Overrated Albums Thread -

ClownBrew

Drink the brew!
kiwifarms.net
Heaven and Hell and Paranoid from Sabbath. Both are pretty boring albums saved by Neon Knights and by Paranoid/Fairies Wear Boots.

The two Sab albums I always slam are:

-"Born Again" because Ian Gillan is about as doom metal as Madonna

-that shitty 90s album that was produced by a rapper and they had to work with random drummers because that was the year when Cozy crashed his bike again like an absolute cow.

1488 others

kiwifarms.net
in the 'ambient' scene, william basinski disintegration loops. dude made up some (totally not fake and gay) story of finding the decaying tapes and listening to them on 9/11 as the towers burned or some shit. slapped the burning towers on the cover and pitchfork et al sniffed up his farts.

Narcoleptic Rowlet

Respectable Humane
kiwifarms.net
Politics aside, I just don't think this album (or any RATM album for that matter) is good. De La Rocha is awful and Morello and co. aren't good enough to carry him.
RageAgainsttheMachineRageAgainsttheMachine.jpg

66andtwothirds

kiwifarms.net
To pimp a butterfly

Tha carter II

The Blueprint or really any JAY Z album

Dookie

OK Computer

(What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Take Care

qu_rahn

kiwifarms.net
Anyway. Basically most of the top 40 albums on RYM.
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless stands out to me as particularly overrated. The whole point is that it's this "swirling transcendent wall of sound" yet it's got these cheap plastic sounding drum triggers that screams 1991 as loud as any of the worst pop music from that year. You'd think in the grueling 2 years of studio perfectionism it took to produce that album they could have come up with some drum tracks that don't sound like shit.
The drums on Loomer sound great

Blue Screen of Death

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Politics aside, I just don't think this album (or any RATM album for that matter) is good. De La Rocha is awful and Morello and co. aren't good enough to carry him.
Even as a huge fan of all of RATM's work, the self-titled album is really a cut above the rest.
Everything after it seemed a little bit more forced in comparison, even if I still think the work is good.

NoFreePasses

gimmie $1000 for a tablet
kiwifarms.net
the-marshall-mathers-lp-eminem-medium-square.jpg

I literally don't get how people can think of this as a masterpiece, it feels like a step down from his previous album with sluggish production and too much filler. The best part about it is the energy Eminem gives in his performances.

Honestly if it were trimmed down and condensed then maybe it might be better but as it stands it's bloated and boring.

LolRaccoon

Trash panda and trash boat
kiwifarms.net
I didn't really get Purple Rain. I think "When Doves Cry" was good, and the title track was one of those songs that sounded better when somebody else covered it. Maybe if I saw the movie, I'd get more out of it, but still.

Marukyu

Bonjour, gentlemen.
kiwifarms.net
Audioslave's first album really proved how dead weight de la Rocha was.

Countdown to Extinction from Megadeth was the beginning of the decline yet it seems to be the only album people play songs from, even though the album itself is bloated and front loaded.
718PvXmDTkL._SL1081_.jpg

Great production quality though, wish their early shit had production more fitting of their quality.

Idiot Asshole

kiwifarms.net
Countdown to Extinction from Megadeth was the beginning of the decline yet it seems to be the only album people play songs from, even though the album itself is bloated and front loaded.
Countdown is mediocre at the best of times. I can't think of a bigger step down in all of thrash metal than from Rust in Peace (possibly the greatest thrash LP ever) to this commercial tripe. And the production is terrible; I mean from a professional standpoint it's great and sounds sonically even but there's no personality to it. It's the very definition of soulless. In my opinion it's an even bigger example of a sellout album than Metallica's S/T, at least that album's production emphasized the heaviness of the material. Also Sweating Bullets is a terrible song.

Marukyu

Bonjour, gentlemen.
kiwifarms.net
Countdown is mediocre at the best of times. I can't think of a bigger step down in all of thrash metal than from Rust in Peace (possibly the greatest thrash LP ever) to this commercial tripe. And the production is terrible; I mean from a professional standpoint it's great and sounds sonically even but there's no personality to it.
Production is an overrated metric anyway and the main reason I think music is so soulless nowadays.
Slight Megadeth tangent but those 2004 remixes are an affront to God and Dave Mustaine is surely going to hell for what he did to his early work, which are sometimes the only mixes available for normies to stream.