get a clear picture of what Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band are about:

Ozma (ZeTrannyJanny)

"I remember drinking Kool-Aid"-Buzz Osbourne
kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's nostalgia but I unironically still enjoy this album. It's definitely too cringe for me to listen to these days but I still like the style they were going for. The lead singer eventually split with the rest of the band and makes generic pop shit that's even worse now.
Try naming any of the album's tracks though LOL.

Nobue

kiwifarms.net
Nevermind (Nirvana).

Not just putting down Nirvana, I like In Utero quite a bit.
Nevermind was one of the first albums I owned, and I listened to it almost every day for a year. A couple decades of hearing the hits regularly made me sick of it.